PDA

View Full Version : We need to do something about the Kent Laundry.

moldy
10-21-2013, 13:50
Last month I did my laundry in Kent Ct. I got ready well before entering the laundry. Had my quarters, soap, and clothing. I dashed in, tossed in the clothing added soap and coins and pushed the start button. Then the nasty lady confronted me, "No hikers Allowed"....What do you mean lady? No hikers allowed she yelled. I said, I'm not a hiker!. Even though I had a backpack. I used to be a hiker, now I'm not. A hiker is somebody who is hiking. I'm doing laundry. I said, go ahead and call the cops...I'm not a hiker. No cops came, she let me finish my laundry. We as hikers can't let her get away with this. She needs to be confronted in a legal manner, so do the authorities in Kent CT. We need them to know that "what they are doing is wrong". It's within your legal rights to let them know that you object to this form of "punishing the entire class for the sins of one person" approach. It's discrimination. We need to confront injustice. Every hiker going through should say something.

John B
10-21-2013, 14:01
Good grief. If you saw the sign, why didn't you just move on to the other facility referenced?

moldy
10-21-2013, 14:08
John B, 2 reasons, the referenced facility is either a sink in a public toilet or the next town. The main reason is that, "this is wrong".

coach lou
10-21-2013, 14:13
Kent Connecticut is for Prep school kids and their parents who come up to visit and shop for antiques. The laundry is only for the peons that service the little brats. Not for you stinkin' hikers. If Marsha had her way the trail would be rerouted thru the Catskills!

coach lou
10-21-2013, 14:16
John B, 2 reasons, the referenced facility is either a sink in a public toilet or the next town. The main reason is that, "this is wrong".
You won't change anything Moldy! Pawling New York, or Cornwall, Ct, or Salisbury have all the same facilities..........and cheaper....

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 14:24
How about we leave it alone? Is that an option?

Deadeye
10-21-2013, 14:26
Spend your money where it's appreciated.

Tennessee Viking
10-21-2013, 14:28
Its a private business. They have the right to refuse service. All you can pretty much do is make a complaint with the nearest BBB or post a review on Google.

Coffee
10-21-2013, 14:36
Its a private business. They have the right to refuse service. All you can pretty much do is make a complaint with the nearest BBB or post a review on Google.

The best approach might be for hikers to avoid the town completely in protest. I'm assuming that there are other businesses in town that want hiker business. If enough hikers boycott the town, peer pressure on the owner of the laundry should do the trick.

Ender
10-21-2013, 14:39
I don't think enough hikers go through the town for it to make any difference.

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 14:40
Its a private business. They have the right to refuse service.
That's really all there is to say...

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2013, 14:44
The hiker ban was already brought to the authorities attention a little while back and it was determined that there was nothing illegal about it. I will try to find the link to the news article once I get home.

As Lou said, Kent is an upscale town that wouldn't be disappointed if hikers stopped showing up. If one of us wins powerball, maybe we can open a much cheaper Laundromat in Kent just to annoy them, but short of that we can just keep walking to the friendlier town of Salisbury, this story isn't even worth out time.

Tuckahoe
10-21-2013, 14:45
Hikers are not a protected class and the owners have the right to refuse service.

It is also clear that hikers do not have enough of an economic impact to make up for the headaches that hikers cause to the owners of the laundry. Its not as though a boycott would accomplish anything but relief for the laundry.

max patch
10-21-2013, 14:45
We did this to ourselves. Inappropriate hiker behavior caused this businesswoman to chase away paying customers. After what hikers put her through, if I ran the place I'd ban hikers too.

Alligator
10-21-2013, 14:53
A thread on this topic was previously closed.