PDA

View Full Version : Section south of Damascus

mschoger
10-21-2013, 22:30
2 weeks ago I spent the week hiking NOBO out of Damascus to VA 670. Great weather and even better POIs. Grayson Highlands State Park was amazing! Anyway, I fell in love with Damascus and am considering heading back there next October. The plan would be getting a ride south about 60-70 miles and hiking back in to Damascus. Is this a good hike? Are there some good views and waypoints? I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the 60 miles north of Damascus but does it have it's own personality worth hiking. Thanks for any thoughts/info.

Launcher

The Solemates
10-21-2013, 22:51
yes, its a great stretch. you probably find it hard to believe, but yes its just as good as the 60-70 north of damascus - and especially so if you can extend this trip a bit and make it 90 miles to carver's gap.

stranger
10-22-2013, 06:09
Yup if you start at Carvers you can see the Roan Highlands which I prefer to the relatively short Grayson Highlands

Tennessee Viking
10-22-2013, 08:23
Just depends on the immediate section you are on for views.

Putting you 60-70 miles or so south puts you around 19E to Carvers Gap/Roan Mtn area. Carvers to 19E lots of great views of the Roan balds and mountain valleys.

19E to Dennis Cove will be a few waterfalls and small ridgelines. Only downside is going past a number of private properties around Buck Mtn.

Dennis Cove to US 321 has good views of the gorge and Laurel Fork Falls. Potato Top is a unmarked trail right before the rock stairs that climbs high above the falls. Climb that to a great straight view of the gorge. The climb up Pond is a tough one but has some decent views going up along the crest.

321 to TN 91. Has great lakeside views along Watauga. After Wilbur Dam Road, you will have some above the lake. Then its rolling ridgeline to TN91. Then Grindstaff's grave is a great photo op.

TN 91 to Damascus. Some views of Holston Lake but pretty much just wooded rolling ridgeline into Damascus.

***No camping in between US 321 till Wilbur Dam Road

FarmerChef
10-22-2013, 10:11
I loved this section. The falls at Laurel Falls are beautiful, just be careful! Deceptively calm water looks perfect for swimming but don't do it. Big hydraulic current.

From TN91 to Damascus there are some views if you go when the leaves are just budding or off the trees, think early spring. Otherwise, TV is spot on about it being rolling ridgeline. If you're a fast-ish hiker you can make that stretch in a day but there are ample shelters and plenty of places to make camp. A two day split makes for two easy hikes.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2013, 15:01
Laurel Falls is one of the prettiest waterfalls on the entire AT but take care navigating the rocky terrain around the falls, especially if it's wet.

Rt. 321 to Damascus is the easiest 40 mile continuous stretch on the AT in the South.

bigcranky
10-24-2013, 08:38
I would hike this section going south out of Damascus. It's a pleasant ridgeline walk in the woods for the first few days. 50 miles gets you to Kincora Hostel (highly recommended), another 25 gets you to US 19E and Mountain Harbour hostel. Either of those places can arrange a ride back to Damascus for you, or you can make arrangements in advance to call a shuttle in Damascus to come get you.

If you keep going past 19E, you'll climb waaaaay up into the Roan Highlands, which is a pretty spectacular way to end the hike. Another 20 miles gets you to Hughes Gap, just past Roan Mountain, another reasonable spot for a pickup.

wornoutboots
10-24-2013, 10:15
Great Section!! +1 on starting or ending at Carvers or even Hughes Gap to see Roan High knob shelter. For some reason I love the setting of that shelter. :o)

Kerosene
10-24-2013, 10:35
If you do decide to go SOBO, you might consider staying at Mountain Harbour B&B. If the next day has good weather, then have them shuttle you to Carvers Gap near the top of Roan and slackpack the 15 miles over the Balds and Humps back to the B&B at US-19E.

