PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Black Mountains, NC?

Lucinda
08-17-2005, 06:57
Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I headed up to Mt. Mitchell with a group for three days and we had a fantastic time. It was my first time up there. We spent the first afternoon hiking up the Mt. Mitchell Trail to Commissary Hill where we set up our base camp. The next day, we day hiked the rest of the way up to Mt. Mitchell and then along the Deep Gap ridge trail to Potato Hill (yes, I even whacked my way up to the summit on that one!!) and then back down to Commissary via the Buncombe Horse Trail. The weather was wonderful, albeit a bit hazy, which means we didn't get the best views. On the last day, we hiked down to Carolina Hemlocks Campground via Buncombe Horse Trail (which in parts seems to be seldom used) and munched on some delicious blueberries and blackberries! The hikes weren't as strenuous as I'd thought they'd be, so I guess that was a pleasant surprise!

Now I'm interested in planning a trip back there in October. If you all could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

First of all, what is the weather typically like up there in October? Will there be ice covered rocks? Should I get some Stabilicers or something like that for my shoes?

I think I'd like to spend a day hike bagging the Southern Blacks (i.e. Blackstock Knob, Mt. Gibbes and Mt. Hallback). I'd start at Balsam Gap on the BRP, take Mountains to Sea across Blackstock Knob, over toward Clingmans Dome and then up Mt. Gibbes, finally on to Mt. Hallback and then back the way I came to Balsam Gap. According to my maps, it looks like the total mileage would be about 12 miles or so. Does this seem doable as a day hike? What is the best route from Blackstock Knob over to Mt. Gibbes? I've consulted a couple of books, but it's not clear to me. Also, my 2003 Pisgah map of Mt. Mitchell seems to indicate that the MST has been re-routed. In older trail descriptions, the MST actually crosses the summit of Blackstock, but on the map it shows the MST travelling a bit south of the summit. Is the "boundary" trail that crosses Blackstock on the map the old MST?

I'd like to spend two or three days on the north part of the Deep Gap (ridge) trail north of Deep Gap, to take in the summits of Winter Star Mtn, Gibbes Mtn. and Celo Knob. I'll have a partner, so we can set up a shuttle. What would be the best route for these, assuming a shuttle? How do we handle the lack of water? Is the only place where water is available near Deep Gap?

Should we just start at Mt. Mitchell, stay one night at Deep Gap and then travel to Celo Knob the next day and exit along the Woody Ridge or Bowlens Creek Trail (this means hiking with a heavier pack) or is it better to set up the base camp at Deep Gap, day hike to Celo and back (lighter pack), camp at Deep Gap again and then exit back to Mt. Mitchell? I've heard that the north part of the ridge trail can be a bit trecherous, so I'm not sure that I'd want to travel it twice!

I welcome any advice on planning this trip.

-Lucinda

The Solemates
08-17-2005, 08:17
Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I headed up to Mt. Mitchell with a group for three days and we had a fantastic time. It was my first time up there. We spent the first afternoon hiking up the Mt. Mitchell Trail to Commissary Hill where we set up our base camp. The next day, we day hiked the rest of the way up to Mt. Mitchell and then along the Deep Gap ridge trail to Potato Hill (yes, I even whacked my way up to the summit on that one!!) and then back down to Commissary via the Buncombe Horse Trail. The weather was wonderful, albeit a bit hazy, which means we didn't get the best views. On the last day, we hiked down to Carolina Hemlocks Campground via Buncombe Horse Trail (which in parts seems to be seldom used) and munched on some delicious blueberries and blackberries! The hikes weren't as strenuous as I'd thought they'd be, so I guess that was a pleasant surprise!

Now I'm interested in planning a trip back there in October. If you all could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

First of all, what is the weather typically like up there in October? Will there be ice covered rocks? Should I get some Stabilicers or something like that for my shoes?

