PDA

View Full Version : Calling all potential angels.....can you help out a little man?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 14:43
BUDDY BACKPACKER is a five-year old thruhiker currently approaching Bland VA. His folks would like him to enjoy Halloween, as this year he really "gets it" and wants to be a Pirate. Obviously trick-or-treating is problematic on the trail. My thought is that we, a hiking community, get together to somehow create a successful halloween for this little guy.

I'm not familiar with the area where he'll be, so I'm hoping some local service providers can give some ideas and possibilities. I can relay info to Mom & Dad as to where they need to be, who/when shuttles or lodging can be arranged or provided, etc. Does your community have a party for kids? Can you host a trick or treat evening?

For those of you unfamiliar with Buddy, here's an into....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RG1-X0dJwhI

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p206x206/644107_10200795981049301_22497715_n.jpg

What can we do?

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 15:08
That would be cool... I'd love to see the little guy have a fun Halloween, but his parent's site is just disgusting to me. All that nonsense about wanting to live purely and teach their son values... Right next to the 'keep me hiking' donation prompt? I'll pass.

If they want him to have a normal Halloween all they have to do is pop into a town that night, why is that so hard?

hikerboy57
10-21-2013, 15:12
That would be cool... I'd love to see the little guy have a fun Halloween, but his parent's site is just disgusting to me. All that nonsense about wanting to live purely and teach their son values... Right next to the 'keep me hiking' donation prompt? I'll pass.

If they want him to have a normal Halloween all they have to do is pop into a town that night, why is that so hard?
i dont understand. the parents dont know exactly where he is? i thought they were hiking with him.

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 15:15
I'm not sure what you mean; I'm just saying they can plan on a hotel that night in a town with a decent residential area and go trick or treating...

I just have a distaste for the whole 'I'll make a website and solicit donations to afford my hike' fad going on right now. I can't afford to thru hike either but that's my problem, not anyone else's.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 15:26
Yes they know where he is....yes they are with him. What they don't know is where they will be on Halloween...but we're working on zeroing in on a destination to facilitate this for Buddy.

Also, I had forgotten that Andrea (Mom) has the car, so a shuttle is not necessary in these plans. But a place to celebrate, preferably with lodging for the night would be great.

I suppose they could just "pop into town", but a warm welcome by some locals who could guide them through their neighborhood or invite them to a party would be much more special...and safe.

Please, if you cannot be positive with this, keep it to yourself. I don't want to be rude, but the point here is to contact and confer with those who want to help (thus the thread title) and not to debate whether it is or isn't a worthy endeavor. Please help...don't hinder.

Is it so hard to just do something nice for a 5 year old boy?

ChinMusic
10-21-2013, 15:36
BUDDY BACKPACKER is a five-year old thruhiker currently approaching Bland VA. His folks would like him to enjoy Halloween, as this year he really "gets it" and wants to be a Pirate.

Pirate, eh? Reminds me of this cute commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gvi3H45oels

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 15:41
Pirate, eh? Reminds me of this cute commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gvi3H45oels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gvi3H45oels[/QUOTE)

That's adorable

FarmerChef
10-21-2013, 15:44
Pirate, eh? Reminds me of this cute commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gvi3H45oels

Now that was funny!

I wish I could help, Teacher, but I'm afraid Bland is a bit far away from our neck of the woods. It is, however, plenty close to several towns down there. I'm sure they'll be able to find something.

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 15:44
Well I'd think you'd need to know where you're talking about before you start soliciting help to set something up. I'm sure if you give an idea of the town, or several towns, they expect to be near someone will step up with either advice of how to make it a fun night or even help to do so... I don't think your idea is unreasonable.

But perhaps we should all just make sizable donations to their website instead? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
10-21-2013, 15:45
BUDDY BACKPACKER is a five-year old thruhiker currently approaching Bland VA. His folks would like him to enjoy Halloween, as this year he really "gets it" and wants to be a Pirate. Obviously trick-or-treating is problematic on the trail. My thought is that we, a hiking community, get together to somehow create a successful halloween for this little guy.

