PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to a desk job after the trail

Sunshine82
10-22-2013, 21:06
I just got a new job at an office,where I sit in front of a screen all day.its really getting to me after being on the trail for awhile.how to deal?

Lone Wolf
10-22-2013, 21:11
freakin' quit. go walkin'. duh!

aficion
10-22-2013, 21:20
I just got a new job at an office,where I sit in front of a screen all day.its really getting to me after being on the trail for awhile.how to deal?

In truth many of us sit in front of a screen all day. At least you are getting paid for it. Save up and hike. Works for me.

Coffee
10-22-2013, 21:23
The month since I got back from the JMT has been my least productive period of work in memory. Not easy going from being on the trail to sitting at a desk.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2013, 21:27

Most people go a bit crazy while their adjusting to their first desk job, I can only imagine it's worse if you're post hike.

Find someone that's rewarding to do that you can fit into your daily life. Martial arts worked for me for the first couple of years that I was a desk jockey. I never got very good at it, but it kept me in shape and was rewarding since it taught me something new. Other people use trail running or other sports. You could also looking into volunteering, just get active and find something that fills a sense of purpose for you.

Just don't let yourself come home every night and waste away your free time just sitting around in front of a TV or computer (like I'm doing right now :D) doing that is a recipie for depression and weight gain.

aficion
10-22-2013, 21:31
Most people go a bit crazy while their adjusting to their first desk job, I can only imagine it's worse if you're post hike.

Find someone that's rewarding to do that you can fit into your daily life. Martial arts worked for me for the first couple of years that I was a desk jockey. I never got very good at it, but it kept me in shape and was rewarding since it taught me something new. Other people use trail running or other sports. You could also looking into volunteering, just get active and find something that fills a sense of purpose for you.

Just don't let yourself come home every night and waste away your free time just sitting around in front of a TV or computer (like I'm doing right now :D) doing that is a recipie for depression and weight gain.

Finding someone who is rewarding to do is always good advice.:)

lush242000
10-22-2013, 21:56

How to deal! Really? For ducks sake. Grow up.

Sent from somewhere.

Dogwood
10-22-2013, 21:57
Place some outdoor trail pics around your work area. Get outside the building for lunch possibly to a nearby park. Hug a tree and feed the pigeons if you have that opp. Get an outdoors nature scene like a waterfall or you on a trail like atop the Mt Katahdin AT northern terminus sign as a screen saver. If you're allowed headphones to listen to music plug into the sounds of nature. Walk or bicycle to work(I do it occasionally, some of the people I work with think I''m crazy for doing it, so satisfying to walk or cycle to work in the rain or with a light snow falling, it also doubles as exercise!). Make sure to let yourself see the outside however you can. See and feel the outside world(visualize it!) every time you walk by a window or out a door to the outside. Absorb it. Cherish it. Embrace the weather; let yourself get absorbed in experiencing the rays of sunshine and the drops of rain when commuting back/forth to work. Choose a career/job that provides for time outdoors(I did changing educational pathways mid way through my formal education so I could do so). If your workplace has an indoor or even outdoor water feature nearby make use of it even if just letting the sensory input of human activity dwindle into the back round. CONTROL your thoughts! Think about how your job is a stepping stone to greater outdoor activity or hiking experiences. SHARE your insights into nature and of hiking with those you work with. Cultivate friendships at work with others who share your passion for the outdoors and hiking. Ask a co worker out on outdoors themed date. Be grateful you have a job with the opportunities that can provide. Know that doesn't mean you have to eat shart all the time though either or you can't creatively obtain some outlet for release relating to the trail or outdoor activities at your job.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2013, 22:09
How to deal! Really? For ducks sake. Grow up.

Sent from somewhere.

Getting an office job IS growing up, they're asking for advice on how to handle it well. What part of that did you think warranted posting an insult?

Dogwood
10-22-2013, 22:15
Even as much as I regularly long distance hike(1500-3800 miles per yr), how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities, and how I've conscientiously designed my lifestyle to be able to pursue my passion for hiking and the outdoors I realize that life is more than hiking and the roller coaster ride called life doesn't always mean I'm atop the highest pt on the ride. To get to the next mountain top with the next outstanding view we must come off the mountain top we're currently enjoying, go down, possibly through a valley, and climb the next mountain. In those valleys are also worthwhile experiences that we should be aware of and embrace because it enables us a path to the next mountain top.

aficion
10-22-2013, 22:22
Even as much as I regularly long distance hike(1500-3800 miles per yr), how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities, and how I've conscientiously designed my lifestyle to be able to pursue my passion for hiking and the outdoors I realize that life is more than hiking and the roller coaster ride called life doesn't always mean I'm atop the highest pt on the ride. To get to the next mountain top with the next outstanding view we must come off the mountain top we're currently enjoying, go down, possibly through a valley, and climb the next mountain. In those valleys are also worthwhile experiences that we should be aware of and embrace because it enables us a path to the next mountain top.

