PDA

View Full Version : Put your money where your mouth is

Just Bill
10-15-2013, 23:08
Hello all-
Not sure if you caught the little blurb on the home page- but WhiteBlaze needs a new server. While the fine operator of this site is too kind to solicit donations at any time, let alone when he actually needs them, I have no shame and no problem doing so.

This is a free site, and unlike NPR, you won't get bombarded with membership drives or frequent thread interuptions begging you to buy Yo-Yo- Mah's complete series of special concerts with homeless street musicians just so you can finish watching Nova. Not only that, but it is highly likely you have learned at least one thing that has made your life better or at the very least saved $5.

So kick in a fiver. My yapping and yammering has to have taken up at least four times the server space of your average WB member- so I sent in $20. All you need to send is five. Click on the home tab, and there is a place right there to do it.

I'm a firm believer in putting your money where your mouth is- and most of your mouths are here. Kick a little in the kitty so we can all continue to hear Lone Wolf diligently work to build the self esteem of hikers everywhere.

For all you fine folks in Lurkerville- join up- yes we bite, but if you don't join you can't bite back- and what's the fun in that. Nobody likes to be dinner.

So, while they wouldn't bug you to pony up your dough- I got no shame. Pay up!

Thanks to all for making this a great site- say thankya back by helping to keep it running.

Just Bill

Rasty
10-15-2013, 23:23
Minimum donation is $10

Just Bill
10-15-2013, 23:26
Online, but you can send in a check for any amount- maybe you can go thru-hiker style; split the donation and ask for extra towels. OR just donate $10!

Rasty
10-15-2013, 23:28
Donate $10 and then steal $5 worth of TP from Gator's personal stash!

Just Bill
10-15-2013, 23:36
Now we're talking. Don't forget to use the free washing machine either- 24491

HikerMom58
10-15-2013, 23:43
Ha Ha! LW.. doesn't build the self esteem of any hikers any where. No how, no way! ;) The constant negative stuff about hikers??? .. Good thing most of it isn't true for the majority of AT hikers. If it were true, I'd never hike another day in my life, on the AT, and I'd have NOTHING to do with the hiking community ever again.

Don't forget to mention that if you donate $10.00 you can edit your posts.. that is worth the $, right there.

Just Bill
10-15-2013, 23:48
Lone Wolf is easily one of my favorite people on the site- he's worth $10 alone. But just like PBS- you can get so much more.

HikerMom58
10-15-2013, 23:56
Lone Wolf is easily one of my favorite people on the site- he's worth $10 alone. But just like PBS- you can get so much more.

YuP.... go for it!! I know you "get it"! I love to read ur posts, they are right on & presented in a humorous way too.

Sly
10-16-2013, 00:12
I donated for years. After getting multiple threads killed this season, I am disinclined.

That happens occasionally on a moderated forum. How many times do you see where forum members ask that threads be killed? Plenty, and many others are reported for violating the TOS and then closed.

Rasty
10-16-2013, 00:46
I won't be donating next time. Sorry Attroll

Lone Wolf
10-16-2013, 10:06
Ha Ha! LW.. doesn't build the self esteem of any hikers any where. No how, no way! ;) The constant negative stuff about hikers??? .. Good thing most of it isn't true for the majority of AT hikers. If it were true, I'd never hike another day in my life, on the AT, and I'd have NOTHING to do with the hiking community ever again.

bless your heart

HikerMom58
10-16-2013, 10:23
bless your heart

I knew you would love that! :D Hey- you can't say "Bless your heart" you're not from the south... you're a Yankee, like me! Besides we are in Violet's video together sittin on a bench in Damascus! :cool: Cough cough.. so take JB's advice and cough up some dough for this AT lovin forum. :D

WolfCBP
10-16-2013, 12:15
Decided to go Silver when I saw the need. In the short time I have been here, I have learned quite a bit.

slbirdnerd
10-16-2013, 15:24
I learn a ton here on WB and will be donating when I get home tonight. I suggest everyone who gets on here does the same. I bet most of us can say we have saved money (sometimes a great deal) from what we've learned on WB--time to cough up some of the savings.

FarmerChef
10-16-2013, 15:28
Can we have a "goal" thermometer showing how much more we have to go? :D

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 15:31
I saw this when ATTroll first posted, and immediately went to increase my donation amount. I stopped short though when I became concerned about the annual "re-up" of the donation.

MODERATOR: If I redonate, do you hit me twice a year for the full donation amount or can this be a one-time thing? Explain the details please and I'll be happy to contribute to the new server!

peakbagger
10-16-2013, 16:12
I just made a donation via paypal, it dint give me an option to leave a note with my screen name. I PM attroll.

