PDA

View Full Version : :When the frost is on the punkin" :<)>

aficion
10-21-2013, 07:01
First frost means time to make kraut. As a little goes a long way, and it will keep well in cool weather, I frequently take a little along on shorter trips. Great way to get your veggies, vitamins, enzymes, etc. Does anyone here make kraut and/or use it while backpacking. I am especially interested in unusual recipes.

Poedog
10-21-2013, 12:25
I make kraut every week, although I've never taken it out in the backcountry. My go-to recipe is simply to chiffonade 3 or 4 heads of green cabbage, and then pound/squeeze/manhandle that stuff until it breaks down and drops its water. Mix in a little salt, and my favorite, caraway seed. Mix well, and compress the cabbage until its under water, adding a little h20 if needed. Keep it airtight container out on a counter for a week or more, smelling occasionally for that delicious sour stank. Bon Appetit!

Edit: Just noticed you're over in Lexington. I've been in Buena Vista for the last few weeks spending precious time with a sick family member. Been sleeping in the woods behind the house; got damn cold last night huh?

aficion
10-21-2013, 12:35
I make kraut every week, although I've never taken it out in the backcountry. My go-to recipe is simply to chiffonade 3 or 4 heads of green cabbage, and then pound/squeeze/manhandle that stuff until it breaks down and drops its water. Mix in a little salt, and my favorite, caraway seed. Mix well, and compress the cabbage until its under water, adding a little h20 if needed. Keep it airtight container out on a counter for a week or more, smelling occasionally for that delicious sour stank. Bon Appetit!

Merci! Will def try the caraway seed in my next small batch. Sounds very good. Got garlic and lemon juice in current crock. Haven't tried it yet. Needs a few more days.:)

FarmerChef
10-21-2013, 16:10

Edit: Just noticed you're over in Lexington. I've been in Buena Vista for the last few weeks spending precious time with a sick family member. Been sleeping in the woods behind the house; got damn cold last night huh?

I do this and add a bit of dill as well. I've got 6 quarts stewing away as I type and another 2 in the fridge for consumption. Yum!

aficion
10-21-2013, 16:47

Yep, nice out today though. Going to ride up to AT tomorrow and gather apples for Thanksgiving sauce. If you want to go let me know. 5 miles out of BV.

jimmyjam
10-21-2013, 18:27
When the frost is on the pumpkin, I breakout the Wild Turkey.:)

Another Kevin
10-23-2013, 10:50
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock
It's time for kraut and sausages, perhaps a stein of bock?

FarmerChef
10-23-2013, 11:06
Good show, AK!