PDA

View Full Version : Polite way to pass

DandT40
10-14-2013, 10:42
I am no supper speed hiker, but my natural walking speed is about 4 mph and when I'm trying to knock out a 25+ mile day I tend to mix in some light jogging on trails as well. Overall I average about a 5mph with lunch and everything (don't take many/any breaks). This past weekend I was on a crowded trail with a ton of day hikers out to enjoy the leafs. I was passing them all and one guy I nearly scared half to death as he some how didn't hear me coming even with all the leafs on the ground, a young couple saw me and just decided they would rather have me hike on their heels then let me pass, and another father and son team just didn't seem to care that I wanted to pass even after I asked...

I say hello to everyone I see on the trails, but when approaching from behind its awkward as to when to say hello without scaring the crap out of someone. My wife suggested to do like bikers do and say "passing on your left" or something like that, but there's not really room to pass on the left on most sections of trails. If I could I would, but most of the time I need them to stop and pull over so I can get by.

How does everyone else handle this? I know I got more than a few comments just for walking fast thrown my way after passing, but I don't really care about that. But at the same time I want to be as polite as possible to other hikers and prefer not to scare the crap out of them.

Pedaling Fool
10-14-2013, 10:52
Saying "passing on your left" does scare people; I end up just passing without saying anything, just sway out into the lane and pass. However, not an option on the trail, so I wouldn't worry if you scare them by simply speaking, whatever you speak.

A lot of people hate being passed, no matte how polite you are; I guess it's just an ego thing. I wouldn't overly concern myself, since the problem is with them.

RED-DOG
10-14-2013, 11:04
I try to cough loudly about 20-30 ft before I reach them, to let them know that I am their, then I say excuse me but can I pass you guys, then they step out of the trail and let me pass, I don't use trekking poles that's why I do it this way, but if you use poles they should be able to hear them clanking on the ground, then you just say excuse me, but if you don't do any thing cough, whistle, or some thing else, it could scare them and it could cause them to fall and get hurt.

ChinMusic
10-14-2013, 11:12
I'm an expert at being passed.

I like it when the faster hiker says something as simple as "hiker" when they are still well behind me. I know I'm gonna get surprised from time to time and that's fine. Just announcing your presence is easier on my heart. I'll pull over at the first reasonable opportunity. If the trail is tight that might not be for a minute or so. Usually I will pull over immediately when I sense you behind me without you having to ask.

Kerosene
10-14-2013, 11:38
I'm not as fast as I once was, and I was never as fast as you, but I do tend to pass people during the day. I go with the subtle cough or clicking trekking poles to announce my presence, ideally 20-30 yards behind. If they don't acknowledge in some way (some folks hike with earbuds in) then I may scuffle my feet as I catch up with them or call out a hearty "Good Morning!". If it isn't convenient to pass, I may chat a bit as I'm right behind them and then ask if I can pass as I have a big day ahead of me.

Namtrag
10-14-2013, 11:41
I have never passed anyone since I hike so slow, but people come up behind me, I appreciate a little warning, say 10-20 feet before they catch me, and I always pull over to let people pass. I can't imagine not being polite to someone faster than I, and vice versa.

Rolls Kanardly
10-14-2013, 11:48
The trail is open to everyone, even inconsiderate, rude, impolite people. If you pass my slow rear at that speed I will pull out a flag and wave you on. And that shelter 10 miles on the trail will have one less to fill it, even though I would miss talking to someone who can cover that much trail. Halloween is just a short time away where it is expected to scare the heck out of someone and most people love it. Say something nice when passed by another hiker, maybe they will stop for a minute and you can make a new friend.
And WOW, you will finish weeks before I do. Rolls Kanardly

rocketsocks
10-14-2013, 11:52
Tap em on the right shoulder, skin on by on the left.

