PDA

View Full Version : Graduate early or skip a year.

windels11
10-22-2013, 21:26
Im planning on hiking the AT when i graduate highschool, and I cant decide which way to go, should i graduate early which means i would graduate in the july when i would be going into my senior year. Or should I just graduate normally and just take a year off before I go to college. Thought I should ask an actuall Thru hikers compared to a councilor.

max patch
10-22-2013, 21:36
If I understand you correctly you are going to graduate HS, hike the AT, and then go to college. The only variable is do you graduate HS early or not. Seems to me that is a question best served by your HS counselor and not us.

I'd probably say graduate HS on time and take as many AP courses as possible during that last year but I really don't know enough about you to comment. Your decision may or may not affect the type of college you can attend and the amount of scholarship or financial aid money. Those questions should be considered by someone who does that for a living - your counselor - not us.

windels11
10-22-2013, 21:46
If I understand you correctly you are going to graduate HS, hike the AT, and then go to college. The only variable is do you graduate HS early or not. Seems to me that is a question best served by your HS counselor and not us.

I'd probably say graduate HS on time and take as many AP courses as possible during that last year but I really don't know enough about you to comment. Your decision may or may not affect the type of college you can attend and the amount of scholarship or financial aid money. Those questions should be considered by someone who does that for a living - your counselor - not us.
Your correct, im already in one accelerated class so I should have a decent amount of AP classes. I tried to talk to my councler and he said yea it would be fine to graduate early but then I went and talked to my crc (college resource center) teacher and she said no to graduating early. I just need some other opinions to really make up my mind.

max patch
10-22-2013, 21:49
Do you know what college you want to attend? If so, I'd ask the recruiter what they think. My sons college recruiter helped us out quite a bit.

hobbs
10-22-2013, 21:49
I say stay the course and Graduate on time. Like your college councler said and get all your financial aid and scholarship paperwork done..

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2013, 21:54

+1 To this, especially the part about loading up on AP classes. Depending on how you do on the exams,AP credits can potentially save you tens of thousands of dollars in tuition costs, that means less of a student loan burden and more financial freedom after college to plan more hikes.

lush242000
10-22-2013, 21:54
Graduate on time Go to college. Then hike.

Sent from somewhere.

MkBibble
10-22-2013, 21:59
Guess I will be the dissenting voice. My thoughts: The AT is great, but you have your entire life ahead of you. Graduate from high school in whichever way benefits your future in college, go to college, graduate, and THEN take the time to hike the AT. But, MOST importantly, talk this over with your parents and your counselor(s); your decision here could affect your future for many years. Good luck!

marshbirder
10-22-2013, 22:01
I agree with the last two responses; hike after college.

windels11
10-22-2013, 22:01
Thanks everyone! I think i will just load up on AP classes then graduate and hike away!!! And no i don't really have a college in mind considering that the trail may change my mind.. Thats why I'm hesitant to decide

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 22:13
Well you saved me a PM.
Graduate on time, but load up on the AP classes anyway so that you can take some blow off classes your senior year.
Senior year, especially when it's a blow off, is fun. As much as many people say they hated HS, do you really want to miss it?

If your HS offers a work program, since you are ahead, you could hit school in the AM and work full time. Unless you are loaded, you'll need money to hike. I did a work release my senior year and was able to work full time and still enjoy high school.

You could also just finish a semester early, not a year- what are you going to do in July? Your only option is a SOBO. Nothing wrong with it, but getting out a semester early your senior year would still leave you some time to prepare/work and still start in spring if you wanted.

SOME parts of the AT will not be accessable to you- you won't be able to drink. If you care. On one hand drinking is not a big deal. On the other hand, as a young fella, being able to hit the bar with the folks you meet along the way is a big part of the fun. Most places will at least let you in, but you could find yourself sitting on the curb if you end up making friends with older hikers- one reason to go to college.

Most people going to college are there 5+ years. Most people waste their own (or their parents) money trying to sort out their life in college. Sort out your life on the trail. A $5k hike is an infinitely cheaper way to find yourself than switching majors six times at $10k plus per year of college. A Huge reason to go before college.

