PDA

View Full Version : The best breakfast ever!

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 15:56
Well maybe not- you let me know. Full info in the PDF- cliff notes below to let you know what you're opening up.
Just Billís Trail Ready Oatmeal-
Calories per ounce- 141 Total calories- 705 Serving size-142.5 grams (five ounces)
Total Volume per serving- about 1.25 cups. Cook time in the field: Hot- 3-7 minutes Cold- 15 min.

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 16:01
Actually I think I messed up, technically this is the second best. The best is served in the cafť and includes bacon, marble rye toast, butter, jelly, and Via.

geomaniac
10-14-2013, 16:11
Looks good! Thanks for sharing. I will have to give it a try.

Rasty
10-14-2013, 16:12
Nice recipe. I'm still stuck on shakes for breakfast as I like to wake up a be walking ten minutes later. Put it all in my gatorade bottle shake it up and go. Drink over the next hour.

Nestles Nido
Carnation Instant Breakfast
Freeze dried fruit pulverized
Pulverized nuts

Maybe I will add some oats for s&g

Lone Wolf
10-14-2013, 16:14
bacon, eggs and a fried bagel is what i make on the trail

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 16:24

Do you fry the bagel in bacon grease?- because that would officially make you official- officially speaking.

yellowsirocco
10-14-2013, 19:35
Lox with all the fixin's, that is the best breakfast on the trail.

Phikes
10-14-2013, 19:51
All Pop Tarts and no oats make Jack a dull boy. all pop tarts and no oats make jack a dull boy. allpoptartsandnooatsmakejackadullboy. Anyway you get it, looks tasty Bill.

Dogwood
10-14-2013, 20:25
For b-fast, a 390 cal Pro Bar or 360 cal Bobo's Oat Bar works when I want to get up and be hiking in under 20 mins. When on a COLD hike I mix it up more by appreciating something warm on ocassion like some oatmeal with hemp seed, coconut flakes or powder, nuts, and a bit of dried fruit(dried mango, blueberries, and strawberries are delish esppecially with the dried coocnut milk). Doctored up Amaranthe and millet work well for a quick hot b-fast too.

Deacon
10-14-2013, 22:46
I practically lived on Probars during my Long Trail thru hike last summer. Had one every two hours in between breakfast and dinner.

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 22:56
Bars make me want to puke. We are crossing threads here, but they remind me of rectally produced whey protein shakes after awhile.

Rasty
10-14-2013, 22:59
See post 6 for shake reference. I do like snickers bars.

Dogwood
10-14-2013, 23:01
I look for the Pro Bars and Bobo's Oat Bars when on sale though as it can be pricey just gnoshing on those bars all the time on a long distance hike. Sorry JustBill to the best of my knowledge either company doesn't make a bacon, butter, and grease version.

Just Bill
10-14-2013, 23:16
In all serious seriousness- one of the reasons I posted the recipe is that you can eat it cold. Just dump it in a Ziploc- wait fifteen or twenty and suck it down. I often eat it cold for lunch. If you double the water, 1 full cup, and let it sit for 25 minutes it gets mushy enough that it turns into a drinkable shake. You have to chew it obviously, but it is quite easy to eat while walking at that consistency.

You'd need to eat more bars than my jaw can comfortably process to find 700 calories for breakfast.

Rasty- you could toss some of these oats in a spice mill (a food snob's way of saying a coffee grinder) and add them to your shake to bulk it up. Snickers clearly transcend the bar category- although Baby Ruth remains the best bar to drop into a public pool when you need more room to swim.

Dogwood
10-14-2013, 23:24
Since we're talkin food I have two trail food books I would like to gift to someone. - Backpack Gourmet by Linda Yaffe and Simple Foods for the Pack by Axcell, Kath, and Cooke. PM if interested I'' get them out to you if you provide your contact info.

daddytwosticks
10-15-2013, 07:18
A fried apple pie (Krispy Kream brand) and a hard boiled egg when I section hike. Also, must have a large cup of coffee (with creamer and sugar). Always look forward to breakfast. :)

Chif
10-15-2013, 08:30
I would recommend the Logan Bead recipe from sectionhiker.com; It is very good. I eat it for breakfast a lot of mornings even when i am not hiking. It also freezes well.

