PDA

View Full Version : Where in VA is there a need for a hostel?

skymom
10-22-2013, 09:19
I've had a dream for years to own and run a hiker hostel. Why on earth I would want to open up my home to a bunch of stinky, undernourished, dirty unknown people is beyond me but I love the hiking community and all it's stories, quirks, and personalities. So my question is, where on the trail do you think there is a need for hostels? More specifically in Virginia. I know this is one of the largest states to travel through so I would think there would be a need but I'd love to hear from the through hikers. What are your thoughts on hostels and where needed? :-?

Lone Wolf
10-22-2013, 09:38
Damascus needs a full service hostel with a dog kennel

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 09:41
skymom.... I want to join you in your dream!! :D I want to see what the thru-hikers say!! I would vote for either south of Daleville or north of Daleville near Glasgow & Buena Vista VA. Deer Hunter said something about a home for sale right by the trail near where he lives in Buena Vista, VA. Resupple is really tough through these areas.

skymom
10-22-2013, 09:51
Damascus needs a full service hostel with a dog kennel

I love Damascus! Dogs would definately have to be part of it. We are dog people ourselves and can't imagine being on the trail without them.

FarmerChef
10-22-2013, 09:59
I found a lovely place to stay in Damascus that allowed our dog but it only had capacity for maybe 4 people and wasn't a hostel at all. Having a full service, dog-friendly hostel in Damascus would be great!

What about Waynesboro? The only hostel there is open only between May 21 and June 24 according to my 2012 guide (maybe that's changed).

And, not that the HoJo in Daleville isn't serviceable but a hostel somewhere near there would be great as well.

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 10:01
I love Damascus! Dogs would definately have to be part of it. We are dog people ourselves and can't imagine being on the trail without them.

Awesome! LW showed me a log cabin type home for sale in Damascus that was right by the trail, coming right into Damascus... I LOVED IT!!

I wonder if it is still for sale?? I loved it!! :)

skymom
10-22-2013, 10:20
skymom.... I want to join you in your dream!! :D I want to see what the thru-hikers say!! I would vote for either south of Daleville or north of Daleville near Glasgow & Buena Vista VA. Deer Hunter said something about a home for sale right by the trail near where he lives in Buena Vista, VA. Resupple is really tough through these areas.

Come on Shmaybix! I love the Roanoke area so Daleville wouldn't be far from there. Hubby said it wouldn't take much to convince him to move. (He's the mountain biker, I'm the hiker) Would just have to convince the 10 yr old! :eek:

Lone Wolf
10-22-2013, 10:20
quite a few places for sale in Damascus

Jeff
10-22-2013, 10:28
At the north end of Shenandoah NP I have heard rumors Mike Evans is thinking of selling Terrapin Station Hostel.

Buena Vista - Positive comments this year of Blue Dog Art Cafe/Hostel serving the needs of hikers in town.

South of Daleville - Joe Mitchell is already doing a good job at Four Pines Hostel.

Glasgow - The town has tried very well to make Glasgow hiker friendly, but a full service hostel would probably work.

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 10:33
Come on Shmaybix! I love the Roanoke area so Daleville wouldn't be far from there. Hubby said it wouldn't take much to convince him to move. (He's the mountain biker, I'm the hiker) Would just have to convince the 10 yr old! :eek:

I right with ya skymom! My address is Roanoke but I live 5 miles from where the trail crosses 220 in Daleville... it's great! If your hubby is willing and he's into mountain biking and you are into hiking... this is the place to live. We've got mountain junkies all over the place with plenty of hiking/biking clubs to join. It's fun!!

Now as for the lil guy.. the move might be a lil harder on him. I remember moving when I was a kid... not easy. I believe he would love it here once he made new friends etc...

LW... is that place that you showed me still for sale?? If we had the $$$ that place had my name on it!

skymom
10-22-2013, 11:43
I right with ya skymom! My address is Roanoke but I live 5 miles from where the trail crosses 220 in Daleville... it's great! If your hubby is willing and he's into mountain biking and you are into hiking... this is the place to live. We've got mountain junkies all over the place with plenty of hiking/biking clubs to join. It's fun!!

Now as for the lil guy.. the move might be a lil harder on him. I remember moving when I was a kid... not easy. I believe he would love it here once he made new friends etc...

LW... is that place that you showed me still for sale?? If we had the $$$ that place had my name on it!

