PDA

View Full Version : Hiker washing machine

Newb
08-16-2005, 13:08
I was talking to an acquaintance last night at the local pub (I was drinking lemonade mom, I swear!) and he turned out to be an avid hiker. He told me about a method he uses to wash his socks, skivvies, etc...while he's on the move. Basically, he keeps a large ziploc bag with him and will put the offending laundry in there with some aqua-lather or camp suds and some water. As he hikes it sloshes around and at least kills off the stink and removes some filth. Then, he'll switch the water out a couple of times to rinse them and then hang 'em on his pack to dry.

The only question I had was what people thought of a guy hiking down the trail with his skivvies flapping off the back :jump

Anyways, just a suggestion on something I might try.

rgarling
08-16-2005, 13:47
I do this, but there is no need to walk around carrying that extra water weight. Just fill your washing machine while eating lunch or cooking dinner, and roll it around a little when you think about it. It works very well.

TakeABreak
08-16-2005, 16:00
I have done similar with socks and T-shirts, and hang from from pack. My Skivvies, I have do while at camp and hang over a branch to dry, because I don't carry extra. I also found that you should put the drying clothes in a mesh bag and hang it from the pack, to keep from losing something on the trail and not knowing something is missing until it is too late.

Kerosene
08-16-2005, 16:54
Of course, this assumes that the clothes will actually dry with all the rain and humidity you get to deal with on the AT. I have a hard enough time getting my sweaty socks to dry hanging off my pack.

Peaks
08-16-2005, 17:00
Why wear skivvies when hiking?