PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in my Situation ?

Kookork
10-18-2013, 21:16
You are hiking a trail and just before entering a very long board walk you are just stuck behind a hiker who is apparently slower than you and is listening to a seemingly loud music on his headset and has no clue you are right behind him . You want to pass him but he can't hear your hi or hello or helllllow .
The board walk( or trail ) is not wide enough for you to pass him safely without him acknowledging that you are passing . You are not in a rush but he is walking almost half your hiking speed and his pace is too slow for an average hiker .

What would you do next in this situation?

Special K
10-18-2013, 21:20
Possibly create some vibration on the board walk with your feet/poles.

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 21:21
whack my poles on the boardwalk behind him.

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 21:23
this seems like a situation where an air horn would come in handy. you could toss an object off to the side of him.

Rolls Kanardly
10-18-2013, 21:25
That would have to be one long board walk to not wait. I think I would tap, thunk, beat, smack the board walk in hopes the vibrations would awaken him to the pass and then just wait the other hiker out if no luck. Now if it is a section of the trail (ground, dirt, rocks) I do not have any answer to that unless you are caring a bear whistle.
Rolls

MuddyWaters
10-18-2013, 21:32
come up behind them and yell HELLO, or tap them on shoulder.

Seriously, if someone chooses to be oblivious of their surroundings by wearing a headset, it becomes their problem, not yours. Forget etiquette.

Special K
10-18-2013, 21:32
Wondering minds want to know....what DID you do?

Kookork
10-18-2013, 21:35
You are not on the board walk . You are just on a narrow trail behind him but you know that if you don't pass him the long board walk is coming. So technically you are not on the board to tap on or vibrate or anything.

Poedog
10-18-2013, 21:37
If you're not in a rush, stop and have a snack, take a whiz, observe something along on the trail you normally would overlook.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 21:38
Possibly create some vibration on the board walk with your feet/poles.

Hey SK... that's what I did when I saw a snake on the trail. All the "cool kids" are posting tonight! :>)

You are hiking a trail and just before entering a very long board walk you are just stuck behind a hiker who is apparently slower than you and is listening to a seemingly loud music on his headset and has no clue you are right behind him . You want to pass him but he can't hear your hi or hello or helllllow .
The board walk( or trail ) is not wide enough for you to pass him safely without him acknowledging that you are passing . You are not in a rush but he is walking almost half your hiking speed and his pace is too slow for an average hiker .

What would you do next in this situation?

Hey Koko... where have you been?? Is this a situation that you found yourself in or is this a problem you are anticipating?? I would probably just walk behind until I could find a place to get past... If the person was painfully slow I might just "accidentally" nudge them. :D

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 21:39
You are not on the board walk . You are just on a narrow trail behind him but you know that if you don't pass him the long board walk is coming. So technically you are not on the board to tap on or vibrate or anything.
well then definitely air horn.
seriously, muddy's right

max patch
10-18-2013, 21:40
I can't imagine a boardwalk that would be sooo long that it wouldn't be an issue to a) walk at a slower pace for a bit, or b) take a 2 minute break and grab some water.

rickb
10-18-2013, 21:41
Wake up and go to the fridge?

atmilkman
10-18-2013, 21:42
You stick your hiking pole up his butt like a cattle prod, jerk them head phones off and tell him to get his azz movin'.

max patch
10-18-2013, 21:44
Hey Koko... where have you been??

He was stuck behind a slow hiker and couldn't post.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 21:44
You stick your hiking pole up his butt like a cattle prod, jerk them head phones off and tell him to get his azz movin'.

Ha ha!! Don't tell me you had to do that while hiking in NH! ;)

MuddyWaters
10-18-2013, 21:45
I can't imagine a boardwalk that would be sooo long that it wouldn't be an issue to a) walk at a slower pace for a bit, or b) take a 2 minute break and grab some water.

Or ride the Ferris Wheel and let him get ahead.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 21:45
He was stuck behind a slow hiker and couldn't post.

