PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Speed Hike- trip report

Just Bill
10-15-2013, 22:50
Sorry for the delay- In a continued effort to not just yap away like the jackhole I am, I implemented a new policy after our "hiker privacy" discussions this summer. I will no longer post, publish, ect. another hikers name or photo without their permission. Hence the delay in posting this post, I got ahold of the last holdout today so without further ado-

Here's the trip report- enjoy it, or enjoy making fun of me because of it, or enjoy not reading it, or enjoy doing whatever it is you do.24489For you folks in Lurkerville- here's a link to the pdf-https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5onb5Hl3-VQZjZWR05SUzhqMnM/edit?usp=sharing

HikerMom58
10-15-2013, 23:59
I did enjoyed reading it. You got writing talent for sure. THanks for sharing!! Someone on here posted that they met you on the LT. :)

Praha4
10-16-2013, 01:21
Ahoy Just Bill! I just read your trip report and really liked the story. I'm glad we met on the LT, that turkey feather is what told me I was meeting Just Bill on the trail. It's a great story, your humor and writing style are a gift, keep sharing more with us on WB. By the way, I also met Ron Strickland last month on the LT, at Round Top Shelter, with his friend. He gave me one of his cards, and it really was not til I got home and looked him up that I discovered what a trail pioneer I had met at that shelter. I also enjoyed talking with Ron and his friend, and I hope he chooses to come hike on the Florida Trail some day, as I also hope you choose to hike it some day. If you ever get down to the Fla Panhandle, give me a holler, be glad to show you around, the Florida Trail is really nice to hike in the winter time. I may even do another Ocala Nat Forest hike next February. Glad you got home safe from the LT, and your description of the Long Trail was spot on. Great story!

HikerMom58
10-16-2013, 10:01
Ahoy Just Bill! I just read your trip report and really liked the story. I'm glad we met on the LT, that turkey feather is what told me I was meeting Just Bill on the trail. It's a great story, your humor and writing style are a gift, keep sharing more with us on WB. By the way, I also met Ron Strickland last month on the LT, at Round Top Shelter, with his friend. He gave me one of his cards, and it really was not til I got home and looked him up that I discovered what a trail pioneer I had met at that shelter. I also enjoyed talking with Ron and his friend, and I hope he chooses to come hike on the Florida Trail some day, as I also hope you choose to hike it some day. If you ever get down to the Fla Panhandle, give me a holler, be glad to show you around, the Florida Trail is really nice to hike in the winter time. I may even do another Ocala Nat Forest hike next February. Glad you got home safe from the LT, and your description of the Long Trail was spot on. Great story!

Yup.. now I remember it was you Praha4 that met JB. :cool:

Malto
10-16-2013, 12:05
Sounds like an interesting trip. Now that its been a while......Is it Type 2 fun yet?

chilln
10-16-2013, 13:52
Great read thanks for sharing. "I have always admired the people who lived with the land, who lived the lesson that many backpackers come to learn; we live not in towns or houses, but on the planet earth. The Natives of this land we travel were always home, and so was I." I liked this the best.

Just Bill
10-16-2013, 22:43
Florida Mike- Meeting Ron was a treat indeed. I got a feel for who he was, he was name dropping everyone and their brother- not because he's that way but because he personally is involved and knows so many great people. He helped mentor Andrew Skurka on his C2C trip among many others. Great guy, and we've talked a few times since. I picked up his book Pathfinder from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. There are only a handful of National Scenic Trails and he's the founder of one, not to mention many other incredible things.

I highly suggest anyone look into Ron and his books, especially if you like oral history, he has interviewed and published several books on the folks who live in the backwoods we visit. Here's a link to his latest Blog about his LT hike- http://www.ronstrickland.com/rs/Blog/Entries/2013/10/13_The_Long_Trails_Autumn_Colors.html From there you can check out the rest of his site.

Malto- I believe I covered all levels on the Skurka scale on that trip, but thankfully I only dipped into Type 3 fun for short periods. Most of the trip was off the scale in a good way though.

Thanks for reading, thanks for the nice words.

Mags
10-16-2013, 23:17
Thx for sharing. Some seriously good writing.

Just Bill
10-17-2013, 00:11
Takes one to know one fella- thanks.

Engine
10-17-2013, 07:54
Good stuff, thank you for allowing us to share in your experience.

Marta
10-17-2013, 08:02
Yowza! Fall down seven times; pick yourself up eight.

Thanks for sharing the journey.

DandT40
10-19-2013, 20:14
Great story! Couldn't stop reading. Defiantly gives some perspective on the record setters and how amazing it what Kirk and Davis have done. Way to represent Chicago and all us flatlanders! :) You're a hell of a good hiker (and writer).

hobbs
10-19-2013, 20:19
Really good read Just Bill..Keep it up.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-20-2013, 04:08
Nice...really, really nice. For what it's worth, nobody starts out an accomplished writer, and most writers aren't celebrities. I'll buy your book...and Snacktime and I will read it together and be inspired.

Oh...and after reading this I feel like an idiot for suggesting you hike with us slowpokes in Harriman this Jan!

illabelle
10-20-2013, 07:20
Wow, Just Bill, what a good read! My husband and I returned a few days ago from doing a section from VT140 to N Adams. I think we might have seen some of your footprints.:) It was nice to revisit some of the places we saw while reading about them in your trip report.

You have a knack for expressing yourself, and a fresh perspective of things that many of us never even consider. Record breaker or not, I think you have a book in you. Interesting how some people (you're an example) can be loquacious without rambling or repeating themselves. I get the sense that the words just flow out of you effortlessly and spill onto the page in an ordered logical arrangement, and somehow arrive at a point, or two. Nice work!:clap

On another subject, I was reminded by your reference to Lurkerville (my hometown) of your other thread about becoming donating members. I need to go resurrect that thread .... and make a donation.

MuddyWaters
10-20-2013, 19:08
I agree, nice writing. I like it when the author just "talks to you".

Meriadoc
10-22-2013, 22:02
Thanks for writing JB. I needed that boost tonight.

jeffmeh
10-23-2013, 12:59
Very nicely done JB. Cherish the journey.

drifter
10-23-2013, 13:48
Enjoyed very much JB. Thanks for sharing, I just sectioned MA-VT a few weeks ago and your story/pictures bring it all back now that I'm back to work.

jboggg
03-07-2014, 23:17
I have yet to hike my first mile in the woods. Been lurking here for a few weeks trying to learn all I can while I gather my gear and prepare to hike the GA portion of the AT over a couple weekends in April. I had never heard of speed hiking, or for that matter even considered using speed and hiking in the same sentence. I have no idea why I opened this thread, clicked on the link and spent thirty minutes reading this, but I am really glad I did. Nice job Just Bill.

Just Bill
03-09-2014, 13:42
I have yet to hike my first mile in the woods. Been lurking here for a few weeks trying to learn all I can while I gather my gear and prepare to hike the GA portion of the AT over a couple weekends in April. I had never heard of speed hiking, or for that matter even considered using speed and hiking in the same sentence. I have no idea why I opened this thread, clicked on the link and spent thirty minutes reading this, but I am really glad I did. Nice job Just Bill.

Glad you could join us! Flattered you spent your first post on my tale, more importantly- happy to see that first post placed with a kind word of thanks.
Best of luck with your GA hike, hope you find some stories of your own to share.

If you want some more of my yappin-
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101922-Sitting-around-the-fire

Dahoyt
03-09-2014, 15:04
Just read your story, we'll written. You could totally write a book. I'd buy it!