I'm not familiar with the area where he'll be, so I'm hoping some local service providers can give some ideas and possibilities. I can relay info to Mom & Dad as to where they need to be, who/when shuttles or lodging can be arranged or provided, etc. Does your community have a party for kids? Can you host a trick or treat evening?

For those of you unfamiliar with Buddy, here's an into....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RG1-X0dJwhI

he also has a webpage www.buddybackpacker.com (http://www.buddybackpacker.com)

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p206x206/644107_10200795981049301_22497715_n.jpg

What can we do?
Damascus has a big to do at the First Baptist church on the 31st. it's called trunk or treat

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 15:52
LW....this sounds like what I have in mind. What is a trunk or treat? I was thinking Damascus would be great, but I still have to see where they're going to be.

MD....please stop being a butthead about the donation thing...we all get that you disapprove, but this is about him, not you.

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 15:56
Trunk or treat means rather than knocking on doors you walk from car to car in a parking lot and each car is handing out candy... Kinda like a trick or treat swap meet.

I haven't been called a 'butthead' in a long time, thanks for that. :)

FarmerChef
10-21-2013, 16:01
Not to steal, LW's thunder at responding to your question, T&S a Trunk-or-Treat in our town is where we gather at the community center and everyone totally decorates their cars, including the trunks with anything from animatronic singing skeletons to strobe lights and jack-o-lanterns, to, you name it. There's also voting on who's trunk was the best. And, everyone hands out candy at each car. We even have a less scary kids walk that has candy in a very boo-friendly grave yard through the community center garden. The Lions club comes out and gives away free swag to raise awareness for their causes. In short, it's a blast. Of course, we like our parties up here so everyone in town goes all out on decorating and we throng the streets to collect our candy.

I imagine Damascus enjoys Halloween as much as our little town. They would have a blast there.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 16:01
Trunk or treat means rather than knocking on doors you walk from car to car in a parking lot and each car is handing out candy... Kinda like a trick or treat swap meet.

That actually sounds cool....like a tailgate party. It fits all the bills...gathering, candy, celebration....and in Damascus I'm sure it's a very friendly and inviting atmosphere.

I haven't been called a 'butthead' in a long time, thanks for that. :)

Glad I could be of service...and I truly appreciate the explanation.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 16:06
FC...If only they were in the north on their Shenandoah section....I'd definitely send them your way. I've seen how your town celebrates!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 17:10
Wow...that was easy, sort of.

LW, if this works out then you can officially call yourself a TRAIL ANGEL for having facilitated a happy event for Buddy. (That ought to keep you up nights:))

If all goes well, Buddy & Co should enjoy a 2 day stint at Crazy Larry's in the friendliest town on the AT, a bike ride down the Creeper Trail and a trunk or treat halloween celebration.

Thank you one and all......but if it doesn't work out, I'LL BE BACK!!!

Hill Ape
10-21-2013, 17:14
turns out lone wolf is a big softy, who would have ever thunk it

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 17:15
turns out lone wolf is a big softy, who would have ever thunk it

Kids are not entitled hikers....what's not to love?

Lone Wolf
10-21-2013, 17:20
Wow...that was easy, sort of.

LW, if this works out then you can officially call yourself a TRAIL ANGEL for having facilitated a happy event for Buddy. (That ought to keep you up nights:))

If all goes well, Buddy & Co should enjoy a 2 day stint at Crazy Larry's in the friendliest town on the AT, a bike ride down the Creeper Trail and a trunk or treat halloween celebration.

Thank you one and all......but if it doesn't work out, I'LL BE BACK!!!
let me know if they'll need a ride to damascus. i'll make it work

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 17:36
Wolf, you're the best....thanks. I'm trying to arrange a Creeper Trail ride on 10/30 or 11/1...maybe you'll be their shuttler and get a "flying hug" from Buddy....it's a wonderful thing!