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 11:59
My rule of thumb- never sneak up on anyone.
Unless they are carefully traversing a narrow ledge with a 1000' fall (or other life threatening situation)- shout out early. I go with a "Well hey there!" or something friendly. I used to yell on your left, but found that to came out harshly on accident which left scowls on the faces of those I passed and find forcing my self to say something friendly forces my tone to stay friendly. I used to just pass, or rely on them hearing me but more than a few times I found I startled folks as I was right next to them; a bad plan for all involved.

Shout out a good twenty feet or more, nobody likes to be surprised when you are in close proximity. People jump, swing sticks or poles, or even freak out. We've all been daydreaming in the woods- assume they are too. You will startle them regardless, better for all involved if you are a safe distance from them, not whispering "Hello Clarice" in their ear from two feet away.

Shouting out early also lets them stop, exchange a few hello's, nice day, great day for a hike, and other friendly banter before you pass; all reducing some of the "That ******* is in too big a rush even to say hi" response.

So- Say hi 20-40 feet away, exchange a few pleasantries, and proceed with ease. For big crowds or youth groups; well sometimes life's tough and you'll have to share.

Malto
10-14-2013, 12:08
I usually will start clinking my trekking poles on rocks as soon as I see a hiker ahead. There is almost no way to keep from startling hikers on occasion because even the trekking pole trick will scare a few folks.

hikerboy57
10-14-2013, 12:35
My rule of thumb- never sneak up on anyone.
Unless they are carefully traversing a narrow ledge with a 1000' fall (or other life threatening situation)- shout out early. I go with a "Well hey there!" or something friendly. I used to yell on your left, but found that to came out harshly on accident which left scowls on the faces of those I passed and find forcing my self to say something friendly forces my tone to stay friendly. I used to just pass, or rely on them hearing me but more than a few times I found I startled folks as I was right next to them; a bad plan for all involved.

Shout out a good twenty feet or more, nobody likes to be surprised when you are in close proximity. People jump, swing sticks or poles, or even freak out. We've all been daydreaming in the woods- assume they are too. You will startle them regardless, better for all involved if you are a safe distance from them, not whispering "Hello Clarice" in their ear from two feet away.

Shouting out early also lets them stop, exchange a few hello's, nice day, great day for a hike, and other friendly banter before you pass; all reducing some of the "That ******* is in too big a rush even to say hi" response.

So- Say hi 20-40 feet away, exchange a few pleasantries, and proceed with ease. For big crowds or youth groups; well sometimes life's tough and you'll have to share.like. .

Old Grouse
10-14-2013, 12:37
There are lots of oblivious people out there, and some may also be the same ones you find on the highway squatting in the passing lane for miles. Dues-paying members of the Anti-Destination League.

DandT40
10-14-2013, 12:50
Thanks for all the tips. I guess I'll just start calling out earlier. When in more remote areas I defiantly do that more and have a longer interaction with people on the trail. The section I was on this past weekend is no more than 20 miles from a major city and like I said just tons of day hikers out to see the leafs who wanted no part of me or a conversation.

Odd Man Out
10-14-2013, 12:51
Etiquette (and lack thereof) goes both ways. I've been passes by people who are very put out that I didn't get over fast enough and they had to break their stride. Most of the time it's not an issue.

GoldenBear
10-14-2013, 12:58
I've done 866 miles on the Trail and I have NEVER passed anyone -- EVER. Plain and simple, I'm too slow.
In other words, I also know a lot about being passed.

If you're behind me and I'm not moving over because I'm concentrating on the trail ahead (or any of 100 other things I think about while on the Trail) instead of the trail behind, simply say something like, "Coming behind you", preferably about 10 to 20 feet behind me. I do prefer that you NOT wait till you're within five feet before you get my attention, as it startles me. However, no matter when or how I detect your presence; I'll look back, see you coming, and pull over as soon as practical -- which generally means right away.

BTW, here's what you'll see from my back:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=49881

jburgasser
10-14-2013, 12:59
"Hello Clarice"
Dude, that is funny!

1azarus
10-14-2013, 13:05
There are lots of oblivious people out there, and some may also be the same ones you find on the highway squatting in the passing lane for miles. Dues-paying members of the Anti-Destination League.