I think I'd like to spend a day hike bagging the Southern Blacks (i.e. Blackstock Knob, Mt. Gibbes and Mt. Hallback). I'd start at Balsam Gap on the BRP, take Mountains to Sea across Blackstock Knob, over toward Clingmans Dome and then up Mt. Gibbes, finally on to Mt. Hallback and then back the way I came to Balsam Gap. According to my maps, it looks like the total mileage would be about 12 miles or so. Does this seem doable as a day hike? What is the best route from Blackstock Knob over to Mt. Gibbes? I've consulted a couple of books, but it's not clear to me. Also, my 2003 Pisgah map of Mt. Mitchell seems to indicate that the MST has been re-routed. In older trail descriptions, the MST actually crosses the summit of Blackstock, but on the map it shows the MST travelling a bit south of the summit. Is the "boundary" trail that crosses Blackstock on the map the old MST?

I'd like to spend two or three days on the north part of the Deep Gap (ridge) trail north of Deep Gap, to take in the summits of Winter Star Mtn, Gibbes Mtn. and Celo Knob. I'll have a partner, so we can set up a shuttle. What would be the best route for these, assuming a shuttle? How do we handle the lack of water? Is the only place where water is available near Deep Gap?

Should we just start at Mt. Mitchell, stay one night at Deep Gap and then travel to Celo Knob the next day and exit along the Woody Ridge or Bowlens Creek Trail (this means hiking with a heavier pack) or is it better to set up the base camp at Deep Gap, day hike to Celo and back (lighter pack), camp at Deep Gap again and then exit back to Mt. Mitchell? I've heard that the north part of the ridge trail can be a bit trecherous, so I'm not sure that I'd want to travel it twice!

I welcome any advice on planning this trip.

-Lucinda

not sure about your particular route, but concerning the weather...

October is probably the best month out of the year to be hiking any mountains, and the Blacks are no exception. Of course, the weather in October can be unpredictable as well. I have been in October and had 70 degree days and I have been and gotten caught in a snowstorm. So, in general I would be prepared for anything. I would say the average highs during the day would be high 50s, while the average low at night would hover around freezing. this will vary depending on if you plan the trip in early october versus late october, as this month is right on the verge of change in climate.

not sure that this helps...but...

sherrill
08-17-2005, 09:50
I agree with Solemates. I have spent over 30 years hiking in the Black Mountains and have seen just about every weather change imaginiable. Just make sure to check the local forecast a day ahead and plan accordingly.

Lucinda
08-17-2005, 11:30
This would be in mid-October. I'm looking forward to cooler weather -- I love winter hiking!

Any recommendations as to the route I should take over the northern half of the ridge trail? What is it generally like, as to terrain, difficulty, etc.?

Thanks.

Sly
08-17-2005, 14:28

I consider this a two day trip. Do the necessary shuttle early, leaving one car by the small cemetary near the end of the road by Bowlens Creek, drive to Mt Mitchell and camp near Deep Gap. That only leaves about 4-5 miles across the crest. The northern part of the trail may be overgrown in a few places and there's one place that could use a ladder but otherwise I didn't find it all that difficult. The last 3-4 miles to Bowlens Creek, all down from Celo are on mostly forest service road and quite easy.

There are some areas in the northern half where one could dry camp but I don't know the mileages offhand.

You'll want to check to see if the Parkway is open from the road from Burnsville to Mt Mitchell. I know a section is closed, but I'm not sure where.

It's really an awesome trail, too bad it's so short. If you need xome company, let me know!

NotYet
08-17-2005, 23:18
Hi Lucinda,

October is definitely a great time to hike in the sourthern Appalachians. But be ready for the weather to turn on you up there!

