PDA

View Full Version : Favorite backpack sticky on inside - remedy?

cj_SLU
10-18-2013, 15:47
My favorite backpack is 10 years old, but it was still going strong until recently. I stored it at my parents house when I moved out of state. My dad tossed it up in the attic with his old backpacking gear, and now it is sticky on the inside (I'm guessing it's the waterproof coating breaking down). It doesn't have an odor, or any mold or mildew smell. It's just sticky. Is there a way to get rid of the stickiness or scrape off the old coating?

The bag is in perfect condition otherwise since I was careful to take care of it. I really can't afford to buy a new backpack.

greentick
10-18-2013, 16:29
Clean with soap and water.

Still sticky? Dust it with some sort of powder. After seam sealing my tarp/tarptent and it dried I dusted it with something of that nature. No more sticky.

Weather-man
10-21-2013, 20:46
What's worked for me on old tents that got sticky is to spray them with the commercially available silicone waterproof spray. I just did the fly on a 25 year old SD cliplight that was very sticky and it worked perfectly. YMMV.

Trailweaver
10-22-2013, 02:25
Thanks ya'll. I discovered my tent had this problem this year after a long storage. I love it that no matter what kind of question you have, you can get an answer here if you look for it!