PDA

View Full Version : Harpers ferry

paul f
10-22-2013, 17:51
Hi all

Can people advise me on the best way to get to harpers ferry from Dulles airport via public transport, and where to best pick up rations before heading out onto the trail. I have the through guide but just want to get peoples thoughts from here

thanks!

Hill Ape
10-22-2013, 18:01
train, depending on the day of travel there are options for which train. if you have a choice of airports, fly into reagan DCA, train station in the airport makes the whole process easier. at IAD you have to catch a bus, then transfer to a train

Coffee
10-22-2013, 18:42
If you fly into IAD and have more time than money, catch metrobus 5A to Rosslyn, then take the orange or blue line to metro center where you will switch to the red line to get to union station. Then take MARC (weekday afternoons/evening only) or Amtrak to Harpers Ferry.

I'm not sure what a shuttle from IAD to Harpers Ferry would cost but it sure would save some time. That is, unless you want to spend some time in DC anyway to see the sights prior to hitting the trail.

moldy
10-22-2013, 19:43
It's like London. You will end up traveling from the end of one spoke of the wheel to another by going to the center. It's not that big a deal. Do exactly like the previous poster say's. 10$ bus to the tube station(Metro), for about 2$ go to Union Station (downtown DC's only real train station). The train service to the tiny village of Harpers Ferry is poor with only afternoon service. 2 Train companies go there. Best is MARC. So find the MARC ticket windows in Union Station. 9$ on the Brunswick Line. About 5 trains every weekday afternoon/evening. If that won't do check with AMTRAK(the national train system) also located in Union Station. The entire trip is 21$, you would be hard pressed to make the journey directly from Dulles to HF for a hundred dollars via a taxi.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2013, 19:50
You can also take the Washington Flyer to the Metro Station at West Falls Church. From there, take Metro to Union Station for your train to Harpers Ferry.

Schedule: http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

FarmerChef
10-22-2013, 20:10
I second Reagan as being the easier of the two routes. The Marc train is convenient but only runs during weekdays and in the morning/late afternoon. So you have to line up your flight at the right time.

There is also a commuter bus that runs from Dulles into DC and you could use that to get to Union Station and Marc. The alternative is to take the metro from Union Station out to Rockville and hop on the Marc there. Wash Flyer is also a good deal, at least to get you over to West Falls Church or Rosslyn.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2013, 20:21
I second Reagan as being the easier of the two routes. ....

Keep in mind that he's flying from the UK. Not too many, if any, flights to National from overseas and they might cost more. BWI might be easier than Dulles because of the frequent train service plus shuttles.

Lauriep
10-22-2013, 20:27
You did specifically ask for public transportation options, which of course are much cheaper than private shuttles But they can take half a day. A private shuttle will take just under an hour, and the route, especially the last 30 minutes or so, becomes increasingly scenic. A good shuttler can orient you to the area en route. You can find a listing of shuttle service providers at www.appalachiantrail.org/shuttles (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/shuttles).

Harpers Ferry has an outfitter and an inn in the historic district (near the train station) that have resupply that is adequate if you're not picky (also not cheap). 1 1/2 miles away at the other end of the town, technically in Bolivar (but closer to the hostel in town), is a convenience store (7/11)

Laurie P.
ATC

evyck da fleet
10-22-2013, 20:57
I think I resupplied from a CVS in DC a few blocks (or more) from the train station and from the outfitter in HF last year.

chiefiepoo
10-22-2013, 21:50
"I'm not sure what a shuttle from IAD to Harpers Ferry would cost but it sure would save some time."

Google 'shuttle Dulles' and find some options. One of the licensed Metro Washington Airports transportation providers posted a rate of $105 for IAD to HF.

39 miles 49 minutes, approximately

LIhikers
10-23-2013, 01:09
Here's an alternative.
Get into downtown DC and walk over to the Potomac River.
Pick up the C+O Canal Trail and walk the 60 or so miles to Harper's Ferry.
There are "official" campsites to stay at and towns along the way to resupply at.
The C+O is very flat, so you'll be able to do it pretty quickly.
The C+O intersects the AT or you can easily go into Harper's Ferry,
Just thought I'd offer an alternative no one else might think to offer.

FarmerChef
10-23-2013, 07:56
Keep in mind that he's flying from the UK. Not too many, if any, flights to National from overseas and they might cost more. BWI might be easier than Dulles because of the frequent train service plus shuttles.

True. If the OP did choose to fly into BWI, he could take the Metro into the Greenbelt station (green line) which he could use to get himself to Union Station and the train. It would probably be even longer and more of a hassle than just getting a private shuttle from IAD to HF.

FarmerChef
10-23-2013, 07:58
Paulf - when are you planning your hike for/arrival for?

chiefiepoo
10-23-2013, 10:06
[QUOTE=LIhikers;1808944]Here's an alternative.
There are "official" campsites to stay at and towns along the way to resupply at.

This is a great idea, too. I have biked this route several times and it would be a good warm up for the trail. If the OP decides to arrive on a week day, the MARC line has runs that will take him to HF or stops along the way at Point of Rocks and Brunswick.
Schedule here;

http://mta.maryland.gov/schedules/display.php?route=brunswick_westbound.xls

Do we know if the OP is heading sobo or nobo?

Cookerhiker
10-23-2013, 10:35
Here's an alternative.

The first such official campsite isn't for about 26 miles - viable for a full day's hike but not if he's starting late afternoon.

But your suggestion gives me another idea - it's not far from Dulles Airport to Leesburg which in turn is close to White's Ferry. Get a shuttle to White's Ferry (cheaper than Harpers), take the old-fashioned across the ferry, and hike on the C&O about 22 miles to where the AT veers off to the right to ascent Weverton Cliffs, about 2 miles before Harpers Ferry.

Cookerhiker
10-23-2013, 11:10
I just looked it up: per Google Maps, it's 40 miles from Dulles to Harpers Ferry, 20 miles to Whites Ferry. So a taxi to the Virginia side of White's Ferry would be less expensive. As I stated, if you're hiking NOBO, you will turn off the C&O before it gets to Harpers Ferry. Now if you wanted to spend time in HF and visit the ATC, that's another consideration.

I wonder how many other AT hikers have flown in to Dulles and accessed the AT via Whites Ferry.

QHShowoman
10-23-2013, 11:43
So freaking complicated, depending when you get in, I may just be able to pick you up at the airport and give you a ride.

Because it's easier than having to read through this thread. :-)

Coffee
10-23-2013, 11:49
FWIW, If hiking the C&O, keep in mind that water at the hiker/biker camps are turned off from November 15-April 15 each year. In addition, Swains Lock water has been off for several years and is the closest camp to DC (around 16 miles). I've been around the Potomac enough to cringe at the thought of using it as a water source, filter or not.

http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm

paul f
10-23-2013, 18:00
Hi all

Thanks for all the suggestions, I didn't realise there would be so many options (I guess we take our public transport here in the u.k a bit for granted, and even I live in a small town!)

Just to add in, hiking nobo into ny state, giving myself a month or so to do it, have distant relatives up there to help out if needed, and planning on arriving about March 18th next year. Would like to start in HP to sign the act register and hopefully get that emotional bond built with the trail (I expect I'll need it).

Ken.davidson
10-23-2013, 21:13
Starting at Harpers Ferry approximately 19 March could still provide for some cold nights with ice or snow. Have a great hike.