I haven't been on the Bowlen's Creek trail in years, but eveyone I've talked to says that it has been pretty overgrown lately (less of a problem in October). If you want to basecamp at Deep Gap, a really nice trail to take down is the Colbert Ridge Trail. It ends on a road just above the Carolina Hemlocks Campground; so, unfortunately, the shuttle would only be slightly shorter if you used this trail. Currently the South Toe River Rd and Neals Creek Road are still partially closed due to hurricane damage from last year. So you'd have to take the BRP north from Mitchell, then take Hwy 80 north. If you set your shuttle for the Colbert Ridge Trail, either park near the Carolina Hemlocks or park at the trailhead (just after the campground on 80 you'll cross the river, take the first road to the left and follow it a short way...trail on your right). I don't think the 2 FS roads that I mentioned will be repaired by then, but check the FS website, because they are currently working on Neals Creek Rd, and it could save you quite a bit of time.

Although the map shows the MST not crossing the summit of Blackstock Knob, I remember it staying on top of the ridge most of the time and the high point being on the trail, then it drops down and goes around Potato Knob to join with the Buncombe Horse Trail. I am not familiar with any peak named Mt. Hallback...where is it on the ridge in relation to the other peaks mentioned? Potato Knob, Clingman's Peak and Mt. Gibbs don't have any forest service trails going to the top, but there are private paths and roads that can get you up there.

Good luck and have a great trip!

TheBulgarian
08-18-2005, 10:54
The Solemates said: "October is probably the best month out of the year to be hiking any mountains."

This probably is true in the East. It certainly is not true in the West, at least for alpine areas. After the first snow hits (usually in early September), above-timberline areas get really nasty. I love that time of year and have hiked several Colorado 14'ers then, but it is a gruelling experience. You never know whether the snow you're stepping into is 3 inches deep or 3 feet deep; whether under the snow is solid ground or a between-the-rocks chasm; rock bands are covered by the snow and you can't tell where the path of least resistance is. It's too bad, because it is a beautiful time of the year. But out here, we have to wait until the snow consolidates at least somewhat (March?) before launching ourselves into the alpine on anything except skiis.

The Solemates
08-18-2005, 10:57
The Solemates said: "October is probably the best month out of the year to be hiking any mountains."

This probably is true in the East. It certainly is not true in the West, at least for alpine areas. After the first snow hits (usually in early September), above-timberline areas get really nasty. I love that time of year and have hiked several Colorado 14'ers then, but it is a gruelling experience. You never know whether the snow you're stepping into is 3 inches deep or 3 feet deep; whether under the snow is solid ground or a between-the-rocks chasm; rock bands are covered by the snow and you can't tell where the path of least resistance is. It's too bad, because it is a beautiful time of the year. But out here, we have to wait until the snow consolidates at least somewhat (March?) before launching ourselves into the alpine on anything except skiis.

granted. but most of my hiking is in the east, with 1-2 trips out west a year. and the trips out west are usually always during the summer, with the exception of course of snowskiing.

Scrunchy
08-18-2005, 11:59
Hi Lucinda.

Have you been to this web-site http://www.carolinamtnclub.org/SB6K/SB6K%20Index.htm ?

There is some great information on hiking the Blacks and attaining all the peaks.

The Bolen's Creek to Mt. Mitchell route can be done in a day...we call it the "Death March," :D, but it would be more fun to do it as an overnight. I was on the Bolen Creek Trail a year ago, and it wasn't too bad. In October it should be a little easier to follow.

I hiked the Blacks the third week of Oct. the year before last and it sleeted on me all day and the wind was absolutely howling. I was geared up as if it were a winter hike.

Good luck and hope you have a great hike. It's gorgeous in all seasons and conditions!!!!!!!!

Lucinda
08-20-2005, 08:08
I am not familiar with any peak named Mt. Hallback...where is it on the ridge in relation to the other peaks mentioned? Potato Knob, Clingman's Peak and Mt. Gibbs don't have any forest service trails going to the top, but there are private paths and roads that can get you up there.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Mt. Hallback is one of the "official" Southern Sixers. It's just northeast of Mt. Gibbs, near the southern end of the Old Mt. Mitchell Trail, near Stepps Gap.

