PDA

View Full Version : Ipads, tablets on the trail for blogging.....

Sheriff Cougar
10-08-2013, 22:40
Have any of you tried using an Ipad or tablet for journaling or blogging while hiking the trail? Any suggestions other than a smartphone to use for journaling online? Thanks for any input.

Slo-go'en
10-08-2013, 22:49
Tablets of various flavors are becoming popular with us non-smartphone users. There's a wide choice of 7" Androd tablets to pick from in the $100 +/- price range. Look for one with GPS built in, that could be handy to have.

Sheriff Cougar
10-08-2013, 23:00
Thanks for the info, Slo. If I get one it will need to have a usb port to upload photos.

QHShowoman
10-09-2013, 06:11
Remember when Pocketmail was the device of choice for updating blogs from the AT? That wasn't even that long ago!

bigcranky
10-09-2013, 08:27
I've often thought that a small tablet would be the ideal device for a long hike. It's large enough to easily type journal entries or look at maps, but smaller and lighter than a laptop or a full size tablet. Something with 3G or 4G service would also work as a mobile phone using Skype or Google, and would get the same intermittent service that any smartphone gets in the mountains. The battery life is usually better than a smartphone, too. I guess the downside for some folks is that the table would ride inside the pack, and not in a pocket like a phone, but my phone is always inside my pack anyway.

My wife got an iPad mini last year, and it seems just about perfect except it's not cheap of course.

Hrdlee
10-09-2013, 10:22
iPad mini and a charger - it's almost become a necessity

Journaling, reading, field guides, maps, and a camera

Audubon birding guide to identify bird calls is the main reason I started carrying it

Slo-go'en
10-09-2013, 10:31
Thanks for the info, Slo. If I get one it will need to have a usb port to upload photos.

They all have a USB port and wi-fi. Most have a microSD slot which is the easiest way to transfer pictures. That's the one thing my Kindle Fire doesn't have and the main reason I'm looking to replace it. I had to wait until I found a PC I could use to transfer pictures via USB.

Other then that, I found it very useful for checking email, updating Facebook and getting weather reports for the next few days while in town. For some reason, I wasn't able to download the mobile app for White Blaze, making this site a bit difficult to use. Not having to rely on hostel, libary or motel computers makes life a bit easier.

capehiker
10-09-2013, 10:43
You can also go with an Eye-Fi card for your camera. It creates its own wifi newtwork and will deliver your images from your camera to your tablet without a traditional wifi connection. I am using this method now as a test run and am pleased with it so far. It has been reliable and steady. The Eye-fi cards have come a long way since its introduction.

Coffee
10-09-2013, 10:45
I suggest waiting for Apple's new iPad lineup expected this month. The mini is likely to get lighter and (maybe) cheaper. Plus it is very likely to have the much improved Retina display. If the weight gets under 10 ounces it will be very tempting, particularly for those of us who do not carry a cell phone on the trail.

GreatDane
10-09-2013, 17:48
Man, I love WB! Every time I have a question, the answer (or many answers!) appears. :)

Theosus
10-09-2013, 22:22
If I was just using it for blogging, I would take my iphone and one of apple's keyboards. I don't like typing a lot on a virtual keyboard, I'm much faster with a real keyboard. Plus, at night with the screen on low brightness the battery life would probably be pretty good. I know I can get several days out of my phone out of one charge, if it is only on at night on airplane mode. Since I have the phone anyway, the keyboard is the only extra bulk/weight, but they aren't that light, and you would have to remember to take the battery out when you jam it in your pack. But it would be harder to damage than an ipad's screen!
I haven't used nother tablet besides the ipad and ipad mini (and I would definitely take a mini over the full size), but a friend of mine has another brand that has served him well on the trail recently (not sure the make). He's hiked the southern half of the AT in sections, so I trust his advice, although he only started carrying his tablet recently, and that's mainly for recording his hike tracks and reading in camp. He doesn't generally use it during a hike.

Sheriff Cougar
10-12-2013, 23:07
Thanks for all the info, folks. I will be taking your advice to make my final decision. Much appreciated.

perrymk
10-13-2013, 08:40
They all have a USB port and wi-fi. Most have a microSD slot which is the easiest way to transfer pictures. That's the one thing my Kindle Fire doesn't have and the main reason I'm looking to replace it. I had to wait until I found a PC I could use to transfer pictures via USB.
I may be misunderstanding something as I am not a techno-wiz, but if you have a USB port you may be able to use a USB card readers such as this (http://www.amazon.com/ELAGO-Mobile-Reader-World-Smallest-EL-RD-012/dp/B002K7EJDK/ref=sr_1_sc_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381667858&sr=1-16-spell&keywords=usb+miscro+sd) one.