Yep, I moved twice when I was a kid. The first one was easier because I was younger but the 2nd was a tough age. If I could get her moved early, it wouldn't be as bad. Plus she loves the outdoors. She's been on a trail since she could walk. She actually hikes barefoot most of the time! LOL

So, maybe a hiker hostel with a place for the dogs, a shop to work on bikes, and shuttles for both......a dream come true!!

slbirdnerd
10-22-2013, 11:51

When I was hiking at Buena Vista in February there was a house with some land for sale right as you turn up the gravel road to the trail head. I think that would be a great spot, very near major freeways (I-64 and I-81).

RED-DOG
10-22-2013, 14:52
Glasgow VA needs a hostel badly, and other hiker services, and also around the linden area would be a great place for a hostel.

Deer Hunter
10-22-2013, 15:08

I would love to be able to buy the house and open a hostel there. Only a hundred yards or so from the trailhead on Rt. 60. The land (239 acres) has been sold but I believe the man held onto the house and maybe 5 acres.

aficion
10-22-2013, 15:09
When I was hiking at Buena Vista in February there was a house with some land for sale right as you turn up the gravel road to the trail head. I think that would be a great spot, very near major freeways (I-64 and I-81).

BV and Glasgow are great candidates. I would be available as part time help/ shuttle driver / hostel sitter/ chief cook and bottle washer/ storehouse of local knowledge / etc. Would actually love to be involved.:)

Deer Hunter
10-22-2013, 15:33
BV and Glasgow are great candidates. I would be available as part time help/ shuttle driver / hostel sitter/ chief cook and bottle washer/ storehouse of local knowledge / etc. Would actually love to be involved.:)

Yes, I would be glad to help out anyway I could.

skymom
10-22-2013, 15:54
Hmmmm, now my wheels are really turning. Looks like I need to take a roadtrip this weekend and do some exploring/scouting around.

10-22-2013, 17:12
WAYNESBORO!!!!! It has like several HALF hostels, needs a full one.
bunk
showers
shuttles
laundry

Trillium
10-22-2013, 17:20
Just be sure you check into zoning, permits needed, etc before you buy so you don't get in the same situation like the people who wanted to open a hostel and the neighbors prevailed on the county not to approve either the zoning or the permits for it.

FooFighter'12
10-22-2013, 17:57
I would say Damascus for sure. Many zero's are taken there and could use an alternative to the church hostel. A fellow thru hiker in 2012 had to stealth camp just outside of town due to his canine friend not being welcomed and personally, I did not have a good experience at that hostel. Not saying that I don't appreciate what they do for hikers because I do. Also, I didn't find hiker services that great there. Now, if I wanted to ride a bicycle.....

Waynesboro would be a great spot for a full service hostel. Offer an evening shuttle to the movies and you are set:)

And the Daleville area would be nice too. While I enjoyed my two nights at the Hojo, I would have preferred to be at a hostel instead of living in fear of the waffle maker nazi.

I liked the Glasgow shelter in town, especially the shower, but that road in to town is terrifying to walk beside. A hostel with shuttle and resupply would be awesome.

I also thought that the Bland area would be a good place for one. There may already be one in that area but I can't remember there being an option.

mountain squid
10-22-2013, 17:58
What are your thoughts on hostels and where needed? :-?My thought is for you to be 100% certain that this is something you really want to do. Hikers are VERY demanding. I always suggest to someone with this notion to be a caretaker at an already open hostel for several seasons and gain valuable experience. You'll find out beforehand if you really want to invest money into this endeavor.

You mention opening up your home to "a bunch of stinky, undernourished, dirty unknown people" and that you "love the hiking community and all it's stories, quirks, and personalities", which is all good and fine. But it is so much more than that. Just imagine spending all day catering to the needs of a bunch of hikers and just when you think you'll get a moment to yourself, another hiker arrives . . . 'Where's my maildrop?' 'When's the next town run?' 'Can I pitch my tent in the back yard?' 'Do you allow work-for-stays?' 'Do you slack pack?' etc, etc . . . . and, of course, there is some other 'emergency' with the original group of hikers which doesn't give you time to answer any of the new hikers questions . . . .

Anyway, just some thoughts. Good Luck and again I highly suggest being a caretaker prior to spending alot of money . . . you might find out it is not as 'glamorous' as it seems.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

aficion
10-22-2013, 18:12
My thought is for you to be 100% certain that this is something you really want to do. Hikers are VERY demanding. I always suggest to someone with this notion to be a caretaker at an already open hostel for several seasons and gain valuable experience. You'll find out beforehand if you really want to invest money into this endeavor.