While politely passing all the posts in this thread I just had to stop and say thanks to old grouse for introducing me to the phrase 'anti destination league'...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

HikerMom58
10-14-2013, 13:12
like. .

Of course! :>)

I don't ever scare anyone that I come up on... that's impossible for me. I talk and laugh with my hiking partner the whole time I'm hiking. Hikers have told me, they can hear me coming from a distance away ( "ahh... I know who that is"... ;)

Other hikers, on the other hand, have scared the bejeebers out of me. After my heart stops pounding, we/I usually laugh about it. :D I love seeing other hikers out on the trail.... Well hey there! Not so sure the feeling is mutual sometimes but 2 each his own. :cool:

quasarr
10-14-2013, 13:33
Just say, "excuse me," it's polite and everyone will know what you mean.

Hot Flash
10-14-2013, 13:37
You will startle them regardless, better for all involved if you are a safe distance from them, not whispering "Hello Clarice" in their ear from two feet away.

Oh, man...you just ruined all the fun! ;)

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 13:40
Oh, man...you just ruined all the fun! ;)

You can still offer to serve them Fava Beans

Rasty
10-14-2013, 14:01
You can still offer to serve them Fava Beans

Honestly, who serves Fava beans with Chianti? An Orvieto would be more appropriate.

rocketsocks
10-14-2013, 14:24
Just be cognesant when eating fava beans and passing, don't want to crop dust someone.

10-14-2013, 16:57
Perhaps you are just to impatient!
If you do not have room to go around them why do you think there is room for them to get out of there way. I am slow and rise early so everyone passes me. If there is room I surly step aside, but in rhododendron, laurel and such there is no room. You may need to wait for them to find a place they can get out of your way.
Or perhaps they do not want to mess up there stride!

redseal
10-14-2013, 17:13
I try to shout out "Hello" when I see a hiker in front of me that I am obviously going to pass. Then when I get closer I ask if they would mind letting me pass. As others have said, some people are kind about it and others not so much. But hey, at least I was nice :-)

Phikes
10-14-2013, 19:35
Be a normal human, say hello, good mornin' or whatever and simply ask if you could squeeze or sneak by or whatever. Jus use yo words man. Simple as that.

Old Hiker
10-14-2013, 20:57
I like to hear "Howdy" or some such from behind me. I've NEVER, EVER been at a place I couldn't step aside for a few seconds. If I hear you behind me soon enough (not right behind me), I'll start looking for the tiniest of places to move aside. I don't mind - I get to rest......, I mean, check out the scenery.

I'm more surprised by the people in FRONT of me - I'm so busy cataloging all the rocks, roots and small-sized gnats that I'm going to trip over, I fail to see you approaching. My first clue is your boots or shoes in front of me !!!

That being said: please respond by saying "Thanks" as you whip by. Hopefully, I'm near a medium sized tree to grab so your slip stream doesn't drag me forward 20-30 feet.

Ah, jealousy - you raise your ugly, green head yet again.

July
10-14-2013, 21:28
Spoken like a true gentleman. Usually when getting close, ie, not to close... let out a coon hound sound.

I'm an expert at being passed.

I like it when the faster hiker says something as simple as "hiker" when they are still well behind me. I know I'm gonna get surprised from time to time and that's fine. Just announcing your presence is easier on my heart. I'll pull over at the first reasonable opportunity. If the trail is tight that might not be for a minute or so. Usually I will pull over immediately when I sense you behind me without you having to ask.

Dogwood
10-14-2013, 23:17
Polite way to pass? Sneak up behind them, smack em upside the back of the head, and yell at them "get the hell outta the trail, comin through." A wisenheimer hiking friend did that to me one time(One Time!) scaring the crap of me as I was in the zone ear phones in and I tripped his ass so that he fell into some brambles.

