PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil Sol Ti Boil Test (w/ 110 gr canister)

CarlZ993
10-19-2013, 12:12
I haven't used my JetBoil Sol Ti stove on a trip yet. I conducted a boil test to see how many times I could boil 16 oz (2 Cups) of water out of a 110gr fuel canister. I timed each boil and also weighed the unit to determine the amount of fuel used. In what I would consider 'ideal' conditions (essentially no wind in mild temps), I got 27 boils out of the canister. I ran out of fuel as the final 16 oz came to a boil. The fuel canister burned for 23:16 & averaged 1:45 for each boil. I averaged 4.04 grams (0.14 oz) of fuel used in each boil.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the output of the little stove. I typically use the freezer bag style of cooking on my backpacking trips. I used an alcohol stove on the AT Thru-hike this year. Obviously, it took much longer to boil water w/ the alcohol stove. On subsequent long distance hikes, I may use this stove instead.

Protocol:
Canister = Snow Peak 110 gram canister (4 oz; small).
Water boiled = 16 oz (2 Cups; ~473 ml)
After firing up the stove, initiate phone timer. When the water comes to a rolling boil, stop timer & then turn off the stove. Record time & amount of fuel used. The first 25 boils were conducted in little to no wind @ 68 degrees. The final two boils were conducted a day later @ 58 degrees & little to no wind.

Note: A friend of mine used a similar JetBoil stove on the AT this year. He claimed that he was about to hike about 400 miles w/ one 110 gram canister. He would only boil water for his Mountain House meal in the evening. Given an occasional evening town meal & his hiking pace, I can see how this was easily possible.

Coffee
10-19-2013, 13:29
I have the Sol Aluminum. I boiled between 32-40 ounces of water each day on the JMT this year. A single canister lasted nine days which is more than I expected. I ended the trip giving away a nearly full canister I carried on the second half of the trip thinking I would need it. I may experiment with alcohol stoves before next summer but it would be hard to beat the jetboil when it comes to speed.

MuddyWaters
10-19-2013, 13:39
Heat exchanger setups like the jet boil have one real advantage, they are very stingy on fuel for long distances between re-supply.

Anyone that thinks its important to boil water in 2 min vs 5 min or 8 min on the trail is just fooling themselves. Unless multiple persons are sharing the same stove.

Coffee
10-19-2013, 13:48
Anyone that thinks its important to boil water in 2 min vs 5 min or 8 min on the trail is just fooling themselves. Unless multiple persons are sharing the same stove.
It sure was nice in the mornings. I don't have a separate coffee cup, so I would boil water for oatmeal, eat it, and then boil again for coffee. Probably saved 10-15 minutes in the process of breaking camp. I'm pretty slow breaking camp in the morning but at least the stove didn't slow me down. But I do see the advantages of alcohol stoves especially related to fuel availability and plan to try some out.

Son Driven
10-19-2013, 14:27
Good info Carl. Finished my 2013 flip flop through hike ended 7 months to the day on 10/07/13. Once we got into the warmer weather, I realized I had not used my stove for a couple weeks. I ended up putting my homemade alcohol cat stove in a hiker box. Next hike I think I will invest in a JetBoil.

"It is well with my soul"

MuddyWaters
10-19-2013, 14:52
It sure was nice in the mornings. I don't have a separate coffee cup, so I would boil water for oatmeal, eat it, and then boil again for coffee. Probably saved 10-15 minutes in the process of breaking camp. I'm pretty slow breaking camp in the morning but at least the stove didn't slow me down. But I do see the advantages of alcohol stoves especially related to fuel availability and plan to try some out.

If using instant oatmeal, just pour the water in the bag. The little paper pouches are lined and water proof.

Or, if you are weird like me, just eat plain oatmeal dry. I actually snack on it that way at home and prefer it like that. For a snack, I will fill a coffee cup with oatmeal, then eat it while doing something. It only starts off dry, it turns into a sticky gooey mess as soon as you start chewing, and thats the way I like oatmeal.

I never cook breakfast, just start walking. Cooking breakfast is too time consuming. Then again, Ill start walking 1-2 hrs before daylight usually too unless theres views or sunrise I dont want to miss. First 2 hrs of the day go by fast in the dark. I just cant sleep 10 hr per night. Its either get up and go, or lay there awake and just waste time.

Coffee
10-19-2013, 14:55
If using instant oatmeal, just pour the water in the bag. The little paper pouches are lined and water proof.

Or, if you are weird like me, just eat plain oatmeal dry. I actually snack on it that way at home and prefer it like that. For a snack, I will fill a coffee cup with oatmeal, then eat it while doing something. It only starts off dry, it turns into a sticky gooey mess as soon as you start chewing, and thats the way I like oatmeal.

I never cook breakfast, just start walking. Cooking breakfast is too time consuming. Then again, Ill start walking 1-2 hrs before daylight usually too unless theres views or sunrise I dont want to miss.

I prepared my own custom mix of oatmeal for the trip. I'm actually thinking of going with granola and nuts on my next trip so the only water I would be boiling in the morning would be for coffee. The granola would be eaten cold after adding water and nido. I'd like to get my morning routine down to 60 minutes or less from waking up to starting on the trail. This year it was more like 90 minutes and sometimes even two hours.

yellowsirocco
10-19-2013, 17:51
1st breakfast (I eat by the hobbit schedule) for me is a bagel as I am walking away from camp. Saves a lot of time packing, especially since I have meds that require a half hour after taking to eat breakfast.

CarlZ993
10-19-2013, 21:34
Early in my AT hike, I'd often cook oatmeal w/ my alcohol stove. It took so long that I gave that up pretty quickly (even though the warm breakfast help warm me up in the cold mornings). Just a cold breakfast of granola cereal w/ Nido milk. I'm not a coffee drinker. If I'd taken the JetBoil, I'd probably had hot cocoa on a regular basis, though.