PDA

View Full Version : Where would you choose to do a 5 day hike?

FloridaChris
10-09-2013, 08:15
Hey everyone,

Just joined the community and this is my first post! So, I have been yearning to get back into the mountainous outdoors and do some backpacking. Living in Florida I am always outdoors, but it's always flat land and saltwater. I have no complaints, but I miss the refreshing mountain air.

As a kid I grew up in the Boy Scouts and did numerous week-long hiking adventures through the AT with various summer camps. I would say I was able to cover a fair amount (30%) of the NC/Tenn trails and loved the area. I also was able to get out west and do some backpacking through CO and NV; covering over 70 miles in 10 days, which I consider impressive considering the elevation changes we covered.

Anyways, I am trying to plan a trip for the Spring 2014 time and wanted to get some insight from the more experienced hikers on their "best" part of the trail. The plan is to do the hike with a group of guys (3-4) who are all experienced hikers (fellow Boy Scouts) for about 5-6 days. After the trail, we plan to hang out in some of the local towns and do some additional activities; maybe a little mountain biking, definitely some whitewater rafting, tour local breweries, and enjoy the local cuisine! I know this seems like a lot, but I am just trying to figure out a part of the trail that might have all these amenities near by (within 50 miles).

Of course, the most important part is the scenery! We really wish to hike in the mountainous forest along creeks and rivers, especially since we won't be doing mail drops we'll need to be close to fresh water every day. From what I have read, a lot of NH and ME is very rocky and steep elevations, so that doesn't seem to be the route we are aiming for. We are willing to drive to any part of the trail, so location isn't an issue.

As of right now, the GSMNP seems to be our best bet with Ashville so close. They have the Broad River for rafting, a huge beer scene, and the BBQ around there is amazing. Although, I would like to get more suggestions, as I have hiked this part of the trail before and I was hoping my dog could tag along (GSMNP doesn't allow dogs).

Thanks in advance guys and looking to learn from this community!

FloridaChris
10-09-2013, 08:15
Sorry for the small text. Not sure why it did that.

bigcranky
10-09-2013, 08:24
Asheville is great. The Smokies are very nice but they are a major PITA to hike, given that you need a permit and a shelter or campsite reservation for each night. If it were me I would hike from US 64 at Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam, through the Nantahala Mountains. It's about 60 miles of terrific mountain scenery, with an easy shuttle and good parking at the dam. One of the nicest sections in the South IMHO. Halfway through you'll cross the Nantahala River at Nantahala Outdoor Center, where you can get a nice meal and a shower and even a bunk if you like. They also offer rafting opportunities. Dogs are allowed on this section.

Weather-man
10-09-2013, 08:46
Chris, have you considered just hiking the 1st NOBO miles of the AT from Springer? Perhaps Springer to Unicoi or Dick's creek gap? You could bail there, get picked up and begin phase 2 of the adventure.

There's the Hiker Hostel to use as a "base of operations" (park vehicles, lodging, shuttle, etc..) and the local area seems to have everything you seek though perhaps not to volume that Asheville provides. The owners of the the hiker hostel, Leigh and Josh, are wonderful folks and are set-up to support exactly what your looking for.

- Ellijay is known for great mountain biking and has businesses that cater to that crowd ( http://www.mulberrygap.com )

- The Helen area has OK water rafting on the chattahoochee river though not what I'd consider "white water". Springtime can get a bit lively though.
( http://www.southeasternexpeditions.com ). There's also Helen, which is touristy, but has decent German food and lots of German beer.

- Dahlonega has great little restuarants in the town square and plenty of local micro-brews from the Atlanta breweries. N.GA college is right there if that tells you anything... There's also Wolf Mountain Wineries that is great relaxing get-away and has a Sunday brunch that is world class.
( http://www.wolfmountainvineyards.com ) You'll need reservations unless you want to beg a seat as I normally do.