Hill Ape
10-15-2013, 00:17
I scream bear and sprint past

ChinMusic
10-15-2013, 00:32
In your sleep

slbirdnerd
10-15-2013, 08:39
How about easy common courtesy, and if they don't like it at least you tried. I usually do something like this: "Good morning!" You know, or afternoon or whatever, from far enough back you don't give them a heart attack. "Do you mind if I pass please?" ... "Thanks! Have a great hike!" I always get out of the way when I hear someone coming, form either directions. It's just nice.

Dogwood
10-15-2013, 09:54
I scream watch out for the bear as I streak by.

hikerboy57
10-15-2013, 10:19
I scream watch out for the bear as I streak by.I would have figure d youd just take a running start and leap over them

The Solemates
10-15-2013, 10:21
I don't understand people that cannot detect a hiker is coming. They must not be in tune with nature. I have never been "sneaked up on" that I can remember. I always recognize when someone is behind or in front of me, regardless of how much noise they are making. On the flip side when I am doing the passing I expect the same out of others, but I'll use the cough or scuffle the feet method just in case. I prefer not to break the silence with a lot of talking. A simple nod and smile, and perhaps a "howdy" is in order. If they want to chat, I have no problem stopping to do so, but I don't usually initiate.

Dogwood
10-15-2013, 10:41
I would have figure d youd just take a running start and leap over them

Heck, I regularly get passed by 12 yr old Girl Scouts. I got over that egotistical competitive need to pass people a long time ago...mostly.:D You can learn a lot about someone when you watch them hike while behind them a bit.

ChinMusic
10-15-2013, 10:50
I'm slow. On my AT thru this year I passed one thru-hiker on the trail prior to Maine. For some odd reason I passed several on my Big K day. I must have been pumped.

The only time I passed a significant number of folks was on weekends in the Whites. I got my brief "thrill" of showing off my trail legs to dayhikers.

HikerMom58
10-15-2013, 11:01
I'm slow. On my AT thru this year I passed one thru-hiker on the trail prior to Maine. For some odd reason I passed several on my Big K day. I must have been pumped.

The only time I passed a significant number of folks was on weekends in the Whites. I got my brief "thrill" of showing off my trail legs to dayhikers.

This competitive hiking fast thing really stinks but I'm all over showing off how all that hiking makes a person's legs (ur body in general) look awesome!! Yeah Chin... show it off!! :p

ChinMusic
10-15-2013, 11:07
This competitive hiking fast thing really stinks but I'm all over showing off how all that hiking makes a person's legs (ur body in general) look awesome!! Yeah Chin... show it off!! :p

ehhhh, they were too busy staring at the beard to notice the legs...........

Seatbelt
10-15-2013, 11:35
I don't understand people that cannot detect a hiker is coming. They must not be in tune with nature.

I've come across several who couldn't hear a word that was being said to them---just blankly stare at me. Then I realize that they have "buds" in their ears. I'm like you,. I can't imagine hiking this way, a rattlesnake is a good thing to "hear" as opposed to making contact with.

Magilla
10-15-2013, 16:43
I may not hear someone coming behind me for the simple fact is I wear hearing aids and at times if its raining or the wind is blowing enough to be annoying I will take them out. So sometimes people may have to speak up and I am always glad to let them pass after the initial heart attack passes.

Tuckahoe
10-15-2013, 17:00
this competitive hiking fast thing really stinks but i'm all over showing off how all that hiking makes a person's legs (ur body in general) look awesome!! Yeah chin... Show it off!! :p

you first!!

Another Kevin
10-15-2013, 17:21
I've said it before. My usual hiking speed is 'snail'. If I really pour on the coal I can kick it up to 'tortoise.'

I like a 'hi' or 'good morning' or whatever when people are approaching, because I'm also noisy; my trekking poles clatter, I've been known to huff and puff, and even my footfalls seem to be less than quiet. I can indeed be startled at your approach. (And you'll most likely get a greeting from me as I approach if I see you first.)

I'm happy to give way to anyone approaching from behind, because I know that I'm slower than just about everyone. With certain large groups, this means that I play leapfrog. I catch up to them at their breaks, they overtake me on the trail, I catch up at their next break, all day long. Aside from that, once people are in front of me, I seldom see them again.

