PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 3 day hike in Georgia

kabel
10-20-2013, 21:47
a friend and i are hiking 3 days late November and looking for suggestions about best entry/exit. we'll have 3 full days and then will need to get shuttle back to car the morning of day 4. thanks in advance.

Ox97GaMe
10-20-2013, 22:26
depending on how many miles/day you want to hike, these are probably your easiest shuttle options.
1) Unicoi Gap to Neels Gap
2) Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap

Trailweaver
10-21-2013, 01:49
Call the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega or Joyce and Sally in Hiawassee - all are reliable and reasonable. There are others, but I have used both of these and I know they show up when they say they will and don't charge too much.

Engine
10-21-2013, 06:34
With 3 full days and a morning I would consider the stretch between Neels and Dick's Creek Gap. It's just under 40 miles and comfortably doable in that time frame while offering some challenging trail and a few great views.

blue indian
10-21-2013, 16:24
If you are open to trails other than the AT, the cohutta wilderness is a nice area to check out

glenlawson
10-23-2013, 23:21
I'm taking a three day hike at about the same time, weekend before Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about Amicalola to Woody or Neel's

MuddyWaters
10-24-2013, 20:33
I would suggest that the trail grade, and views are better just a few miles north in NC.

Winding Stair gap to NOC. 27 miles. Leave vehicle at NOC, shuttle to Winding stair gap, and hike back. Hitting the towers and balds for the views. Eat at NOC when you get there before departing for home.

Last Call
10-24-2013, 21:22
Approach Trail to Neel Gap....classic!

waasj
10-27-2013, 11:55
Approach to Neels or Tesnatee. Standing Indian is also a good option if you are open to hiking in NC, just over the line. Several access points that might eliminate a shuttle.

msumax1985
11-16-2013, 14:42
I second the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega.They are closest to Woody Gap, mile 21. Your could start at Springer, or the Approach trail and get however far you can, then they can pick you up. Springer to Neel Gap is a pretty standard three day trip. Hiker Hostel services all gaps in that area. You can call them for ideas.

grateful 2
11-16-2013, 17:46
If you are open to trails other than the AT, the cohutta wilderness is a nice area to check out+1 if you wear tennis shoes for the river fords. You will have it to yourselves, and the slot canyons are absolutely beautiful.

JessetheViking
12-01-2013, 21:03
I just did amicolola to woody gap the weekend before thanksgiving, it took me two full days to get there. It was the first time this flatlander hiked in the mountains and it kicked my ass! Kneels gap is definatly doable in 3 days from amicolola. The sobo hikers I met did it in two days!