PDA

View Full Version : Thanks!!!!!

Dr Gadget
10-16-2013, 15:31
I want to give a ginormous humungous loud shout out to the poster formally known as hikermom. Not only did she show me some sweet southern hospitality but, she is currently bailing me out of some serious hot water!!!!!
Thanks!:banana

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 15:32
She's the best! Are you hanging out at her place with Buddy and family?

Deer Hunter
10-16-2013, 16:01
I want to give a ginormous humungous loud shout out to the poster formally known as hikermom. Not only did she show me some sweet southern hospitality but, she is currently bailing me out of some serious hot water!!!!!
Thanks!:banana

I wouldn't expect anything less from her. Good woman. :)

Studlintsean
10-16-2013, 17:08
While we are at it, huge thanks to Deer Hunter for bailing us out this weekend also.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 17:55
What happened that you guys had to be "bailed out"?

Dr Gadget
10-16-2013, 19:16
First she picked me up last night a drove around and kept me company while I had dinner. Then this afternoon when I realized, after 1.5 hours of hiking, that I had lost some important equipment, she retrieved it and drove to me! If not for her I would have had to spent another night in town! Yes, truly a generous and exceptional kind person!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 19:20
Yep, that's MOM

Wise Old Owl
10-16-2013, 20:32
I cant imagine why anyone would have a issue - she is priceless and won me over.

hikerboy57
10-16-2013, 20:46
I cant imagine why anyone would have a issue - she is priceless and won me over.who said they had an issue?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 21:26
Seriously?

I vowed a long time ago not to get involved in the social drama that can be so prevalent in the threads, but that doesn't mean I don't see it. HikerMom has been subject to WAY TOO MANY personal attacks for you to not have noticed. Those who have chosen to pounce at her first utterances with derisive remarks and obvious contempt must have an issue...or why do it? She doesn't attack, she doesn't instigate. All I have ever seen was her trying to keep a positive spin on any and all subjects for the sake of making others feel welcome and encouraged. Naive? Maybe, but the intent has always been genuine. She hasn't deserved what she's gotten in return for her effort.

Yeah, some have issues....and apparently so do I, but mine are in her favor.

Deer Hunter
10-16-2013, 21:26
who said they had an issue?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86369-hikerboys-cyber-cafe/page2069

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 21:43
And in the interest of defusing a potentially....oh hell, an actually....tense situation, I refer to a brilliant quotation of OC Dave from the REI Return Policy thread:

Xalex,

You know not what you have unleashed. Somewhat akin to "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!"

Good Luck and God bless your soul.

Who would ever have thought that our HikerMom would become a topic as controversial and heated as trail magic, gear returns and thruhiker entitlement?

hikerboy57
10-16-2013, 22:07
there is a disconnect sometimes with what gets posted on line and what happens in real life.shmaybix has avoided drama.thats a good thing, for her, as well as some of us. hikermom did not.both shmaybix and hikermom know i love them. it bothers me sometimes that shmaybix hasnt posted in the meeting place, because she chooses to avoid confrontation, and, really, its healthy for her and i understand.karen is a pure soul.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-16-2013, 22:11
As you've said before....if we could all get along online as well as we will likely do in person, WB would be a happier place. (maybe I paraphrase :))

HikerMom58
10-16-2013, 22:51
there is a disconnect sometimes with what gets posted on line and what happens in real life.shmaybix has avoided drama.thats a good thing, for her, as well as some of us. hikermom did not.both shmaybix and hikermom know i love them. it bothers me sometimes that shmaybix hasnt posted in the meeting place, because she chooses to avoid confrontation, and, really, its healthy for her and i understand.karen is a pure soul.

I have an opinion on everything like everyone else. I expressed my opinions freely. I feel strongly about certain things- that's who I am. I tried not to hurt anyone when I expressed my opinions. I respect everyone's opinion and I expect the same in return.

HB... don't be bothered by me not posting in the meeting place. It's just random where I end up. ;) I like the Owl Shelter, it's a good fit for me.. one group is enough! :)

I thought if I changed my name, I could blend in more on the site & also I'm much more cautious about my posting. This grasshopper has learned many lessons the hard way!! :D

I know not everyone likes me & that's Ok. I love y'all!!

Thank you for all the kind words... thanks for the public thanks Dr. G. It was my pleasure to meet you! I like meeting and helping out other people that share the same interest as I do... we share the same passion in hiking the AT. It's natural to want to "hang out" with other that share the same interest.

Again, I thank all of you for your kind words. :) Right back at ya!! ;)

Just Bill
10-17-2013, 00:49
ohhh I get it now. That explains some things.