Have a senior year- or at least half of one.
Start preparing.
Get yo azz a job.
Hike before college.
Save money on tutition and learn who you want to be before you pay someone to tell you who you should be.

windels11
10-22-2013, 22:39
Well you saved me a PM. Graduate on time, but load up on the AP classes anyway so that you can take some blow off classes your senior year. Senior year, especially when it's a blow off, is fun. As much as many people say they hated HS, do you really want to miss it? If your HS offers a work program, since you are ahead, you could hit school in the AM and work full time. Unless you are loaded, you'll need money to hike. I did a work release my senior year and was able to work full time and still enjoy high school. You could also just finish a semester early, not a year- what are you going to do in July? Your only option is a SOBO. Nothing wrong with it, but getting out a semester early your senior year would still leave you some time to prepare/work and still start in spring if you wanted. SOME parts of the AT will not be accessable to you- you won't be able to drink. If you care. On one hand drinking is not a big deal. On the other hand, as a young fella, being able to hit the bar with the folks you meet along the way is a big part of the fun. Most places will at least let you in, but you could find yourself sitting on the curb if you end up making friends with older hikers- one reason to go to college. Most people going to college are there 5+ years. Most people waste their own (or their parents) money trying to sort out their life in college. Sort out your life on the trail. A $5k hike is an infinitely cheaper way to find yourself than switching majors six times at $10k plus per year of college. A Huge reason to go before college. Have a senior year- or at least half of one. Start preparing. Get yo azz a job. Hike before college. Save money on tutition and learn who you want to be before you pay someone to tell you who you should be.
This is the best advice I've ever heard!! Thanks so much!! I guess I never thought of graduating a semester early, hmm that's a good idea! I've already started a bank account with about 600 dollars in it from mowing lawns, I am planning on working a summer job since I'm old for my grade so most kids will be at the pool while I'm working but I'm willing to do that because it's for something I've been dreaming about for years! And the whole bar thing isn't really my thing cause alcohol has been around me a lot and I have experienced things that alcohol has done, so I don't really think I will be worrying about the bar but you never know , I might change my mind. And yes I completely agree with the whole get your life figured out on the trail. That's the reason I want to do it before college cause I might be a completely different person then I was when I started. Thanks so much for the advice, hopefully we can keep in touch and maybe even go for a little hike considering you live in the chicago area!!

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 22:42
Keep in mind fella- you'll want to take that $600 and multiply by at least six if you're not partying, by ten to be safe. You got lots of work to do, don't buy anything- just bank it all for now. When it gets time to start looking for gear look me up.

windels11
10-22-2013, 22:47
Keep in mind fella- you'll want to take that $600 and multiply by at least six if you're not partying, by ten to be safe. You got lots of work to do, don't buy anything- just bank it all for now. When it gets time to start looking for gear look me up.
Yea I wouldn't plan on buying anything cause I wouldn't want the risk of growing out of it or anything like that. Lucky I'm almost positive I'm getting about a grand from my parents (for the hike) . So that could help me out a lot.

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 22:53
Concentrate on putting together all the loot you can- get some library books and start doing your homework. Once you know how much you have been able to save you can start making gear choices. But Chicago to Springer, even hitching and walking the last leg cost me $200. Even if you super dirt bag it- you'll need 3k.

windels11
10-22-2013, 23:00
Concentrate on putting together all the loot you can- get some library books and start doing your homework. Once you know how much you have been able to save you can start making gear choices. But Chicago to Springer, even hitching and walking the last leg cost me $200. Even if you super dirt bag it- you'll need 3k.
Yea I was planning on about 5k cause I would like to be sure that I Always have something just in case, so what would you say you spent in total on the trail including towns, repairs , resupplys and all of that stuff.

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 23:04
the rule of thumb is 1k per month plus gear. Don't worry about it for now. Just work your butt off, start doing research for yourself. Once you've done enough of each, it will be time to get specific. Go enjoy Wisconsin.

windels11
10-22-2013, 23:08
the rule of thumb is 1k per month plus gear. Don't worry about it for now. Just work your butt off, start doing research for yourself. Once you've done enough of each, it will be time to get specific. Go enjoy Wisconsin.
Thanks!
Hahaha I will !! I'll be sure to post some pics !! Happy hiking!!!!

ams212001
10-22-2013, 23:18
I graduated in 2009 the year after the financial crisis. I may be jaded about college but I would highly recommend that you still find a trade or college to go to right after your hike. A BA is like an HS diploma these days and the ugly truth of the world is you get more with a degree or a trade than without one.

You have a ton of alternative options other than 4 your institution. Community College is a great alternative. You SAVE a ton of money. The first two years of Undergrad is just pre reqs anyways not matter where you go. So you might as well save money. Plus, if you get your AA from a community college there can be a lot more scholarships offered

IMO, I would sit down with your counselor, parents, and college recruiter and go over the nitty gritty facts. You don't want to burn bridges with your parent before your hike because you will need there support in more ways than one.

Be a smart American/consumer before your hike and have a plan that will help you meet your goals. I don't think it is ridiculous that you want to hike and think it is awesome you have a goal. Balance your dream with reality and you would be surprised at your options.

