PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest Neo Air Warranty....

colorado_rob
10-16-2013, 13:49
I bought my first Neo Air 4-5 years ago, the original model, worked great for that 4-5 years but recently developed a slow leak that I just plain could not find; I tries the bathtub technique extensively. So, I went to the Cascade Designs website and put in for a warranty repair. They gave me a warranty number and a mailing address, and I sent it in for about $5 PO shipping... Voila! a week later I have a Brand New Neo Air Xlite sitting on my doorstep. The new, lighter, more insulating model. That's pretty darn good customer service I'd say. Just posting this in case anyone else has a non-repairable leak in their Thermarest air mattress.

Starchild
10-16-2013, 14:19
I had a somewhat OK experience with them on my thru, they replaced a sleeping bag that was defective, but they didn't appreciate the need to have it replaced promptly. I notified them in Lincoln NH, they got back to me at Crawford Notch. They shipped a useless bag to me in Rangely ME, shipped the correct bag in Monson ME, so late that I just mailed it home and took the defective one to Katahdin.

At least this way I now have a new bag without the thru hiker funk on it. Luckily I was able to still use the defective one, but really from Lincoln NH to at the earliest Rangely ME is not acceptable service for a thru hiker.

fins1838
10-16-2013, 14:25
Thanks. I have the same problem with my wifes pad. Just can't find the darn leak. Even tried a phnumatic (sic) air-listening gun with headphones (for hearing air leaks) with no luck. Think I'll give your way a try.

QHShowoman
10-16-2013, 15:03
Luckily I was able to still use the defective one, but really from Lincoln NH to at the earliest Rangely ME is not acceptable service for a thru hiker.

Well, what it that in terms of days? Assuming it's about 10 days, that seems like a fair turnaround time for a replacement order ... just because you're on the trail doesn't mean that you're guaranteed expedited service. It's awesome when it happens like that, but it shouldn't be an expectation that you get your replacement any sooner than anyone else, right?

Starchild
10-16-2013, 15:14
Well, what it that in terms of days? Assuming it's about 10 days, that seems like a fair turnaround time for a replacement order ... just because you're on the trail doesn't mean that you're guaranteed expedited service. It's awesome when it happens like that, but it shouldn't be an expectation that you get your replacement any sooner than anyone else, right?

I disagree as I received a email at N. Conway (Crawford notch), with a note sorry for the long time for us to respond. They admitted that they took too long.

It took them 5 days to respond at all
It took them 13 days to get me the wrong product (5+13 = 18 days total since first contacting them)
(now this could have been the end of it, if they sent the right product, but still way too long)
It took a additional 7 days to get me the right product (18+7 = 25 days since first contacting them)

Sorry not acceptable. Perhaps if this was a toothbrush issue, but for a company that manufactures backpacking equipment, come on.

QHShowoman
10-16-2013, 15:16
Fair enough. 10 days would be acceptable, 25 days is not. Not even for Joe Schmo sitting on his butt at home.

Starchild
10-16-2013, 16:13
just because you're on the trail doesn't mean that you're guaranteed expedited service.

I also have to strongly disagree with this also because they are a company that manufactures and sells backpacking equipment, they should understand the need as part of their business model for such things as a thru hike if they want to be in that market.

I also want to strongly disagree that thru hikers should not expect special privileges, as it is even encoded in legal terms that they are entitled to them, such as the smokies allowed to tent and not make reservations, Wanesboro VA allowed to camp in the city park when no one else is etc.