HikerMom58
10-15-2013, 08:47
THanks JB.. I printed it off.. looks excellent! :>)

That BabY Ruth bar in the pool?? I got that "word picture". :D Ha ha! Where does this stuff come from,JB?? I love it!! I can never read a post of urs without smiling/laughing. You're the man, JB. Thanks again for sharing!!

Dogwood
10-15-2013, 09:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

fredmugs
10-15-2013, 10:40
Oatmeal = Fail

In Yellowstone we brought in a dozen fresh eggs, shredded cheese, bacon bits, salsa, and I can't remember what else. Each one of us cracked two eggs into a zip lock, added in the cheese, bacon bits, etc and then boiled the bag until the eggs were cooked and added in the salsa. That was my best trail breakfast ever.

HikerMom58
10-15-2013, 10:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

Ahhh ha ha!! :>)

Oatmeal = Fail

In Yellowstone we brought in a dozen fresh eggs, shredded cheese, bacon bits, salsa, and I can't remember what else. Each one of us cracked two eggs into a zip lock, added in the cheese, bacon bits, etc and then boiled the bag until the eggs were cooked and added in the salsa. That was my best trail breakfast ever.

Oatmeal = Good food!

Your breakfast sounds delish too!

Praha4
10-15-2013, 11:31
Just Bill: great looking recipe, thanks for posting here. Like many others here, I was eating Probars on the LT hike. I liked the Oatmeal n' Raisin Probars in the A.M. Another great breakfast no-cook drink are the Starbucks Via Instant Iced Coffees.

WeShallSee
10-15-2013, 12:38
Great to see you are posting again. Where you been?

WeShallSee
10-15-2013, 12:39
Great to see you are posting again. Where you been?

That was supposed to say. Just Bill, great to see you are posting again.

Poedog
10-19-2013, 20:38
Chia Seed Porridge: Soak a few tablespoons of chia seed in a little water or juice, add nuts, fruit, nut butters, sweetner of choice, etc. No cook necessary. Surprisingly filling and LOADS of energy. High concentrations of fat, protein, carbohydrates, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Since a serving is only a few dried tablespoons, a sandwich bagful last weeks or more in the backcountry.

Labojo
10-19-2013, 21:15
The best breakfast is at Mountain Harbour B&B

Dogwood
10-19-2013, 21:29
Chia Seed Porridge: Soak a few tablespoons of chia seed in a little water or juice, add nuts, fruit, nut butters, sweetner of choice, etc. No cook necessary. Surprisingly filling and LOADS of energy. High concentrations of fat, protein, carbohydrates, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Since a serving is only a few dried tablespoons, a sandwich bagful last weeks or more in the backcountry.

Another good one.

4Bears
10-19-2013, 21:53
A lot of great info here thanks for sharing.

hobbs
10-19-2013, 21:56
good stuff Just bill thanks for sharing..

Wise Old Owl
10-19-2013, 23:20
Just bill the calories appear to be too low...its not important but we need more calories -
a quaker oatmeal at 2.4 oz = 270 oz...

http://www.quakeroats.com/Libraries/Real_Medleys-Landing_Page/products_1.sflb.ashx

Just Bill
10-20-2013, 03:01
On that subject- Just tried the real medley's bars. A bit sweet, but for $2 for a box of six, they are some of the best bars I've had- with big chunks of fruit in them. Other than added sweetners- they are pretty good.

squeezebox
10-20-2013, 19:24
Best breakfast ?
Variation of eggs benidict, // take out the English muffin replace with Artichoke bottom, farm eggs, Smoked salmon not canadian bacon. Bernaise instead of a plain holindaise. topped fresh cracked pepper, a bit of flat parsley. best made at home wearing only an apron, served in bed.