Just Bill
10-22-2013, 23:34
So the kid finishes high school a semester early- takes a six month hike- likely closer to 4-5 months though at his age if he's not drinking/partying much. Wham- Bam- he's done. Off to college at worst a whopping one semester late. If he finds a trimester school, he'll miss even less.

ams212001
10-22-2013, 23:59
So the kid finishes high school a semester early- takes a six month hike- likely closer to 4-5 months though at his age if he's not drinking/partying much. Wham- Bam- he's done. Off to college at worst a whopping one semester late. If he finds a trimester school, he'll miss even less.

I agree. I don't think it is that big of a deal at all. A lot of people take time off from HS and travel for awhile. I just think it is wise for the OP to explore all of his options with his family while making this decision. If I was his age I would kill for an opportunity like this, but it is nice to guidance even when you are young and know everything.

Just Bill
10-23-2013, 00:16
Fair enough- he PM'd me, told me he's had a few of those conversations and wanted to have one with some backpackers too. If nothing else, you gotta have your head screwed on halfway straight if you have the option to graduate a whole year early.

ams212001
10-23-2013, 00:26
I remember finding a member on here who hiked the trail and had either finished early or went back for his senior year of HS. I can't remember his name but he had a good trail journal to go through.

ams212001
10-23-2013, 01:04
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165700

Really great journal to read!

Dogwood
10-23-2013, 01:54
Sounds like you are asking more than one question 1) should you graduate early 2) should you graduate with the rest of your graduating class as is typical 3) should you take off a yr in between graduating HS and starting college. I think you're asking these questions in regard to the timing of an anticipated AT thru-hike. Hope I got that right!

I graduated HS early by about 4 months taking my final senior exams 4 months ahead of time. Even though I was taking a large class load my entire Junior and Senior yrs including Advanced and College Prep classes I thought HS was academically ridiculously easy and in hindsight should have taken more Advanced HS and College Prep classes. I could have met a greater academic challenge. I regret that academically. Why? I had to basically pay for my own college education through a combination of scholarships, work study, loans, and grants and taking a yr off between each yr of college to work to save for college which meant that the same classes I paid for in college I could have gotten in HS without all the college scholarships, grants, work study, and loans. Also, and this is most important, in my initial choice of a very competitive degree program at a major University in Civil Engineering I was at an academic disadvantage competing with the same students that had already taken HS classes like Advanced Physics, Organic Chemistry, Advanced Calculus, Differential Equations, etc compare to me who chose not to take those classes in HS. They were basically seeing much of the same material in college when we both were required to take those college level classes that they had already been exposed to in HS as I was having to learn this material on a first time basis in an extremely competitive faster paced University level academic environment. If you're also considering seeking such a like degree in a very competitive school taking all the AP and College Prep classes you can will likely have academic benefits. Work carefully and informitively with your HS Counselors, College Recruiter, and family while thinking carefully about your own desires in finding an acceptable balance between academics, growing in social/personal growth skills, extracurricular activities, etc that is RIGHT FOR YOU.

There were also drawbacks in graduating HS early or potentially if I had been skipped grades as counselors/teachers wanted for me in Elementary School. My academic college scholarship not only required me to graduate HS early but immediately start attending College classes which continued through summer that first yr out of HS. I got no break from academics until after the conclusion of my freshman college yr. It was also quite strange socially as I went back to HS graduation to formally receive my HS Diploma after I had already been attending College for over 4 months. For example, I thought it out of place for me to join my HS friends attending graduation parties. It was more like I was there for them not me. I was also already used to relating to more mature members of the opposite sex in college. So much seemed to be accelerated in college including experiencing a much greater level of independence and responsibility. Finishing HS early did affect me socially with the rest of my graduating HS class as well as some extracurricular activities like various clubs and sports I was involved in. I basically had to resign from these extracurricular activities, like being the Co-Captain of the HS Tennis Team and President of the Chess Club, which not only had an effect on me but my teams.

After two yrs at that competitive University I transferred to an even more competitive one. The girls and partying got to me, possibly because something involved with graduating HS early. Maybe, just because a lack of personal maturity. And, all the extremely competitive academics without time off took their toll. I lost my focus academically. I left school with a horribly bad GPA after being placed on academic probation and not being allowed to compete in sports. Took a few yrs off to re evaluate and get clear with what direction I wanted to further pursue. Maybe, I should have done that after my second yr of college. Maybe, I should have thru-hiked the AT then. Who can tell? I was working for this French Master Gardener who took me under his wing during the few yrs off from school. It helped me realize I loved Architectural Landscape Design and horticulture. I had to work outdoors. After getting myself refocused and clear with what I wanted to pursue as a career choice I changed my major to Statistical Mathematics(I needed precious few math classes to graduate with a B.S. in Math after pursuing the Engineering degree), Horticulture, and Landscape Architecture. Good move. I felt I was finally earnestly pursing my passions. I loved the academics, finishing co-Valedictorian with two degrees(added to the B.S. in Math) and 1 yr ahead of time, while enjoying playing both college basketball and tennis.