Amen and Amen again.

Spirit Walker
10-22-2013, 22:23
Spend as much time outdoors as you can, however you can. Could be walks at lunch or after work, running in the a.m., hiking, biking or boating on the weekends, etc. Find some short term goals and go for them. Could be climbing all the tall peaks in your state, or hiking all the trails in your area, learning a new skill (skiing?), training for a race, etc.

Start thinking about future adventures you'd like to have. Read some journals, watch videos, believe that there are other adventures in your future, even if it takes a few years before you'll have enough saved to live them.

hikerboy57
10-22-2013, 22:26
save some money, hit the trail again

daddytwosticks
10-23-2013, 07:14
Welcome to the real world...:(

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 07:26
"Work Hard; Play Hard" That' my motto along with "I work to play". I am a long distance hiker plus a desk job. It's amazing to me that I can sit at my desk for long periods of time; but I really enjoy my work. I'm a programmer analyst so it's like figuring out puzzles. So, I guess my suggestion is find something that you enjoy. I'm also a runner and enjoy running in the mountains which helps.

MuddyWaters
10-23-2013, 07:31
Ive been "adjusting" to a desk job for 24 yrs.

The only reason I do it, is because it pays well enough. Period.

Ive worked with too many people that their job identity becomes who they are. Inside and outside of work. Thats sad. We are all brainwashed that we have to work hard and succeed in school, then at a career. Its hogwash.

Sucess at a job, is not the same thing as being happy, not even close.

hikerboy57
10-23-2013, 07:34
happiness at ones work is success.
popping on wb during the day, helps alleviate the angst,helps fill the void when im not out hiking

fredmugs
10-23-2013, 08:36
One of the ways I deal is (if you can get away with it) plan your next trip and allocate some of your work day to plannning your next adventure. I'm going to Minneapolis this weekend (650 mile drive one way) for a big beer festival and I'm scouting every brewery / bar worth hitting up along the way. I do the same for my hikes. I create all of my itineraries in Excel and to the passer by it looks like I'm working. I usually condense the thru hikers guide into a single page Excel spreadsheet and then only take that on my hikes.

Plus you can piss away a lot time on this site as I'm doing right now.

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 08:44
One of the ways I deal is (if you can get away with it) plan your next trip and allocate some of your work day to plannning your next adventure. I'm going to Minneapolis this weekend (650 mile drive one way) for a big beer festival and I'm scouting every brewery / bar worth hitting up along the way. I do the same for my hikes. I create all of my itineraries in Excel and to the passer by it looks like I'm working. I usually condense the thru hikers guide into a single page Excel spreadsheet and then only take that on my hikes.

Plus you can piss away a lot time on this site as I'm doing right now. Why not just use more of the company time and resources to look for another job? I totally disagree and hope that you are just yanking my chain. I feel guilty just answering non working emails. If I was an employer, I wouldn't have any problem with firing anyone that behaved in this manner.

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 08:46
point in fact: I'm late for work because I have been posting on whiteblaze this morning, but at least I'm not being paid for it.

T.S.Kobzol
10-23-2013, 08:47
Here is how I cope with my immaturity in office ;-) :

sit on a yoga ball
post winter 4000 footers list on the wall in front of me with highlighter marking peaks that I have done
bike to work or buy a moped and take it to work regularly
walk on your lunch break
bring a bike to work and bike to lunch
carry gear in your car trunk and work on repairs and improvements during lunch break
bring kayak to work and paddle for a few hours after work
bring a hammock to work and string it at lunch or after work in a nearby park
bring your best smile to work as the next adventure is only a few days away during the upcoming weekend
make weekend outings a priority. Kick your butt out the door no matter what. It's still better to sit next to a trailhead in a hurricane than regretting erroneous forecast from the depths of your comfortable home.

hikerboy57
10-23-2013, 08:53
point in fact: I'm late for work because I have been posting on whiteblaze this morning, but at least I'm not being paid for it. I work on commission my boss could care less what I do at work as long as I produce results.and I do.

Pedaling Fool
10-23-2013, 08:58
I just got a new job at an office,where I sit in front of a screen all day.its really getting to me after being on the trail for awhile.how to deal?But the question is what are you doing during non-working hours?

Either you got a job you hate, period. In which case you should look for a new job.

Or your off-time is not being spent in an active manner, which only makes the sitting at work worse.

