PDA

View Full Version : Wayah to NOC

LostandFound
10-13-2013, 15:35
Thinking about doing Wayah to NOC, around the last week in October. I want to leave my vehicle at the NOC, and find a shuttle to Wayah Tower area.
Any thoughts? Any shuttle recommendations?What's the water and crowd status like? Being from Florida, I feel I should inquire about the weather too. Thanks.

RED-DOG
10-13-2013, 16:35
The N.O.C is a great place to leave a vehicle and they also do shuttles but their shuttle services maybe shut down, since it's a seasonal service, but their is a couple of hostels in the area that does shuttles. "The Bear choice Hostel, and the Aquone Hostel", but The N.O.C would have a shuttle list, you should be able to find a shuttle provider with out any problems. Water is not an issue right now Theirs plenty of water at all the Shelters. Their shouldn't be a lot of people out their during the last week of october since that's around an holiday ( Halloween ), the weather will be Cool Nights and warm days maybe with a little bit of rain, so be prepared for wet cool conditions. Good Luck and happy Hiking.

10-K
10-13-2013, 16:59
Here's the number for a shuttler named Ron (not Ron Haven) out of Franklin. When I hiked the Bartram Trail I parked at NOC and he picked me up. I've used him 3 times and had no problems. 828-369-6404

daddytwosticks
10-14-2013, 07:22
Great section. The two towers make for some awesome views. :)

redseal
10-14-2013, 17:15
I left my vehicle at the NOC for 2 weeks without issues. Try Jeff at The Hike Inn. I have used him twice in the past. Reasonable rates, on time, knowledgeable and friendly.

LostandFound
10-15-2013, 06:45
Thanks! This will be my first time hiking in late October, at that altitude. In an effort to not overpack, yet be prepared for the colder weather- what clothing items when you plan to take? This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm from South Florida where we have no seasons.

Airman
10-15-2013, 10:05
Lostandfound, I will be doing the Wallace Gap to NOC at the end of the week. The days are suppose to be 60's and nights 30's. I will carrry thermos with a sleece or something to get thru the morning hrs. Rain is over by Fri,so maybe I will see you out there. I don't expect to many people on the trl. Probably have it to myself.

Waterbuffalo
10-15-2013, 15:28
call The Hike Inn Jeff he's always reasonable and has a great amount of local knowledge. We have used him for years

Weather-man
10-15-2013, 20:51
Thanks! This will be my first time hiking in late October, at that altitude. In an effort to not overpack, yet be prepared for the colder weather- what clothing items when you plan to take? This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm from South Florida where we have no seasons.

I'm planning a NOC to Standing Bear farm on the AT in early Nov....most likely carry my EE 10 degree quilt. It may be a bit overkill but I'll be warm! Will probably carry my BA copper spur fast fly, just in case.

As for clothes....my spring/fall kit includes

- Mid weight merino top and bottoms (sleeping clothes)
- Marmot driclime (walking in windy/cold)
- Patagonia nano puff (camp wear or sleeping if needed)
- Merino sleep socks
- Marmot precip rain top and bottoms though I'm considering something lighter...
- sleeping hat

I'll carry the above though may go with a heavier puffy jacket instead of the nano for camp. I'll also have bicycle gloves for walking and maybe a warmer pair of socks. Not sure yet...

Edit:

Lost, I just re-read your post and am assuming that you were born/raised in FL? I've been here in Tampa for over 10 years but lived and was raised in Buffalo, Boston, Vermont, Germany, Norway, etc...so I a take a lot of stuff for granted when it comes to folks knowledge of cold weather hiking and camping...so to better answer your question....

- The clothing list that I posted above is essentially my static or camp clothes. I bring a "system" that can be added to as required. If I wear everything that I carry I'm good to about 20-25 degree with no problems and actually quite comfortable in camp. Some folks will use their sleeping bag as a component of their camp clothes...I personally don't mess with that but I guess I would in a pinch.

- The "art form" in cold weather hiking is what to wear when hiking. Here are a couple techniques that have worked well for me:

Dress light for the hike. I personally sweat just drinking my coffee in the morning so I have no expectation of being dry. In the winter or colder months though I try my best to dress and pace myself so that I minimize sweating. Cold and wet is a bad thing. Add wind and it's a suck-fest...

Perhaps use a gear break to adjust clothing 10 or 15 min into the hike. That's to say what was comfortable when you started in the morning might have you sweating your butt off 15 min up the first hill...adjust to minimize sweating.

Keep a piece of hot gear (jacket or light sweater) handy so you can throw in over you when you take a break. This will keep you from getting chilled.

Have a hat handy

Non-water based skin cream helps in the colder months to keep your skin from getting chapped

My ensemble for a late fall hike in the smokies will be light boots, medium wool socks, light thermal bottoms, hiking shorts, light thermal top and a hat. I'll adjust all of this up and down based on conditions. It'll be a bit chilly starting in the morning but I guarantee that I'll be warm within 10 minutes. My driclime will be handy and I'll probably bring light crampons and gaiters in case of snow or ice....maybe....

If it does snow I'll normally drop the shorts and wear my rain pants as my outer garment on my legs depending in conditions.

The point is to have flexible clothing items that work well together as a system, can be vented and work when wet (wick..). No COTTON!

Stay hydrated and have good nutrition.

These are just a few thoughts and I hope they help. I would also read up on Hypo-thermia and techniques to minimize these effects. Spring and fall are beautiful times to hike but the weather can be a bit dangerous if unprepared.

sonnynGA
10-15-2013, 21:13
Did this section a year ago, wayah to stocoah gap. Left my truck at the gap in Robbinsville (no problems at all). If you have the time go to Stocoach gap taking you up and over Cheoah bald. It's a bitch of a climb but well worth it. It will be cold in the NC mountains when the sun goes down. I'm a hammock hanger and use an UQ and TQ and stay warm this time of year. When I didn't have the quilts I thought I was going to freeze to death one October night just north of that area near yellow creek. Use a medium base layer and wool socks at night and you should be good. BTW I found a transit here on WB, a nice lady from the franklin area that provided a ride for me and my daughter. Her price was very reasonable I remember. Lots of views in this section. Enjoy.