PDA

View Full Version : Mulitpurpose Nalgene

Mags
08-17-2005, 13:27
Every year PCTers (and to a lesser extent CDTers)
wonder about bumping into illegals along the trail.

Or maybe you just want to strike up a conversation
with the locals who may speak Spanish as
their primary language?

If you hike parts of the CDT, you will often see
sheep herders in the backcountry who only speak
Spanish (saw one on the CT/CDT near Searles Pass
last year).

If you are like most gringos, your command
of Spanish is rudimentary at best [1].

The solution?

Why a Nalgene with handy, dandy Spanish phrases! :)

http://www.bottlesintranslation.com/

Made right here in the People's Republic of Boulder,
CO.

OK...I would never use a $15 water bottle, but hey, I
thought it was pretty clever. A nice conversation
piece! (groan...)

Mags

[1] I am further handicapped that when I do try
to use Spanish words, I tend to say it
like a person tring to speak bad Italian with
an equally bad northeastern accent. What I did to the
small So. Cal. town names was atrocious! ;)

Footslogger
08-17-2005, 13:40
Let's see ...I'll take one in purple with German on it

'Slogger

tlbj6142
08-17-2005, 15:01
If you are planning travels to any Spanish speaking area, and you don't want to stand out as a tourist, be smart; be in style, get a Bottle in Translation!Won't holding a Nalgene be a dead give away? I doubt too many folks outside of white yuppie hang-outs carry Nalgene bottles around.

Mags
08-17-2005, 16:25
Won't holding a Nalgene be a dead give away? I doubt too many folks outside of white yuppie hang-outs carry Nalgene bottles around.

Perhaps in the chemical labs...the original purpose for Nalgene bottles? :)

Newb
08-17-2005, 16:42
I'll just carry a bottle of Tequila and let it do my spanish talking for me :cool:

MisterSweetie
08-17-2005, 17:44
Perhaps in the chemical labs...the original purpose for Nalgene bottles? :)
:) Yes indeed, I have a whole bunch of different Nalgene products here that have nothing to do with drinking. :)

I'm a sucker for Nalgene's printed with stuff other than the Nalgene logo. So thanks for sharing this!

Frosty
08-17-2005, 20:33
OK...I would never use a $15 water bottle, And you won't buy this one for $15 either. It's $19 with the $4 shipping charge :)

fiddlehead
08-17-2005, 23:05
Wow, you could get about 19 better (lighter weight & easier to get water from a trickle) bottles for that much money and even get a bonus of cola or orange drink in them. (And no shipping charges)

Mags
08-18-2005, 12:29
And you won't buy this one for $15 either. It's $19 with the $4 shipping charge :)

Good point! Very good point! :D

OK, I must confess to buying one yesteday (less expensive in the stores, $12 with tax included!). It goes again my cheapness..er frugalness.. :)

A friend of mine is is more or less pamerping me after Leadville (god knows I'll need it!).

She is currently earning her PhD in education with a focus more or less on Latino students. Purple is her absolute favorite color and she likes her water bottles. Though she is fluent in Spanish and does not need the bottle to translate, it seemed like an appropriate thank you.

So I broke down and bought a bottle.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. ;)

Mags
08-18-2005, 12:41
Wow, you could get about 19 better (lighter weight & easier to get water from a trickle) bottles for that much money and even get a bonus of cola or orange drink in them. (And no shipping charges)

A local magazine did an article on the Nalgene craze.

So the reporter asked for opinions and stories about these bottles on a local trail runner list.

I gave my usual sarcastic reply. Said how I used to use heavy, expensive Nalgene bottles..but now I use lighter, less expensive Gatorade bottles that comes with a drink to boot! The reporter also wanted a story..so I said how the bottle fell down a slope in the Sierra and I carried it to Manning Park. :)

Much to my chagrin they actually used my quote in the article. Did not know until 2 mos or so later someone asked me "Hey..is that the infamous Gatorade bottle". My friend then told me about the article.

