PDA

View Full Version : My Trip Out West (Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho and Utah)

chomp
08-17-2005, 11:33
Hey everyone -

Well, I spent just over two weeks out west this year, and I did some traveling!I hiked over 150 miles and still managed to put 2300 miles on my rental car!

I started by flying into Salt Lake City and driving to Wyoming to pick up some friends. I stopped at Fossil Butte National Monument to hut for fossils (I found 4 fish) and then drive to Steamboat Springs. From there, I hiked on the CDT through the Mt Zirkel Wilderness with Blister Sister and Rick (Peregrine, Lord Duke, Gadget, etc..)

For the weekend, I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and hiked the 27 mile CDT loop out of Grand Lake. I added a few side trips for a total of around 36 miles I think. Sunday was amazing - I saw over 50 elk, 6 bighorns, 2 marmots, and 2 moose. Oh, and I got some great views as well. :)

After that, I made my way to Idaho, but took my time. I stopped at the Dinosaur National Monument and camped out for the night at Craters of the Moon National Monument. Both were amazing in their own way, and I was glad that I stopped.

I ended up in Stanley, ID - the Gateway to the Sawtooth Wilderness. I spent 6 days hiking, mountain biking, sightseeing and soaking in natural hot springs.

Anyway, my full journal will be posted at some point inthe future, but I finished off my photos and captions, which is really what most of you are interested in anyway. So, without any more verbage, here are the photos. I broke it down into five easy albums for your viewing pleasure:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-west2005

As always, feel free to leave comments. IDing flowers, lakes and mountains are always appreciated, but really any comments at all are welcome.

chomp

Nearly Normal
08-17-2005, 11:40
Did Craters of the Moon last Oct. Awesome and reccomended for anyone going out that way.
Pete

Spirit Walker
08-17-2005, 11:44
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Mags
08-17-2005, 12:33
Hey everyone -

Well, I spent just over two weeks out west this year, and I did some traveling!I hiked over 150 miles and still managed to put 2300 miles on my rental car!

Nice pics! The MZW looks much easier to navigate than when I went through July 4th weekend. The wildflowers were esp. nice looking!

chomp
08-17-2005, 13:39
Oh yea, I forgot to mention - Thanks, Mags, for the advice on the loop in the RMNP. Sunday was one of the single most amazing days that I have ever spent in the backcountry. I know I got luck to a certain degree, but that loop is just awesome.

We got a ride back to Steamboat from some trail maintainers in the MZW - they said that they got a foot of snow on the first two days of June!

Mags
08-17-2005, 13:52
Oh yea, I forgot to mention - Thanks, Mags, for the advice on the loop in the RMNP. Sunday was one of the single most amazing days that I have ever spent in the backcountry. I know I got luck to a certain degree, but that loop is just awesome.

See you did Hallet's Peak, too. You know it is great day when you can chill by a glacier!

Glad I could help. The Western side of the park is just amazing. It is where you will see much wildlife.