Meriadoc
10-16-2013, 20:00
Hello all-
Not sure if you caught the little blurb on the home page- but WhiteBlaze needs a new server. While the fine operator of this site is too kind to solicit donations at any time, let alone when he actually needs them, I have no shame and no problem doing so.

. . .

Thanks to all for making this a great site- say thankya back by helping to keep it running.

Just Bill

Thanks for posting, Bill. I missed the notice. Donation complete.

Wise Old Owl
10-16-2013, 20:39
OH I saw this coming... the delays the crashes.. but a server is wide open you can spend $300 or $3000 and the one we have is 7 years or more... Perhaps if Atroll would wheigh in with a little more detail... it might happen and to be honest I too am up for renewal and I also have the alligator bites and a loss of feathers.

Going to take a fearless leader to lead. And Sorry John - you are no leader. You are a policeman-and that isn't a bad thing.... you do it very well.

moose717
10-16-2013, 20:57
I wasn't up for renewal, but donated again anyway. While I may not post a lot, I have learned a ton and when I have questions I usually get them answered. Thanks!

Autummyst
10-17-2013, 01:25
JB, you are hilarious. Thanks for posting this! I'll donate once I get paid tomorrow :) I'm happy to with all the thread digging I've done here.

Engine
10-17-2013, 07:14
Done, money well spent. :-)

OzJacko
10-17-2013, 09:54
Hello all-

This is a free site, and unlike NPR, you won't get bombarded with membership drives or frequent thread interuptions begging you to buy Yo-Yo- Mah's complete series of special concerts with homeless street musicians just so you can finish watching Nova. Not only that, but it is highly likely you have learned at least one thing that has made your life better or at the very least saved $5.

So kick in a fiver. My yapping and yammering has to have taken up at least four times the server space of your average WB member- so I sent in $20. All you need to send is five. Click on the home tab, and there is a place right there to do it.

I'm a firm believer in putting your money where your mouth is- and most of your mouths are here. Kick a little in the kitty so we can all continue to hear Lone Wolf diligently work to build the self esteem of hikers everywhere.

For all you fine folks in Lurkerville- join up- yes we bite, but if you don't join you can't bite back- and what's the fun in that. Nobody likes to be dinner.

Just Bill
I feel like mentioning that the one thing that caused more people to become donating members over the last year than anything else was closed for pi## poor reasons....

Train Wreck
10-17-2013, 10:36
Sorry, I'm not planning on donating a second time around. This site has become a lot less interesting to me personally over the last couple of months.

HikerMom58
10-17-2013, 10:42
Sorry, I'm not planning in donating a second time around. This site has become a lot less interesting to me personally over the last couple of months.

I agree but you gotta admit it was fun while it lasted!! TW.. you are the best when it comes to humor. Ur posting skills are amazing!! :D Thanks for all the laughs!!

CarlZ993
10-17-2013, 10:50
I donated. I visit two blogs almost daily. Whiteblaze & one about investing & personal finance - http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php. Obviously, I don't visit either when I'm hiking. :)

Alligator
10-17-2013, 10:57
I saw this when ATTroll first posted, and immediately went to increase my donation amount. I stopped short though when I became concerned about the annual "re-up" of the donation.

MODERATOR: If I redonate, do you hit me twice a year for the full donation amount or can this be a one-time thing? Explain the details please and I'll be happy to contribute to the new server!Donation periods simply expire, there is absolutely no automatic subscription. If you donate at the same level, your subscription period is extended a year beyond the original expiration. If you move up a level, it does not extend, the software does not handle the change and simply gives a year. If you have moved up a donation level, shoot me a PM or ATTroll a PM and we can extend your new level for the time left on your previous one.

Alligator
10-17-2013, 11:05
I feel like mentioning that the one thing that caused more people to become donating members over the last year than anything else was closed for pi## poor reasons....No it was moved here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php?groupid=30). Up, running, and apparently talking about toast and jelly. Sorry we are not going to keep going round and round about the move.

Austin 2014
10-17-2013, 12:37
Just donated. This site has been SO helpful! My male hiking buddies are now oooing and ahhhhing over my gear choices and camping tricks.

Crusinsusan
10-17-2013, 20:34
Well, I may never actually do a thru, but I've done day hikes on the AT, and before I ever did that, I learned so very, VERY much here that I was inspired to think about a thru, and got to be a gear-head (might be selling some of that!). So I'm going to send a check (I don't trust paypal - shortly after I signed up there, my cc information was stolen, so a check it is!)

I've decided to pay for what I've already received for free: information from the public that came about because atroll et al built this site.

Rasty
10-17-2013, 20:41
No it was moved here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php?groupid=30). Up, running, and apparently talking about toast and jelly. Sorry we are not going to keep going round and round about the move.

You forgot to mention the peanut butter thread and the all important Jambalaya thread.

