PDA

View Full Version : Water a Scarcity headed north from Springer Mtn?

Hawkhiker
10-11-2013, 00:57
I was told there is a stretch about 7 miles that has no water, is so can someone point that out to me?Thanks Hawk

max patch
10-11-2013, 01:09
Top off your water bottles at Hawk Mountain Shelter; next water is at Justus Creek about 6 miles away.

SCRUB HIKER
10-11-2013, 01:54
As I recall (and I'm not using a book for this, it's just what I remember from my first day), there was a stretch after Hawk Mtn. Shelter that had no on-trail water. I wasn't paying attention and ran out, so I went to the right maybe a half-mile down a dirt road at the gap just before the climb of Justus Mountain and got water from a creek crossing the road, then was lucky enough to get a ride back up.

MuddyWaters
10-11-2013, 08:02
Shelter sources are reliable.
Drink a liter at a source
Carry at least liter
and you can go 10+ miles easy in all but the hottest weather
7 miles isnt far enough to stress about lack of water.
there are lots of 5+ mile stretches without reliable water

slbirdnerd
10-11-2013, 08:19
From Hawk Mtn. going north (including the hike over Sassafras Mtn.) there isn't water unti Justus Creek, which is only 6.8 miles but some tough climbs. Often someone puts jugs at Cooper Gap on the north side of Sassafras Mtn. but you shouldn't plan for that. Camel up when you leave Hawk Mtn. Shelter. Yep, learned this the hard way. :)

GreatDane
10-11-2013, 22:32
Check out www.georgia-atclub.org (http://www.georgia-atclub.org) under Hike the Appalachian Trail, then Hike the Georgia Appalachian Trail, then Water Sources and Availability for the most updated water info for the AT in Georgia.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2013, 03:38
I was told there is a stretch about 7 miles that has no water, is so can someone point that out to me?Thanks Hawk

it's 6 miles between hawk mtn. shelter and justus creek. and what scrub hiker says is true

Double Wide
10-12-2013, 09:47
If the US Army Rangers are out playing in the woods, they will park a 500 gallon (?) trailer of potable water at Cooper Gap. But you can't always count on that being there. I know some of the shuttle drivers have left gallon jugs there on several occasions in the past, too. But the creek behind Hawk Mtn shelter is clear and cold and has more than you can drink...;)

FatMan
10-13-2013, 09:17
Its no big deal. Just fill up at Hawk Mtn shelter if heading north or Justus Creek if heading south. I guess what makes the stretch memorable for hikers heading north is the trail is like a walk in the park from Springer to Hawk. The stretch between Hawk shelter and Justus Creek has a couple of good climbs that are a wake up call to those who have never hiked the AT.

If a hiker should find himself in a situation where they have to camp at Horse Gap and need water there is a dirt jeep road across from FS42. Hike down the road about a .25 - .5 to find water depending on the season. If one has to camp at Cooper Gap you can find water by walking down FS80 about .5 miles where a culvert runs a small stream under the road. This road goes down to the Ranger Station and has a fair amount of use. You can often get a ride.

As to the post above regarding the GATC website as a good source for water availability, I strongly disagree. During the last few drought years it was often inaccurate and rarely updated. Your best bet is to ask here and get reports from folks who hiked in the last couple of weeks or call Mountain Xings where they speak with hikers daily.

max patch
10-13-2013, 12:46
Rather than walk a mile round trip at Cooper Gap for water it makes a lot more sense to me to walk 2 miles to Justus Creek. Lot better place to camp there than beside the FS road at Cooper. To each his own.

I agree with FatMans comments about the GATC water status report on their website. Its a great idea IN THEORY, but showing the status of a water source back in April is worse than not showing the info in the first place. Mountain Crossings used to do the same thing but their reports were also outdated and I believe they finally gave up and stopped reporting this.

daddytwosticks
10-13-2013, 13:43
Just got back from a Springer to Woody section hike. The Army had a big potable water tank-trailer at Cooper Gap. There were also gallon jugs set out at Horse and Cooper Gaps. However, the scuttlebutt was that someone has been slashing the plastic jugs of water put out by the shuttlers. :)

mgeiger
10-16-2013, 16:29
The hike from Hawk to Justus Creek can be a long one if you've started at Springer. First half of day = cake. Second half of day = a couple of serious climbs. Sure the guide says thats a 13.6mi day, but that doesn't take into account the .9 mi you may be doing from the Springer lot and the .9mi round trip hike to water at Hawk.