PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Update

WMR
10-13-2013, 19:36
Hope not repeating, didn't see this news posted already, but Standing Indian Campground is closed "until further notice." NOTE: Access to Backcountry Information Center and all of FS 67 is OPEN. We arrived early morning Saturday 10/12 to do the Standing Indian Loop, having read that SIC was open as it is run by a private contractor. At the turn from US 64, however, there are signs posted that "SIC is closed until further notice". We figured we could park at Rock Gap if nothing else, so proceeded. In fact the Campground is closed, gate across the road at the entrance, but FS 67 to BIC and beyond wide open. In fact, with SIC closed there are lots of cars and campers all along FS 67 from BIC down to the blue blazes off FS 67. Bottom line: if you want AT access via Rock Gap, Kimsey Creek, Long Branch, Timber Ridge or any other point off FS 67 no problem, as of noon 10/13 when we left BIC. We hiked in on Kimsey Creek, and hiked out on Timber Ridge and FS 67 after my wife tweaked a knee. FYI Timber Ridge I think not as widely known as Kimsey Creek or Long Branch, but a great trail - runs along the river, fern glades and rhododendron, first 2/3 mile from FS 67 a good incline but more gradual from there up to the AT. Nice hike.

daddytwosticks
10-14-2013, 07:18
Thanks for the info. I wonder if a person hikes the Kimsey Creek trail if he/she would be in violation since it actually passes through the closed campgrounds? :)