FUNNY!! :p

Kookork
10-18-2013, 21:46
I have been in this exact situation but in reality the he was a she and painfully out of shape and slow and totally into the music and singing simultaneously what she was listening. One thing was for sure, she was enjoying her moment if not hike.

atmilkman
10-18-2013, 21:47
Ha ha!! Don't tell me you had to do that while hiking in NH! ;)

Almost had it done to me. Just got back. Whites were packed but awesome. My kness hurt so bad I could cry. (not really) But it was worth it. Just awesome.

Special K
10-18-2013, 21:48
Hey SK... that's what I did when I saw a snake on the trail. All the "cool kids" are posting tonight:D

HI Shmaybix! Nice to see you!! Hard not to think of you as HM. ;) As far as the boardwalk goes....was it over water? If so, you could've tossed a rock and created a SPLASH!!

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 21:48
Or ride the Ferris Wheel and let him get ahead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQpF051Wrzs

atmilkman
10-18-2013, 21:49
I have been in this exact situation but in reality the he was a she and painfully out of shape and slow and totally into the music and singing simultaneously what she was listening. One thing was for sure, she was enjoying her moment if not hike.

Sounds like a sing-a-long to me.

Kookork
10-18-2013, 21:52

Max , her pace was painfully slow but the board walk was about 400 yards or so. Seems eternity when you are behind a person who is slower than you and the bugs (boardwalks arenormally bug infested areas) are eating you alive. But i get your point.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 21:57
HI Shmaybix! Nice to see you!! Hard not to think of you as HM. ;) As far as the boardwalk goes....was it over water? If so, you could've tossed a rock and created a SPLASH!!

Great idea but just make sure it's a rock that makes the SPLASH not something else, right?? ;) I'm still ME, SK.

Special K
10-18-2013, 21:58
...in reality the he was a she and painfully out of shape and slow...

Hmmmm....what boardwalk was I on??? "Cough", "cough"...I mean...what boardwalk where you on?

Kookork
10-18-2013, 22:00
Hey SK... that's what I did when I saw a snake on the trail. All the "cool kids" are posting tonight! :>)

Hey Koko... where have you been?? Is this a situation that you found yourself in or is this a problem you are anticipating?? I would probably just walk behind until I could find a place to get past... If the person was painfully slow I might just "accidentally" nudge them. :D

Hi Shmaybix. I have been very busy with my last serious wood working project.
I miss WB so much. Sometimes it makes me feel ashame that work has forced me to abandon WB and my many good friends.

Is it all good still around WB as Hikerboy always says? is WB a better place now compare to couple of months ago? or???

atmilkman
10-18-2013, 22:01
Hmmmm....what boardwalk was I on??? "Cough", "cough"...I mean...what boardwalk where you on?

Now we know the truth behind the shiner.

Special K
10-18-2013, 22:06
Now we know the truth behind the shiner.

LOLOL!! Yes, sometimes the truth HURTS! :o

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 22:06
Almost had it done to me. Just got back. Whites were packed but awesome. My kness hurt so bad I could cry. (not really) But it was worth it. Just awesome.

I'm glad you had a great time!! Now to get those knees fixed, ATM! :D

It's fun "seeing" everyone on here.. don't mean to leave any one of you out.... Hey EVERYONE! I wish this forum had a "like" feature so I could like all the posts.

rickb... I didn't know you met ur wife on a trail... I think I saw that on another thread... :cool:

Hi Poedog!

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 22:12
Hi Shmaybix. I have been very busy with my last serious wood working project.
I miss WB so much. Sometimes it makes me feel ashame that work has forced me to abandon WB and my many good friends.

Is it all good still around WB as Hikerboy always says? is WB a better place now compare to couple of months ago? or???

Hi Kookork.. Wow, serious wood working project, huh?? Do tell!!

We missed you for sure! The last couple of months have been interesting but heck yeah, I would say, in the end .... it's all good!! :D Welcome back!
We miss Rocket Socks, Bird Brain and Train Wreck just to name a few!! They are around but not as much....

GoldenBear
10-18-2013, 22:22
But from the other side of the coin.

As I noted earlier, my complete lack of speed has meant that, in 866 miles of hiking the Trail, I've never passed anyone -- EVER. I've even considered changing my nick to "Snail's Pace."
So I'm fully cognizant that, to most hikers, I'm not much more than a moving boulder in the middle of the Trail.
So I genuinely take seriously my responsibility (yes, that's how I view it) to keep out of the way of "real hikers" (my words, not yours).

