PDA

View Full Version : 6'5" need light 10-20 degree suggestion

WolfCBP
10-16-2013, 05:58
I am seeking recommendations from the other big/tall people here. My 0 rated is way too heavy for anything other than winter city/car camping and my ultra light 40 won't work for the colder nights on the trail. (MEGA) I figure down is the best option for pack weight, but I also need to sleep without feeling like I am rolled up in an enchilada. So, there it is. Any recommendations? (Thanks in advance)

blackwater slim
10-16-2013, 06:23
I have the LLBean Ultralight 30 degree (they now list it as 35 so I don't know if it changed) and with clothing have slept through several nights in lower 20's ok but I, also, would like a 10-20 degree bag. Its roomy and just over 2lbs and packs small, I'm 6'5" and 200 lbs. For the east/southeast down scares me for the wetness factor on down. I've been looking at the sierra designs zissou dri down bags. I'm interested to see other suggestions myself.

WolfCBP
10-16-2013, 07:44
Appreciate it Slim. So far I have been fortunate with rain and sleeping bags. Never had an issue.....yet. Hopefully someone can toss up a good 10-20 for us.

Schnitzel
10-16-2013, 07:59
My husband is 6'6" - he is in love with his Sierra Designs Zissou Dridown bag - it's not heavy, and he has enough room in it where he doesn't feel cramped - he actually takes it when we go car camping and weight is not an issue, because of how comfy it is for him.

Starvin Marvin
10-16-2013, 09:43
Any recommendations? (Thanks in advance)

For great warmth to weight ratio, I recommend Western Mountaineering. I have the (20df) Alpinlite, which is the wide version of the (20df) Ultralite, and my gf has the (10df) Versalite. Weve used these bags down to below their ratings, and they were warm.

The Solemates
10-16-2013, 16:32
6'5" does not merit a special bag. you can buy most any bag these days in a long length, which usually accomodate a 6'6" person. pick a bag you like and buy the long version.

Coffee
10-16-2013, 17:25
I'm pretty sure my Marmot Helium long would fit someone 6'5" on the larger side quite well. For me at 6'1" and skinny not so much...

DavidNH
10-16-2013, 21:42
check out www.featheredfriends.com. Their bags are pricey but of great quality.

Dogwood
10-16-2013, 22:30
If your priorities are finished wt, highest quality materials and workmanship, durability, compressability, accurate temp ratings, AND the ability to tweak length, shoulder, and foot girth as well as zip side in a conventional sleeping bag indeed check out Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. AND, before you complain about price know that with both companies you're getting a top quality bag capable of a long life, many cozy night's rest, and the satisfaction and level of customer service backed by companies that specialize in outstanding high end sleeping bags.

Just Bill
10-16-2013, 22:48
If you're up for a quilt- down or synthetic. Comes in Small, Medium, and Large. Slim, regular, large. 10, 20, or 30 degree. Overstuff or not. Custom options too. Can't beat Tim- http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelation-20/

Bit pricier, but still very customizable-
http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

WolfCBP
10-17-2013, 06:08
Thanks for the suggestions. Price is no concern for me. Not being claustrophobic in a bag is. Chest and shoulders end up being tight in nearly all bags I try. I will check out the suggestions and again, I appreciate it.

aficion
10-17-2013, 06:13
I am seeking recommendations from the other big/tall people here. My 0 rated is way too heavy for anything other than winter city/car camping and my ultra light 40 won't work for the colder nights on the trail. (MEGA) I figure down is the best option for pack weight, but I also need to sleep without feeling like I am rolled up in an enchilada. So, there it is. Any recommendations? (Thanks in advance)

Skurka used an MLD quilt in those temperature ranges. Their 28 in an extra large should work and if not, they do custom work too. Very light, synthetic so moisture is less of an issue than with down, and very reasonably priced.

Seabird
10-19-2013, 19:11
My husband is 6'6" - he is in love with his Sierra Designs Zissou Dridown bag - it's not heavy, and he has enough room in it where he doesn't feel cramped - he actually takes it when we go car camping and weight is not an issue, because of how comfy it is for him.

My 6'3" boyfriend has the same sleeping bag and loves it, too- almost every other one he checked out was too tight around the shoulders.

slow mind
10-19-2013, 19:14
I am now using a Marmot Sawtooth 15 deg. Xtra long Xtra wide. LOTS of room for a guy your size.

grateful 2
10-19-2013, 20:46
Montbell super stretch spiral