PDA

View Full Version : Help finding day pack

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 15:43
Well, I took a trip to the High Peaks in Adirondacks (NY) this weekend and decided that I absolutely need to get myself a day pack! I'm pretty familiar with a lot of options out there for regular packs but I am nothing short of clueless when it comes to their siblings. This is pretty much what I'm look for... money isn't really a factor if the quality is there.

- Something to carry 10-15lbs (few L of water, food, small cook set, head lamp and extra clothing, etc.) comfortably. I'm thinking 2,000-2500ci?
- Strap across chest/hip belt
- Side pockets for water bottle(s)
- Somewhere to hold trekking poles when not in use

That's really it. The most fitting I have found so far is the Go-Lite Jam 35.... but it does not have side pockets which is a big turn off since I do not use a bladder. Can anyone offer me any recommendations? I don't consider myself a LW backpacker but I try my best.... so the lighter the better!

Thank you all in advance :D

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 15:45
EDIT: I do see that the Go-Lite Jam35 has side pockets.

QHShowoman
10-16-2013, 15:52
In the $50 range, I would recommend:
REI Flash 22
http://www.rei.com/product/844631/rei-flash-22-pack

In the $100 range, I like the Osprey Talon 22:
http://www.rei.com/product/808306/osprey-talon-22-pack

chilln
10-16-2013, 16:03
This is what I use. http://www.rei.com/product/796730/osprey-stratos-24-pack I love the suspension and the air space it creates on your back allows for awesome air movement. The negatives are its heavy for a day pack at over 2lbs. also the suspension does eat up some of the space of the interior but I love it for peak bagging treks to the White Mts. It meets all your requirements.

Labojo
10-16-2013, 16:03
I love my Osprey Talon 22

Trebor66
10-16-2013, 20:14
I have a Osprey Stratus 24. It's the best and most comfortable day pack I've owned. It's light, hydration bladder capable, comfortable back panel and hip belt, and is large enough to stuff my fleece jacket in when it starts to warm up. Got mine at REI for a hundred bucks. Highly recommend it.

Trebor66
10-16-2013, 20:15
I forgot to mention that it has all the requirements that you mentioned above.

Rasty
10-16-2013, 20:26
Golites 20 liter daypack. It's almost perfect for your requirements except it's a bit smaller. At $50 it's a steal. I have the 14 liter version and really like it so far.

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 20:41
I was thinking that I would need something larger but now I'm reconsidering... don't think a 35L bag will be necessary. It's literally JUST for day hikes (any over-nighter I will use my Circuit). Main intentions are for the ADK high peaks, want to camp out at a neutral spot and hit peaks during the day while returning back at night.

Anyway, I haven't looked at bags in a while (never needed to) but it seems that Go-Lite's prices have dropped a lot? Is this just me? $59.99 for the Rush 20L seems a bit too good to be true! I haven't found a single competitor to beat that price/weight/volume.

Rasty
10-16-2013, 20:44
It's a good pack. The only wish would have been better waist belt pockets with a zipper.

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 20:52
It's a good pack. The only wish would have been better waist belt pockets with a zipper.

Hmmm... I see what you are saying. It has the waist belt but no zipper. Is it velcro?

Also, since you have this pack you seem to be the best to ask... I recently got a camera clip (<a href="https://peakdesignltd.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=66">V2 Capture Pro</a> ) for my DSLR and want to use it on the strap of my day pack. However, I don't think it will do well on a thin, flimsy strap. I know these bags aren't designed to carry much weight and therefore the padding isn't too necessary. Basically, is it just that, thin and flimsy?

Rasty
10-16-2013, 21:15
Hmmm... I see what you are saying. It has the waist belt but no zipper. Is it velcro?

Also, since you have this pack you seem to be the best to ask... I recently got a camera clip (<a href="https://peakdesignltd.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=66">V2 Capture Pro</a> ) for my DSLR and want to use it on the strap of my day pack. However, I don't think it will do well on a thin, flimsy strap. I know these bags aren't designed to carry much weight and therefore the padding isn't too necessary. Basically, is it just that, thin and flimsy?

The straps don't have much padding but the material is easily strong enough to work with that clamp.

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 21:26
The straps don't have much padding but the material is easily strong enough to work with that clamp.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the help Rasty.

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 22:00
Okay, so as of right now I'm considering the GL Rush 20L but if anyone has any more suggestions I'd certainly open.

QHShowoman, chillen, Labojo and trebor66... thank you all for the suggestions. I'm still looking into these as well :-?

Just Bill
10-17-2013, 00:43
Plus one on the GL pack- can't beat the price and it comes with a bladder. Not the best one but you'd have to spend 15-25 more to buy a platypus or camelback. For the money one of the best deals. The waist belt pouches are a bit silly, but on the plus side you can stuff them with socks to make the pack more comfy. It has a narrow profile that makes it easy to carry. Like any daypack- over load it and it won't be as comfy. But it's big enough if you have light gear for a short overnighter. perfect size for the average day hiker or Dad like me carrying lunch and odds and ends for the family.

wiiawiwb
10-17-2013, 01:58
I also hike in the High Peaks and use my ZPacks Blast for both day trips and overnights. It is made of cuben fiber and weighs all of 9 ounces. It's sturdy enough to be used on any thru hike yet light enough for a day hike.

I added shoulder pouches and will also buy one of their belt pouches. Putting a water bottle in the pouches helps to counter balance what little weight I carry in the pack to begin with.

ZPacks has added other backpacks to their arsenal since I bought my pack including a hybrid cuben fiber one that weighs around 16 oz. Mine is what is now called the "Zero" with many of the optional features included.

I'll mention that I've also got a McHale pack and it now collects dust as I will never go leave home without the ridiculously light cuben fiber pack. YMMV.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml