PDA

View Full Version : Pine Mountain Trail, GA

bhgant
10-18-2013, 11:51
Came across this trail in GA on the internet and was thinking it might be a good choice for my wife and I to knock out in 3 days at a leisurely pace. Looking for something within driving distance from Birmingham that has reliable water and not "too many" ups and downs that she will enjoy. Appears the entire trail is 23 miles long.

Anybody done the PMT and have any personal information about it? I have checked out there website which has a lot of great information but was hoping for some personal opinions.

Thanks!

Brooks

perdidochas
10-18-2013, 13:22
Came across this trail in GA on the internet and was thinking it might be a good choice for my wife and I to knock out in 3 days at a leisurely pace. Looking for something within driving distance from Birmingham that has reliable water and not "too many" ups and downs that she will enjoy. Appears the entire trail is 23 miles long.

Anybody done the PMT and have any personal information about it? I have checked out there website which has a lot of great information but was hoping for some personal opinions.

Thanks!

Brooks

My scout troop did this in the spring. It's a nice trail to learn on, which is what we did. A lot of Scout troops use this trail, because it's a good beginner's backpacking location. Lots of water, and fairly gradual ups and downs.

bhgant
10-18-2013, 14:07
Do you remember your mileage for each day and which sites you camped at? Any that you might recommend over others. Hopefully we can get over there in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Alan
10-18-2013, 14:51
Brooks, The PMT is a great little well-kept secret - completely within FDR state park, safe patrolled parking, well maintained trails, active group that maintains. In addition, several historical items there (FDR site on Dowdells Knob, 1930's CCC ponds, site of a B-25 plane crash, as well as CCC era FDR State Park HQ. The trail is 23 miles, but there are another 25 miles of connecting trails, making any number of loop possibilities. I sound like the chamber of commerce, but over the years I have done every mile multiple times.Not strenous, but some good view and just enough elevation to have some variety in tes/trail/etc. Enjoy!

bhgant
10-18-2013, 15:50
Sounds perfect! Time to get to planning! :)

rblackburn
03-24-2014, 10:03
Did you get a chance to hike the trail yet? My wife & I have been working our way looping around the trails on overnight weekend hikes. We have done all but 8 miles including side trails and have really enjoyed it.

T-Rx
03-24-2014, 10:35
PMT is a great trail for beginner backpackers and day hikers. My wife and I have done the trail multiple times over the years and it has always been an enjoyable experience. There are several historical sites along the trail and water is plentiful. Look at a map of the trail and plan your hike accordingly. You will need to obtain a permit from the park HQ and pay a small fee for use of the trail and backcountry campsites. If your hike involves a weekend you may want to call ahead of your arrival to ensure you have a spot reserved at your desired camping areas as some can get busy during weekends.

BryceB
03-24-2014, 22:50
My kids (16 and 11yo) and I are going to backpack the PMT next week. If you are going to be there more than a night or 2, it's worth it to become PMT Assn. Members. members can camp for free, otherwise it's $10 per person per night.

i think we are going to do 3 nights starting at the east end and go to the west end. then loop back to the main campground where my the rest of the family is camping.

secret squirrl
03-25-2014, 20:04
I use to live in Pine Mountain, Georgia and the area around the trail is beautiful.