Poedog
10-13-2013, 16:59
iPad mini and a charger - it's almost become a necessity

Food, water, shelter...those are necessities. An iPad being a necessity for a thru hike is like saying power windows are necessary to drive a car.

SCRUB HIKER
10-14-2013, 01:09
Food, water, shelter...those are necessities. An iPad being a necessity for a thru hike is like saying power windows are necessary to drive a car.

That's why he said "almost a necessity," not "it's a necessity."

I knew several people carrying tablets on the PCT this year, but I don't know which models they were using. I would consider one for my next hike instead of my smartphone, which is what I used for camera/maps/apps/music/blogging (http://scrubhiker.blogspot.com) this time around. The smartphone worked out alright, but typing on it was more trouble than it was worth, and the free Blogger app I used limited what I could post and how I could post it. Tablets enable some people to make incredibly thorough blogs (http://mexicotocanada2013.wordpress.com/blog-posts/). If you're serious about blogging for your upcoming hike and you don't anticipate needing a phone very often, I would absolutely get a tablet and use Google Voice/use a pay phone/borrow a friend's phone whenever you need to make a call.

jesse
10-14-2013, 04:31
Journaling or blogging. Two things that never occurred to me to do while hiking. A non necessity.

QHShowoman
10-14-2013, 08:47
Journaling or blogging. Two things that never occurred to me to do while hiking. A non necessity.

For you.

Now, despite many attempts, I'm not ra blogger or journaler, but if I'm undertaking a once in a lifetime event like thru hiking, I'd definitely want some way to jot down at least the highlights of my journey.

I'd be okay with just my iPhone and an external charger, like the Anker Astro. The 15000mAh model will charge an iPhone several times over on a single, full charge and if you keep your phone on airplane mode most of the time, you'll have plenty of juice in between town stops where you can recharge both devices.

The iPhone serves as a camera, phone, eReader and journaling device all rolled into one.

capehiker
10-14-2013, 09:06
On a couple of Thru hike videos I noticed that a few write side notes in the AWOL guide which seems like a good idea. I'm going to start using my iphone.

OT: Scrub- that link you embedded (through journals) is great. I just spent an hour reading through her blog. Not sure I will get that detailed but that is a great blog to read.

quasarr
10-14-2013, 14:02
For me, the weight of a tablet is not worth it. I have the iPad mini and I absolutely love it but I would not bring it on a thru hike. Most of the new smart phones are pretty big, easy to type on, and some of them have good cameras as well. For example the Nokia Lumia 1020 has an excellent camera and weighs only 5.6 oz!! WOW! That's 5oz less and much more front-pocked friendly than the iPad mini. Since a smart phone is a triple-use item (phone, camera, internet) I think this is totally worth it. But a tablet is more single use, internet only. If blogging is REALLY important it could be worth it, but if you are not trying to make history with your blog then you can do a fine job on a smart phone with no extra effort.

Poedog
10-15-2013, 20:12
That's why he said "almost a necessity," not "it's a necessity."

The addition of an adverb doesn't change the definition of necessity. It's not even close to being "almost a necessity".

Poedog
10-15-2013, 20:29
For you.

Now, despite many attempts, I'm not ra blogger or journaler, but if I'm undertaking a once in a lifetime event like thru hiking, I'd definitely want some way to jot down at least the highlights of my journey.

What's with the aversion to pen/pencil and paper? It's light, free, readily available, and requires no batteries or recharging.

QHShowoman
10-15-2013, 21:19
What's with the aversion to pen/pencil and paper? It's light, free, readily available, and requires no batteries or recharging.

Because my handwriting is so terrible I can't even read it.

Poedog
10-15-2013, 21:34
Because my handwriting is so terrible I can't even read it.
Fair enough, lol

Gonecampn
10-15-2013, 21:53
I always carry a small journal & pen. But I do carry my Note II phone, which is almost the size of my IPad mini ;) I do this primarily because it had all of my Kindle books on it. I like to read at night. The places we hike almost never have phone service.

zelph
10-18-2013, 12:26
I'm interested in getting a pad in the lower price ranges such as the 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. Anyone out there use one?

