PDA

View Full Version : Platypus water bladder with blue hoser

Not Sunshine
10-12-2013, 10:18
I just updated my platypus water bladder and found that ANY water which sat in the blue hose tasted AWFUL. Every time I wanted to take a drink, I had to let fresh water from the bladder/reservoir flush through the hose before I could drink it because of the terrible plastic taste and odor.

I have tried flushing additional water though it, hoping that it would correct itself, but it's still terrible.

When I got home from my overnight hike, I flushed some diluted white vinegar with warm water though the hose - and I'm testing it by letting it sit, but the water which sits in the hose continues to taste horrible.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and corrected it with success?? It's obvious to me the reservoir plastic is not the problem, but the plastic hose.

Thanks

tiptoe
10-12-2013, 11:17
I know what you mean about the taste, but either I've gotten used to it or it diminishes over time. You might try contacting customer service at Cascade Designs.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Home/Contact-Us
Or check the FAQ on cleaning and drying: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/FAQ

redseal
10-14-2013, 17:19
Sorry, I have not had that experience. Or maybe since I have used the same one for 3 years I have just gotten used to it.

QHShowoman
10-14-2013, 17:37
I literally *just* bought one of the 3L ones on Thursday and used it for the first time this weekend. There was no plastic taste, at all. And I didn't even bother to rinse it before using it. Just filled it right up.

I am wondering if it was stored in a place where the plastic got hot -- from the sun, being in a hot warehouse, etc. -- and that somehow degraded the plastic or something.

Regardless, this is not normal -- return it!

SteelCut
10-14-2013, 19:11
I just bought one of the 3L ones with the blue hose too. On the first use I did have the plastic taste in mine. I filled it up with water and a little bit of baking soda and let it sit a few hours. Once I drained and refilled I didn't notice the plastic taste any more.

Phikes
10-14-2013, 19:29
Chances are if you taste it you'll always be able to taste it. Probably just your sense of taste being a bit better than others.