PDA

View Full Version : Switching to a hammock....any suggestions?

Tree Nerd
10-19-2013, 19:05
So this year I attempted a thru hike and had to get off due to unexpected reasons. Well now that I am off the trail and planning to section hike the rest I am making some changes to my gear. During my thru attempt I had a SMD Lunar Solo and got very tired of it, so tired of it that I send it home and just slept in shelters. I have a grand trunk hammock and love it but would like a different setup, something that has a bugnet and fly included but IDK where to start.

I'm 5'10" and 165lbs and I'm looking to spend around $100; any suggestions?

kayak karl
10-19-2013, 19:32
at $100 for hammock, net and fly DIY would be the way to go. up budget to $1000 and ill give you choices, quilts included :)

Stir Fry
10-19-2013, 19:38
Learn to stay warm. IMHO that the learnig curve in a Hammock is staying warm. Most that I have see that gave up on a Hammock had trouble staying warm. After you learn to stay warm you will never go back to the ground. Oh yah did I mention learn to stay warm.

WeShallSee
10-19-2013, 20:14
Just go to hammockforums.net. They will teach you everything you need to know about making your own or buying what you want. Good luck.

Tree Nerd
10-19-2013, 21:12
Thanks for the input guys. I know $100 is a budget but I'm looking for used stuff. And yes I understand staying warm is a major concern. I know all about underquilts and other options for that, Im just trying to find a hammock now.....I'll look into hammockforums.net.

78owl
10-19-2013, 23:57
A couple threads on white blaze that are very recent that have hammocks for sale

Tuckahoe
10-20-2013, 01:16
It's 1:11am and I'm relaxed in my hammock here in Pennsylvania (not on the trail though). So here is a self portrait --

R1ma
10-20-2013, 08:29
The most cost-effective setup I know of that doesn't include a sewing machine is a $170 Hennessey.

Tree Nerd
10-20-2013, 21:42
The most cost-effective setup I know of that doesn't include a sewing machine is a $170 Hennessey.

Are you talking about the scout? I have been considering it but I am not sure about the size of it. I am just out of the manufacturers suggested size limit.

Just Bill
10-20-2013, 21:56
I literally just finished my first hammock. Just a gathered end job I'll likely try tonight. It cost a whopping $25 for the fabric. Some Paracord lying around made the ridgeline and cord. I know you're a no sew guy, but you could probably pay a local tailor to stitch it up, it only took me an hour and I suck at sewing. Even better- I don't actually see any reason for the stitching on the gathered end style. Sear the edges with a candle on all four sides. You could probably just roll the cord up in the end a few times and tie it up. I think a few hammock companies actually use that technique.

Tuckahoe
10-21-2013, 08:56
As others have stated you will find most all of the information that you will need at hammockforums.net. There is a very active and extremely helpful DIY section of the forum over there as well as a very active section for selling used hammock gear.

On your $100 budget, is that just for your hammock and fly? And beyond the integrated bug net what other features are you looking for?

aficion
10-21-2013, 09:04
Will let my Henessey 1.5 lb. Ultra Light Backpacker go for $100.00 + shipping. Has included diamond shaped tarp and tree straps. (One tree strap needs restitching) Light to moderate use and in very good condition.

Tree Nerd
10-21-2013, 10:59
Will let my Henessey 1.5 lb. Ultra Light Backpacker go for $100.00 + shipping. Has included diamond shaped tarp and tree straps. (One tree strap needs restitching) Light to moderate use and in very good condition.

Aficion, can you send me an email at [email protected]

aficion
10-21-2013, 12:37
Aficion, can you send me an email at [email protected]

Sure TN. Doing so now.

R1ma
10-21-2013, 18:22
Are you talking about the scout? I have been considering it but I am not sure about the size of it. I am just out of the manufacturers suggested size limit.

No, the scout is too small for you. You're too tall, but its only $100. The expedition is $170. I've got one. It's not light, but comfy for my 6', 160 lbs.

If you've got a short friend/girlfriend, every once in a while, he'll do a sale where you buy any hammock and get a scout for free. Got my daughter a scout that way ;) . And it gives ya 2 hammocks for $170 - $85 each.

papa john
10-23-2013, 06:12
Check Hennessy's eBay store, they are having a sale right now. Some really good deals.

QiWiz
10-23-2013, 12:28
I have a BIAS Weight Weenie hammock with a DIY tulle bugnet (but BIAS can sell you bugnets too) that I've been very happy with. BIAS is "Butt In A Sling".

TDHanger
10-25-2013, 05:20
You best bets would be either a Thunderbird or Dangerbird from http://www.dream-hammock.com/Hammocks.html or a Warebonnet XLC Blackbird from http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

WILLIAM HAYES
10-25-2013, 20:03
try ebay you can sometimes catch a deal on a hammock like a hennessy i have tried just about every hammock on the market and now use a War Bonnet Black Bird check out hammock forums they are a good information source if you want to get into hammocks

Grinder
10-25-2013, 20:30
I bought a used scout for around $65 I think. I didn't like it and sold it again for no loss. adjusting an underquilt ouside of the zipped up hammock is a royal pain.!!
If you buy the conventional hammock thinking, you have to have a Hennessy and an underquilt. About 300 there. and a bigger tarp for another 100.You are way over your budget.