SCRUB HIKER
10-18-2013, 13:32
The addition of an adverb doesn't change the definition of necessity. It's not even close to being "almost a necessity".

Not an adverb here. Don't even get me started.

Because you can't write a blog on pencil and paper (or maybe you could, but you'd have to send the manuscripts home for someone to transcribe onto a computer and post, and that seems unnecessarily time-consuming and reliant on third parties).

The OP's original question was: Any suggestions on tablets one might use for blogging while thru-hiking? Yours and Jesse's responses--RAH RAH YOU DON'T NEED THEM ELECTRIC THINGERMAJIGS--does not help answer the question. All you're really saying is, "I don't need those." No one cares if you need those, that wasn't the question. I personally don't think I need a double-wall tent to thru-hike, but every time someone posts a question about double-wall tents, I don't intrude on the thread and say, "DUDE YOU DON'T NEED A TENT JUST USE A TARP." Because that would be obnoxious, and it wouldn't help the OP with his problem.

For some reason, any question about modern electronic devices (phones, iPods, tablets, Kindles) inspires at least one--and usually more than that--WB users to announce that no one needs them. Wow, bold statement! And also completely unhelpful. I'm not disagreeing with anyone because I know quite well that you can thru-hike without electronics. It's just an opinion that I wish all you non-electronics-users just keep to yourselves. Some people are going to be using those devices on hikes now and for the rest of time. Deal.

Poedog
10-18-2013, 13:50
Not an adverb here. Don't even get me started.
I guess the proceeding vowel sound makes it an indefinite article, huh? Checked out your blog. Congrats on your finish.

Coffee
10-22-2013, 17:33
So Apple released the new iPad lineup today and I'm disappointed. The mini now has retina, a prerequisite for my use of the device. However, it has gained weight and is now 12 ounces. The prior version of the iPad mini was an ounce lighter. It probably needs to get down to the 8 ounce range to be considered a viable trail device. Of course, Apple is not designing these products with the ultra niche market of lightweight backpackers in mind.

Looks like I'll finally bite the bullet and join the smart phone revolution next year, probably with the IPhone 5s.

Sheriff Cougar
02-20-2014, 22:43
Wish I could get a pocket mail even if there is no service for them.

Sheriff Cougar
02-20-2014, 22:44
Thanks, Scrubhiker.

Sheriff Cougar
02-20-2014, 22:45
I like the 4g connectivity. Will come in handy if there is no wifi available.

Sheriff Cougar
02-20-2014, 22:48
My thoughts exactly.

Sheriff Cougar
02-20-2014, 22:58
I will be looking into this. Thanks.

10-K
02-20-2014, 23:03
So Apple released the new iPad lineup today and I'm disappointed. The mini now has retina, a prerequisite for my use of the device. However, it has gained weight and is now 12 ounces. The prior version of the iPad mini was an ounce lighter. It probably needs to get down to the 8 ounce range to be considered a viable trail device. Of course, Apple is not designing these products with the ultra niche market of lightweight backpackers in mind.

Looks like I'll finally bite the bullet and join the smart phone revolution next year, probably with the IPhone 5s.

I'm taking my iPad Mini on the PCT this year so I can journal. I'm sorely tempted to scan the guidebook as a PDF and transfer that to the iPad as well but I'm too impatient to sit there for hours doing it.

I swapped the Otterbox for a Lifeproof case and it's under a pound (I'm pretty sure it's right at 16 oz with case - I'd have to double check, but that's close.).

Sheriff Cougar
02-20-2014, 23:04
Scrubhiker, thanks for posting the link for your blog. Impressive!

BrianLe
02-21-2014, 11:25
As someone said earlier: "If I was just using it for blogging, I would take my iphone and one of apple's keyboards."

This is what I do, though in my case with an Android phone and folding blutooth keyboard.
Apart from the weight and packing it safely, my issue with a tablet is that my phone is also my only camera on trail. Even the smallest tablet would be too heavy and bulky to hang from a packstrap, and a camera that's not ready to hand might as well be left at home.

Indeed as someone else suggested, some phones are getting pretty big, blurring the lines between phone and tablet. While a bigger screen is certainly nice, my rule of thumb would be "no bigger than can hang comfortably in a case on a packstrap".