So I guess I can give a meaningful answer to the question, "What would you want people to do if you were blocking their progress, but you were oblivious to that fact despite their verbal requests?"

Answer: just get right behind, tap me on the shoulder, try not to make me feel TOO stupid when I shriek, and then ask, "Is it okay if I pass?"
If I respond, "I wish you hadn't sneaked up on me!", just kindly state, "Well, I spoke out to you a few times before tapping you on the shoulder," (please make certain this is the truth!) "but you seem to have been distracted by something." Please note that the latter phrase is exactly the same as, "You weren't paying attention," but is lot more sympathetic and lot less accusatory.

Just like you don't have to tell a smoker that cigarettes are bad for your health, you don't have to tell me I'm slow. If you're nasty about a fact that is pretty obvious, you won't get a polite response.

I should mention that I've NEVER caught flak for my lack of speed from anyone, and for that I thank everybody's I've met (and gotten out of the way of).
But I've also given a fair amount of thought to how I should handle the meeting of others, and how I'd like to be treated when it happens.

So don't be afraid to just make your presence known by touch, if verbal warnings don't seem to be working.

BTW, I MUCH prefer words like, "Coming behind you!" over clicking of poles. When my first indication that there's something behind me is proof that it's a person, then it's lot less unnerving.

Kookork
10-18-2013, 22:31
It would be a lie if I say I was not tempted to tap on her backpack to get her attention to pass but then I said who am I to destroy her moment just because I am in faster pace for a short time than her .

So I slowed down and refreshed my bug spray in exposed area then took some photos and then caught with her after the board walk. She was resting in a wide area by then and we smiled at each other. My dog even had a moment of real connection with her like he knew her for a long time. Quite impressive for a normally reserve dog in first encounters.

Never saw her again but by I am glad I did what I did.Now I enjoy remembering the moment . Maybe kind of painful for the moment to slow down but pleasant to remember . I had no moral right to ruin her moment I guess.

yaduck9
10-18-2013, 22:33
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Alert-Classic-Bugle-Horn/dp/B000HACTZC/ref=sr_1_6?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1382149853&sr=1-6

hikerboy57
10-18-2013, 22:34
It would be a lie if I say I was not tempted to tap on her backpack to get her attention to pass but then I said who am I to destroy her moment just because I am in faster pace for a short time than her .

So I slowed down and refreshed my bug spray in exposed area then took some photos and then caught with her after the board walk. She was resting in a wide area by then and we smiled at each other. My dog even had a moment of real connection with her like he knew her for a long time. Quite impressive for a normally reserve dog in first encounters.

Never saw her again but by I am glad I did what I did.Now I enjoy remembering the moment . Maybe kind of painful for the moment to slow down but pleasant to remember . I had no moral right to ruin her moment I guess.
but what would you have done had you been carrying an airhorn?:)

kayak karl
10-18-2013, 22:38
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Alert-Classic-Bugle-Horn/dp/B000HACTZC/ref=sr_1_6?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1382149853&sr=1-6 why? im not the slow one with buds in my ears. they should have this :D (http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Heavy-Duty-Bicycle-Bike-Rear-View-Mirror-Moped-Type-Old-School-Retro-Vintage-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$%28KGrHqNHJEQF!dQ4YBcdBQfFioI17g~~60_35.JPG)

Hill Ape
10-18-2013, 22:40
if you're unwilling to intrude on their head space, for whatever reason, then hike behind them for awhile

yaduck9
10-18-2013, 22:40
What was i THINKING??

Kookork
10-18-2013, 23:11
Serious wood working but on very small items . I have worked on more than 40 different exotic wood species in the last couple of month. It will be in the market in maybe 2 to 3 weeks for all WBers to enjoy. And it is so light and effective that many carry them while thru hiking any major trail!!!. I will put the link soon here. It is now on pilot study . Anyway ..