I also appreciate people giving way, and thank them, when I'm going up and they're going down. It's only fairly recently that I've been back into hiking long enough to find a rhythm again. And it is surprisingly annoying, once you've found a rhythm, to have to break stride up hill. On the other hand, sometimes I've NOT found my rhythm and I'll happily give way and pant for a bit. If we find that we've done the dance of giving way to each other, that's time for a remark like, "large weather we're having, isn't it?" or "this fun is certainly having a lot of trail!" (Because I get incoherent in a situation like that.)

Oak88
10-15-2013, 17:51
As a thru hiker sometimes hikers smelled me before they saw me. I usually click my hiking poles together. I have been known to say, "Thru Hiker Comin Through" (all in good humor) I usually stop and say hello how are you from a distance. I have had the bejeezus scared out of me as I hike as I am hearing impaired to begin with so a bit of noise is helpful from a distance. I had more trouble with large groups coming at me not giving way when I was laboring up hill. The proper etiquette for hikers coming at you is to give way to the fella comin up the hill. I often stepped off the trail to give way at the same time as a hiker comin at me so we both kinda sat and stared at each other a bit overly polite.

Just Bill
10-15-2013, 23:33
While I fully agree with the "yield to the uphill hiker argument" in recent years I have added a rule that trumps the others. "The lone hiker yields to the larger group" Mainly because I started to feel bad when I watched groups of well meaning and rule following scout troops tramp off and stomp down a twenty hiker wide swath of underbrush as they politely stepped out of my way. So these days, regardless of direction and all the other nuances, I step lightly aside; saving the lives of countless forest dwellers in the process.

Northern Lights
10-16-2013, 01:25
Well, since I am so slow I never pass anyone this isn't a concern for me :D However I was not far from Tray a couple of years ago and thought I was going to have a heart attack when out of the corner of my eye I saw someone coming up behind me. He said he was trying not to scare me. But that scared me more than if he had just called out.

Slo-go'en
10-16-2013, 11:33
I never understood the "up hill has right of way" rule. I always yeld to down hill hikers. They have momentum and I have to catch my breath. Stopping for large groups going down hill is always a good idea too, as Bill says.

I'm a farily quiet hiker and have been known to sneak up on people. Unless I loudly click my poles as I get near, often they won't hear me until I'm right on thier heals. At that point the only option is to shout out "Get out of the way and let me pass, damn it".

Coffee
10-16-2013, 11:47
I never understood the "up hill has right of way" rule. I always yeld to down hill hikers. They have momentum and I have to catch my breath. Stopping for large groups going down hill is always a good idea too, as Bill says. .

Uphill hikers have momentum and it is expensive for them to stop and then regain that momentum. I always yield to uphill hikers unless they indicate that they wish to stop for a break (happens quite a bit). When I'm going uphill, I've found that *most* backpackers yield but *few* day hikers will do so.

fiddlehead
10-16-2013, 11:53
Didn't read the whole thread but I always say: "On your right" or "on your left" when passing.
I do it about 4 or 5 steps back so as not to scare.
Works for me.

I don't generally hike when it's prime time and prefer more lonesome trails but it still happens sometimes.

WolfCBP
10-16-2013, 12:12
When I hear "good [whatever time of day]", I turn and respond with same pleasantry. Usually, by the time I stop and turn, they have closed the distance more and I smile as they pass. 20 feet is sufficient notice. Perhaps it is the psychological effect of the "good morning/afternoon/evening" that causes me to respond automatically with a polite response of my own. Perhaps those who would normally block you would "fall for it" too?

fredmugs
10-16-2013, 14:12
I make a lot of noise and 99% of the time other hikers just let me by. For the 1% I just say "Can I get past you when you get the chance?" No problems and I certainly don't expect someone to stop over a crappy part of the trail just to endulge me. Or if I now the trail is muddy, confined, whatever I hang part a little on purpose and then close the gap when I think I can pass - just like driving a car.