My story was the last one in the article.

The article title was "IT IS JUST A WATER BOTTLE"

:)

Bob Baker
08-18-2005, 22:20
Like Mags said nalgenes are heavy and you can save about a pound by using gatorade bottles (based on using two bottles) or if you like, platypus bladders. Also, you could carry a pocket dictionary with many more phrases for less weight.

fiddlehead
08-18-2005, 22:27
Yeah, Mags, i remember my friend "Lazee" (who now runs the Eckville shelter) throwing his Pepsi bottle around all the time and finished the whole AT with the same 2 litre Pepsi bottle and often throwing it up in the air full. I was convinced and haven't gone back to the Nalgene since.
Good luck tomorrow in the race. I'll be thinkin of all you runners out there especially after dark.

Mags
08-22-2005, 14:05
Yeah, Mags, i remember my friend "Lazee" (who now runs the Eckville shelter) throwing his Pepsi bottle around all the time and finished the whole AT with the same 2 litre Pepsi bottle and often throwing it up in the air full. I was convinced and haven't gone back to the Nalgene since.
Good luck tomorrow in the race. I'll be thinkin of all you runners out there especially after dark.

It was not my day, alas...

Twisted my ankle in mile 5 (someone stumbled, caused me to stumble)..and it bit me in the *ss later.

Long story short, did ~72 miles before my body said "no mas!" (just pass half-moon campgound). I was starting to get woozy and almost felt like I blacking out. Figure it was a good time to throw in the towel..

I *think* I would have made the aid station cut-off for mile 80, but it would have been dicey past that. They almost yanked me at Twin Lakes..I had lost 7 lbs in 22 hrs. :O Ate like a pig, drank lots of water. It was the second time over Hope Pass that did it for me. Aye carumba! :)

Oh well..for my 1st attempt at a 100 miler, guess it did not turn out too bad. Only my first year doing the ultra thing. Just have to ake the lessons and do better next time!

Today, I am hobbling a bit..but well on my way to recovery.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Tha Wookie
08-22-2005, 14:18
If you run into illegals on the PCT or CDT in the desert, the LAST thing you would want to do is depend on your water bottle for communication.

You would be looking at your sweating bottle, then back at them, then back at the bottle... speaking broken Spanish at best... I don't see that as a desirable situation!

Hay mucho sed! :jump

Mags
08-22-2005, 14:29
If you run into illegals on the PCT or CDT in the desert, the LAST thing you would want to do is depend on your water bottle for communication.

You would be looking at your sweating bottle, then back at them, then back at the bottle... speaking broken Spanish at best... I don't see that as a desirable situation!

Hay mucho sed! :jump

It's a joke Wook. :)

Please don't take me seriously. No one else does. ;)

fiddlehead
08-22-2005, 22:58
It was not my day, alas...

Twisted my ankle in mile 5 (someone stumbled, caused me to stumble)..and it bit me in the *ss later.

Long story short, did ~72 miles before my body said "no mas!" (just pass half-moon campgound). I was starting to get woozy and almost felt like I blacking out. Figure it was a good time to throw in the towel..

I *think* I would have made the aid station cut-off for mile 80, but it would have been dicey past that. They almost yanked me at Twin Lakes..I had lost 7 lbs in 22 hrs. :O Ate like a pig, drank lots of water. It was the second time over Hope Pass that did it for me. Aye carumba! :)

Oh well..for my 1st attempt at a 100 miler, guess it did not turn out too bad. Only my first year doing the ultra thing. Just have to ake the lessons and do better next time!

Today, I am hobbling a bit..but well on my way to recovery.

Thanks for the good wishes!
yeah, the 2nd time over Hope is usually a tough part. You know, that (hope pass) is often considered the steepest climb on the entire CDT! And you must do it twice to complete Leadville. I heard a new record was set this year. Good try, perhaps next year?