PDA

View Full Version : Campsites near Glassmine Gap ?

snowman2
10-21-2013, 05:13
I am planning a short hike through the Albert Mountain area and was looking for a campsite. I was looking at staying around the Long Branch Shelter to throw a tent, but it does not look like there is any area around the shelter to stay.

I read on a thread posted in 2010 there might be a campsite just off the AT at Glassmine Gap along the Long Branch Trail. Does anyone know of one or any info about tent sites at the Long Branch Shelter would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Snowman....

SouthMark
10-21-2013, 07:12
We stayed at a nice site on the LBT a few years ago. I don't remember exactly how far down from Glassimine gap but do not think it was very far. It was on the left beside Long Branch.

daddytwosticks
10-21-2013, 07:16
There are a few tent sites at the Long Branch Shelter. The type that are dug out of the hill side since it's kind of steep at the shelter site. If you hike further on to Glassmine Gap and go a bit (couple hundred yards maybe) down the Long Branch side trail, there are some nice spots near the creek. Beautiful area. Have a great hike. :)

snowman2
10-21-2013, 13:16
Thank you so much. I just need a small spot for a 1 1/2 man tent to fit and my partner is using a hammock so he doesn't count, ha......I was looking at all the pics around the shelter and did not see much. Thank you again for the info.....

Stalking Tortoise
10-21-2013, 14:56
My buddy and I took the side trail downhill at Glassmine Gap and had plenty of room for two tents next to the stream. It was a great place for a small campfire and the last night of our Springer - Winding Stair Gap hike.

snowman2
10-21-2013, 16:59
Stalking Tortoise do you remember how far it is down Long Branch ?

Marta
10-21-2013, 17:35
The Long Branch Trail was my favorite way of accessing the Standing Indian loop. It took me 45 min-1 hour to hike from the parking area to Glassmine Gap. There's a nice campsite about 3/4 of the way up the Long Branch Trail, in a nice little clearing with an apple tree (I think) towards one end of the clearing. Not far uphill from there is a good water source. It can't be more than 10-15 minutes of walking to get from the clearing to Glassmine Gap.

snowman2
10-22-2013, 00:47
Marta, thank you so much, it helps a bunch when planning a trip.

Thanks again for all the responses and info....

Snowman....

Stalking Tortoise
10-22-2013, 07:11
Stalking Tortoise do you remember how far it is down Long Branch ?

It was maybe 5 minutes downhill from the AT to the stream where we camped. No more than 10 minutes. I remember having to walk back up to the AT to make a cell call and it wasn't a big deal. Here's the site where we camped next to the stream.

http://fauster.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-15/i-kqB453v/0/M/IMG_0262-M.jpg

http://fauster.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-15/i-c4hPnmn/0/M/IMG_0264-M.jpg

snowman2
10-23-2013, 01:54
Looks perfect...!!!!! Thank you.....

BirdShooter
10-25-2013, 16:08
There is also a small site at Glassmine Gap on the AT if I remember correctly. But the other options mentioned above are better and have water nearby.

BirdShooter
10-25-2013, 17:08
Here's my dog at Glassmine Gap. The Long Branch Trail comes up to the A.T. behind me to the right.