PDA

View Full Version : Swelling Feet?

sk3tch
10-22-2013, 19:35
Hey, so I'm prospective for thru hiking in april and I read that some peoples feet actually swell one or two shoe sizes after the repeated days of hiking. I wear a size 15 shoe so I was wondering if this is something that is most definitely going to happen because I don't really have the option of ordering a boot a size larger as 15 is as big as most of the hiking boots go. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!

FarmerChef
10-22-2013, 19:43
First off...welcome to Whiteblaze! :welcome

Second, yes, your feet will swell. They would swell even if you stood still all day on your feet. But add 20-30 pounds or more and walking for 10-20 miles per day and they are definitely going to get bigger all around. Having a size or so larger is the difference between painful feet and sweet relief. But if you can't find a boot that big consider trying a sandal? I've seen some thrus going that route.

aficion
10-22-2013, 19:44
Hey, so I'm prospective for thru hiking in april and I read that some peoples feet actually swell one or two shoe sizes after the repeated days of hiking. I wear a size 15 shoe so I was wondering if this is something that is most definitely going to happen because I don't really have the option of ordering a boot a size larger as 15 is as big as most of the hiking boots go. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!

Wow. Them's some big dogs. I'd save up and look into bespoken 16's at least.

sk3tch
10-22-2013, 21:06
Thank you for the greetings! :sun
I just found out that keen makes some similar models to what I have now, the targhee II, all the way up to a 17! I guess there is still hope of hiking. Do you usually see many larger hikers on the trail? Im roughly the size of a NFL linebacker haha.

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 21:28
Welcome-
I wear 1.5 sizes bigger on a regular basis. I would recommend getting a bigger shoe. Have you tried tennis shoes? You're 21, if your pack isn't over 40 pounds you'll have more options and a better fit. But due to the size of your feet and the highly unlikely event of you finding a replacement I would STRONGLY recommend packing up and hiking, preferably a few back to back days to get an idea of how big you need to go. Some folks swell worse than others, some pick up two sizes in summer. Not to big a deal for most- but in your case solve that problem asap.

fiddlehead
10-22-2013, 21:38
I always figured it was the bones getting bigger, rather than my feet swelling.
Swelling is something that would go down when you stop for a few days.
My feet went from a 9 1/2 to a 11 1/2 after less than 2 years of thru-hiking.
They stayed that big until about 2 years after I stopped.
Now, that I haven't thru-d for over 10 years, I'm back to a 9 1/2.

It won't happen right away. But I definitely wouldn't buy shoes to replace yours once they wear out.
By the half-way point, you'll be wanting bigger shoes than what fit you now.

Good luck and have fun.
I have a friend who wears a 15 normally and took up hiking.
I'm not sure what he wears now. He's done 3 thru's in the past 4 years, But I know his shoes don't last very long.
He goes through a lot more than I ever did.

Another thing, it's harder and harder to get good quality shoes that last IMO.
Years ago Montrail made shoes that would easily go 1,000 miles, they changed owners and cheapened the shoes where they only get 500-700 anymore.
The Vitesse's where the best! Haven't seen them around for years now.

Good luck and have fun.

sk3tch
10-22-2013, 21:47
Awesome!, yeah ill probably go for a few days soon and see how tight they start to fit. I don't think I would consider tennis shoes, my Targhees fit better than any shoes I've ever worn.

kayak karl
10-22-2013, 21:51
its not just feet that swell!

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 23:48
its not just feet that swell!

A swollen ego is a terrible thing to waste. FWIW- You may be one of the few folks to understand this statement- I learned how to speed hike from Bill Mason.

SCRUB HIKER
10-23-2013, 02:35
Counterexample: on both the AT and the PCT, my feet did not increase in size at all. I wore the same size shoe I wear at home on both trails. All the reports I've read of feet swelling, even permanently increasing in size, have not been true for me. It might or might not be the case for you--hard to know until you go out there.

WingedMonkey
10-23-2013, 07:58
I've used the same size "hiking" shoe before after and during. I've worn a half size larger than my "measure" size for about 20 years.

However, with a size as large as yours, I'd recommend lots of test hiking before your attempted thru. I'm assuming there's a large mass those feet are carrying even with out gear.