PDA

View Full Version : Survival whistle?

Wendigo
10-09-2013, 17:17
Reviewing my gear list got me to thinking about whistles and other alert/safety "beacons." Have you used a whistle in a hiking/backpacking situation? Was it effective? Would you use it again or something else? Your thoughts about the need/effectiveness of whistles? All input is welcome. And, yes, I'm soliciting your input for a possible entry for my wordpress blog. Your name would not be used in the story unless you ask for it to be. Best wishes and safe hiking! Wendigo.

QHShowoman
10-09-2013, 17:34
A whistle is one of those things I always carry and never have had to use. I suppose that's a good thing.

Another Kevin
10-09-2013, 17:38
There's a whistle built into the handle of my firesteel, so I carry that.

My whistle story, copied and pasted from http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/forums/phpBB-3.0.5/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=754&sid=130fa2fde304d48270d27375c6336fb9#p3313

At that waterfall, I remarked to Mike that I was going to hike up to the next one. He absently said, "OK," and returned his attention to his camera while the remark went in one ear and out the other. Next thing I knew, Mike and Rich were shouting for me. I shouted back, but they couldn't hear my voice over the sound of the falls. I pulled out my whistle, and tooted out "Shave and a Haircut", which did carry, but then a mockingbird started copying it! The guys though my whistle was just another bird call and kept hollering. (Well, they were worried only for the few minutes that it took me to hike back down to them again.)

Coffee
10-09-2013, 17:39
I picked up a two-pack mini whistle at REI before hiking the JMT. The whistle weighs 0.2 ounces and I thought it would be a good way of attracting attention if I became incapacitated near the trail since it is quite heavily traveled. Never had to use it. It seems to me that a whistle would be less useful on cross country routes or very lightly traveled trails but at such a tiny weight it is prudent to carry just in case.

HooKooDooKu
10-09-2013, 17:41
While I personally have yet to make use of a whistle in the back country, I have been in the general area where someone else used one to help scare away a bear.

I've been told that whistles are not very effective across large distances in the back country because the terrain and vegetation limit the distance over which they can be heard. So if you are hiking solo and in a remote area, a whistle isn't going to do you much good unless someone just happens to be hiking near by.

But if you are a part of a group or you're hiking in an area with a lot of traffic, a whistle is invaluable at allowing yourself to be heard as the whistle will be louder than your scream, the sound of a whistle will pretty much be known as a distress signal in the back country to anyone that hears it, and a whistle gives you the opportunity to 'scream' over a prolonged period because it takes much less energy to use a whistle than it is to scream.

And when you add in the fact of how light a whistle can be (and the fact that many back-packs include them not built into the chest strap) there isn't much reason to skip including a whistle in your list of required items to enter the back country.

hikerboy57
10-09-2013, 17:43
a whistle weighs next to nothing, and although it hs its limitations, is better than shouting.

maguyver
Falls into the "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" bag. Very small weight to benefit ratio.

PD230SOI
As soon as we head away from the car, my boys are handed their whistles. They know to sit down and use it in an emergency. They are eight and five. The five year old once used his whistle because he needed to poop and needed help digging the hole.

The Old Boot
10-09-2013, 18:25
Mine is on a lanyard and goes on when I get out of the hammock in the morning and goes in my ridgeline organizer when I go to bed.

When I'm not in the backcountry, it usually stays in the centre console of my car so that I can grab it if I'm headed off road for geo-caching.

I probably should have a few of them so one is attached to my PFD, one's in my day pack, etc. etc.

It's one of those items that it's better to have and never need than to not have and need it.

ChinMusic
10-09-2013, 18:40
I didn't carry a whistle for most of my thru which was prob not a good idea since I hiked mostly alone. I picked up a whistle from Bernie the Whittler in PA that is more of a souvenir. One should have a whistle and have it in a location that is VERY easy to get to, not buried in your pack. I liked the ones I saw standard on Osprey packs. I thought those were perfect.