Del Q
10-20-2013, 20:11
My Go To breakfast has become 2 chocolate Carnation instant's, eat dried fruit and nuts from my food bag................but I do remember a breakfast in Damascus at the end of my Spring Section hike, think that it was $9.69............I said "if you have a $10.00 breakfast that has my name on it".

squeezebox
10-26-2013, 13:20
Never heard of chia seed before, please describe.

max patch
10-26-2013, 15:15
Chia seed has a couple uses.

First, you can use them to grow hair on any number of clay figurines. Very popular gift item around Christmas.

http://40acresandacubicle.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/chia-obama-2.jpg

Second, chia seeds are now one of hot trendy super foods. I have no opinion as to whether chia seeds should be added to ones diet. However, if you choose to do so I saw a big ole bag of them at Costco for less than $10.

aficion
10-26-2013, 15:20

First, you can use them to grow hair on any number of clay figurines. Very popular gift item around Christmas.

Second, chia seeds are now one of hot trendy super foods. I have no opinion as to whether chia seeds should be added to ones diet. However, if you choose to do so I saw a big ole bag of them at Costco for less than $10.

Now I've lost my appetite. Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Prefer steak and eggs for breakfast but that usually only works the first three nights out. After that grits.

Furlough
10-27-2013, 08:32
The Best Breakfast Ever.
Weasies - Waynesboro Va.

None yet
10-27-2013, 14:15
Thanks all for sharing. Since I won't be lugging the Breville or Vitamix (am a raw vegan) I will start experimenting.

max patch
10-27-2013, 14:49
The Best Breakfast Ever.
Weasies - Waynesboro Va.

I thot Mountain Meadows Lodge was without question the best breakfast I had on my thru. When I hiked the state of VT after my thru I stayed at The Inn on the Long Trail. That would have been my second favorite spot had I stayed there on my thru. Its a shame those 2 places are so close together.

When I passed through Waynesboro I didn't eat at Weasies as the hotel I stayed at had a free breakfast. However, after finishing the SNP I went back to Waynesboro (a friend met me in a car) for the express purpose of eating there as it was one of "the" places to eat. I was disappointed. I had the AYCE pancakes. Hard to get excited over flour, water, egg, and oil. And margarine and syrup.

Just wanted to point out that we are all different. Not being critical of your choice at all.

nickgann
10-27-2013, 20:13
Looks pretty dank man!

Rifleman
10-27-2013, 23:38
Most excellent. Especially liked the sunflower seeds. Putting the oatmeal in a paper lunch bag is a good idea. Of course your going to want to put your day's grub all in a couple of recycled bread bags in case moisture gets inside the pack. Until they get holed they can be re-used umpteen times.
Liked daddytwosticks fried pie, hardboiled egg and coffee also.

Poedog
10-28-2013, 22:53

Oh go on and give 'em a shot, then you'd have a helpful opinion max! Just Bill suggests oatmeal and everybody is all "ooohs" and "aahhs". I suggest a lightweight, energizing, ancient super food (it's only been around since forever) and the usual WB BS comes out. Hoo boy! This place is a hoot.

rocketsocks
10-28-2013, 22:57
well ain't this a glitch.

aficion
10-28-2013, 22:59

Temporary I'm Shoowah!

Train Wreck
10-28-2013, 23:02

Max,
Your logic is flawed. How you gonna get your chia pet through the Smokies?

HikerMom58
10-28-2013, 23:02
Oh go on and give 'em a shot, then you'd have a helpful opinion max! Just Bill suggests oatmeal and everybody is all "ooohs" and "aahhs". I suggest a lightweight, energizing, ancient super food (it's only been around since forever) and the usual WB BS comes out. Hoo boy! This place is a hoot.

I'm interested Poedog... I like ground flax seeds so I would be willing to give chia seeds a shot. I like super food! :)

You don't say..

