PDA

View Full Version : Hughes Gap to 19E Weather in mid November?

importman77
10-15-2013, 21:32
My wife and I are planning a short trip the weekend of Memorial Day and I was hoping someone could give me some idea of what to expect in that section during that time. I know how unpredictable the weather can be but if I had the benefit of of other's experience it would surely help. Of course I plan to check the weather a day or two ahead of time and if there's something extreme going on I'll shelf it for another time. It's just that we have Memorial day off and if we take the Friday before we can get away and have a couple of leisurely days on the trail.

importman77
10-15-2013, 21:56
Correction; should've said Veterans Day.

The Solemates
10-16-2013, 16:36
could be 70 degrees. could be 25 degrees and snowing. could be 35 degrees and raining sideways. i've experienced all of these conditions in this area at this time of the year. prepare for the worst.

importman77
10-16-2013, 19:13
Thanks soleman. I was kinda figuring it that way. Knowing my luck it'll be one of the latter two. I appreciate your input.

bigcranky
10-16-2013, 20:23
Most of my November hikes have been highs around 50, lows just below freezing, and clear weather. I think that's probably the average, anyway. But I've definitely had both 35 and raining (ick), and highs in the 20s and really cold nights. I'd bring my winter bag, some good rain gear, and expect heavy wind on the open ridgelines.

Venchka
10-16-2013, 22:30
Ray's Weather, Boone, NC page and the next county SW of Boone will have good current information during your trip. GOOGLE will find Ray's Weather.

Wayne

bigcranky
10-17-2013, 07:54
Here's the Ray's weather forecast for the top of Sugar Mountain, which is pretty close to Roan:

http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Sugar+Mountain+Top

Venchka
10-17-2013, 08:27
Saturday-Sunday-Monday lows of: 35-33-32. Drool. Sigh. What I wouldn't give for some of that. He said sweltering for the past 6 months in Houston.
Have fun Y'all! Thanks, bigcranky. Providing links from my phone isn't the easiest thing to do. Ray's Weather is the best resource for the AT along the NC-TN border.

Wayne

importman77
10-18-2013, 12:40
Thanks guys. I bookmarked that weather page. I'll check it frequently from now till time to go. I appreciate it.

Venchka
10-18-2013, 14:36
You may also want to check Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, etc. to see what is headed your way in a day or 2. The weather hitting the the NC High Country now passed through east Texas last weekend.

Wayne

RoyalCannon
10-26-2013, 12:08
My buddies and I will be doing this same section from Nov 1 to Nov 3. How is the water supply through this section? Also I've heard mixed reviews camping at Doll Flats... any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

bigcranky
10-26-2013, 12:59
Doll Flats is a pretty spot. There is a spring which can be a little tricky to find, and I don't have any current info on that spring.

Water at The Barn was running very well two weeks ago. Of course that can change.

Venchka
10-26-2013, 16:14
Update: it was 34 on my deck in East Texas last weekend. The same temperature as forcast for the mountains of NC. What a treat. Didn't last long.
It snowed in Boone, NC day before yesterday-Thursday. The best time of the year is coming!

Wayne

SouthMark
10-28-2013, 08:27
It sowed on Big Bald south of Erwin Friday morning. Low was 21. Sleet, snow and high winds crossing Jane Bald Wednesday. Water was good at Doll Flats and the Barn as well as just about every source along this section.

Tennessee Viking
10-28-2013, 09:05
Expect anything. My in-laws reported of seeing light snow and sleet this past week around Boone.

RoyalCannon
10-29-2013, 14:41
Doll Flats is a pretty spot. There is a spring which can be a little tricky to find, and I don't have any current info on that spring.

Water at The Barn was running very well two weeks ago. Of course that can change.

Sooo... an tips on finding that tricky spring? :)

SouthMark
10-29-2013, 20:41
Got water from that spring last Tuesday. Blue blaze trail is clearly marked downhill on the right SOBO just before entering the meadow. About 150-200 yard trail downhill. Piped spring is on the right and easy to spot. Trail clearly levels out here.

RoyalCannon
10-29-2013, 23:23
Thanks for all the help! I've been watching the weather and it looks like it will be wet on Friday, but I can't wait to get out there!

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-30-2013, 13:57
I have been totally impressed with Ray's Weather for accuracy in terms of micro-climates in the Blue Ridge and adjacent highlands and valleys all along the NC-TN border and up towards and just beyond Mount Rogers, VA. I won't venture afield up that way without many a consult with Ray's before and during.

AO