The hiking, as you probably know, is fairly easy and there are plenty of bail out points if your plans change. The scenery is very pretty, especially when the leaves are just budding and you can still see all of the vistas. You should also be able to catch wild flowers starting in early April, depending in the weather. The only down side is that the trail is crowded, especially in thru-hiker season. That might be a plus though, especially if you guys are amenable to meeting and conversing with eclectic folks!

I'll follow this thread because I'm always interested in similar hikes and eats....great way for me to spend daddy-daughter time. I'm interested in what you decide. Good lick and enjoy.

FloridaChris
10-09-2013, 09:52
Thanks for the advice bigcranky and Weather-man!

bigcranky - I like that area. Have hiked it a few times. I thought it was part of the GSMNP though. Where can I find more to verify that dogs are allowed? Also, is this part of the trail I need to make "reservations" for camp sites too?

Weather-man - I like the suggestion, I have have only hiked the beginning of the trail just a few miles as a young boy with my grandfather. That would be a fun and nostaglic place to start. I have also done rafting on the Chattahoochee river too, not much whitewater from what I recall just COLD water! I like all the options of the area though and Atlanta being near by is a huge plus for additional to-do's.

I am also curious to hear about trails up North. Maybe PA, Mass, and VT. Also, when mentioning trail marks can you please include the state and a nearby town? I am trying to re-familizarize myself with everything and it helps out a little easier.

FloridaChris
10-09-2013, 09:55
Weather-man - Nice pit by the way. My boy looks just like him/her. One of the best breeds in the world.

Cookerhiker
10-09-2013, 11:11
Asheville is great. The Smokies are very nice but they are a major PITA to hike, given that you need a permit and a shelter or campsite reservation for each night. If it were me I would hike from US 64 at Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam, through the Nantahala Mountains. It's about 60 miles of terrific mountain scenery, with an easy shuttle and good parking at the dam. One of the nicest sections in the South IMHO. Halfway through you'll cross the Nantahala River at Nantahala Outdoor Center, where you can get a nice meal and a shower and even a bunk if you like. They also offer rafting opportunities. Dogs are allowed on this section.

I was also going to suggest this stretch. It's a tough one so make sure you guys work out aerobically beforehand.

Mr. Bumpy
10-09-2013, 19:20
Loop hike out of Damascus going north using the Iron Mt. Trail and the AT.

or

For a shorter hike but more town/bike/boating options do the Art Loeb Trail in Pisgah Forest. The northern end, which is the more traditional place to start, is at Boy Scout Camp Daniel Boone.

FloridaChris
10-11-2013, 14:12
I've done the trail out at Daniel Boone while in Scouts.

I'll looking into the Iron Mt. Trail. What do you mean by loop hike?

RED-DOG
10-11-2013, 17:03
I would do the Hot Springs N.C to Erwin T.N, that's a great five day hike, with great town's on both ends, with some Awesome rafting in both Locations plus other activities and also great Hostels in both towns, that would make for a Awesome 5-6 day Adventure.

liberty lover
10-11-2013, 21:57
Chris,If you choose PA,You could do Port Clinton to Delaware Water Gap.It is almost 80 miles and covers the better views in PA.Happy trails wherever you go.

Mr. Bumpy
10-13-2013, 20:31
If you got the Trails Illustrated map # 786 for the Mt. Rogers area you will see many ways to use some of the trails including the Va. Creeper to make a loop out of Damascus of about 80-100 miles depending what you did. You could even use the Va. Creeper trail if you planned to use it on a weekday. Enjoy! I was just up there this weekend.

bigcranky
10-13-2013, 21:36
bigcranky - I like that area. Have hiked it a few times. I thought it was part of the GSMNP though. Where can I find more to verify that dogs are allowed? Also, is this part of the trail I need to make "reservations" for camp sites too?

South of Fontana Dam is not part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I can't really find anything that says that dogs are allowed in that stretch -- they aren't banned, and I've seen plenty of hikers with dogs in the Nantahalas. (North of Fontana Dam is the Smokies. No dogs.)