PDA

View Full Version : beer, and other intoxicating beverages

Hill Ape
10-18-2013, 00:33
i'd like a list of not to be missed beers and regional potables along the trail. i'll start off with Georgia, sweetwater and terrapin beers, Dawsonville moonshine, and muscadine wine . 13 states to go, whacyall got folks? also, bars, taverns, brewpubs, etc

Wise Old Owl
10-18-2013, 01:43
Yards & Yungling

Biggie Master
10-18-2013, 02:07
Bryson City, NC -- http://www.nantahalabrewing.com

nastynate
10-18-2013, 05:35
Foothills Brewing in Winston Salem: Hoppyum
French Broad in Asheville: Ryehopper
Oskar Blues in Brevard: Dale's Pale Ale and Deviant Dales
Highland Brewing in Asheville: Black Mocha Stout

Just Bill
10-18-2013, 09:48
Ashland had too many good beers to list. I am still unsure why it costs me more to buy a beer (even in town) along the southern AT than it does in Downtown Chicago- but other than that- many fine options.

Starchild
10-18-2013, 11:53
Long Trail Ale Brewery in (around) Killington VT.

quasarr
10-18-2013, 12:16
Foothills Brewing in Winston Salem: Hoppyum
French Broad in Asheville: Ryehopper
Oskar Blues in Brevard: Dale's Pale Ale and Deviant Dales
Highland Brewing in Asheville: Black Mocha Stout

YES!! Hoppyum is one of my favorite beers, and Dale's Pale Ale is definitely in the top 10. Excellent suggestions. Western NC is a great beer region, especially for a hop-head like myself!!

:banana

But I have found that buying IPAs from a microbrewery can be very risky. I think this type of beer must be hard to get right, because I am often disappointed when I try a new IPA. (for example, the aforementioned Highland Brewing makes a great stout and pale ale, but I think their IPA is not good at all) Has anybody else noticed this? To be safe I will often get a Pale Ale if I don't know the brand.

Theosus
10-18-2013, 15:42
never liked beer. Now 'shine is decent, and I make my own muscadine wine... but the bottles are a bit heavy to pack in.

Rasty
10-18-2013, 15:47
YES!! Hoppyum is one of my favorite beers, and Dale's Pale Ale is definitely in the top 10. Excellent suggestions. Western NC is a great beer region, especially for a hop-head like myself!!

:banana

But I have found that buying IPAs from a microbrewery can be very risky. I think this type of beer must be hard to get right, because I am often disappointed when I try a new IPA. (for example, the aforementioned Highland Brewing makes a great stout and pale ale, but I think their IPA is not good at all) Has anybody else noticed this? To be safe I will often get a Pale Ale if I don't know the brand.

Dogfish head 60 minute IPA

Poedog
10-18-2013, 18:01
Devils Backbone out of Rockbridge County, Va. Eight Point IPA. It's no Pliney or Dubhe (or Dogfish), but it's very, very decent.

Spirit Walker
10-18-2013, 19:43
From the Rte 30 crossing near Caledonia SP, you have Appalachian Brewing Co. in one direction (Gettysburg) and Roy Pitz in the other (Chambersburg). Both have good microbrews.

Train Wreck
10-19-2013, 01:03
Of course I am going to weigh in with muscadine wine :D the nectar of the South :banana

quasarr
10-19-2013, 04:27
Dogfish head 60 minute IPA

YES!! I also love the Dogfish 60 minute, as well as the more elusive 90 minute. I heard there is a 120 minute, but I have never seen it with my own eyes. This seems to be the Bigfoot of beer, like "a friend of a friend saw it in Guilford County one time!"

atmilkman
10-19-2013, 07:24
Of course I am going to weigh in with muscadine wine :D the nectar of the South :banana

Definitely have to agree with this. Nothing like a nice fine scuppernong, right Rasty. On another note we were just up in the Whites and asked about a local brew and were more than once directed to Tuckermans. It was really good. Don't know anything about where it's brewed. Maybe someone else can enlighten on that.

yellowsirocco
10-19-2013, 07:29
YES!! I also love the Dogfish 60 minute, as well as the more elusive 90 minute. I heard there is a 120 minute, but I have never seen it with my own eyes. This seems to be the Bigfoot of beer, like "a friend of a friend saw it in Guilford County one time!"

I haven't found 90 minute to be elusive. They have it at my grocery store and at the gas station down the street from me. I have never seen 60 or 120.

lush242000
10-19-2013, 20:38
Hmm a new business Idea. Hiking for beer. I like it!

Sent from somewhere.

Gonecampn
10-19-2013, 21:00
You can not beat good 'ole NC's Junior Johnson's Apple Pie Moonshine. I also like to frequent Foothills Brewery on my monthly visits to Winston-Salem! I'm currently on my send Yuengling Lager for the night. ( I lived for a brief moment in time near Pottsville PA, where Yuengling is Made. Never heard of it until then. Happy weekend ya'll ...........

aficion
10-19-2013, 21:14
Get your growler filled at Blue Lab Brewing Co. in Lexington, VA. Great local IPA. Can't get it at Wally World or anywhere else. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy!

atmilkman
10-19-2013, 21:15
You can not beat good 'ole NC's Junior Johnson's Apple Pie Moonshine. I also like to frequent Foothills Brewery on my monthly visits to Winston-Salem! I'm currently on my send Yuengling Lager for the night. ( I lived for a brief moment in time near Pottsville PA, where Yuengling is Made. Never heard of it until then. Happy weekend ya'll ...........
Just had peach moonshine from just outside the Franklin, NC area a few weeks back that was seriously good also. Happy weekend to yu'ins too.

Gonecampn
10-19-2013, 21:31
Just had peach moonshine from just outside the Franklin, NC area a few weeks back that was seriously good also. Happy weekend to yu'ins too.

I can hardly stand any kind of liquor but Jr's Apple Pie is the closest to candy you can get! " as far a moonshine/liquor goes" ;) I like peaches too!

atmilkman
10-19-2013, 21:42
I can hardly stand any kind of liquor but Jr's Apple Pie is the closest to candy you can get! " as far a moonshine/liquor goes" ;) I like peaches too!

LOL. Have to get you to try some corn liquor from Dutton, AL one of these days. It's like drinking water. (at first)

Gonecampn
10-19-2013, 21:50
^ that doesn't even sound good!

Hops53
10-20-2013, 00:32
Nantahala's 8 Foot Drop Double IPA is a high grav that is right up there with the best. Hoppyum (Foothills) is great also, but then I am a hophead (deadhead, too).