PDA

View Full Version : Let me bounce this off of you guys...

I_think_I_can
08-16-2005, 15:40
_deleted by poster_

Lone Wolf
08-16-2005, 15:43
Piss poor idea. If you hike for a charity, every penny should go to that charity. You fund your own hike. Period.

Sly
08-16-2005, 15:50
I have eight months to raise/find 6500 dollars for the hike and my bills. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Skip the charity angle. Generally it's considered bad form to be "hiking" off of charity no matter how good your intentions. If you want to raise money for a particular cause, do it seperately from your hike or atleast don't cut into your fund raising.

Since you don't even have a charity in mind, isn't this more for yourself anyway?

I suggest you save what you can from your regular job and find a part-time job that will pay you $100-150 a week that's dedicated to your hiking fund. If you can't raise all what you think you need, work another month and meet him in Damascus.

TakeABreak
08-16-2005, 15:54
Why don't you just honest about it and say you are trying to get other's to pay for hike and be done with it.

Slimer
08-16-2005, 15:59
If you REALLY want to go on your trip, then you'll find way to make the money yourself without having to depend on donations.

TakeABreak
08-16-2005, 16:02
It looks like the original poster got the message and deleted the post.

attroll
08-16-2005, 23:57
This is a good example of why the edit and delete function was taken away from users. As you can see the first post in the thread was made and others replied. Then the poster came back and deleted there post. Now if Sly had not quoted the origanol post in post #3 then no one would have understood what the replies were about.

TakeABreak
08-17-2005, 03:18
Excellent Point, ATTROLL.

Deafsmart
08-17-2005, 04:56
I wonder why those functions were missing. Last week when I posted my thread and then it dawn to me I created misphase which I need to be clearer to WB reader, the passage of this and that paragraph. That "edit" function, then, were gone from it's usual position and I scanned and scanned over. I let it go and next day commotion over "I-t-W" thread (I won't link it and don't search for it-let that topic die away, please).

This is why I always click "Preview Post" button over and over to make everything convey in finer sense to my readers. Call me Perfectionist. For my opinon with "Delete" function button, don't activate it in this website.

Moreover, if anyone here in WB.net wish to re-edit their thread(s), allow me to suggest a note which will indicate in smaller font and place next to signature of each re-edit thread: This thread was re-edit by [WB user] on dd/mm/yy 00:00:00. It is not new but old functionary "tell-tale" sign which a thread has been "amend/disturb/meddle/recant" their view(s), begun with early days vBulletin engineered and maturing many flavors of forums like this one (it is not free-skill in computer interface required). This, I stress this, will place honest atmosphere here in Whiteblaze forum by letting other WB readers to know WB poster's activity regard their feedback or view or voice.

TOW
08-17-2005, 06:00
you want to raise money? send me a private message, i have an idea for you that you can do on your own, may take you a little time and you won't be asking for any handouts...

HikerHobo
08-17-2005, 07:43
Piss poor idea. If you hike for a charity, every penny should go to that charity. You fund your own hike. Period.This same ethic of behavior should be applied to religious evangelist !
Why should they be allowed to live "high on the hog" off the backs of
donors?

Icicle
08-17-2005, 08:02
I know the original poster deleted his comments, but I thought I would reply anyway.

First of all my husband and I funded our own hike. Just to make that clear.

When we talked to people we know here in the UK about our upcoming hike...most of them asked what charity we were raising money for. It seems that a lot of *extreme* travels over here - it is common to collect money and part of your collection is used to fund the trip.

There are scores of articles that run in the local papers every spring time of one person or another hiking the Macchu Picchu trail or mountain biking the Great Wall of China and they need to collect a minimum of something like £2,500 (roughly $4,500) in order to participate. I'm not saying it's right and I have never been tempted to get involved with these kinds of trips, but it is acceptable practice over here (in the UK and Europe).

Tha Wookie
08-17-2005, 10:58
Piss poor idea. If you hike for a charity, every penny should go to that charity. You fund your own hike. Period.
That's 100% right. If you need someone to pay for your hike then you need to put off the hike a year and get a job like most everyone else who makes it happen.

Honestly, for the amount of time you would have to spend raising enough money for expenses (about 3 K), you could have just worked, and left alone a lot of people who will think you are a bum.

I do a charity, and make sure that I never see or handle the money. It's the only way to do it, for your peace of mind and for everyone who's watching.

We still have some awesome organic cotton t-shirts for sell, by the way, at www.thawookie.com (http://www.thawookie.com). Since all the materials were paid for by sponsors, every dime goes to Welcome Home Ministries, a 501c3 non-profit.

bogey
08-17-2005, 21:06
I know the original poster deleted his comments, but I thought I would reply anyway.

First of all my husband and I funded our own hike. Just to make that clear.

When we talked to people we know here in the UK about our upcoming hike...most of them asked what charity we were raising money for. It seems that a lot of *extreme* travels over here - it is common to collect money and part of your collection is used to fund the trip.

There are scores of articles that run in the local papers every spring time of one person or another hiking the Macchu Picchu trail or mountain biking the Great Wall of China and they need to collect a minimum of something like £2,500 (roughly $4,500) in order to participate. I'm not saying it's right and I have never been tempted to get involved with these kinds of trips, but it is acceptable practice over here (in the UK and Europe).It really is more common here in the states than these comments would have you believe.

I had a dear friend who wanted to participate in a fund-raising bike ride from Minneapolis to Chicago. (about 500 miles) She was gonna do training rides, to get in shape, and gave me all the details about her ride for---can't remember now if it was Breast Cancer research or AIDS research, both worthy causes, BUT the catch was that she had to raise $3500 in pledges just to be allowed to participate, and while the promoters wouldn't/couldn't tell exactly, their take for providing the support and publicity was 51-68%. I'd much rather pay the money directly to the charity than to the promoter.

:mad:

titanium_hiker
08-17-2005, 21:53
people who get rich of tele donations just make me sick. Profits should outway costs, especially when fundraising. So, if you are trying to raise money for charity (let's say 1000) and you need 2000 to hike the AT... hmmm... and you wanna walk out of "The outfitter" ready to go... hmmm...

however, some fundraising does have a good side. What about people working overseas to do medical work, or teaching, or community development (well digging) etc. They've gotta eat too- when they are out there doing this cool stuff- they aren't working 9-5 earning big bucks- but they have a bunch of friends who are- and so they live in lower middle class standards, thanks to 50$ a month from differnt people.
rant- yeah- but not all "religious evangelists" are telle evangelists. Don't give if you don't want to.

Back to the hike- do something like a readathon or whatever- that doesn't cost. :)

titanium

titanium_hiker
08-17-2005, 21:55
or... (dang- no edit function :D) a 40 hour famine (or in these days of the wimps, 30 hour famine) or whatever. Hiking isn't something easily tied with fundraising- unless it's across a country... and you are educating people along the way.

MarcnNJ
08-18-2005, 07:59
The guys at Maine2Georgia.com will take your money for their hike.....at first i thought they were taking donations for a cause......then i read all proceeds go towards expenses incurred on the trail.....they even had gear sponsors.......am i naive for being so offended? :datz

Lone Wolf
08-18-2005, 08:27
Don't be offended. Just don't be dumb enough to give them a dime. I'm sure there are some fools that gave $$ to them.

rickb
08-18-2005, 09:02
Anyone out there whose first long walk was "A Hike for Hope"-- for the Hospital Ship Hope?

I missed it, but recall how dang impressed I was that my brother could walk 20 miles. That was a good one, I think, in as much as all the participants seemed to really suffer.