PDA

View Full Version : Timing & Direction for Virginia section hike

Coffee
10-09-2013, 10:53
I'm putting together my hiking plans for 2014. I'm going to either thru hike the Colorado Trail (80% chance) or PCT (20% chance). If I hike the CT, it will be in mid-late summer and I will also have time for a longish AT section hike earlier in the year. I'm thinking of hiking the full length of the AT in Virginia sometime in the spring. Based on what I know of the climate in the state based on prior hikes, I think that an April 1 start date would make sense and I would plan on taking 5-6 weeks. I would be inclined to hike southbound starting from Harpers Ferry and ending in Damascus in mid May hopefully right around Trail Days. I figure that going southbound will provide more solitude in the early part of the hike which will be way before the NOBO thrus are in the area. I expect that I would meet some early NOBO thrus as I approach southern VA and, of course, at trail days but that I wouldn't get into any real crowded conditions until the very end of the hike.

Any opinions on timing and/or direction of the hike would be helpful.

Cookerhiker
10-09-2013, 11:05
I think it's a very sound plan and that you'll enjoy it very much.

You might miss many of the facilities i.e. restaurants in Shenandoah NP but that's no big deal as long as you're aware.

Coffee
10-09-2013, 11:09
I think it's a very sound plan and that you'll enjoy it very much.

You might miss many of the facilities i.e. restaurants in Shenandoah NP but that's no big deal as long as you're aware.

I can't find the opening/closing dates for SNP facilities due to the shutdown but I'm pretty sure that most of them will be closed in early-mid April. Big Meadows might be opening around that time. Not that big of a deal if I stop in Front Royal for a resupply.

Cookerhiker
10-09-2013, 11:13
I can't find the opening/closing dates for SNP facilities due to the shutdown but I'm pretty sure that most of them will be closed in early-mid April. Big Meadows might be opening around that time. Not that big of a deal if I stop in Front Royal for a resupply.

I think Skyland might open before Big Meadows - you can get a decent meal there and an expensive room - good option if the weather is particularly insufferable.

peakbagger
10-09-2013, 11:16
I did a similar hike in 2002. Started April 1st at the south gate of SNP. It was quite cold on the ridgelines for two weeks. Some clear nights in the 20's and short days, occasional ice in the water bottle in the AM. Luckily most shelters were located to catch the early morning sun plus plenty of firewood from winter. We were doing car supported so we would drive south 4 or 5 hiking days and hike north to one car then flip south the next week. Very few if any folks on the trail for three weeks except a weekender or two. Last two weeks heading toward Damascus it got busier, we started getting large groups of thru hikers descending on full shelters at or after sunset many with a large sense of entitlement/party attitude. Last week it was even worse as we were getting close to trail days. Definitely a lot to be said for a tent the last week.

In general we had clear days but colder than expected. The one down side to going south is you are on the high elevations early as the overall profile gets lower as you go south. Leaves aren't out yet so you get a lot of good views but you also get the wind.

Coffee
10-09-2013, 11:31
I spent a couple of days in SNP during the last week of March this year and it did get quite cold at night and there was still some snow on the ground. There were definitely very few hikers on the trail that weekend and I didn't see anyone camping. I finished up the trip just as a late season storm was supposed to drop some snow and close Skyline Drive.

Sugarfoot
10-09-2013, 11:42
I've hiked Virginia multiple times in both directions. I prefer southbounding it for a couple of reasons. First, Northern Virginia and Shenandoah are relatively easy and a nice break-in, once you climb up from Harpers Ferry to Loudon Heights. Second, I prefer climbing up Dragon's Tooth to coming down it. Either direction, it's a most pleasant hike. My hikes have been May, June and October and I never had a problem with crowds. Have a great time, assuming that the National Forests and Parks are open by April.