PDA

View Full Version : Question about ending GA section hike at NC border

maptester
10-09-2013, 12:32
I am planning a 7-day GA section hike starting this Sunday, Oct. 13 at Springer Mtn. I would like to complete the entire GA section, so I am asking about the final section from Dick's Creek to the GA/NC border at Bly Gap. I am having a family member coming up to pick me up at the end and would like to make their drive as easy as possible.

I am thinking I could hike to Bly Gap and return to Blue Ridge Gap where Charlie Creek Rd crosses the AT. Is the road (Charlies Creek Rd) passable to Blue Ridge Gap? I am aware of the FS 71/Deep Gap in NC, but don't want to ask my pickup to drive that far.

This will be my first section hike. I have done a number of overnighters, but this will be the first multi-day hike. My son, who finished his thru-hike this year, inspired me to try this--I can't take off the time for a thru-hike but I can take a week off. Really looking forward to this.:)

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

slbirdnerd
10-09-2013, 12:43
I think Blue Ridge Gap is a pretty common pick up spot for the "GA Section." You do have to backtrack about 3 miles I think. That's my plan for June if I don't continue into NC, I know the area shuttlers go there. Unless you're sure you're ready for all the climbs, you might give yourself an extra day or two just in case and so you're not backed into a specific plan. It should be beautiful this time of year! Have a great hike!

googlywoogly
10-09-2013, 12:47
I recently completed doing the entire GA section via Saturday day hikes. I had similar questions about best way to get off the trail after crossing the GA/NC border. Some of the great answers I received may or may not help you. See thread link below.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98553-Dick-s-Creek-Gap-to-NC-Border-(where-to-egress-upon-completion)&highlight=

The road that crosses at Blue Ridge Gap sounds very dubious unless your friend is coming to get you in a monster truck <slight hyperbole>...

max patch
10-09-2013, 12:47
You can't drive to BRG but you can get close. You have 2 choices since you don't want to go to Deep Gap. When you get to BRG you can walk down the road to the point where your ride will have to stop. It'll be about a mile. Or you can continue on to Dicks Creek which is about 6 miles.

If I'm sitting in the car waiting I'd rather hang out at Dicks Creek, but thats just me.

googlywoogly
10-09-2013, 12:54
If you decide, in the end, to seek egress at Deep Gap in NC the climb from Bly Gap up to Courthouse Bald was tougher than anything Ga threw at us. Just fyi it might catch you by surprise if you think you are almost finished and just need to make it to Deep Gap to complete your hike.

Seatbelt
10-09-2013, 13:07
I am planning a 7-day GA section hike starting this Sunday, Oct. 13 at Springer Mtn. I would like to complete the entire GA section, so I am asking about the final section from Dick's Creek to the GA/NC border at Bly Gap. I am having a family member coming up to pick me up at the end and would like to make their drive as easy as possible.

I am thinking I could hike to Bly Gap and return to Blue Ridge Gap where Charlie Creek Rd crosses the AT. Is the road (Charlies Creek Rd) passable to Blue Ridge Gap? I am aware of the FS 71/Deep Gap in NC, but don't want to ask my pickup to drive that far.

This will be my first section hike. I have done a number of overnighters, but this will be the first multi-day hike. My son, who finished his thru-hike this year, inspired me to try this--I can't take off the time for a thru-hike but I can take a week off. Really looking forward to this.:)

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Welcome to the AT section hike anonymous club! I am in the same boat as you with little time off to hike. However, I did tis same section during this same exact time 3 years ago and completed it in 7 days including a little time off in Neels Gap.
My only thought for you about backtracking is that if you are planning to come back in the future and pick up where you left off, you would be hiking a small section a total of 3 times--not something I personally am interested in doing. It is true that there is a rather taxing climb immediately following Bly but after that, the remainder to Deep Gap is nice!
It is a great time of the year for this hike and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Good luck!!

fredmugs
10-09-2013, 14:04
Did anyone ever find out if the forest roads are closed due to the shutdown?

maptester
10-09-2013, 14:12
Thanks, googlywoogly, I saw your thread--Turk6177 seems to think it was passable, just wanted more info. slbirdnerd (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?45971-slbirdnerd), I'm planning on just taking it day by day--I'll feel good if I make it to Dick's Creek; you also state that Blue Ridge Gap is accessible via Charlies Creek Rd. I hiked many of the GA sections multiple times Seatbelt, that one more section is not a burden.