The blutooth folding keyboard does indeed make it a lot easier for me to blog, writing decent sized entries every day on trail and not hating the experience. I've done this on three thru-hikes in the U.S. and again on the Camino in Spain this past September. I find the added weight of the keyboard pays off for me in terms of a much more complete recording of the experience, written on-the-spot while the experience of the day is still fresh. Rather than, say, scratching out a few hieroglyphics on scratch paper to try to decipher later. Or using voice recordings that are tedious to transcribe later, and inevitably written from a "post" point of view rather than a "this is happening now" perspective. Or any other blogging option that I can think of.

I'm kind of surprised that so few people go this route, but each to their own!

Shutter
02-21-2014, 11:33
I'm taking my iPad Mini on the PCT this year so I can journal. I'm sorely tempted to scan the guidebook as a PDF and transfer that to the iPad as well but I'm too impatient to sit there for hours doing it.

I swapped the Otterbox for a Lifeproof case and it's under a pound (I'm pretty sure it's right at 16 oz with case - I'd have to double check, but that's close.).

Why not just keep it in a ziploc bag instead of the Otterbox or Lifeproof? Capacitive touch screens still work through a ziploc. I made a lightweight case for my kindle with a cloth pocket and cardboard, weighs less than 1oz.

I still don't understand why someone would take a 7" tablet or larger on a thru-hike IF you have a smart phone already. Sure the smartphone isn't as comfortable to type on than a 7" but backpacking is all about compromises and having 2 devices, 1 with less functionality but just a bit larger is redundant in my eyes. But to each their own. I have a Nexus 5 and have considered selling it for a Note 3 to have the best of both worlds.

BTW: I'm hitting the PCT this year as well and this weekend I'm absolutely scanning Yogi's book (trail guide sections only of course) into PDF and putting it on my phone and kindle. I paid $45 for the damn thing and I want it available to me digitally as well as on paper.

10-K
02-21-2014, 13:59
I still don't understand why someone would take a 7" tablet or larger on a thru-hike IF you have a smart phone already.

Talk to me in 20 years when you're my age.... :)

Coffee
02-21-2014, 14:18
I'm thinking about trying something a bit different on my thru hike of the Colorado Trail this year. I plan to use a bounce box and will likely include one of the cheaper small tablets in the box along with other things I plan to use only in town. I'll have the box in Denver, send it to Breckenridge, then to Creede, and then to Durango. While I will not have access to the tablet all the time, the upside is that I won't have to carry it while hiking and I will be able to catch up on email and world events on a couple of town stops as well as have it from my travel to Colorado in both directions. I don't carry a smart phone being too cheap for the voice/data plans but I have been looking at Republic Wireless as a possible option. If I go that route, I'll have to think about carrying it vs. having it in my bounce box. This is all experimentation prior to the PCT next year as there is no way I can be totally out of the loop for five months without access to email, news, etc. I do journal but I don't maintain a blog. Not sure if I even want to do that or not.

Shutter
02-21-2014, 14:40
Talk to me in 20 years when you're my age.... :)

Heh, true, but there are a lot of people on WB and the FB PCT group planning on taking a tablet whom are in their 20s and 30s. Now that I think of it.

I carry a kindle which is 7.5oz and has much less functionality than a tablet, but I love reading on it. At only 2.5oz lighter than an iPad Mini or an Android 7" I guess I should shut my big mouth :)

So if you take a full iPad Air (16oz) or Kindle HDX (13oz), that's not too much more than my kindle (7.5oz) and phone(4.6oz). Yup, I'll shut up now.

So 10-k, since you'll have that nice big iPad, I nominate you to host Game of Thrones parties every Monday all along the Mojave and High Sierra's. I'll bring the Snickers.

GirlfromOZ
02-21-2014, 18:48
Have you considered trying one of the newer hybrid smart phones? Sometimes referred to as 'Phablets'

I've been considering a Nokia Lumia 1520 for my hike, slightly larger than the average smart phone but just smaller than a tablet.

Pro: Very impressive advertised battery life. 20mp camera. 2gb Ram. 6inch screen. 210g

Con: Expensive and new to market so few practical use reviews available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheriff Cougar
02-21-2014, 21:55
No I have not considered a smart phone. I have decided I don't want one. A tablet is more along the lines of what I am considering.