PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola falls park to Springer??

smithjv
10-12-2013, 20:56
Soaking up vets' experience some more . . . . .

What are the options for getting to the Springer jump-off?
Must you hike it or are rides available from the falls to a closer dropoff point off Winding Stair Gap Rd? I don't have a high wheel vehicle so can't be sure we can make it up Ninblewill/Winding Stair roads.

Hill Ape
10-12-2013, 21:36
you don't need 4wd for any of the FS roads in the Chattahoochee

max patch
10-12-2013, 21:42
From AFSP take GA 52 towards Ellijay. Before you reach Ellijay turn right on Big Creek Rd. This will turn into Doublegap Rd. There will be a white church on your left; on your right is FS 42. FS 42 is an excellent road (I used to drive on it with an MG Midget) that will take you to the Springer parking lot. Cross the road and hike 1 mile S to Springer.

Trance
10-12-2013, 22:22
Hiker Hostel shuttles to Springer/Ami if you wanna start there then have someone pick you up.

Praha4
10-13-2013, 09:12
I always park at Amicalola Falls State Park visitor center parking lot, and hike the Approach Trail up to Springer. Your vehicle is safer there, you can see the Visitor Center and the "Arch", see Amicalola Falls, and there is a nice Lodge at the park too. The park has some other side trails also, has cabins and picnic areas. The Approach Trail is very scenic and a nice little hike too. One of my favorite state parks in GA. have a great hike.

FatMan
10-13-2013, 09:25
you don't need 4wd for any of the FS roads in the ChattahoocheeSuch a blanket statement can put people in jeopardy. I know of several that I will only use 4wd. In fact, winding stair road is one of them at times based upon weather conditions. I recommend if the OP wants to get to the Springer Parking area that he use the Roy Road route with his lower clearance vehicle.

slbirdnerd
10-13-2013, 10:14
If you are leaving your car at Winding Stair and need a shuttle to the lot closest Springer on FS 42, and don't want to spend the night at Hiker Hostel (their breakfast is amazing, bunk and meal for $18, no brainer), several shuttlers can take you up the mountain (that road was in really good shape in June), then try anyone on the shuttler list for GA. I recommend Joyce and Sally or call Ron's Budget Inn Hiawassee. Note: Hiker Hostel does not shuttle in NC.

daddytwosticks
10-13-2013, 13:39
Had Wes Wisson shuttle me down FS 42 on this past Friday. It was in excellent shape all the way. In fact, someone was out with a motor-graded scraping the road on Friday. Wes told me the US Army contracts out some maintenance on the road due to the fact that their equipment tends to tear it up during ranger ops. :)

Hill Ape
10-13-2013, 13:47
Such a blanket statement can put people in jeopardy. I know of several that I will only use 4wd. In fact, winding stair road is one of them at times based upon weather conditions. I recommend if the OP wants to get to the Springer Parking area that he use the Roy Road route with his lower clearance vehicle.yeah, guess you're right. what would I know about the area

RED-DOG
10-13-2013, 16:43
I have always hiked the Approach trail From AFSP to get to Springer MT.

Trebor66
10-13-2013, 17:14
I drove to Three Forks yesterday and came in from Nimbelwill Gap. The first 2 miles or so were a little rough but not bad enough to warrant a truck or Jeep. Just go slow and be very careful going around some of those blind corners.