PDA

View Full Version : Interview for thru-hikers!

Weasel2013
10-22-2013, 09:03
Hi everyone,

My name is Weasel or Rabbit (it got switched on the trail) and I completed a thru-hike in 2013 for college credit. One thing I did for this credit was to interview hikers about their experience in order to determine why some people are able to finish. I also want to interview people after the trail so if you thru-hiked or attempted to I would love it if you could answer the following questions.

1. What year did you hike?

2. Did you complete your hike?

3. If not why did you get off the trail?

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? What did you think about?

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part?

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience?

7. What's your trail name?

The answers can be anything and they don't need to be perfect just the truth. If you have any questions for me I would be glad to answer them. Thanks so much for this last bit of trail magic!

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 09:37
No, SOBO- Big K to Wind Gap, Pa
I got a stress fracture (shin) and had a bullseye rash- stress fracture turned out to be very real- rash was never resolved but likely a spider bite.
n/a
I honestly can't say there was a hardest part- other than having to leave.
I enjoyed 95% of my hike, including the underall experience. The 5% I didn't enjoy, I learned a lot from.
On that hike my trail name was Willie Nelson- named by Sharkbait from Athens, GA. Given for my red bandana and pigtails.

Cro-Mag
10-22-2013, 11:55
Hey Rabbit! It's Salad Days, glad to help you out.

- Hell yes!

- n/a

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? What did you think about?
- This is not meant to sound like bragging, but I left Georgia with the goal of reaching Katahdin. I saw it as there being no other option, apart from an injury or family emergency. I knew the hike would be 90% mental. A year before leaving I began preparing mentally for the hike. Everyday morning I would get to work and visualize having to hike 15-20 miles, no matter what. A year of doing that helped a great deal. I also read a few books about long distance journeys and the mental strain it proposes.

- The hardest part was the last 280 miles of Maine. The anticipation of reaching my goal was near, my body was sore and I was sick of putting on wet, cold clothes.

- Yes, very much. I would not thru hike the AT a second time though. I would, however, do another long trail.

- Salad Days

Statue
10-22-2013, 12:02
1. 2013
2. yes
4. I didn't have too many hard times but simply put I had to finish. No matter how hard of a day I was having not finishing would have been, for me, extremely hard to accept. I was all in from the first step, and I knew it.
5. The hardest part was the preparation, once I was out there it was easy.
6. Most defiantly, I made life long friends and will be attempting thru hikes for the rest of my life
7. Statue

Weasel2013
10-22-2013, 14:26
Thanks so much for answering! I'm sorry to hear about what happened on your hike. I hope you have better luck on any furture outdoor adventures.

Weasel2013
10-22-2013, 14:28
That ^^^ is for Just Bill. Statue and Cro-Mag I also really appreciate your answers and am glad you had such awesome hikes!

Malto
10-22-2013, 14:35
1. What year did you hike? 2011 - PCT

2. Did you complete your hike? -yes

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? What did you think about? I had done much harder days prior to my hike so I knew I could get through the day, that is the mental piece.

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part? 500 miles of snow in the Sierra.

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience? Most of it was type 1 fun, many days were type 2 fun (fun after the pain wore off due to a sense of satisfaction.)

7. What's your trail name? Malto

the question of what makes some finish and others quit was intriguing to me during my hike. As I talked with the early survivors in 2011 I found some common qualities, experience, determination, a "prove I can't do it" mentality and many were also enjoyers of type 2 fun activities such as marathons or ultras.

Weasel2013
10-22-2013, 16:37
Awesome thanks for the insight Malto!

