PDA

View Full Version : Recover. No bake power cookie

saltysack
10-15-2013, 17:35
Saw a video with this yummy sounding food but can't seem to find anywhere....anyone??

Poedog
10-15-2013, 21:21
I'm a fan of these, per Mike Clelland:
Home-made no-bake groovy-rific bar recipe

A calorie dense alternative to purchasing expensive store bought bars. Easy to make and delicious.

2 cups spelt flakes (or rolled oats)
1 cup dates (finely chopped)
1 cup almonds
1 cup cashews
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon hazelnut (or almond) extract
1 teaspoon salt

Put almonds, cashews, walnuts and spelt flakes in a food processor. Pulse briefly, until the mix is granular, with minimal chunks. Place this mixture in a big mixing bowl. Add the raisins, cranberries.

In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat. Add brown rice syrup and almond butter. Stir until a smooth consistency, and add the chopped dates. Remove sauce pan from heat and add vanilla extract and hazelnut (or almond) extract into this mixture.

Add the oily mixture into the large mixing bowl and stir the contents with a wooden spoon until it’s completely mixed. Add the tapioca flour and salt and continue mixing with your hands.

Press this mixture into glass baking dishes or cake pans. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens.

Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars into squares.

Put a small amount of tapioca flour in a large plastic bag. Put the squares in the bag with the flour and gently shake, this creates a dusty covering to keep the bars from being too oily or sticky.

DeerPath
10-16-2013, 10:04
Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

NOTE: If you pass this around to your friends, I have but one request - please refer to it as "Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo". Since I run this site anonymously, it's not an ego thing. I just get a kick out of hearing it mentioned on the trail, let's me know I'm contributing to my fellow trekkers. A simple pleasure, perhaps, but I take what I can get. :-) Thanks!

Basic Recipe:
2 parts honey
2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal! I plan to try sweet rice flour soon.)
1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.Single Squeeze Tube Proportions (2-3 lunches w/ large tortillas):
8 tbsp honey
8 tbsp corn flour
4 tbsp peanut butter Per tube:
1320 calories
172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
24g protein
38g fat (That's a high proportion of fat, but what the heck...) BEWARE! Below 40F, Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo becomes impossible to squeeze out! I open the tube from the back and spoon it out when that happens. For snow camping I pack it in wax paper instead, eat it like a candy bar, or pre-pack it into tortillas.
I melted half a Hershey's Bar into mine when I made it. I also used Masa corn flour available in most grocery ethnic food sections.

This is something that would make a great everyday snack at work if the fat content wasn't so high. I am going to try using some lower fat peanut butter on my next batch for everyday use. I would use normal peanut butter on the trail where the extra fat would be needed.

I have also been thinking about adding some instant breakfast powder to the mix to add some vitamins and mineral, extra protein, and chocolate flavor.

Iv'e added Raisins, Craisins, and Chocolate Chips for a different taste. My favorite is cookies: spoonful on a cookie sheet, mash down with a fork and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Because its thick to mix by hand, I used my counter top KitchenAid mixer.
Enjoy