I might check with a few of the local shuttle drivers or ask at Mountain Crossings. Or maybe just stop at Dick's Creek/US76 and start the next section hike there.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll try to report back after the hike.

PapaGarrettP
10-09-2013, 14:57
I was dropped off last year at Blue Ridge Gap (Willie from Hiker's Hostel got us all the way to the trail). Also got picked up there another time by those two gals that live next door to Blueberry Patch (can't remember names). They had us hike down from the gap to meet up at the hardball (about a mile). Road didn't seem too bad, but much better to walk down than up!

Rain Man
10-09-2013, 18:56
If you decide, in the end, to seek egress at Deep Gap in NC the climb from Bly Gap up to Courthouse Bald was tougher than anything Ga threw at us. Just fyi it might catch you by surprise if you think you are almost finished and just need to make it to Deep Gap to complete your hike.

I agree! That was the toughest climb I ran into until New Hampshire, I think. Others may actually be harder, but I think I was mentally prepared for them. This one? Not so much so.

I read a lot of AT books and journals and am not surprised when I read other hikers reporting the same thing about that climb.

Rain Man

MuddyWaters
10-09-2013, 19:08
Lots of dayhikers access bly gap area via side trails, I think by way of blue ridge gap.

daddytwosticks
10-10-2013, 07:23
I'd tag the state line then backtrack back to Dick's Creek Gap, Ga. Easy place for a pick-up on a well travelled state maintained road. Also, a short ride into Hiawassee, Ga for any services you need before heading back home. Have a great hike. :)

MkBibble
10-10-2013, 15:11
... got picked up there another time by those two gals that live next door to Blueberry Patch (can't remember names)... Sally and Joyce. I didn't follow the link above, to the other thread, so this might have been mentioned there. Don't forget about the Kimsey Creek Trail into Standing Indian Campground. That would be a nice place for your ride to wait.

maptester
10-21-2013, 15:28
Well, my hike didn't really go as planned, but did learn a hard lesson: listen to your body. I wasn't feeling good when I got up very early on Sunday (before Columbus Day holiday) for the drive up to Springer Mtn parking lot. Only ate half my breakfast at Waffle House (not a good sign 1). Had a very loose BM after breakfast, attributed it to nerves. Got on the trail, hiking ok (gee, I don't remember hiking being this much work...not a good sign 2). Rested a few times, but nothing in my food bag really appealed to me (not a good sign 3). Finally got to Hawk Mtn. Shelter at 6 PM (along with a good crowd + boy scouts), tented up ok, forced myself to eat dinner. Sleep ok, trip to the privy first thing in the morning. Forced breakfast down, and finally got packed up and moved at 10 (not a good sign 4). Made the 1/2 mile down to Hightower Gap, shaking all the way (really not a good sign 5). Decided the best course of action was to call for an extraction--the Trail will be there for another hike. Called Ron Brown (Ron's Appalachian Trail Shuttle (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rons-Appalachian-Trail-Shuttle/174270272614034) on FB) for a pickup; he was there in about an hour and half and took me to Dahlonega to met my wife (Ron: recommended).

I was so pumped up to take off for a week and hike, I forced myself to overlook symptoms of illness (I'm calling it a norovirus (http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/)). So I'm thinking I'll go back for an overnighter with my son later this fall, and perhaps next spring.

All the major water sources were running; the creek at Hawk Mtn Shelter was running good. Many of the very small creeks listed in AWOL's guide were not really useable--damp but not running. Long Creek Falls was worth the short side trip. Thanks to everyone for your advice--I'll get there eventually.
24573Long Creek Falls