PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for Fontana Dam to Winding Stair Gap Nov 11-14?

GeoRed
10-17-2013, 23:53
The shuttle has been arranged, looking for someone who may want to go and would want to split shuttle costs. I'm driving in from the Auburn area that morning. We don't necessarily have to hike together, just trying to make the trip cheaper.

The trip has been moved back to Sunday, Nov 10th instead of Monday, the 11th.

Magic_Mack
10-18-2013, 07:53
Would love to, just can't do the 56 miles in 4 days on that terrain

GeoRed
10-18-2013, 09:00
There's no need to rush your trip. As long as your car is at Winding Stair Gap, you can take as long as you need. The 14th is when I plan on arriving back, but I may take an extra day to see the Wasilik Poplar a few miles past Winding Stair Gap.

daddytwosticks
10-18-2013, 15:57
There's no need to rush your trip. As long as your car is at Winding Stair Gap, you can take as long as you need. The 14th is when I plan on arriving back, but I may take an extra day to see the Wasilik Poplar a few miles past Winding Stair Gap. I've hiked in that area (Rock Gap) dozens of times, but have never hiked down to that tree. From what I understand, it's dead and the top has fallen off. You may want to verify this before taking the time to hike down to it. Have a great hike. :)

MuddyWaters
10-18-2013, 18:07
... but I may take an extra day to see the Wasilik Poplar a few miles past Winding Stair Gap.

That might take an extra 90 minutes or so, and its a dead snag.

Train Wreck
10-19-2013, 01:10
There's no need to rush your trip. As long as your car is at Winding Stair Gap, you can take as long as you need. The 14th is when I plan on arriving back, but I may take an extra day to see the Wasilik Poplar a few miles past Winding Stair Gap.

The poplar is not as impressive as it used to be twenty years ago. The top has fallen off, and it's a dead snag like the others said. The trunk is still intact and pretty massive, making for a nice photo opp. I just don't want you to be disappointed. If you're in the mood for big trees, you can take that extra day to check out Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest near Robbinsville, NC. There are some nice old growth trees along that trail, although not quite the size of the Wasilik Poplar, they're still living. With the leaves off, you can see up and down the slopes to other large trees that are further back from the trail. Happy hiking!

GeoRed
10-19-2013, 01:21
Thanks For the info! I will definitely look into Joyce Kilmer. Although I will still probably check out the poplar. Another day on the trail is another day on the trail :)

MuddyWaters
10-19-2013, 08:41
There are trees along the trail that are old growth and comparable to ones in Joyce Kilmer if you just keep your eyes open.

People go to Joyce Kilmer expecting a redwood forest or something, but old growth isnt like that. The trees are of varying ages, undergrowth is thick, and you have to look around to spot the scattered older ones. For sure it would be simpler after leaf off.