WB is like a huge cruise ship in an ocean which travels all over the world on a never ending cruise. In any given time there are some crew members who do their best to keep the ship clean and well maintained and then there are passengers who come here to enjoy a short cruise with us . Just from time A to B.
some good some bad some great some ugly. But they come aboard the WB ship from time to time. Make some friends along the way and then many fade or even vanish.

The captain and the crews though are always trying to keep this now some years old ship tidy and welcoming as much as possible.Are they successful to do the job?!

Who the hell do you think I am? a judge ??:)

The funny part is that the captain and crews are not paid a penny for their job!! and the best part is that your journey's duration is up to you. It can be short from this wharf to the other or it can be lifelong. We will miss some dear friends for a while. Heck,, we may even miss them forever but it is the moment we should enjoy and cherish. The WB will cruise for a long long time.

HikerMom58
10-18-2013, 23:39
Serious wood working but on very small items . I have worked on more than 40 different exotic wood species in the last couple of month. It will be in the market in maybe 2 to 3 weeks for all WBers to enjoy. And it is so light and effective that many carry them while thru hiking any major trail!!!. I will put the link soon here. It is now on pilot study . Anyway ..

WB is like a huge cruise ship in an ocean which travels all over the world on a never ending cruise. In any given time there are some crew members who do their best to keep the ship clean and well maintained and then there are passengers who come here to enjoy a short cruise with us . Just from time A to B.
some good some bad some great some ugly. But they come aboard the WB ship from time to time. Make some friends along the way and then many fade or even vanish.

The captain and the crews though are always trying to keep this now some years old ship tidy and welcoming as much as possible.Are they successful to do the job?!

Who the hell do you think I am? a judge ??:)

The funny part is that the captain and crews are not paid a penny for their job!! and the best part is that your journey's duration is up to you. It can be short from this wharf to the other or it can be lifelong. We will miss some dear friends for a while. Heck,, we may even miss them forever but it is the moment we should enjoy and cherish. The WB will cruise for a long long time.

That's a great way put it Koolkork... It's a word picture... I like it!! AWESOME!!

Wow, ur project sounds interesting.. we will have to check it out! :)

elmotoots
10-19-2013, 00:12
" but then I said who am I to destroy her moment just because I am in faster pace for a short time than her "

You posted the best answer to your own question, and I was very happy to see you do it

garlic08
10-19-2013, 08:18
You handled it better than I would have. I like to think I'd have that kind of patience and sometimes I do. But headphones sort of bug me in a HMHDI sort of way. I can't imagine not hearing what's going on. Especially in rattler country. Hike My Hike, Damn It!

This happens to me in a similar way nearly daily on the bicycle paths in my area. It's polite, even posted on signs, to give an audible alert when you pass. But so many ride or walk (slowly, in the middle of the path) with ear buds or headphones, so loud even I can hear the music behind them. So I give a normal alert, knowing they can't hear it, and pass them very closely and usually startle the cuss out of them. Serves them right, I figure, for slowing me down on my ride (and not riding the way I do, of course).

Cookerhiker
10-19-2013, 08:32
I would just holler "Excuse me, may I get by" in a loud voice.

Cookerhiker
10-19-2013, 08:36
...This happens to me in a similar way nearly daily on the bicycle paths in my area. It's polite, even posted on signs, to give an audible alert when you pass. But so many ride or walk (slowly, in the middle of the path) with ear buds or headphones, so loud even I can hear the music behind them. So I give a normal alert, knowing they can't hear it, and pass them very closely and usually startle the cuss out of them. Serves them right, I figure, for slowing me down on my ride (and not riding the way I do, of course).

What cracks me up is the "requirement" in some parks to have a bell or whistle on the bike when most people I encounter on such bike paths don't respond. Typical is a family with small children who are taking up the whole width on a walk. I ring and ring the bell but they ignore it. Only when I shout something do they finally give a little space. I guess they think the bell is pleasant noise, not a warning.

atmilkman
10-19-2013, 08:45
What cracks me up is the "requirement" in some parks to have a bell or whistle on the bike when most people I encounter on such bike paths don't respond. Typical is a family with small children who are taking up the whole width on a walk. I ring and ring the bell but they ignore it. Only when I shout something do they finally give a little space. I guess they think the bell is pleasant noise, not a warning.