Meriadoc
10-22-2013, 17:23
Yes

I performed a self-check of my reasons for hiking. As long as they still existed, I was still going to hike even if the moment felt unbearable.
5. Whether you finished or not what was the hardest part?
Working out a relationship with my hiking partner as the relationship evolved into more. We met on the trail and are still the best of friends.
Tied for most difficult was repeated heat exhaustion during heat waves of 95-100+ that wrecked my body.
Absolutely.
Merry the Hobbit

evyck da fleet
10-22-2013, 17:54
1) 2012 2) Yes 4) Accepting that there will be bad days, maybe even a few in a row and stopping to rest when I realized I was making it hard on myself. Reflected on what caused the hard days in order to prevent them in the future. 5) Hardest part was adapting to life on the trail the first 6-12 days since this was my first overnight hike. 6)Definitely 7)Pacecar

FooFighter'12
10-22-2013, 18:22
1. 2012
2. Yep
4. Although I only looked forward a week at a time and allowed myself to get excited about the little highlights in my guidebook, my goal was 'Katahdin or bust'. And besides, friends back home had a bet on how long I would last but none had me going all the way, so I couldn't let them fools feel any satisfaction in my defeat.
5. There were a few hard parts: walking through three hail storms, catching the norovirus, a bit of a mental breakdown in PA, dehydration in NY during a heat wave(thank god for trail angels leaving water on the trail), but the hardest was walking with Lyme's disease.
6. Oh yeah, would definitely do it again.
7. Foo fighter

ChinMusic
10-22-2013, 18:37
2013 NOBO

Yes

NA

I am very stubborn and goal oriented. I just had a burning desire to finish. Destination trumped Journey in my case, not to diminish the importance of the journey.

Maine for sure. My mental game started to waiver and my body had had about enough.

Emphatically, yes. Was it all fun? No. Fun is easy. It was "better than fun".

ChinMusic

rickb
10-22-2013, 19:17
1. What year did you hike? 1983

2. Did you complete your hike? Yes

3. If not why did you get off the trail? N/A

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? Thought the idea of walking 2000 miles was a rather cool challenge, and had nothing else calling.

What did you think about? Same stuff every 23-year old guy without a job or on-going relationship does. And food.

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part? Only seeing one other Southbounder on the Trail, and him only for a few days. And eating something like 120 tins of sardines.

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience? Yes.

7. What's your trail name? Rick

The answers can be anything and they don't need to be perfect just the truth. If you have any questions for me I would be glad to answer them. Thanks so much for this last bit of trail magic![/QUOTE]

Pressure D
10-24-2013, 22:59
#1 2013
#2 Yes
#3N/A
#4 I waited 36 years to hike the trail, there was no way I would quit. I was having to much fun and had to many great people all around me.
#5 The mid Atlantic states during the heat wave. I was sweating my off.
#6 I loved it!!!!!!
#7 Pressure D

wookinpanub
10-25-2013, 12:20
1. What year did you hike? 1990

2. Did you complete your hike? Dang straight

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? What did you think about? Having lived my whole life in Florida at the time, I was hiking Southbound and thinking about getting closer to home. Also, my dad told me I wouldn't last 2 weeks out there. No way I was quitting after that.

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part? Intense solitude. I was a very early southbounder (May) and NEVER had a hiking partner. I didn't share a shelter until Grafton Notch. No sense of community or friendships like northbounders.

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience? I wouldn't trade it for the world.

7. What's your trail name? Wookinpanub (youtube "Buckwheat sings" by Eddie Murphy)

Different Socks
10-25-2013, 14:49
1. What year did you hike? 1992

2. Did you complete your hike? Yes!

3. If not why did you get off the trail? Did get off for 3 weeks to allow shin splints to heal

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? What did you think about? Thoughts of a hot dinner, a dry and empty shelter, that i'd never really accomplished anything in my life. Thought about--anything and everything!

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part? Smokies and 3 feet of snow in May.

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience? Yes!! I will be doing it again in 2 years, this time from Florida to Maine to GA, to ME, back to GA, --1 1/2 years of hiking!!

7. What's your trail name? Different Socks and still is.

Storm
10-25-2013, 19:22
1. What year did you hike? 2012

2. Did you complete your hike? No

3. If not why did you get off the trail? Developed severe back pain. After several epidural shots and two MRIs it was finally determined I had a bone spur pressing on a nerve. Had surgery in Jan this year and everything has been going pretty good. Hope to take another shot before I pass.

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part? Trying to hike up hill with severe back pain.

