PDA

View Full Version : The Sprained Ankle thread.... or oops I did it again!

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2013, 11:45
Yes appears there are very few threads on Sprained ankles. Well I did it again last week, Hiking the horse loops in Ridley Creek, after the tumble I went back to look at a dirty 1" thick pine branch piece that was round... I never saw it, it just rolled out from under me. I turned around and quick hiked back out the two miles that I had covered. Spent the rest of the weekend with Ice Compression Elevation methods and what a golf ball of a sprain on one side... Spent twenty on a brace for the week and continued with the bandages at night. A week later its better but not great...

How long does your ankles take to heal?

The Old Boot
10-13-2013, 11:56
A real ankle turning sprain like that could take up to 6 weeks to heal totally.

You should really consider having it x-rayed and examined to make sure that it's just a sprain and not torn ligaments or a break.

I rolled ankles frequently from the time I was 13 until 5 years ago. When I say frequently, I'm talking at least 3 or 4 times a year for one ankle or another. Ligaments got stretched from all the sprains to the point where they are pretty much useless and I wear T2 ankle braces for ALL outside activities including taking out the trash.

5 years ago I did a fall off a six inch step into a small divot in the ground, broke one ankle, sprained the other. But x-rays to the sprained ankle showed that I had broken it previously. I know the fall that I did it, it was similar to yours - step on something that rolled, oops, off we go!!

The point I'm making is that sprains are not to be taken lightly. All those years doctors just handed me an ace bandage and crutches.

At the very least make sure you do proper PT exercises to re-stabilize and strengthen the muscles.

HeartFire
10-13-2013, 11:57
That depends on the degree of the sprain - and the size of the swelling is not an indicator of severity. BAD sprains take weeks to months to heal fully, minor sprains I've come back to full function in a week or two - BUT, I don't think my ankle will ever be 100%, so I always wear a brace when I hike. I love the Aircast A-60 (http://www.amazon.com/Aircast-A60-Ankle-Support-Medium/dp/B008CUJFBK) the only issue I have with this brace is the white mesh fabric starts to rip within no time at all - I ended up taking out the rigid brace, and covering most of the mesh area with a stronger more durable fabric (200D cordura coated nylon that I use on the tent patches). Then I put the rigid part back inside. This has held up very well for over 1000 miles so far.

Malto
10-13-2013, 12:04
15 years ago I broke an ankle while ball surfing a soccer ball. It seemed to heal fine until I injured it an an overly aggressive training hike in 2011. After a cortisone shot I was able to hike the PCT. A year ago the pain would come and go. It was located on the inside front of the my ankle where it meets my foot. The surprising thing that I discovered was that the pain wasn't caused by activity, it was caused by overextending my ankle while sleeping. I now wear a brace to bed and the pain has completely gone away. This brace keeps my ankle bent which is supposed to be its natural position.

While this is completely different than the OP's condition it does go to show that problems can be caused or continued by some unlikely sources. Good luck with your recovery.

MuddyWaters
10-13-2013, 12:26
How do you know its only a sprain?

My stepson tore all 3 ligaments in his ankle just getting off a school bus carrying a football gear bag once. Needed surgery and several weeks on crutches.

For peace of mind, Id see an ortho.

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2013, 12:33
MW I don't know - but its happened so many times over the years I just stopped running to the doctor. I am about do for an xray at the podiatrist.

Thanks Heartfire- I have a similar brace!

The Old Boot
10-13-2013, 12:47
If any of you want a really sturdy ankle brace take a look at the Active T2 brace.

I wear mine for ALL outside activity year round due to a balance problem - I don't recover from being off-balance and do a 'fall down, go boom, hurt other stuff' routine...sigh. I finally wore one of the two original braces out a year ago when one of the rivets wore through the plastic. They're downright tough.

They allow full movement up and down without allowing any inversion whatsoever. I wouldn't be able to do a tenth of what I do without them. I'd have to be a total couch potato without them. The only time they're off outside is when I'm in a canoe/kayak. No, I don't do rock climbing but I'll scramble through just about anything including some serious bushwhacking

q-tip
10-14-2013, 11:18
I have chronic ankle issues - use these ankle braces with trail runners--solved my problem.

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2013, 16:11
Interesting - but why not ankle high trail boots?

Rasty
10-14-2013, 16:30
The brace q-tip is using is leaps and bounds more supportive then any boots.

The Old Boot
10-14-2013, 17:58
Interesting - but why not ankle high trail boots?

Any trail boot stiff enough to prevent an ankle from inverting would be way too stiff to allow one to bend the ankle through the range required for hiking. With the braces I wear I could (if I wanted to) stand on my toes in ballerina pose but I can and do slide off rocks sideways before my ankle twists or inverts. The braces combined with the outrigger use of hiking poles lets me have freedom without danger.

Wise Old Owl
10-17-2013, 22:47
I get it - but I need to contemplate what you are saying.

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2013, 01:06
OK its been three weeks - the swelling is gone I am still elevating and using the brace....The pain is on and off... but wow step off as the car comes to a stop.... ouch.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-03-2013, 01:32
re the thread title: I think I'd pay to see WOO do a Britney impersonation

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 01:36

I'd pay double that to see him do a Miley Cyrus impersonation

atmilkman
11-03-2013, 09:00

I'll double that not to see it, but put it on facebook.

Rasty
11-03-2013, 09:05

Gross........

HikerMom58
11-03-2013, 09:17
I'll double that not to see it, but put it on facebook.

TW's got Miley on her mind... I did notice that on facebook!:p I'll see if I can find it... hold on.

I can't post it.... it's wayyy cutier than Miley, though. Did you see it ATM?? Buddy backpacker sticking out his tongue.... he's so cute! T&S posted the picture on facebook. TW and MM commented on it.

English Stu
11-05-2013, 11:54
I carry some Kenesio tape and some notes I learnt from Youtube about strapping ankles, knees. I also have had a few sprained ankles from my soccer days and some torn ankles ligaments.I reckon after a while trail shoes improve ankle strength

steve0423
11-05-2013, 16:48
Broke an ankle several years ago and have had constant trouble with sprains since. Wore out three T2 braces this past year on my thru, but no ankle problems, I'm a believer.

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2013, 17:06

Ha ha - Can't moonwalk either.

Ughghhhh - look what you started..... Miley C..nevermind

Pedaling Fool
11-05-2013, 18:31
Using braces/straps/footwear to support ankles should be used cautiously, IMHO. The only time I would wear them are to recuperate from an injury; it's no different than knee braces or back braces, in that they do the work you body should be doing. You should develop the stabalizing structures of your feet/ankles or else you'll just be dependent on these devices.

The reason twisted ankles are so common is because we walk around all day on unnaturally level surfaces, thanks to polite society. It's not just paved areas, but also well manicured lawns/fields/paths. Hiking the AT is one of the best things you can do for your ankles, despite it being a virtual foregone conclusion that you will "twist" an ankle at least once in your hiking career, but that only makes you stronger.