Another Kevin
10-18-2013, 08:11

I'm always puzzled when people that I like and respect can't get along with each other. I'm always hurt when they demand that I choose between them. How do I choose? I shake my head sadly and hike with the slower one, because I can't keep up with the faster.

Hang in there, shmaybix!

Robin2013AT
10-18-2013, 08:47
When I was preparing to thru last year everyone would ask me what I was most afraid of. My biggest fear was the AT would be full of people as mean as they are on Whiteblaze where I often went for research. Since at that time I thought most of you had actually thruhiked I worried that the AT trail community was like this too. It almost changed my mind altogether. I had no desire to be beaten down for 6 months. Well as I know now the trail is actually full of kind, helpful and wonderful people and frankly those of you WB bigwigs that I have met along the way North are really just big pussycats in person. HikerMom always was the voice of reason in a sea of egodriven commentary.

HikerMom notified me of the norovirus outbreak between Erwin and Hot Springs just as I was preparing to enter that section on the trail. You all though she was an alarmist but I was washing my hands and keeping an eye out for trouble. Very soon what seemed like 100s of people were puking everywhere around me and you were all still telling her she overreacted. I did not get the dreaded noro and still attribute the tip off the reason why.

Back off and be kind. You're scaring people who are really just looking for good information. HikerMom I love you girl.

OzJacko
10-18-2013, 09:41
When I was preparing to thru last year everyone would ask me what I was most afraid of. My biggest fear was the AT would be full of people as mean as they are on Whiteblaze where I often went for research. Since at that time I thought most of you had actually thruhiked I worried that the AT trail community was like this too. It almost changed my mind altogether. I had no desire to be beaten down for 6 months. Well as I know now the trail is actually full of kind, helpful and wonderful people and frankly those of you WB bigwigs that I have met along the way North are really just big pussycats in person. HikerMom always was the voice of reason in a sea of egodriven commentary.

HikerMom notified me of the norovirus outbreak between Erwin and Hot Springs just as I was preparing to enter that section on the trail. You all though she was an alarmist but I was washing my hands and keeping an eye out for trouble. Very soon what seemed like 100s of people were puking everywhere around me and you were all still telling her she overreacted. I did not get the dreaded noro and still attribute the tip off the reason why.

Back off and be kind. You're scaring people who are really just looking for good information. HikerMom I love you girl.
+1..............

Namtrag
10-18-2013, 10:19
I feel fortunate that I am clueless about any of this thread! I must not have gone to the areas where people were having problems.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 11:06
I'm always puzzled when people that I like and respect can't get along with each other. I'm always hurt when they demand that I choose between them. How do I choose? I shake my head sadly and hike with the slower one, because I can't keep up with the faster.

Hang in there, shmaybix!

Uhhh-mazing, AK. Choosing?? I'm so glad I don't know who "they" are! :D This is high school revisited for sure.

I will be very clear and tell you that I am more than willing to "make things right" between myself and any member on this site. If I have done anything to insult or hurt anyone, I want to know about it. I will do my part to "clear the air". I have done everything I know to do... you have to believe me, AK.

Illabelle told me that some people just don't like someone & they don't know why, themselves. I don't like some people either but I have strong reasons why I don't. Sometimes, it's just a personality clash.
Even if I don't like someone, I try my best to concentrate on the things I do like about them, if I find myself interacting with them on a regular basis.

Robin thanks for your post. I love you too, girl! Thanks OZ! :>)

Namtrag, be happy you are clueless, like you said. This site is for info mainly, BUT extroverts and "people persons" like to connect with other members, laugh a lot and form friendships. Sometimes those friendships go south. Remain clueless..it's all good! :D

If you are interested in getting to know other members better, Namtrag.... check out the GROUPS!

PS.. I like ur new avatar. :cool:

illabelle
10-18-2013, 12:55
Illabelle told me that some people just don't like someone & they don't know why, themselves.

Pretty sure I don't have any great insight here. I hope I was able to give you a little peace about things, HM. Life is too short to fix every problem and answer every question and right every wrong, especially if others who are involved are unable or unready or unwilling to cooperate with your efforts. Sometimes we just have to let things go, move on to other important things, and let others work through things their own way and at their own pace.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 16:43
Pretty sure I don't have any great insight here. I hope I was able to give you a little peace about things, HM. Life is too short to fix every problem and answer every question and right every wrong, especially if others who are involved are unable or unready or unwilling to cooperate with your efforts. Sometimes we just have to let things go, move on to other important things, and let others work through things their own way and at their own pace.

You did good, chicka! Hope to see you again sometime! :) It was fun!

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 17:22
Illabelle told me that some people just don't like someone & they don't know why, themselves.