One thing you can do is ride a bike to work there's nothing better for getting your blood flowing than dodging cars, kind of like the Running of the Bulls, but everyday. No cup of coffee can perk you up like screwing with bullies in metal cages :D It really is addictive!

You also live in an area good for trail running, not to mention hiking. Crossfit burns about 12 calories per minute...

You stay active, then sitting at work is no problem, unless of course the work itself just isn't for you...

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 09:00
I work on commission my boss to care less what I do at work as long as I produce results.and I do. and your not pretending to be working...

hikerboy57
10-23-2013, 09:07
and your not pretending to be working...we have filters on all the computers, he knows whos doing what. when i quit on him in the spring, before i left, he actually smiled at me and told me "i envy you.i have a business to run, 4 kids to raise, and you, you can do whatever you want, and you really dont give a frack."he knows i can work pretty much wherever i want.
last summer when i sectioned maine, he actually gave me a months extra vacation pay. he appreciates what ive done to help him build his business from one store to four inside of 4 years. as long as i get him results, he'll let me do what i want.when i came back to work in june, i told him i wanted to thru hike next year, and he told me he would always support my personal goals.likei said, i consider myself very lucky.
ps. im still home, not due in today until 11

English Stu
10-23-2013, 09:15
Replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts i.e visualise good times and think of future hikes.

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 09:17
we have filters on all the computers, he knows whos doing what. when i quit on him in the spring, before i left, he actually smiled at me and told me "i envy you.i have a business to run, 4 kids to raise, and you, you can do whatever you want, and you really dont give a frack."he knows i can work pretty much wherever i want.
last summer when i sectioned maine, he actually gave me a months extra vacation pay. he appreciates what ive done to help him build his business from one store to four inside of 4 years. as long as i get him results, he'll let me do what i want.when i came back to work in june, i told him i wanted to thru hike next year, and he told me he would always support my personal goals.likei said, i consider myself very lucky.
ps. im still home, not due in today until 11yep, i have a similar work situation. We are blessed. Like I said, Work Hard; Play Hard.

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 09:19
Ok, no more replies from me until it's dark. I'm off to work, and then some form of outside activity like running or weeding. I need Vitamin D.

Sailing_Faith
10-23-2013, 10:10
I spent a couple decades of my professional life in settings and circumstances that were truly outside my control.

One aspect of travel (sail, hiking, whatever) that is often overlooked is the fantasy. I would spend much time thinking though various trips, things that I needed, wanted to see, preparing for all the "what if" situations.

It was incredibly helpful to me, and frankly I think it helps me a lot. I know it makes me a better Captain now, as I sometimes think of those things and have a plan when things go wrong.

You may have to be "present" somewhere you do not choose to be right now, but you can be "out there" in your heart and mind. Viktor Frankl had much insight into this when he was imprisoned in Auschwitz.... His writings are amazing.

You are only as imprisoned as you allow yourself to believe you are.

Popnfrsh24
10-23-2013, 12:12
Lighthouse here...

It has been almost a month since I finished the trail, and I just started working this week. I was an engineer before I quit, and if I went back to a job like that, I knew I was going to sit at a desk all day. I can't do that at the moment, I can't imagine how hard it is for you. For that reason, I took a job at the warehouse where my dad works just pulling orders. It's pretty menial work, but I would WAY prefer to do that right now than sitting at a desk all day. I walk around a warehouse and pick up product and bring it to the front to ship it out. Most people would think I am crazy for doing this type of work, but I don't care. If you are able to get a warehouse job that would allow you to make enough money in order to survive...I would think about doing that. I am not sure how long I am going to do this for, but I think this job will help me transition back to an office job (....but I highly doubt I will ever do that again!)

Oh ya P.S I am only working part time, which is 30 hrs max. I def think it helps not going straight to 40 hrs a week working. 40 hours is a long time doing something you probably dont really care about too much! The key is just making enough money to survive each month. It looks like It will be tight for me each month, but the trail has taught me to live simply so I don't need a bunch of do re mi every month :)

Good luck,

Lighthouse

bobp
10-23-2013, 17:04
I def think it helps not going straight to 40 hrs a week working. 40 hours is a long time doing something you probably don't really care about too much! The key is just making enough money to survive each month.

May I humbly suggest that it would be as good or better to find something that you WANT to do for 40 (or more) hours each week. It really sucks to hate your job. It probably sucks more (can't speak from experience here) to hate your job AND to have to live on ramen just so that you can spend a little less time hating it. It is a big country and a bigger world... there is bound to be something that you can do to make a living that you will enjoy. It may take time, imagination, and training, but isn't your life worth it?