Temporary I'm Shoowah!

remains to be seen....CHOMP! ;)

daddytwosticks
10-29-2013, 07:25
"...if you like your Chia Pet, you can keep it. Period." :)

aficion
10-29-2013, 07:37
"...if you like your Chia Pet, you can keep it. Period." :)
"What difference does it make now?"http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nFcznwp6Gj4/S6_CDz48sZI/AAAAAAAAALA/vLzCY0FQJV4/s1600/JAN-FEB-MAR+2010+001.jpg

Poedog
10-29-2013, 18:35
meh......................

CarlZ993
10-30-2013, 21:51
The best breakfast is at Mountain Harbour B&B
+1... Yum!

Sheriff Cougar
10-30-2013, 22:33
Great! Thanks for sharing.

FooFighter'12
10-30-2013, 23:45
Thanks for sharing, Just Bill. I'm gonna try it out.

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2013, 00:06

You can't hike a Chia Pet without a muzzle and a LEASH!

I am still holding out for fresh Eggs Benedict on the trail.....

Rasty
10-31-2013, 07:11
Max,
Your logic is flawed. How you gonna get your chia pet through the Smokies?

Declare your Chia pet a seeing eye pet.

rocketsocks
10-31-2013, 07:16
Real Men don't eat Chia

Rasty
10-31-2013, 07:28
Real Men don't eat Chia

Agree........or quiche

hikerboy57
10-31-2013, 07:29
Real Men don't eat Chia

Agree........or quiche I love it when you speak French

rocketsocks
10-31-2013, 07:46
I love it when you speak French

French Chia24686

daddytwosticks
10-31-2013, 16:36
"...we must pass the Chia seeds before we eat them." :)

susiecruise
10-31-2013, 18:26
Well maybe not- you let me know. Full info in the PDF- cliff notes below to let you know what you're opening up.
Calories per ounce- 141 Total calories- 705 Serving size-142.5 grams (five ounces)
Total Volume per serving- about 1.25 cups. Cook time in the field: Hot- 3-7 minutes Cold- 15 min.

Cheese grits (Annie's mac and cheese packet) hot dried peppers, beef jerky and roasted pumkin seeds on top of the grits. By the way, fall cooking on a small oak fire is awesome!!!

Surplusman
11-01-2013, 07:12

Sprinkle sugar on that fried bagel, especially if you split it in two before frying, and make yourself a "trench donut." Tasty.

Tri-Pod Bob
11-01-2013, 07:49
Cheese grits (Annie's mac and cheese packet) hot dried peppers, beef jerky and roasted pumkin seeds on top of the grits. By the way, fall cooking on a small oak fire is awesome!!!

Not a whole lot of grits eaters up here in the nor'east. I happen to love them myself! I'm going to try your little mix of ingredients on my next outing. I usually have block or shredded cheddar available for the 1st cpl of days, so I'll use that instead of the Annie's. Just can't eat the powdered stuff for some reason! Thanks for posting it, susiecruise!! Gonna have to check out the chia seed, too!

Del Q
11-01-2013, 20:29
Apologies, I forgot about the Mountain Harbour Hostel, SICK BREAKFAST

The morning I was there it was FREE............they were cleaning out their fridge, amazing start for the day.......then I hiked SOBO and hit the 1st of the southern balds, amazing start to an amazing day.

The pic I sent earlier in this thread in Damsacus was also fantastic

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2013, 21:36

gritty and nasty... ouch...:eek:

aficion
11-01-2013, 21:49
Ok.. so chia quiche...with cheese grits...on a sugar toasted bagel. I will become an outdoorsman. This place is great. All it needs is a mashed potato dispenser and a climbing wall.

magic_game03
11-01-2013, 22:24
The best breakfast I ever had on a thru-hike was a 4x4 followed up by a 4x4 at Shaw's. Worst breakfast I ever had... pancake challenge in Andover, but it did get my photo on the wall. :banana

susiecruise
11-09-2013, 20:56

My best Oatmeal: oatmeal, peanut butter mixed wih honey (I always mix my peanutbutter with good honey) and dried cherries (that get to cook/soak)

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 21:30
mucket cobbler....suggest Qiwiz - Ti trowel Military shovel not required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LwyLtsoUHQ