Nutbrown
10-09-2013, 18:52
The chest strap on my pack, and on many I have seen, has a whistle. If your's doesn't, a lot of outfitters has the buckles with whistles for under a buck. Loud little sucker too.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2013, 19:23
Reviewing my gear list got me to thinking about whistles and other alert/safety "beacons." Have you used a whistle in a hiking/backpacking situation? Was it effective? Would you use it again or something else? Your thoughts about the need/effectiveness of whistles? All input is welcome. And, yes, I'm soliciting your input for a possible entry for my wordpress blog. Your name would not be used in the story unless you ask for it to be. Best wishes and safe hiking! Wendigo.no bells or whistles needed

Violent Green
10-09-2013, 19:30
no bells or whistles needed

One of the three times I have agreed with LW.

Ryan

Lone Wolf
10-09-2013, 19:35
One of the three times I have agreed with LW.

Ryanthe other 2?

MuddyWaters
10-09-2013, 20:02
You can think up a scenario for which almost anything would be useful.

Bottom line: Stay ON THE TRAIL, and you would never need a whistle, or a signal mirror, or a flare gun, or a PLB , or a GPS, or anything else on the AT.

but if you want to bring one, they arent heavy.

fredmugs
10-09-2013, 20:07
The chest strap on my pack, and on many I have seen, has a whistle. If your's doesn't, a lot of outfitters has the buckles with whistles for under a buck. Loud little sucker too.

I was going to say the same thing. I had no idea it was there until someone else told me. Never had a need to use it.

Trebor66
10-09-2013, 20:07
One of the straps on my pack has one built into the clasp. If it wasn't there I probably wouldn't have one. However, my son carries one on a lanyard around his neck. He also wears very bright colored shirts to make him more visible.

Rocket Jones
10-10-2013, 06:40
It wasn't that long ago when some guy was getting his photo taken on the edge of a volcano and the rim collapsed, sending him down quite a ways. He was badly injured (eventually died, IIRC) but the folks still on the rim could hear his whistle as they tried to figure out where he was on the slope below.

BigHodag
10-10-2013, 06:42
Reflecting on Inchworm's mysterious dsappearance, would a whistle have made a difference? Did searchers pass nearby and fail to hear a signal?

I carry a small $5 flashlight/strobe/whistle on a lanyard. Granted the AT is fairly safe and several people are likely to pass by every day or two. But what about those times you're camped out of sight or digging cat holes? A whistle is cheap insurance.

Pea-less is best in freezing weather. I like strobes as night SAR crews can spot flashing lights from miles away.

I recently bought a small ham radio and noted it has a strobe/flashlight LED built in to the top. i might pack it due to its receiving NOAA wx freqs and my recent discovery of the Wilderness Protocol.

Like others, we issued our girls whistles on family trips and taught them to Hug a Tree (sit down).

rocketsocks
10-10-2013, 07:19
No whistle thread would be complete without mentioning the universal distress signal...three sharp blows.

I too carry a whistle.

Gambit McCrae
10-10-2013, 08:44
Most backpacks come witha whistle on the top strap, and if not, look for the cap of an acorn. play with it around the fire and use your thumbs to make a pie shape and blow, loudest whistle ever

HikerMom58
10-10-2013, 08:47
Reflecting on Inchworm's mysterious dsappearance, would a whistle have made a difference? Did searchers pass nearby and fail to hear a signal?

I carry a small $5 flashlight/strobe/whistle on a lanyard. Granted the AT is fairly safe and several people are likely to pass by every day or two. But what about those times you're camped out of sight or digging cat holes? A whistle is cheap insurance.

Pea-less is best in freezing weather. I like strobes as night SAR crews can spot flashing lights from miles away.

I recently bought a small ham radio and noted it has a strobe/flashlight LED built in to the top. i might pack it due to its receiving NOAA wx freqs and my recent discovery of the Wilderness Protocol.

Like others, we issued our girls whistles on family trips and taught them to Hug a Tree (sit down).

I believe inchworm was carrying whistle....you could see it in a pic. Of her.

No whistle thread would be complete without mentioning the universal distress signal...three sharp blows.

I too carry a whistle.

Me too...three sharp blows....got it!:)

slbirdnerd
10-10-2013, 08:56
I have a (very loud) safety whistle clipped to my shoulder strap where I can blow it without having to un-clip it. It lives there. It's just a smart thing to have handy for all sorts of reasons as mentioned above.

