PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Amicalola to Neels

Chair-man
10-09-2013, 15:17
I just finished my 40 mile hike from Amicalola Falls Visitor Center to Neels Gap. I decided to post a summary of my hike here on Whiteblaze rather than Trailjournals because Trailjournals does not allow you to post products names or services or links. I have included a link to photos and videos at the end of this post.

I arrived at the AF Visitors Center on Sun 9/28 in the wee morning hours. There wasn’t time to set up my tent at the shelter so I just slept in my car until 7am. Good thing they left the bathrooms open at the vistors center. There wasn’t an extended parking pass form only daily passes and the visitors center parking area and the visitor center doesn’’t open until 9am on weekends. Good thing I had the phone # for the AF Lodge. I called the lodge and the girl said I could come up and she would give me as extended pass. Driving up to the lodge I realized what kind of hills I’d be up against once I start my hike. I got my pass and went back down to the visitors center parking lot. I got my pack and poles and got ready to go. It’s a strange feeling when you’re about to lock your car and you say to yourself “do I have everything”? I said back to myself “If I don’t have everything after 9 months of planning then I just don’t have it”. With that, I locked the car door and off I went. It was 7:45am.
It was a beautiful crisp mountain mornin. I knew the steps were metal grated from watching other videos and I thought I could put the baskets on the bottom of my poles so I could use my pole to help me up the steps. It worked. You just have to shorten your poles. I actually practiced this on stairs before I left Florida. Also, I figured there was water at the top of the falls so I only carried a little bit of water. I was right. There’s a restroom at the top of the falls with a sink and running water.
I had planned on doing 8 miles a day and making it to Neels in 5 days and today I wanted to make it to at least Black Gap Shelter. My butt was dragging from all the big ups and downs when I strolled into Black Gap around 5pm. Did I mention I’ll be 60 in Feb? I was smart enough to get water a half mile before the shelter. One other hiker was there. It was a beautiful day. Perfect weather. Today’s miles. 7.3

Mon day 2,I didn’t start hiking until 9:40. This is my first hike in 30 years. Making breakfast (grits & coffee) takes time. When I got to Springer I decided to get water at the shelter. This took more time. I could have gotten water along the trail further up. I was never going to make it to Hawk Mt Shelter today and I didn’t. I ended up at a nice campsite just 50 yds up Long Falls Trail. Today’s miles 6.7

Tues Day 3, Got a better start 8:00 am. Thought I could make up some miles. Didn’t happen. Ended up staying at Horse Gap. The AT here is more suited for billy goats than hikers. I was really going slow on the down hills as I had to watch every step. Today’s miles 5.3. Not good

Wed Day 4, another early start but Sassafras Mt kicked my rear. Once on top of Sassafras Mt I realized I wasn’t going to make to Neels in 5 days. I only had enough food for one more day after today and I could get to Gooch Gap if I wanted to but I didn’t want to start looking for a shuttle after I ran out of food and as bad as the cell signal is in the gaps I might not be able to get a shuttle at all. I had put 6 shuttle phone #’s in my phone before I left. I called Joyce but she lives in Hiawassee and suggested I call Wes Wissen. Just because you have cell service doesn’t mean the person you’re calling has cell service especially if they’re a shuttle driver. I ended up getting a hold of Ron Brown (what a great guy) and he picked me up at Coopers Gat at 11 am. I was off the trail and figured it was over. Went back to AF got my car and decided to drive to Neels Gap (Mountain Crossing) anyway and check out the outfitter and pick up a souvenir. I’m heading up the mountain to Neels and just before you get there I see the Blood Mt Cabins and I quickly turn in because I remember reading about them on Whiteblaze and looking at their web site. I go into the store (office) and inquire about a cabin. George says we treat hikers good around here and gives me a $60 a night rate. I take 2 nights. I buy a frozen DiGiorno pizza and head to the cabin. I haven’t had a shower since I left Fl on Sat and it’s Wed. Nice cabins. Just think 4 people could stay here for $15 a night each.

Thurs Day 5, went to Mt Xing outfitter at the top of the hill. I keep thinking about going back out on the trail to finish my hike so I decide to resupply. All I really needed was some food and a little bit of fuel. Bought a couple of T shirts and went back to the cabin. I checked the weather report and decided I was going to go back out to finish my hike. I called Ron Brown and arraigned for him to pick up at the Byron Reese parking area near Neels at 6am and drive me back to Coopers Gap. Did a pack shakedown, got rid my crocks (1 lb). My Merrell Proterras are a great boot.