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience? Loved the hike as far as I got. (288 miles)

7. What's your trail name? Storm

Stink Bug
10-25-2013, 19:35

Yes.

N/A

The people I'd met and the encouragement from my girlfriend (we hiked together).

CT in the heatwave, the bugs and thunderstorms. Oh and the amount of rain we had this year!

Absolutely, even the sucky days.

Stink Bug

CarlZ993
10-25-2013, 23:17
Hi everyone,

My name is Weasel or Rabbit (it got switched on the trail) and I completed a thru-hike in 2013 for college credit. One thing I did for this credit was to interview hikers about their experience in order to determine why some people are able to finish. I also want to interview people after the trail so if you thru-hiked or attempted to I would love it if you could answer the following questions.

The answers can be anything and they don't need to be perfect just the truth. If you have any questions for me I would be glad to answer them. Thanks so much for this last bit of trail magic!

1. 2013; NoBo
2. Yes; 3/21 to 8/19 (152 days)
3. N/A
4. I had many friends rooting for my to succeed. I didn't want to let them down. I also hiked with people along the way. One guy in particular, Knightrider, hiked w/ me for 700 miles (NY until Monson, ME; he injured his foot & had to take some zeros there to recover). When I was feeling down, he helped me get through it. I did the same when he was feeling down. It helped greatly. What did I think about? Tomorrow will be better. Sometimes it was. Sometimes it wasn't. But I wasn't going to quit unless I had a cast on something.
5. The hardest part was the really slick rock in VT, NH, & ME. I fell often. Bent 3 poles, broke two others. One trip to the ER to make sure I didn't break my arm. I hated the wet, slick rock. I was fearful of breaking something as I neared the end.
6. Overall, I guess I did. The people made the hike. Met some really quality people on the trail. I was disappointed in the overall beauty of the trail (although it did improve at the end). Lot of boring forest walking. I got spoiled in some of my previous backpacking treks (Western US, Canada, NZ, Chile/Argentina).
7. Zman

GreenTurtle
10-26-2013, 02:00
> What year did you hike?

Well, I hike every year. Depends on which trail you're talking about. ;o)

1. I thru-hiked the AT in 2003, the Wonderland Trail in 2004 and 2005, the Florida Trail/Alabama Trail/Pinhoti Trail/Benton MacKaye Trail to Springer Mountain in 2008, the PCT in 2010, the Camino de Santiago in 2012, and this year I did the Tahoe Rim Trail, Wonderland Trail, and Long Trail.

2. I completed all of them except the first Wonderland Trail attempt.

3. I got off the trail on that first Wonderland Trail attempt because my knees were in agony. Just took things too hard early in the trip then couldn't keep up with my permit schedule. (Stupid permits did me in! I'd have still hobbled around the whole mountain if they let me!)

4. Thinking about good times ahead helps me through hard times in the present. =) I'd think about pretty much everything at some point along the way. Not like I'd think about the same things every single day!

5. Hardest parts....? I'll limit my answers to the AT thru-hike. Physically, the White Mountains kicked me in the butt! Mentally... the last month or so was hardest because I was SO ready to be done with the hike. It couldn't come soon enough!

6. Absolutely. =) Well, okay, the Alabama Trail--Worst Trail Ever (http://www.anotherlongwalk.com/2008/03/id-rather-choke-on-my-own-vomit.html). Anyone who claims otherwise is lying. You couldn't pay me enough money to ever hike that "trail" again. The other trails I enjoyed in various degrees, though. =)

7. Green Turtle on the AT. Green Tortuga on the other trails.

4shot
10-27-2013, 18:28
Hi everyone,

1. What year did you hike? 2010

2. Did you complete your hike? yes

4. If you did finish what kept you going during the hard times? What did you think about? I am goal oriented and stubborn. I knew finishing would give closure whereas quitting would have nagged at me thereafter. Me and my hiking buddies (shoutout to Hedgehog and Hollywood plus others we recruited) spent untold hours compiling a list of the worst songs ever written. I've forgotten most of the list but "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tennille and "When I think of you I touch myself" by the DeVinyls (sp?) were at or near the top of the list.