-Lucinda

Lucinda
08-20-2005, 08:12
Have you been to this web-site http://www.carolinamtnclub.org/SB6K/SB6K%20Index.htm ?

There is some great information on hiking the Blacks and attaining all the peaks.

Yes, I've seen that site. I have the book about bagging the Southern Sixers also, which is what I'm trying to do. I get a bit confused about their use of "official" routes. Doesn't any RT of 5+ miles and an elevation gain of 500 ft. qualify? And what constitutes the RT? If you're backpacking and staying overnight and bagging peaks, does it start when you left your car? Left your camp? It gets a bit confusing. Do people actually submit their trip plans in advance to make sure they qualify?

-Lucinda

NotYet
08-20-2005, 08:29
Mt. Hallback is one of the "official" Southern Sixers. It's just northeast of Mt. Gibbs, near the southern end of the Old Mt. Mitchell Trail, near Stepps Gap.

-Lucinda

Thanks fo the info...I didn't know that peak had it's own name! Now I do!

Scrunchy
08-20-2005, 12:19
Yes, I've seen that site. I have the book about bagging the Southern Sixers also, which is what I'm trying to do. I get a bit confused about their use of "official" routes. Doesn't any RT of 5+ miles and an elevation gain of 500 ft. qualify? And what constitutes the RT? If you're backpacking and staying overnight and bagging peaks, does it start when you left your car? Left your camp? It gets a bit confusing. Do people actually submit their trip plans in advance to make sure they qualify?

-Lucinda
Hi Lucinda,

If you are backpacking, the 5 miles and 500 ft ascent would start when you leave your car. People do email their trip plans to one of the committee members just to get confirmation that the route meets the criteria if it is different from one of the many routes in the book and on the web-site.

Hope this helps!

restless
09-01-2005, 21:11
Lucinda,
Wanted to let you know that I backpacked from Bowlens Creek to Mt. Mitchell last year (I continued on to Asheville on the MST). It is the most rugged trail in the southeast that I have been on. From Deep Gap to Celo Knob the trail is substantially overgrown. I could not see the trail but I could Feel where it was. The depression of where the trail was located was a little lower than the rest of the area surrounding it. There are great views all along the route, beware of the cliffs. The trail is not blazed so pay attention to where you are going. The Blacks broaden out around Celo Knob, just before the descent into Bowlens Creek. From Deep Gap to Mt. Mitchell, the trail is not in too bad of shape. There is a campsite at Deep Gap with water to the east down an old jeep track. PM me if I can help with any further info.

Lucinda
09-21-2005, 17:58
Thanks everyone for all your input into my planned trip to the Blacks in October. My plans are really coming together. There will be four us backpacking that weekend, so it should be fun, provided the weather holds up!

Our plan is to hike from Mt. Mitchell northbound, spend one night at Deep Gap and then continue the next day out to the Bowlens Creek trail head. We'll then shuttle back to the Mt. Mitchell area (any thoughts on where to camp overnight? We were thinking the tenting spots near the Mt. Mitchell parking area). The next day we'll day hike south from Stepps Gap to the Greybeard Overlook (mostly along MST, bagging peaks along the way).

So I have a few questions:

What is the best way to drive from the Bowlens Creek trailhead to the Mt. Mitchell parking area? When I Mapquest the route, I get http://tinyurl.com/djm5r which shows a route of about 25 miles that will take almost an hour!! Is there a shorter way? Are these roads usually open? Where can I get information on road closures?

Is there potential for hammock camping at Deep Gap? I'd rather bring my hammock, but I know that many of the balds areas don't have good trees. I've seen some pictures of Deep Gap, but it's hard me to tell what is the "tree potential". Maybe I'm better off taking a tent?

Is it acceptable/wise to leave a vehicle parked overnight at the Greybeard Overlook? We'd like to shuttle our vehicles the night before our trek from Stepps Gap to Greybeard.

Thanks in advance,
Lucinda