I'm your size and a scout was just fine for size for me.

Watch for a used hennessy. Get used to sleeping on a pad inside the hammock. rig up a bug net. I used a $10 bed bug net that I draped over the ridge line. A real zip up deal is only necessary in prime bug season, when the mosquitos can carry you off.

And, what they said about hammock forums. You should be able to find one in budget there.

Practice camp in yard or woods near home before you leave. You can do it!! Good Luck

squeezebox
10-25-2013, 21:56
I'm a side sleeper. If I sleep on my back I snore so bad I wake myself up. Can I side sleep in a hammock?

Tuckahoe
10-25-2013, 22:53
Yes, you can sleep on your side in a hammock. I use a bridge hammock and I can quite comfortably sleep on my sides as well as my stomach. I dont toss and turn in my hammock and the night that I took the picture up above I realized that I slept on the same side through the night. I just didnt have the pressure on my hips for example that causes me to eventually turn over. I am not a back sleeper but I have caught myself comfortably nodding off while on my back.

nickgann
10-25-2013, 23:28
Head over to underquilts.com and talk to Dave Mehaffey. He doesn't list hammocks as part of his product line yet...but he made me and a friend each our own hammocks with zip in liners and 4 season tarps. I Won't give you a price but you may luck up with him and he makes custom products that are fantastic.

Poedog
10-27-2013, 00:07
You can pick a Warbonnet Traveler for $60. Good base to build on if you don't DIY.

Tri-Pod Bob
10-27-2013, 08:13
I'm 6'1" and about 170 lbs. & a side sleeper I caught the "hammock bug" this past June & got a HH Explorer in July. I set it up in the woods behind the house & have slept in it for about 75% of the time since then. Just recently back from a 9 day hike here in New England & all I can say is that the Hennessy is perfect for someone just getting into hanging due to the minimal "fiddle factor". On the hike, I was able to set up/break down anywhere & very quickly. I did upgrade the stock tarp to a HH Hex (bought 4 of Dutch's side pull outs for it, too) for the extra space/coverage. I like the option of setting it up in "porch" mode for cooking, etc. during bad weather & for better view/ventilation during good weather. That being said, the HH is only slightly lighter than my old EMS bivy tent. BUT......the quality of sleep I get is so much better now, that I'll only go to ground if absolutely necessary for safety reasons. The Hammock Forums has a lot of opportunities for quality used gear & a plethora of experienced folks to help you out! While hiking, my camo BIAS Weight Weenie (11oz.) & 3 season 3/4 UQ arrived. Paid $120. Yesterday, I bought a "like new" camo Hammock Gear full size Incubator 0* UQ for $210 to help get me thru these cold winters here. Welcome to the "hanging" world & hope to see ya on HF!

winger
10-27-2013, 09:15
Save your money for a Warbonnet hammock. You'll thank me later.
http://warbonnetoutdoors.com

lilricky
10-27-2013, 20:55
I would go to hammockforums.net, find a organized hang near you, and try out some hammocks.

Philby
10-29-2013, 14:38
I would highly recommend the DD Travel Hammock. It's versatile enough to be able to bivy on the ground in the event you can't hang. (The base is waterproof.)
The best review at youtube is for the 2010 model, I don't believe it's changed all that much, if at all: search dd hammock video review and scroll down to 2010 dd travel hammock review, 9:22 minutes. The last time I checked it was $99.
I hope you find the best one for your section-hike, Mate.

Shonryu
11-02-2013, 00:38
Save up your money and get a Darien UL from Randy at Dream Hammocks. At 13.2oz including straps and suspension your not going to find a lighter hammock anywhere. :P

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2013, 10:46
Nice find...

http://www.dream-hammock.com/DarienUL.html

T.S.Kobzol
11-02-2013, 16:08
$100 is not enough so start from there. :-)

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur

Trebor66
11-02-2013, 21:11
I'm pretty new to hamocking as well so I'll let others recommend different set ups etc. However, I'm a big proponent to trying out things in my backyard BEFORE using them for the first time on the trail. There is a definite learning curve to setting up a hammock and this is best overcome in controlled conditions.

aficion
11-02-2013, 22:12
My advice for switching to hammocking with a $100.00 budget is wait for summer or move way south.

Kia Kaha
11-03-2013, 08:46
I would go to hammockforums.net, find a organized hang near you, and try out some hammocks.

+1 to that, all hammocks hang just a little different and every individual has a preference. Recommendations you are getting here are based on what works for them, will that work for you? Maybe, maybe not, but if you gave up on your SMD solo, don't you want to be 100% sure this time? Take your time and get the one that works for you. It will be worth the extra money even if you need to buy the hammock, then the bugnet, then the tarp, etc. based on your finances. I have several and have been happy to let interested people try them, I have had 4 different hammocks from Warbonet, a light owl from Widerness logics, a Hennesey, a JRB Bridge, and like I said, they are all different. Try them out and get what works for you. You will also be happy if you just go with an underquilt as they work much better and are more comfortable than using a pad. Good luck!