You mention opening up your home to "a bunch of stinky, undernourished, dirty unknown people" and that you "love the hiking community and all it's stories, quirks, and personalities", which is all good and fine. But it is so much more than that. Just imagine spending all day catering to the needs of a bunch of hikers and just when you think you'll get a moment to yourself, another hiker arrives . . . 'Where's my maildrop?' 'When's the next town run?' 'Can I pitch my tent in the back yard?' 'Do you allow work-for-stays?' 'Do you slack pack?' etc, etc . . . . and, of course, there is some other 'emergency' with the original group of hikers which doesn't give you time to answer any of the new hikers questions . . . .

Anyway, just some thoughts. Good Luck and again I highly suggest being a caretaker prior to spending alot of money . . . you might find out it is not as 'glamorous' as it seems.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Good advice. Almost has to be a "calling". Experience in LDH and hospitality required.

skymom
10-22-2013, 18:14
My thought is for you to be 100% certain that this is something you really want to do. Hikers are VERY demanding. I always suggest to someone with this notion to be a caretaker at an already open hostel for several seasons and gain valuable experience. You'll find out beforehand if you really want to invest money into this endeavor.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Good points mt squid. Definitely would be a lot of work. But living in corporate cubicle world has driven me to the point of insanity. I'm currently in the process of working away from my office job which has sucked the life and soul out of me. Gettin back to what has always kept me grounded in life. I'll look into checking out how others operate and helping out to get a better feel. I love the great advice on this site!

Deer Hunter
10-22-2013, 18:29
Hmmmm, now my wheels are really turning. Looks like I need to take a roadtrip this weekend and do some exploring/scouting around.

If you get around my area, I would be glad to show you around or answer any questions(If possible)you may have.

The Gambler
10-22-2013, 19:05
great advice squid....currently a hosel for sale in NH....and i think the hiker hostel in georgia is looking for a couple to run theirs for a year

Coffee
10-22-2013, 19:29
Good points mt squid. Definitely would be a lot of work. But living in corporate cubicle world has driven me to the point of insanity. I'm currently in the process of working away from my office job which has sucked the life and soul out of me. Gettin back to what has always kept me grounded in life. I'll look into checking out how others operate and helping out to get a better feel. I love the great advice on this site!

Is it possible to make a living running a hiker hostel? I've always assumed not given the seasonality and low rates typically charged. A hostel with capacity for ten hikers charging $25/night and at full capacity for three months of the year (which might be generous) would gross around $22,000. And of course there are expenses involved... and there is liability if ancillary services like shuttles are provided to earn more money.

I've casually looked at properties in Front Royal near the trail so this is an interesting topic.

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 19:36

Your thoughts and feelings are interesting, skymom. I would visit a hostel for sure and find out how they operate. I would visit the Hostel in Hot Springs.. I can't remember the name of it... Not Elmers the other one in Hot Springs.....

Lone Wolf
10-22-2013, 19:53
Is it possible to make a living running a hiker hostel?
hell yeah! 'ol keith shaw made a buttload of $$ off hikers

Cookerhiker
10-22-2013, 19:57

Didn't he get a lot of business from nonhikers as well - hunters, trappers, snowmobilers, all of whom stayed later than hikers. And maybe fishermen in the spring?

aficion
10-22-2013, 20:01

These days this is doable. Location, attitude, business sense, and an otherwise stable financial condition will be major factors. A whole lot of hikers these days enjoy escaping the trail every few days as much as they enjoy being on it. They have the money to take 6 months off, or they wouldn't make it to Damascus, much less points North.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2013, 20:01
Your thoughts and feelings are interesting, skymom. I would visit a hostel for sure and find out how they operate. I would visit the Hostel in Hot Springs.. I can't remember the name of it... Not Elmers the other one in Hot Springs.....

The one run by Chuck Norris and Tigger.

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 20:03
The one run by Chuck Norris and Tigger.

Yes, Cookerhiker.. that one. Hostel at Laughing Heart Lodge... I had to look it up! I heard that one is really run well. :)

Tuckahoe
10-22-2013, 20:38
The first mistake would be placing the focus of a hiker hostel on thru-hikers, over that of weekenders, section hikers and other sorts of outdoor/eco-tourists that are more likely to spend more money.

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 20:57
The first mistake would be placing the focus of a hiker hostel on thru-hikers, over that of weekenders, section hikers and other sorts of outdoor/eco-tourists that are more likely to spend more money.

Some thru-hikers are "loaded"... just have to make sure you cater to "those" thru-hikers!! ;) Just kiddin!! I agree with what you are sayin...

aficion
10-22-2013, 21:02
Some thru-hikers are "loaded"... just have to make sure you cater to "those" thru-hikers!! ;) Just kiddin!! I agree with what you are sayin...