ChinMusic
10-23-2013, 17:31
We are all brainwashed that we have to work hard and succeed in school, then at a career. Its hogwash.

It's a good thing my future heart surgeon didn't think like this. As the great Judge Smails once said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

Sarcasm the elf
10-23-2013, 17:44
It's a good thing my future heart surgeon didn't think like this. As the great Judge Smails once said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

I tend to agree with MuddyWaters. It's one thing to work hard because you're driven by the desire to go to medical school in order to do real good in the world by becoming a heart surgeon. It's much different to go to college simply because that's what you were told you had to do, then racking up 2/3 of the student loan debt that the future heart surgeon did, only to wind up in a dead end job that gives you no reward or sense of accomplishment.

hikerboy57
10-23-2013, 17:50

I tend to agree with MuddyWaters. It's one thing to work hard because you're driven by the desire to go to medical school in order to do real good in the world by becoming a heart surgeon. It's much different to go to college simply because that's what you were told you had to do, then racking up 2/3 of the student loan debt that the future heart surgeon did, only to wind up in a dead end job that gives you no reward or sense of accomplishment. more than half the people that attend college would be better off finding a trade instead studies show that college is a bad investment

ChinMusic
10-23-2013, 18:13
more than half the people that attend college would be better off finding a trade instead studies show that college is a bad investment
I agree. It's sad but true. I was just using this thread as an excuse to use a Caddy Shack quote.....

Sarcasm the elf
10-23-2013, 18:14
more than half the people that attend college would be better off finding a trade instead studies show that college is a bad investmentWhile i was working hard attending college on borrowed money, my buddies were working BS jobs, having fun and hanging out at the volunteer fire department that we were members of. About the time that I graduated and got a "real" job, they all got hired to paid fire departments. I just finished paying off my student loans this year, and those firefighters with highschool diplomas STILL make more than me.

Sarcasm the elf
10-23-2013, 18:21
I agree. It's sad but true. I was just using this thread as an excuse to use a Caddy Shack quote.....

Ty Webb: Let me tell you a little story? I once knew a guy who could have been a great golfer, could have gone pro, all he needed was a little time and practice. Decided to go to college instead. Went for four years, did pretty well. At the end of his four years, his last semester he was kicked out... You know what for? He was night putting, just putting at night with the fifteen-year-old daughter of the Dean... You know who that guy was Danny?
Danny Noonan: No.
Ty Webb: Take one good guess.
Danny Noonan: Bob Hope?
Ty Webb: Ha ha... No, that guy was Mitch Cumstein, my roommate. He was a good guy.

Tuckahoe
10-23-2013, 18:25
Ive been "adjusting" to a desk job for 24 yrs.

The only reason I do it, is because it pays well enough. Period.

Ive worked with too many people that their job identity becomes who they are. Inside and outside of work. Thats sad. We are all brainwashed that we have to work hard and succeed in school, then at a career. Its hogwash.

Sucess at a job, is not the same thing as being happy, not even close.

This I find pretty sad.

I always count myself very lucky that I have my job and that I love what I do. Yes, it is who I am.

kayak karl
10-23-2013, 18:37
plan for the future. figure out a job you won't be inside and do what it takes to get there. all the jobs i have had i am on my feet 90% of the time and outside over 50%. you only have one life. enjoy it :)

Sarcasm the elf
10-23-2013, 18:54
This I find pretty sad.

I always count myself very lucky that I have my job and that I love what I do. Yes, it is who I am.

Yes, but most of us would agree that you have a rather awesome job.

drifter
10-23-2013, 18:55
It's all about balance..... what feels good, what pays good, what life style one want's and the best, easiest way to make it all work. Lots of give and take. I spent five weeks on the trail this year and now sitting back in my office looking at pictures of MA-VT-NH every time I log on -as others have said I'm already planning my next adventure on the way back but also enjoy the life style I've had for 35 years.

MuddyWaters
10-23-2013, 19:07
This I find pretty sad.

If you do the math, over your adult lifespan, starting at 22 and ending at 78, your time at work is really a paltry 16.36% of your adult life.
Assuming an average 3 weeks vacation, 10 paid holidays, and 40 hr work week, retiring at 65.

If you love your job, great. If you use it to define who you are, I find that sad.

Much better to be a great father, husband, friend, volunteer, etc than a great X at a job.

I often read obituaries of people I know, and sometime some of people that I dont. They are usually only about what the person did for a livinig, nothing more. That is freakin sad that their families cannot come up with anything else to say about the persons life.

Even sadder, often the only people to give a eulogy at the funeral are co-workers that arent even that close to the person.