Fri Day 6, Ron picked me up at 6am at Byron Reese and drove me to Coopers Gap. With some rested legs I started hiking up Justus Mt at 7am. I was so glad to be back on the trail. After Justus Mt the trail levels out for a while and I was just cursing. I saw a nice tent site just before Woodys Gap and figured I’d stay there after I get some water from the springs just ahead. Wrong, all the springs were all dride up just before Woodys Gap. Not only that, but the bathrooms at Woodys were locked because of the Fed shutdown and that’s the only water source at Woodys. Fortunately, there was a lady and her daughter in the parking lot who gave me 2 liters of water. My first trail angles. If I wasn’t able to get water my hike would have been over. I was ready to tent but there wasn’t a site. I ended up hiking all the way up Big Cedar Mt before I found a site. I was whooped. 10 mile day

Sat Day 7, Started late 9am. Made it to Woods Hole Shelter. I camped at the tent site along the AT where the Woods Hole trail meet. Today’s miles 6.2

Sun Day 8 last day only 4 miles left. Woke up early and thought I’d break camp before sunrise to get an early start because of the possibility of thunder storms after noon. Ok, so I pop my head out of my tent at 6:30am with my head lamp on and do a 360 scan of the area to check for bears. I spot these two white-light yellow eyes looking at me about 50 yds away. I make noise but the eyes are starting to stalk around my tent. I figured if it was a deer it would have took off by now. I got my pepper spray in one hand in case it charges. The animal has stalked all the way to the other side of me. I throw one more rock toward the animal then I don’t see it anymore. I start to break camp and by now it’s getting light and I kinda forget about it. As I look up there is a 2 point buck standing right in front of me about 15 yds away. What a tame animal. Is this because it’s in a national park? No hunting? Anyway, glad it wasn’t a bear. Started hiking at 8:10am got to Blood Mt by 9:45, Got back to Byron Reese and my car at 12:30pm. Going down Blood Mt was a bear like everyone says.

Note: If you’re hiking though Coopers Gap and you find water jugs there, they were probably left there by Ron Brown. What a great guy.

Link to my videos and photos < Click (https://plus.google.com/photos/100315211872724821145/albums/5932563119304563601?authkey=CIGL2PHdlpSyIg)

Ken.davidson
10-09-2013, 16:24
Survivor Dave also leaves water jugs at Coopers Gap when passing through there. I just had to give a shout out for Survivor Dave he has provided some sage advice and I met him at Cooper Gap.

GreatDane
10-09-2013, 17:09
+1 for Ron Brown. He went above and beyond for me last year, and I can't say enough good stuff about him.

Chair-man
10-09-2013, 17:23
+1 for Ron Brown. He went above and beyond for me last year, and I can't say enough good stuff about him.

For you folks who don't know who Ron Brown is he a former Amicalola Falls State Park employee (I believe he was a ranger). The State of GA decided to privatize the park and all the employees there lost there good govt jobs. Ron became a shuttle driver. He know the area like the back of his hand.

flemdawg1
10-09-2013, 17:25
I think you missed the blue blaze at Woody Gap for the water from a piped spring, not the vault toilets.

maguyver
10-09-2013, 17:41
What a great story. I have hiked that section more than once over the years. I was younger then. I am your age now and getting ready to do some section hiking, but that won't be one of them. Been there, done that. Older and wiser now. Glad to hear Sassafras, Justus and Blood Mountains are still living up to the memories.

"Everything in Life is Temporary, enjoy the moment"

Ken.davidson
10-09-2013, 17:46
Sassafras and Blood Mountain were the butt kickers for me in March. But any time on the trail is great!

hikerboy57
10-09-2013, 18:15
Its not about the miles It's about the smiles

MuddyWaters
10-09-2013, 18:58
Goes to show how bad assumptions can be based on others answers when someone asks "How long will it take me to hike from x to y". Everyone is different, and it makes a big difference. Have to know yourself.

Most do that in no more than 4-5 days. A lot do it in 2-3.

For future reference, bears eyes look green at night.

importman77
10-09-2013, 20:00
For you folks who don't know who Ron Brown is he a former Amicalola Falls State Park employee (I believe he was a ranger). The State of GA decided to privatize the park and all the employees there lost there good govt jobs. Ron became a shuttle driver. He know the area like the back of his hand.

Just curious, when did this happen? I was there last March and I talked to, and got some really good directions from a man named Ron. I even got his card but I don't know what I did with it. Can't remember his last name. If he's the same one, I'll add a +1 to the above comments.

Chair-man
10-09-2013, 22:48
Just curious, when did this happen? I was there last March and I talked to, and got some really good directions from a man named Ron. I even got his card but I don't know what I did with it. Can't remember his last name. If he's the same one, I'll add a +1 to the above comments.