If you cater to all prospective paying customers, and you are far enough up the trail to avoid the penniless wannabees, you got a shot.

hobbs
10-22-2013, 21:33
great advice squid....currently a hosel for sale in NH....and i think the hiker hostel in georgia is looking for a couple to run theirs for a year
Your right the Hiker Hostel in Georgia is looking for a Couple to rum it for a year..Call it an internship and you can see if you like it without a commitment of your own finances skymom..

max patch
10-22-2013, 21:45
I was really looking forward to the pancake and bacon breakfast at Harrison Camps in Maine on my thru. When I got there they did not serve breakfast to the thrus that day. It was the FIRST DAY that entire season that they had no regular paying customers staying at the camp, so they took the day off and enjoyed themselves.

So what I'm saying if you want to open a hiker hostel cuz you like to hike you may not find yourself doing much hiking.

Praha4
10-22-2013, 22:23
good place for a hiker hostel on the trail is where the AT crosses that bridge over the Interstate Hiway near Bland, VA. There's some kind of retirement home looking building and a church right next to the trail, near a long roadwalk.

Jeff
10-23-2013, 10:24
good place for a hiker hostel on the trail is where the AT crosses that bridge over the Interstate Hiway near Bland, VA. There's some kind of retirement home looking building and a church right next to the trail, near a long roadwalk.

That area is also served by Trubrit and his "Fort Bastian". Mixed reports from hikers this year, but you can't beat his price...$0.00.

Jeff
10-23-2013, 10:27
I was really looking forward to the pancake and bacon breakfast at Harrison Camps in Maine on my thru. When I got there they did not serve breakfast to the thrus that day. It was the FIRST DAY that entire season that they had no regular paying customers staying at the camp, so they took the day off and enjoyed themselves.

So what I'm saying if you want to open a hiker hostel cuz you like to hike you may not find yourself doing much hiking.

Very true indeed. Keep in mind during the 3 month thruhiker season you work 7 days a week/18 hour days.

map man
10-23-2013, 23:00
Something halfway between Daleville and Waynesboro (the Glasgow/Buena Vista area) would be a very useful place for a well run hostel when it comes to the logistics of resupply. That stretch is 134 miles long and no services are very handy to the trail as it stands now.

aficion
10-23-2013, 23:10
Very true indeed. Keep in mind during the 3 month thruhiker season you work 7 days a week/18 hour days.

Boo Hoo. All hotels work 24/7 365 days a year. Many restaurants too.:-?

aficion
10-23-2013, 23:16
Something halfway between Daleville and Waynesboro (the Glasgow/Buena Vista area) would be a very useful place for a well run hostel when it comes to the logistics of resupply. That stretch is 134 miles long and no services are very handy to the trail as it stands now.

There are good, established trail people here, both on and off WB who would be glad to see it happen, and be glad to get involved and make it happen as well. If it doesn't happen in the next few years, I'd seriously consider doing it myself.

Deer Hunter
10-24-2013, 13:30
At the north end of Shenandoah NP I have heard rumors Mike Evans is thinking of selling Terrapin Station Hostel.

Buena Vista - Positive comments this year of Blue Dog Art Cafe/Hostel serving the needs of hikers in town.

South of Daleville - Joe Mitchell is already doing a good job at Four Pines Hostel.

Glasgow - The town has tried very well to make Glasgow hiker friendly, but a full service hostel would probably work.

Never noticed this on Whiteblaze before until today:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?790-Bluedogart-cafe-hostel

10-24-2013, 17:31
If you want to start with just dirt, build up everything there is a lot of private property around the Pedlar lake area +- 5-10 miles you do cross several good gravel roads. My buddy has a cabin .5 mile from the trail and you can get much closer! Another place is past Maupin Field shelter it is like 15 miles to the next shelter You go by the Wintergreen ski area which is right off the trail and there are paved roads and land available up high and low. Ya remember the Hard Time Hollow? that was a great stop.

Coffee
10-24-2013, 17:37
If you want to start with just dirt, build up everything there is a lot of private property around the Pedlar lake area +- 5-10 miles you do cross several good gravel roads. My buddy has a cabin .5 mile from the trail and you can get much closer! Another place is past Maupin Field shelter it is like 15 miles to the next shelter You go by the Wintergreen ski area which is right off the trail and there are paved roads and land available up high and low. Ya remember the Hard Time Hollow? that was a great stop.

Wintergreen is a great area. I looked at properties on the mountain several years ago. I do recall that there was a homeowner's association, however, so there could be restrictions on use. I also looked at lots of nice property outside of any HOA somewhat lower on the mountain on route 664 as well as in Nellysford. However, I'm not sure if hikers would be able to hitch off the AT down 664 or not to get to a hostel. Nellysford is a nice little town.

