PDA

View Full Version : foot neuropathy

squeezebox
10-19-2013, 20:49
In an accident I have a cut nerve half way up my left calf, and have the subsequent neuropathy you would expect this injury to cause. I bought a heavier pair of leather boots, put in good insoles. I like the ankle support and the support from a stiff sole. Much less discomfort than knock around the house tennis shoes. So my question is, anyone else out there with foot neuropathy ? And what did you find successful ?

SouthMark
10-19-2013, 22:07
I have neuropathy in the outside of my foot from surgery in my right thigh and I cannot stand to wear shoes. The only thing that has helped me is a drug called Gabapentin (generic name) prescribed by my neurologist and sandals. During the winter months I just wear socks with the sandals. So the next time you see a dork wearing socks with sandals it just may be a medical necessity. :)

Trailweaver
10-20-2013, 03:59
I also have neuropathy (both feet and also my right leg from the knee down). Mine (right leg) is also from surgery. When the pain is really bad, I take lyrica, a drug designed to treat nerve pain. I take a very low dose, but it works. Usually diabetics take a much higher dose than I take - it seems to be very subjective, so start low and see how much you will need. I also took it during the time I had shingles, which was on my face and neck. It was the only thing that worked, and I felt very fortunate that a doctor knew enough to prescribe it for shingles, as several did not know. The only side effect I have had is drowsiness (not a problem as I take it at bedtime) and weight gain (a definite problem, but I exercise more).

5th
11-07-2013, 18:33
I have neuropathy in the outside of my foot from surgery in my right thigh and I cannot stand to wear shoes. The only thing that has helped me is a drug called Gabapentin (generic name) prescribed by my neurologist and sandals. During the winter months I just wear socks with the sandals. So the next time you see a dork wearing socks with sandals it just may be a medical necessity. :)

I can't speak to the neuropathy - my problems are in my knees. But I can say that where I live (Eugene, Oregon) wool socks with Birkenstocks are a fashion statement. No one would look twice at you. I wear them to the office. :)

Sheriff Cougar
11-11-2013, 20:10
In an accident I have a cut nerve half way up my left calf, and have the subsequent neuropathy you would expect this injury to cause. I bought a heavier pair of leather boots, put in good insoles. I like the ankle support and the support from a stiff sole. Much less discomfort than knock around the house tennis shoes. So my question is, anyone else out there with foot neuropathy ? And what did you find successful ? I have neuropathy on the bottoms of both feet and my toes. A side effect from chemo that I had where it caused damage to the nerves. It comes and goes and should go away completely (so I have been told). When I hike or walk I can't feel the bottoms of my feet and it feels like they are burning. I just wear good insoles and comfortable shoes and live with it. Not sure if this is anywhere close to your situation or not but good luck.