Wise Old Owl
10-10-2013, 08:57
Most of us don't carry - but when we do - its the same one lifeguards use at the shore...clearly the lightest loudest badass whistle on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/Markwort-Storm-Safety-Whistle-Blister/dp/B001MKMFU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381409754&sr=8-2&keywords=storm+whistle

Have you considered smoke signals and banging stick on a log?

Prime Time
10-10-2013, 09:03
My whistle is a cheap, plastic, featherlight (less than 1 ounce) combination whistle, compass, thermometer which are three things you should have but seldom, if ever, use except the compass. I use the compass on my smart phone but I like having this as a backup. The temperature is mostly nice to know but under certain circumstances might be important (will my water freeze, will rocks above be ice coated). The whistle is about as loud as most and would serve its purpose if needed.

Pathfinder1
10-10-2013, 11:47
Hi...

The LOUDEST whistle I have ever used is pea-less, and the brand name is 'Storm'. Whenever I demonstrate it, I have to hold my ears...!!

ChinMusic
10-10-2013, 12:24
I'm surprised at those (well not the one) that say you don't need a whistle. That's like saying you don't need a seatbelt when driving, "I've been driving for years and never needed one"....whatever. Even the weeniest of gram weenies have to admit that a whistle adds no significant weight. There are times where some hiker is gonna need help. If that never happens to you, great.

yaduck9
10-10-2013, 12:48
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1804359]Most of us don't carry - but when we do - its the same one lifeguards use at the shore...clearly the lightest loudest badass whistle on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/Markwort-Storm-Safety-Whistle-Blister/dp/B001MKMFU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381409754&sr=8-2&keywords=storm+whistle

I once used the built in whistle on my Fire Steel, to try to steer my friend back on to the trail. In the wind it did not carry very far. So, in my mind, it is useless. I now carry the storm whistle.

Slo-go'en
10-10-2013, 12:48
When I was hiking with a several woman in Glacier, I insisted we all have whisles. The whisles did come in handy one day when I was trailing behind (the usual situation) and they got off track because snow obscured the trail. With out the whisles, it would have taken longer to find them as the foot prints in the snow weren't real clear.

But usually, I don't bother with a whisle.

Hill Ape
10-10-2013, 14:19
I use a jet scream to call in my dog when she is off leash and out of sight :eek: (sorry, couldn't resist)

Lone Wolf
10-10-2013, 16:47
I'm surprised at those (well not the one) that say you don't need a whistle. That's like saying you don't need a seatbelt when driving, "I've been driving for years and never needed one"....whatever. Even the weeniest of gram weenies have to admit that a whistle adds no significant weight. There are times where some hiker is gonna need help. If that never happens to you, great.

one NEEDS food and water to hike. one doesn't need a whistle to hike

ChinMusic
10-10-2013, 17:18

You could say that about shoes and pants as well.

Wise Old Owl
10-10-2013, 17:35

I don't wear a seat belt.... :eek:

hikerboy57
10-10-2013, 17:37

You could say that about shoes and pants as well.or a beard

Kerosene
10-10-2013, 17:56
34 posts and not a one has mentioned the drawbacks of whistles. Yes, they're extremely lightweight, but if there's much of a wind in a leafed forest you can blow that thing all day and no one will be able to pick it out beyond 50 yards. You would be much better off pulling out your metal cookpot and banging it with a rock. While not as shrill, the metallic sound is more likely to cut through the background noise of our typical forest.

Now, if the air is dead-still with a bit of fog, it is incredible how far sound can carry. Climbing up Webster Cliffs on a foggy morning I could hear couples talking to one another in their speaking voices from over a quarter mile away, when I would have sworn they were just around the bend.

fiddlehead
10-10-2013, 18:52
It's up to "How prudent you are".
Whistles probably help less than 1/10 of 1% of hikers.
But many still carry them.

I'm in the "no seat belt" crowd and have never carried, or had the need for a whistle.
I don't usually tell anyone where I'm going either.
But, that's me.
Up to you.

Trailweaver
10-10-2013, 22:09
I carry a whistle on my pack and on my life vest. I've never "needed" them; hope I don't ever need them. I did recently fall and break my leg in the far back side of my yard late at night. . . I couldn't help but think what it would have been like to be injured, alone, and withou a way to call for help (my voice isn't very loud). I'll opt for both the whistle and the seat belt. I've seen what people look like in the ER when they've had a wreck without a seatbelt.