HikerMom58
10-21-2013, 18:48
Wolf, you're the best....thanks. I'm trying to arrange a Creeper Trail ride on 10/30 or 11/1...maybe you'll be their shuttler and get a "flying hug" from Buddy....it's a wonderful thing!

Aww...love this picture Teach....
Well this turned out to be a HAPPY thread!! :sun There's nothing more to add. :D WTG... LW!!

Andrea told me that D's parents are sending them costumes for Halloween .... sure hope they got the memo that he wants to be a pirate. ;)

Hey- MDSection12..HM here in case you didn't figure it out already! Teach, MDSection12 is a cool guy, not a butthead. He is just being himself.. a lil different from how we would respond to this thread....BUT... it's all good!! :>) Nice to see you around MDS12.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 18:58
Now, now, I never said MD was a butthead....I said he was ACTING like a butthead. There is a subtle, but distinct difference there! ;)We all have our moments.....

HikerMom58
10-21-2013, 19:18
Now, now, I never said MD was a butthead....I said he was ACTING like a butthead. There is a subtle, but distinct difference there! ;)We all have our moments.....

I stand corrected... sorry teach. :( No one is a butthead.. I know better than that. There is a HUGE difference!! I like you... you are AWESOME!! We all love the lil guy... Such a sweetie!! Thanks for thinking about him and arranging all this for them. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 19:27
You've met him....how could I not?

HikerMom58
10-21-2013, 20:05
You've met him....how could I not?

You've never "met" MDSection12?? He has been around, even in the Old Cafe, towards the end.....right MDSection12??? He was around for Illabelle's famous thread too.... :p

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 20:08
I meant Buddy, buy hey, I'll take a flying hug from MD....unless he's bigger than me in which case I'd get knocked down, and be hurt, and.......

HikerMom58
10-21-2013, 20:17
I meant Buddy, buy hey, I'll take a flying hug from MD....unless he's bigger than me in which case I'd get knocked down, and be hurt, and.......

I would LOVE to see that flying hug but skip the knock down part. :P Ha Ha... :D

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 20:40
Yeah....I could skip that part too...

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 21:08
My wife doesn't accept that distinction! :p

It's all good. As I said, I'm all for helping the little guy out. Hell maybe I'm wrong about the parents, but it's become common on here and creating threads like this certainly does push traffic to their site... Food for thought. (But I won't belabor it anymore.)

HM - I did not know that. Glad to see you're still around. I forgot about hiking for the summer for a number of reasons... Now that fall is here I've got itchy feet so I find myself on WB again. :)

It's funny that this thread got moved to 'straight forward' just as it totally went off the rails. :banana

MDSection12
10-21-2013, 21:10
After the NORO thread I only 'bump fists' with hikers. :p

Teacher & Snacktime
10-21-2013, 21:19
It got moved to Straight Forward? I wonder why....I guess to keep it on track, though that was never my expectation. I just didn't want do deal with naysaying. But I have to say that I'm very happy with its progress and result. Thank you all.

HikerMom58
10-21-2013, 21:23
After the NORO thread I only 'bump fists' with hikers. :p

I LOVE you MDSection12....ha ha!!! :p Thanks for the kind words too... right back at ya!! ;) That itchy feet syndrome will bring you back around. :D

This song seems appropriate right about now... for everyone on WB!!! :banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh_mNZVUg8

Teacher & Snacktime
10-22-2013, 18:07
I just reopened this to give a final update to those interested:

Buddy & Family will be enjoying Halloween in Damascus, as well as that wonderful bike ride down the Creeper Trail. I know they'll have a great time, and the little Pirate will truly enjoy the first Halloween he's really cognizant of.

Thank you all for your help...I means a lot to both Snacktime and myself that this little guy continue to feel the happiness, excitement and friendship he's experienced so far on the trail.

Again, thanks.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-31-2013, 17:55
For those interested in the result of our efforts:

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1394259_389736394493693_890202367_n.jpghttps://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/523555_389729911161008_361747943_n.jpg