ChinMusic
10-16-2013, 14:38
I did have one instance this summer where I had just passed my hiking partner, who was taking a break. Right after I passed him I heard someone behind me. I thought it was him and "knew" there was no need to get over. Finally, after several minutes, the hiker kindly asked if he could pass. I apologized profusely for my trail hogging letting him know I thought he was my buddy.

lemon b
10-17-2013, 08:49
I think passing and being passed is just a normal part of hiking. Nothing to create a stir about. My only worry is about me peeing just off trail and being seen. But isn't that normal once in awhile too?

Old Hiker
10-17-2013, 12:19
I think passing and being passed is just a normal part of hiking. Nothing to create a stir about. My only worry is about me peeing just off trail and being seen. But isn't that normal once in awhile too?

Oh, man - thread drift, but YES !! How is it I hike for hours without seeing anyone but as SOON as I step off the Trail, thinking I've gone far enough to be hidden, that mixed group of hikers comes up ???

tf bear
10-18-2013, 12:45
Not to drift further but I always feel the need to exchange pleasantries when coming across another hiker. I just find it odd that you are miles away from anywhere and you meet another human and you don't acknowledge them in some fashion. Please when passing me say something. One not to startle me cause I don't know you are there and Two just to show that you are human. We don't need to get to know one another. A simple hello or a nod would work. Once I was quickly passed five miles from nowhere by a dude carrying just groceries. No acknowledgement at all. I jumped like a cat. Good thing, never saw or heard from him again.

max patch
10-18-2013, 12:53
Oh, man - thread drift, but YES !! How is it I hike for hours without seeing anyone but as SOON as I step off the Trail, thinking I've gone far enough to be hidden, that mixed group of hikers comes up ???

Or you hike 50 feet off trail not knowing that the trail made a sharp turn and you don't realize you are now about 5 feet from the trail.

squeezebox
10-20-2013, 19:49
As a cyclist / from a bit away , I not too loudly say " YO" if they don't respond "YO!!", 3rd attempt loudly "YO, HEY!!!" Then I pass on the left put my hand on their shoulder and lightly push them to the right. Finish with "You heard me. Share the trail". Everyone I've ever encountered realized they were wrong.

aficion
10-20-2013, 20:15
When I pass, I try to be downwind.

H_McC
12-18-2013, 01:19
All these ways work for people who aren't listening to music. But some times people are listening to music so damn loud they can't hear you. When that happens, which was a lot for me, all you can do is scare them. I always dreaded that but unfortunately could never make enough noise to get their attention.

Nuggz
12-19-2013, 16:30
Hit them in the back with a few small pebbles. When they turn around I toss a handful of sand in their face. By time they have realize what happened, I'm well ahead and out of sight.

George
12-19-2013, 16:51
I slow down and get quiet when approaching more than 1 person, see if I can hear any good stories

squeezebox
12-19-2013, 18:02
I've been a cyclist for a long time, and I can hear a bicycle coming up behind me most of the time on smooth roads. I can not imagine that you can not hear another hiker coming up behind you.

tolowo80
01-22-2014, 00:01
Ah man.. this has to be my biggest pet peeve on the trail hamds down. The thing todo is to give the heads up "passing on the left" the problem is that every year it seems like less and less people know about this. Now I'm all for shating the traols and understand that certain sections are just single track, but people have to move out the way. I've come across people walking 2 - 4 across blocking the trail, and they scoff at me when I give a call out. As an advid hiker, cyclist and trail runner I still give these calls out and appreciate when someone comes up behind me and calls out.. that's how I see sharing the trail.. some day I will tell thw stoey of running an ultra being stuck behind several folks riding a horse. Lets just say I nevee knew a horses butt at face level...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

leaftye
01-22-2014, 01:51
Uphill hikers have momentum and it is expensive for them to stop and then regain that momentum. I always yield to uphill hikers unless they indicate that they wish to stop for a break (happens quite a bit). When I'm going uphill, I've found that *most* backpackers yield but *few* day hikers will do so.