Pretty sure I don't have any great insight here. I hope I was able to give you a little peace about things, HM. Life is too short to fix every problem and answer every question and right every wrong, especially if others who are involved are unable or unready or unwilling to cooperate with your efforts. Sometimes we just have to let things go, move on to other important things, and let others work through things their own way and at their own pace. very very well said

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 17:44
very very well said

Illabelle did say that very very well. I will add this....

Originally Posted by Another Kevin
I'm always puzzled when people that I like and respect can't get along with each other.

I'm not the only one that finds it puzzling. AK brought up the same feeling that I have/had... puzzled?? Combine that with the fact that I admit that I am a controlling person. I am also a "fix it" type person. I always want to "fix" things.

I can't control anyone/anything, but myself. I "get it"!!!

I just had another birthday... the older I get, the more "I get" that I don't need to control anyone but myself. Life is sooo much easier this way. I have no idea where I learned to be controlling in the first place... it is a learned behavior, so I was told. I also "get" that I can't "fix" everyone/everything.

No worries, HB... I "get" it. :D

Teacher & Snacktime
10-18-2013, 17:53
I feel fortunate that I am clueless about any of this thread! I must not have gone to the areas where people were having problems.

Well, don't be clueless about HikerMom....I mean Schmaybix.....she's terrific and always willing to help those in the Roanoke/Daleville area!

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 17:58

Well, don't be clueless about HikerMom....I mean Schmaybix.....she's terrific and always willing to help those in the Roanoke/Daleville area!+1. .

coach lou
10-18-2013, 20:32
Ok.........I'll be the Dog.................she's smokin' hot to!:D

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 20:44
hikermom loves you whether you like it or not.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 21:23
Ok.........I'll be the Dog.................she's smokin' hot to!:D

Awww... another one of my favs.. Coach... you DAWG!! :D

HB... Next year change the sign at trail days, right??? ;) God loves you.. and Hikermom does too. :sun

4Bears
10-18-2013, 22:55

I believe that of her, always been a stand up poster and from what I have read a stand up person to those in need around the trail, some day I may need her assistance and hope she is there when needed.

grateful 2
10-18-2013, 23:20
Hikermom is the best!!! She helped me when I most needed it. I would go out of my way to return the favor if she needed help.

Deer Hunter
10-19-2013, 00:21
Well, don't be clueless about HikerMom....I mean Schmaybix.....she's terrific and always willing to help those in the Roanoke/Daleville area!

How true. One of the most caring persons I know.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 10:41
Helping out the little man......

http://www.buddybackpacker.com/magic-mom/

HikerMom58
10-19-2013, 13:48
Wow... thanks for the kind words 4Bears, rather go up and Deer Hunter... that's really kind of y'all to say. Yupers 4Bears, if you are in the area and need anything, just give me a holler. I'm more than happy/willing to help you out. I'm paying it forward from when my daughter was on the trail. Random acts of kindness towards her will never be forgotten by this mom. Besides, I have grown to love smelly hikers... ha ha! I've even become one myself... giddy up! :D

Buddy, his mom & hiking partner D are super nice!! Christian (buddy) is so cute!! He's doing it... he is doing great!! Thanks again T&S for sending them my way.
I've never been disappointed with anyone that I have met. They have all been the BEST hikers a person would ever meet. Many of them are on WB...some are not but they are all unbelievable super nice people. We have a great time... I'm sooo lucky to live so close to the trail!! Happy Trails Everyone!! Don't forget to wear blaze orange... hunters are out there too. Astro (WB member) just did a section in VA and saw a hunter near the trail, just yesterday.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 14:17
There you go again....being helpful. I had forgotten about the hunting season, and now am reminded so I can alter the gear and clothes Snacktime and I will need for our trip next weekend with Another Kevin.

Give my best to Astro!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 16:35
While we are at it, huge thanks to Deer Hunter for bailing us out this weekend also.

Sorry I glossed over this....absolutely kudos to DH. He's pretty wonderful and plays a mean game of Yahtzee (even if he doesn't know enough to always GO FOR THE FIVES!!!!!)

Deer Hunter
10-19-2013, 21:33
Sorry I glossed over this....absolutely kudos to DH. He's pretty wonderful and plays a mean game of Yahtzee (even if he doesn't know enough to always GO FOR THE FIVES!!!!!)

GO FOR THE FIVES!!!!! Good memories. Looking forward to the next game. :)

HikerMom58
10-19-2013, 21:54
GO FOR THE FIVES!!!!! Good memories. Looking forward to the next game. :)

GO FOR THE FIVES next game... :) Good times!!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 23:02

I guess you should have gone for the fives...