Same thing here. I start from way back ringing like heck to no response, and if they do respond they turn around and step the wrong way. Instead of moving to the right they move to both sides leaving me the eye of a needle to shoot through in the middle. I've even had them looking right at me, step right in front of me for some unknown reason right at the last moment.

Train Wreck
10-19-2013, 11:46
Same thing here. I start from way back ringing like heck to no response, and if they do respond they turn around and step the wrong way. Instead of moving to the right they move to both sides leaving me the eye of a needle to shoot through in the middle. I've even had them looking right at me, step right in front of me for some unknown reason right at the last moment.

You're doing it all wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnp6Uw79UM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnp6Uw79UM

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 14:43
Bowling for Hikers?

Train Wreck
10-19-2013, 14:49
Bowling for Hikers?

Extra points if you also topple the bear stalking them from behind :D

JAK
10-19-2013, 14:54
Throughout the ages the most critical barrier to human travel has not been mountains or oceans or severe weather, or vast distance. It is people. There will always be people getting in the way. Some will slow you down, some will make you pay money, some will stop you and turn you back, some will even kill you or throw you in jail. At least this one was friendly.

I can understand your frustration. Even if you do stop, what if another slow hiker was another 1/2 mile behind, but slightly faster than the first, so you would have to keep stopping and going and stopping and going, caught in a squeeze play. It's my greatest fear on the trail. This is why I carry bear spray.

Odd Man Out
10-19-2013, 15:20

Better yet, push a giant boulder propped up on a million year old formation into to water to get her attention. Since the hiker ahead of you is not paying attention, pushing over the precariously balanced boulder harmlessly into the water will undoubtedly save her life, as well as the live of countless other families who could have been crushed.

Oh, and howdie to Smaybix as well.

yaduck9
10-19-2013, 16:05
Throughout the ages the most critical barrier to human travel has not been mountains or oceans or severe weather, or vast distance. It is people. There will always be people getting in the way. Some will slow you down, some will make you pay money, some will stop you and turn you back, some will even kill you or throw you in jail. At least this one was friendly.

I can understand your frustration. Even if you do stop, what if another slow hiker was another 1/2 mile behind, but slightly faster than the first, so you would have to keep stopping and going and stopping and going, caught in a squeeze play. It's my greatest fear on the trail. This is why I carry bear spray.

Some very deep and perplexing thoughts there..................almost like the proverbial question: How many Trail Angles can dance on the top of a trekking pole?

fredmugs
10-19-2013, 16:15
I probably pass 200 people before 1 person passes me. If you can't wait you should get off the trail, find someone in a wheelchair, and push them over.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 16:23

I was thinking precisely the same thing in the grocery this morning. Where can I get this bear spray?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 16:26
I probably pass 200 people before 1 person passes me. .

Now you're just bragging.....:D. Reverse this scenerio and you've got Snacktime and me on the trail. We have NEVER passed anyone.

Train Wreck
10-19-2013, 16:49
We have NEVER passed anyone.

I hope you at least pass Snacktime to the next grade after all the awful field trips you've FORCED him to take on the AT :D

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2013, 17:12
Oh absolutely.....he's a 6th grader now....and learning so fast I can hardly keep up. But man, is it fun trying!!!!

Rolls Kanardly
10-22-2013, 14:51
Extra points if you also topple the bear stalking them from behind :D

Now that would be funny. Carry a 14 lb to 16 lb ball on the trail so you can knock Boo Boo Bear into the dirt.

Rolls

aficion
10-22-2013, 16:32
come up behind them and yell HELLO, or tap them on shoulder.

Seriously, if someone chooses to be oblivious of their surroundings by wearing a headset, it becomes their problem, not yours. Forget etiquette.

this......

aficion
10-22-2013, 16:34

Enough with the LW impersonations already!

Dakota Joe
05-19-2014, 21:44
Pass gas really loudly. If the noise does not work then the stench will make them turn around. Then say excuse me and pass hiker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunnyWalker
05-20-2014, 08:53
Yeah . . . . . hmmmmmm . . . . that's what I would do!