Crusinsusan
10-17-2013, 20:48
Oh, and I think the "thermometer" idea is important. I mean really atroll, gotta show us what you want and how we're doin'! I'm a NPR fan and have donated there and knowing how it's going is good.

Maybe you can set up something separate even... one for regular donations and one for the goal of a new server.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-17-2013, 21:00
Donation periods simply expire, there is absolutely no automatic subscription. If you donate at the same level, your subscription period is extended a year beyond the original expiration. If you move up a level, it does not extend, the software does not handle the change and simply gives a year. If you have moved up a donation level, shoot me a PM or ATTroll a PM and we can extend your new level for the time left on your previous one.

I just donated again.....but don't worry about extension since I didn't change levels. Thanks for the info though....I thought it was an auto renewal.

Poedog
10-17-2013, 21:11
Haven't learned much on here, but I've definitely gotten my $25 worth of laughs.

Rasty
10-17-2013, 21:21
Haven't learned much on here, but I've definitely gotten my $25 worth of laughs.

Eggzactly! If whiteblaze was a "very serious" hiking forum it would get 10 posts per day. It's successful in part because of the mixture of good information, idiotic behavior and friendships that develop. Take away one part and it's boring.

illabelle
10-20-2013, 07:29
Just Bill

Lurkerville? Way to point the finger at somebody, JB. ;)
Alrighty then! Made my donation via paypal.
Now I gotta go hunt for the perfect avatar...

geomaniac
10-20-2013, 07:58
Decided to go Silver when I saw the need. In the short time I have been here, I have learned quite a bit.Yep, Me Too.. I have learned a lot here...and when I saw the need, I paid up.

dlwills
10-20-2013, 10:08
Bumping the thread... donated

bdetamore
10-20-2013, 14:08
Done. Thanks for keeping this valuable resource alive. I have learned a lot and even laughed a little on this site. Thanks to all who contribute by posting, moderating, and maintaining.

See you on the trail.

lynn523
11-09-2013, 16:23
Bumping the thread again, donating now, and adding a little sunshine HikerMom style. :sun

Normally, I can't play with the emoticons b/c I login from my WB ipad app. Maybe enough donations will get a server and an app upgrade.:banana

10-K
11-10-2013, 08:26
I donated. I visit two blogs almost daily. Whiteblaze & one about investing & personal finance - http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php. Obviously, I don't visit either when I'm hiking. :)

Carl, I've been on the bogleheads forum since it was hosted on Morningstar. :)

10-K
11-10-2013, 08:27
Would be interesting to know if ATTroll has looked into Amazon or Rackspace cloud services rather than getting a stand-alone server.

HikerMom58
11-10-2013, 09:54
Bumping the thread again, donating now, and adding a little sunshine HikerMom style. :sun

Normally, I can't play with the emoticons b/c I login from my WB ipad app. Maybe enough donations will get a server and an app upgrade.:banana

Aww... that's sweet lynn523. Right back at you..:sun Since you are a donating member you can have a personalized avatar OR you can keep the one you have OR not have any avatar. :D I do love being a donating member. I like the options available when you donate plus I feel good about giving back for the good things that I have received.

CarlZ993
11-10-2013, 12:50
Carl, I've been on the bogleheads forum since it was hosted on Morningstar. :)
Me too. Great financial forum. Nice to know that there are fellow bogleheads on this forum as well. :)

Siarl
11-18-2013, 20:34
I'm originally from the Virginia Appalachians (Galax) so I'll say 'Bless your lil' ol' heart'. I agree with Just Bill. I just donated as well. This is a fantastic service. There is a mountain of information here for those that need it. You can't even by a book on the AT for less than what you can donate.

Just Bill
08-24-2016, 14:01
Well, finally got around to getting my nifty "I donated" banner replaced... figured I'd bump this thread and share the interesting news with everyone who may have also let their donation lapse and desperately misses their donating member status.

Sarcasm the elf
08-24-2016, 14:18
Well, finally got around to getting my nifty "I donated" banner replaced... figured I'd bump this thread and share the interesting news with everyone who may have also let their donation lapse and desperately misses their donating member status.

No need to remind me. At least once a week I post something to the site that is either so poorly worded or so full of typos that it requires heavy editing. If I see that the "edit post" button is missing then I know it's time to donate again. ;)

Just Bill
08-24-2016, 14:34
No need to remind me. At least once a week I post something to the site that is either so poorly worded or so full of typos that it requires heavy editing. If I see that the "edit post" button is missing then I know it's time to donate again. ;)

That sounds accurately familiar.

lemon b
08-30-2016, 02:51
Right on Bill. Who hasn't got their moneys worth ?

couscous
08-31-2016, 21:17

Where's your Olympic spirit? Go for the gold! :)

Sarcasm the elf
09-05-2016, 21:11

Dang, just happened to me again. :D