5. Wether you finished or not what was the hardest part? hiking in NH and Maine is brutal, especially for an older hiker after 1800+ miles. would like to hike that section next time as a SOBO. as someone above said, when it's wet it is especially difficult. and scary at times.

6. Did you enjoy your overall experience? yes!!!!!!!!!!

7. What's your trail name? Stix

The answers can be anything and they don't need to be perfect just the truth. If you have any questions for me I would be glad to answer them. Thanks so much for this last bit of trail magic! for my response, see above.

Starchild
10-27-2013, 18:36
Is this the Rabbit that knows Starchild?

danil411
10-28-2013, 10:33
1. 2013 Nobo
7. Dimples

2. yes

4. I thought of a positive thing I could enjoy at the end of a rough day. Sometimes it was dry clothes, sometimes a food item, a hot shower or a bug free tent. I did this for each rough day.

5. The Whites were toughest from a pure physical standpoint but Central/North PA was the toughest mentally. The 90 degree weather, limited water, rocks, insects and terrain with few rewards made it harder to find that positive thing

6. Yes, it was the best 6.5 months of my life.

jdc5294
10-28-2013, 17:43
1. 2012

2. Yes

3. n/a

4. Relative to everyone else I didn't really have many hard times. I did get giardia very close to Boiling Springs, but my a stroke of fortune that's about an hour from my house so I just rested up for a week then went back out. It was one of the hardest weeks of my life not so much because I was sick but because I was so anxious to get back out there. I was always pretty good with keeping dry, and the worst thing that happened to me was my tent got stolen in Catawba.

5. Going home. But to answer the question like you're looking for, I'd say getting near the end of VA through PA the scenery got a bit repetitive and boring (lots of green).

6. Yes

7. Zoso

OldSoul
11-06-2013, 11:26
1. 2001 & 2003. I am going out again in April 2014.
2. Neither time.
3. Left knee swelling after 80 miles in 2001. Spring blizzard in March 2003 - 2 knee replacements later, I am returning.
4. N/A
5. Weather
6. Loved it.
7. QldSoul now. Don't remember my old one but need something new to reflect my outlook.

Dogwood
11-06-2013, 12:03
I suppose you are referring to the AT only? AT -2006 thru-hike

Damn right.

Got temporarily off the AT(and other thru-hikes) often to visit music venues, museums, botanical gardens, historical and cultural sites, off the AT waterfalls, architectural interests, etc. Never got off a long distance hike to quit for the sake of quitting.

Excellent question! Made the hard times not seemingly that hard by controlling my thinking which helped control my behavior which helped control the urge to quit. This too will pass! I learned to ALWAYS find something to appreciate. Works wonders against getting stuck in the ruts of negativity! I short, I refocused as often as necessary.

5. Whether you finished or not what was the hardest part?
No such thing. I don't think that way.

Immensely! One of the best self actualizing enlightening health inducing experiences I ever had and I enjoy sowing into other people's lives.

Dogwood - named for the white and pink flowered Florida Dogwood Trees found along the AT. Not Dagwood. Not named after a dog's gentilia.

hadacol
11-13-2013, 20:30
1. 2013.

2. Yes, I considered leaving at Harpers Ferry, but it was convenience and off-trail considerations that drove it, not difficulty.

3. N/A.

4. No particular thing kept me going - like any hard thing in life, sometimes you just keep going until it gets better. Moreover, on the most challenging parts (descending Clingmans on ice, and Moosiluake in driving rain) there is really nothing to do but keep going. There were a few places (climbing Old Speck) where I suppose turning around was a viable option, but that is a pretty extreme thing to do on a thru. I thought about everything on the trail - there is no better place to think. I am also an avid bicycle tourist - you have to watch traffic and the road a lot more than you usually have to watch the AT.

5. The hardest times were long periods of heavy rain, particularly when they came in the Whites and rugged parts of Maine.

6. I can't claim every second on the trail was fun, but every single day brought something (usually many, many things) that made it worthwhile.

7. I hiked as "Dundee".