There is another Ron who shuttles in this area. His name is Ron Haven and I believe he owns some hotels too. He also makes posts on Whiteblaze.

Chair-man
10-09-2013, 23:17
For future reference, bears eyes look green at night.

I've been searching the interweb looking for the right answer for a bears eyes at night and it seems that they can be red or green depending on age and diet. One thing for sure is a bear, like most animals, has a membrane in their eyes called a tapetum lucidum, which reflects light back.

Last Call
10-09-2013, 23:58
Great summary enjoyed reading it! Back-track Way down the hill S-bound from Woody's gap there is a nice spring,....only a coupla' hundred yards but you have to look for it....I agree that last few steps down Blood Mountain before you get to Mountain Crossings can be brutal.....enjoy the suck!

Last Call
10-10-2013, 00:02
When I camped at Cooper's Gap back in July the U.S. Army Rangers had left a water trailer there at the cross-roads...nice potable water but I treated it anyway just to be safe; It was a 500 gallon tanker of water, they were doing exercises in the area at the time....

Whack-a-mole
10-10-2013, 04:35
Trying to get water from the restrooms at woody gap would be interesting. You'd need a rope and bucket.....and a LOT of Clorox. :D

slbirdnerd
10-10-2013, 09:08
Way to go, I'm so glad you didn't give up! :) What a great experience, huh? My son and I made it from Springer to Cooper in June, I'm headed back next June to pick up there. HUGE thanks to anyone who leaves water at Cooper Gap--part of the reason we quit was having underestimated water from Hawk to Gooch. Had we known there was water at Cooper we may not have called on top of Sassafras for a pick up.

max patch
10-10-2013, 09:41
Its only 2 miles from Coopers to Justus Creek, an easy hours walk for most. Really a non issue.

marti038
10-10-2013, 09:43
I hiked this same route around labor day, but had to hustle to get it all in. In hindsight it would have been better to take it slower. We covered it in 2.5 days, which it's nice to know we were capable, but it's just less enjoyable when you have to push it like that.

The campsite on Big Cedar Mountain is remarkable. Definitely worth the climb from Woody Gap if you're close to stopping for the day.

Chair-man
10-10-2013, 10:28
Back-track Way down the hill S-bound from Woody's gap there is a nice spring,....only a coupla' hundred yards but you have to look for it....

Actually, now that I look at the AWOL guide book I see that the water source at Woody Gap is a spring not the restroom. The spring is located just north of Woody on a side trail .02 to the west. I'll have to pay a little more attention to details next time I go out.

Praha4
10-10-2013, 10:53
your hike sounded great! Amicalola Falls SP to Neels Gap is one of my favorite AT sections. Whenever I need a quick AT fix or workout, its' the section I like to drive up and do. Some great people working at Mtn Crossings/Neels Gap also. Just remember as you go further north on the AT, the scenery gets even better. Happy Trails! "Florida Mike"

Ken.davidson
10-10-2013, 21:23
Way to go, I'm so glad you didn't give up! :) What a great experience, huh? My son and I made it from Springer to Cooper in June, I'm headed back next June to pick up there. HUGE thanks to anyone who leaves water at Cooper Gap--part of the reason we quit was having underestimated water from Hawk to Gooch. Had we known there was water at Cooper we may not have called on top of Sassafras for a pick up.
If go west on FS42 downhill about 300yds you will see a small stream on the right, if it is not too dry. I used it in March.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=406334

Gonecampn
10-10-2013, 22:06
Great story! Thanks for sharing. I have only completed the approach trail to Springer Mtn. I've also completed 65 miles of the Benton MacKye trail which I plan to complete next year. Your story is very encouraging. I'm glad that you were able to complete your mission! Happy Hiking :)

slbirdnerd
10-11-2013, 08:24
Great story! Thanks for sharing. I have only completed the approach trail to Springer Mtn. I've also completed 65 miles of the Benton MacKye trail which I plan to complete next year. Your story is very encouraging. I'm glad that you were able to complete your mission! Happy Hiking :) Hi, Gonecampn, sorry to pirate this thread but would you happen to be the lady my 11-yr-old son and I met on Springer Mountain this past June? Would have been about June 19. If so hello again, and hope you had a great hike! :)

Gonecampn
10-11-2013, 11:07
I don't think that was me. It was around May 10th or so. I remember the date because after the hike we went straight to NC for my daughter's senior prom. But maybe we'll meet the next time .... ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Altarboy
10-12-2013, 08:27
Very nice. My brother and I were going to hike the park on our first section hike, but our shuttle lady, to her credit and our benefit, suggested we might not have time.