PDA

View Full Version : New Store in Hanover

Jack Tarlin
08-17-2005, 13:22
Hikers might wish to know that a new outdoors store has opened this week in Hanover. It's called Zimmerman's North Face Store. It is not a full-service outfitter; it's concentrating on clothing and accessories made by TNF, but I've talked to one of their employees and they hope, in time, to stock a small selection of items useful to hikers, especialy A.T. hikers.....such things as socks, laces, water treatment stuff, repair kits, different fuels, etc. (In the meantime, it's still very easy to catch the shuttle bus to near-by West Lebanon, where there's an Eastern Mountain Sports and an L.L.Bean in the same place, the Powerhouse Mall). The good thing about this new store in town is that it may prove helpful to folks who need a clothing upgrade before hitting the White Mountains.

There is also a small but very friendly sporting goods store on Allen Street, just down from Everything But Anchovies Restaurant; this store is called Omer and Bob's, and while it speacializes in ski and bike stuff, it has clothing accessories (hats, gloves, etc.) and footwear. Between Omer's and TNF store, hikers might find what they need and save themselves the bus trip to West Lebanon.

In addition, there may well be a new Orvis Outdoor store in Hanover by next year's hiking season, but this will mostly be devoted to fishing.

The North Face store is located at 63 South Main Street just down from the Nugget Theater, on the corner across from the Foodstop Convenience store.

TakeABreak
08-17-2005, 20:27
Hey Jack, is the old store still there, the one that was kinda across from the post office, they carried what little I needed in 01.

lilmountaingirl
08-18-2005, 01:40
Dagnabbit ~ I had lunch at Ramunto's when I came back from the Whites a few weeks ago. How'd I miss TNF store? It's gotta be right next to it, no?

NoKnees
08-18-2005, 03:01
Hi jack,

I s the Co-op still there? As a dartmouth Alum I will miss them if they are gone. They used to have an outdoor section when I left in 99. (wow that seems like a long time ago now)

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2005, 12:25
The Co-op no longer sells outdoor gear. (Note: I'm referring to the Dartmouth Co-op on Main Street, which is not to be confused with the Co-Op Grocery store). The North Face store is on the other side of the street from Ramunto's, and it wasn't open two weeks ago so that's probably how you missed it.

icemanat95
08-18-2005, 12:51
Yeah, the Co-op is a shadow of what it used to be. just some souvenir type clothing, etc.

The Solemates
08-18-2005, 14:46
leave it to Yuppieville USA to have a TNF-only store.

TakeABreak
08-18-2005, 18:09
Jack, I want to thank you personally, for taking the initiative in asking TNF store, to carrying the basic hiker essentials(various fuels and such), personally all I needed was a fuel canister and iodine tablets from the outfitter, when I got to Hanover. I know there are a lot of current and future hikers out there who will get to Hanover and need just the basics like fuel, who will be thankful, that someone (Jack Tarlin) took the initiative to ask TNF to carry the basics.

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2005, 14:51
I just got back from a few weeks in Maine, and in my absence, yet another new store has opened Hanover. This one is called Hanover Outdoors, and is located directly on the Trail on Lebanon Street, just down the street from Ben and Jerry's.

Unfortunately, it is not a complete outfitters's, but seems devoted to Connecticut-style outdoorsy stuff, the sort of clothing one sees in L.L. Bean.

However, hikers needing warm-weather upgrades here could most likely find fleeces or raingear that'll work, thus saving a time-consuming trip to West Lebanon where the real outfitters are located.

They also have such things as knives, watches, GPS devices, and other accessories. And if you plan to fish while in Maine, the whole basement is devoted to high-end fishing gear and apparel; I know absolutely nothing about sport-fishing, but a friend who is very knowledgable about such matters, tells me that the stuff they carry, tho somewhat prices, is top notch.

In short, there's not much here for long-distance hikers, but since it's right on the Trail, folks will probably want to check it out when they're going thru town.