Also the downhill hiker is more likely to spot the uphill hiker first and be able to choose a better spot to pull over.

Odd Man Out
01-22-2014, 18:23
On a related note, there is also a conventional etiquette for passing people going the opposite direction. Unfortunately it seems that convention is not the same for trail runners and hikers.

From http://www.trailrunner.com/news/trail_etiquette.htm
"Uphill runners yield to downhill runners in most situations."

And from http://www.backpacker.com/prof-hike-trail-etiquette/skills/15135
"If you’re descending a steep trail and you see hikers coming up, step off the path to let them pass."

So if you are hiking up hill and encounter a trail runner coming down, look out!

jberretta7
03-17-2014, 12:36
Tap em on the right shoulder, skin on by on the left.
hahahahahaha +1 all day long

FarmerChef
03-17-2014, 12:39
Air horn and then run underneath...:D

88BlueGT
03-17-2014, 12:54
I've honestly never had an issue passing someone. If someone hears me coming up behind them and moving faster; they have always moved out of the way. A polite Hello and thank you as I pass and I'm off.

Malto
03-17-2014, 13:31
Air horn and then run underneath...:D

If they are running commando and wearing a kilt you could be for a surprise.

Drybones
03-17-2014, 16:16
I may not hear someone coming behind me for the simple fact is I wear hearing aids and at times if its raining or the wind is blowing enough to be annoying I will take them out. So sometimes people may have to speak up and I am always glad to let them pass after the initial heart attack passes.

I always hate letting folks know I'm back there, no matter how soft and sweet I may try to sound, most act like they've crapped thier britches when you surprise them, I've found clearing my throat first works best.

Drybones
03-17-2014, 16:22
- just like driving a car.

!8-wheelers always have the right-of-way.

Drybones
03-17-2014, 16:31
I don't have a rule, just do whatever seems right for the situation. If you see someone sashaying done the trail apparently wanting to make time I get off the trail, if I see someone mosying along like they're looking for a reason to take a break I help them out. Most places two people can pass anyway with neither stopping. Don't need a rule, just be respectful and try to give the other guy whatever it appears he would like for those couple of seconds in passing.

kofritz
03-17-2014, 16:50
maybe a lil' golf etiquette would apply....instead of playing through...just say behind you...faster hiker gets the ROW. only peeps with ear plugs or engaged in conversation tend not to notice someone approaching, even from behind. bells or other noise may help2.

rafe
03-17-2014, 18:40
I've never known it to be a problem. I instinctively pull to the side when I hear footsteps approaching. I'm happy to oblige. Noisy groups, too.... let 'em go. Godspeed. I don't pass that many hikers, I'm usually the one being passed.

Game Warden
03-18-2014, 18:56
As one who often follows other people in the woods, I've never seen a hunter, hiker, etc, ever look back. I usually always look back every 50-100 yards.

Also, if I meet somebody approaching, I yield if I'm on patrol; I yield as a dayhiker for overnighters; and I yield for the rest as an exercise in humility.

Old Grouse
03-18-2014, 19:40
I've remarked here before that I find it unusual that no one seems to check their back trail. And not just for overtaking hikers - youre missing half the views out there!

Drybones
03-18-2014, 21:17
I've remarked here before that I find it unusual that no one seems to check their back trail. And not just for overtaking hikers - youre missing half the views out there!

I occasionally look back...when I'm lost and looking for a blaze on either side of a tree.

Deadeye
03-18-2014, 22:07

I often check behind me... I'm not paranoid, people really are out to get me.

Other
03-19-2014, 04:08
Please be advised, all subjects have now been fully discussed and the forum will close in 15 minutes. Thank you

Foresight
03-19-2014, 18:02
Carry a few rocks and toss them to the uphill side. The offender will invariable do one of two things; freeze, which will allow you to pass or bolt, which will alleviate the need for passing.

That being said, sometimes I will moo loudly.....Herd Bull leads the way.