OzJacko
10-26-2013, 06:18
Breaking the trend for "beautiful" spots on the trail I would recommend near Atkins.
The hotel there is not hard to compete with and you would be closer to other sources of customer (cars, bikes etc).
It would be a good area to supplement the hostel income with shuttle runs.
You wouldn't have to be too close to the interstate, just handy somewhere nearby.

Starchild
10-26-2013, 06:42
Another vote for Damascus, when I hiked in everything was full, luckily I got a cabin in back of someone's home with 3 others that is not in the book (nor to they want to be). But for what is suppose to be the most hiker friendly trail town they are lacking accommodations for us. The church hostel there 'The Place', which is the fall back for accommodations had a bad spiritual vibe to me as I walked in and I would have liked to see a alternative.

Beuna Vista as mentioned has Blue Dog Art which seemed to be doing the hikers well.

Glascow <sp> I did not go to but it seemed to split traffic with Buena Vista. Not that this is bad, just a observation. My plan was to go into Glascow, but I had more supplies then I expected so was able to travel on to BV.

Good Luck

Starchild
10-26-2013, 06:45
Breaking the trend for "beautiful" spots on the trail I would recommend near Atkins.
The hotel there is not hard to compete with and you would be closer to other sources of customer (cars, bikes etc).
It would be a good area to supplement the hostel income with shuttle runs.
You wouldn't have to be too close to the interstate, just handy somewhere nearby.

A consideration with this is it's hard to beat the price of a hotel room in Atkins, and it's also hard to beat getting a private room over a bunk, and a trailside place to stay. Yes I do know the condition of the motel, but still a consideration for that location.

Trillium
10-26-2013, 23:39
A consideration with this is it's hard to beat the price of a hotel room in Atkins, and it's also hard to beat getting a private room over a bunk, and a trailside place to stay. Yes I do know the condition of the motel, but still a consideration for that location.What I'd like to know about running a hostel in Atkins is why did the one that was open for a few years recently close. Was it due to personal family reasons or because it did not break even or some other reason?

Rex2
10-27-2013, 02:42
Why are people suggesting Waynesboro? It has the Grace Lutheran..

Jeff
10-27-2013, 08:57
What I'd like to know about running a hostel in Atkins is why did the one that was open for a few years recently close. Was it due to personal family reasons or because it did not break even or some other reason?

Happy Hiker Hollow owned by Rambunny closed (temporarily ??) due to some health related issues.

AT-OMA
03-16-2014, 13:29
I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected].

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 14:06
I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected].

That's great! I'll be sure to pass this info along to everyone I meet. :) I wish you the BEST!

Deer Hunter
03-16-2014, 14:47

Here it is. Saw this the other day. I would like to ride up and check it out one day. Good luck with the hostel, neighbor.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

rafe
03-16-2014, 16:38
I was desperate for a hostel between Damascus and Pearisburg. Way back when. The place in Bastian was a huge letdown. Nasty. Tillie's place was decent (still no shower) but then that was almost to Pearisburg. Don't know what's new down in those parts.

Jeff
03-16-2014, 17:12
I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected]. You should do well especially now that Dutch Haus in Montebello is closed this year.

Since you are not in AWOL's AT Guide or The Companion, you may want to make a poster advertising your services. The closest hostel south of you is Four Pines in Catawba. The owner Joe Mitchell is a great friend to hikers and I imagine he would hang your poster at his place.

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 19:44
You should do well especially now that Dutch Haus in Montebello is closed this year.

Since you are not in AWOL's AT Guide or The Companion, you may want to make a poster advertising your services. The closest hostel south of you is Four Pines in Catawba. The owner Joe Mitchell is a great friend to hikers and I imagine he would hang your poster at his place.

+1 We are having a mini Trail Days in Troutville VA. Flyers might be nice to hand out for this event.

https://www.facebook.com/troutvilletraildays?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

jbbweeks
05-11-2016, 17:22
Worm Hole Hostel-
There will soon be a hostel for thru-hikers and others at Va 615, Laurel Creek. Facility is 75% complete. It is 3/4 mi from trail & will offer cot, shower, shuttle to Bland and hopefully laundry. Working on Internet access & reliable phone signal. Owner (Nightcrawler) hopes to offer limited services for 2017 class thru-hikers. Only affordable donations will be required. More info and formal announcement expected in coming months. Anyone that would like to be part of the project may contact Bruce Weeks - [email protected]

Tapatalk