Studlintsean
10-24-2013, 11:13
I would hike this section going south out of Damascus. It's a pleasant ridgeline walk in the woods for the first few days. 50 miles gets you to Kincora Hostel (highly recommended), another 25 gets you to US 19E and Mountain Harbour hostel. Either of those places can arrange a ride back to Damascus for you, or you can make arrangements in advance to call a shuttle in Damascus to come get you.

If you keep going past 19E, you'll climb waaaaay up into the Roan Highlands, which is a pretty spectacular way to end the hike. Another 20 miles gets you to Hughes Gap, just past Roan Mountain, another reasonable spot for a pickup.

How is this walk in the December time frame? Im sure it will be cold but dont have an elevation profile map in front of me. Im assuming the elevation is much lower than heading North out of Damascus? Ill be in the area for a week and might try to spend a few days wandering. Thanks in advance.

FarmerChef
10-24-2013, 11:20
You're at about 3000 feet for much of the way south of Damascus. That is, until you start hitting the balds. Then you're up in the 5,000 or so foot range for a while, at least down to Roan.

Studlintsean
10-24-2013, 11:33
You're at about 3000 feet for much of the way south of Damascus. That is, until you start hitting the balds. Then you're up in the 5,000 or so foot range for a while, at least down to Roan.

Thanks Farmerchef. That is what I was thinking. Temps in the 20s range (this can of course vary)?

bigcranky
10-24-2013, 11:43
In December? I would expect lows in the teens and highs maybe in the 40s, and be prepared for lows down to 0 and highs in the 60s. I've had all that in December in that area. Later in December will probably be colder, but it can vary dramatically. Check the forecast on NOAA right before you leave.

Once you hit the open balds climbing south out of 19E, wind may become a major factor. There's no place to hide for much of the hike from Doll Flat to Carver Gap, with the exception of a couple of miles in some woods. There's just something about temps in the 20s and a 50 knot wind that just takes your breath away.... :)

The Solemates
10-24-2013, 11:45
for weather queries, heres our december trip last year: http://www.amongnature.blogspot.com/2013/01/roan-highlands-tn.html

Studlintsean
10-24-2013, 12:13
Thanks again for the updates. Ill likely be in the area for 5-7 days around Xmas and was thinking I could just play it by ear. I would likely only do 3 days w/ 2 nights (40 miles or so) so I could pick the best weather. I will watch the weather. I have a 20 deg WM bag but im not sure I would want to test it down to 0 degrees if it was a very cold week.

Kerosene
10-24-2013, 12:17
Once you hit the open balds climbing south out of 19E, wind may become a major factor. There's no place to hide for much of the hike from Doll Flat to Carver Gap, with the exception of a couple of miles in some woods. There's just something about temps in the 20s and a 50 knot wind that just takes your breath away.... :)One of my most memorable AT experiences...Late October 2008, a day after 6" of the first snow of the winter blanketed the balds. The day dawned crystal clear but C-O-L-D, with my mini-thermometer registering 10 degrees at Carver's Gap. In addition, the wind was incredible. Being a golfer, I estimated 40 mph sustained winds, with 70 mph gusts that frequently rocked me all the way across the balds. I was wearing every piece of clothing I carried, with sunglasses, watchcap and hood. It was a bit scary but really quite fun, although I made sure to stick to the trail. I would have liked to have visited Overmountain Shelter, but it was so dang cold that I was afraid of staying put for very long. My eyes were watering from the cold wind as I ascended Big Hump, and I was forced to rest behind a big rock out of the wind. By the time I got to Little Hump the wind had abated a bit and there was a group of school kids frolicking on the rocks on the verge of frostbite I'm sure. Great day, with a great photo from a sheltered section between Jane and Grassy Bald:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/tn12-icy_trail.jpg

Blissful
10-24-2013, 13:18
First forty miles south of Damascus, lots of little PUDs to cross over. I agree about trying to hit the Roan Highlands, that is worth it. Laurel Creek falls is nice though

sore ankle
11-26-2013, 15:11
Did this section as part of a longer hike last spring. It was great.