Find the path that's right FOR YOU. Pursue your passions and make everyday count, make each day your Masterpiece. It's your life. And, don't forgo patience. It might make hiking the AT all that much more appreciated by you and allow you to give back in ways that benefit all. As much as long distance hiking has meant to my life I realize it's only one aspect of my life not all my life. I''l admit though I wouldn't be who I've evolved to be without contemplative long distance hiking. It's helped me attain perspectives I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm a self confessing full blown long distance hiking addict.

windels11
10-23-2013, 07:52
Sounds like you are asking more than one question 1) should you graduate early 2) should you graduate with the rest of your graduating class as is typical 3) should you take off a yr in between graduating HS and starting college. I think you're asking these questions in regard to the timing of an anticipated AT thru-hike. Hope I got that right! I graduated HS early by about 4 months taking my final senior exams 4 months ahead of time. Even though I was taking a large class load my entire Junior and Senior yrs including Advanced and College Prep classes I thought HS was academically ridiculously easy and in hindsight should have taken more Advanced HS and College Prep classes. I could have met a greater academic challenge. I regret that academically. Why? I had to basically pay for my own college education through a combination of scholarships, work study, loans, and grants and taking a yr off between each yr of college to work to save for college which meant that the same classes I paid for in college I could have gotten in HS without all the college scholarships, grants, work study, and loans. Also, and this is most important, in my initial choice of a very competitive degree program at a major University in Civil Engineering I was at an academic disadvantage competing with the same students that had already taken HS classes like Advanced Physics, Organic Chemistry, Advanced Calculus, Differential Equations, etc compare to me who chose not to take those classes in HS. They were basically seeing much of the same material in college when we both were required to take those college level classes that they had already been exposed to in HS as I was having to learn this material on a first time basis in an extremely competitive faster paced University level academic environment. If you're also considering seeking such a like degree in a very competitive school taking all the AP and College Prep classes you can will likely have academic benefits. Work carefully and informitively with your HS Counselors, College Recruiter, and family while thinking carefully about your own desires in finding an acceptable balance between academics, growing in social/personal growth skills, extracurricular activities, etc that is RIGHT FOR YOU. There were also drawbacks in graduating HS early or potentially if I had been skipped grades as counselors/teachers wanted for me in Elementary School. My academic college scholarship not only required me to graduate HS early but immediately start attending College classes which continued through summer that first yr out of HS. I got no break from academics until after the conclusion of my freshman college yr. It was also quite strange socially as I went back to HS graduation to formally receive my HS Diploma after I had already been attending College for over 4 months. For example, I thought it out of place for me to join my HS friends attending graduation parties. It was more like I was there for them not me. I was also already used to relating to more mature members of the opposite sex in college. So much seemed to be accelerated in college including experiencing a much greater level of independence and responsibility. Finishing HS early did affect me socially with the rest of my graduating HS class as well as some extracurricular activities like various clubs and sports I was involved in. I basically had to resign from these extracurricular activities, like being the Co-Captain of the HS Tennis Team and President of the Chess Club, which not only had an effect on me but my teams. After two yrs at that competitive University I transferred to an even more competitive one. The girls and partying got to me, possibly because something involved with graduating HS early. Maybe, just because a lack of personal maturity. And, all the extremely competitive academics without time off took their toll. I lost my focus academically. I left school with a horribly bad GPA after being placed on academic probation and not being allowed to compete in sports. Took a few yrs off to re evaluate and get clear with what direction I wanted to further pursue. Maybe, I should have done that after my second yr of college. Maybe, I should have thru-hiked the AT then. Who can tell? I was working for this French Master Gardener who took me under his wing during the few yrs off from school. It helped me realize I loved Architectural Landscape Design and horticulture. I had to work outdoors. After getting myself refocused and clear with what I wanted to pursue as a career choice I changed my major to Statistical Mathematics(I needed precious few math classes to graduate with a B.S. in Math after pursuing the Engineering degree), Horticulture, and Landscape Architecture. Good move. I felt I was finally earnestly pursing my passions. I loved the academics, finishing co-Valedictorian with two degrees(added to the B.S. in Math) and 1 yr ahead of time, while enjoying playing both college basketball and tennis. Find the path that's right FOR YOU. Pursue your passions and make everyday count, make each day your Masterpiece. It's your life. And, don't forgo patience. It might make hiking the AT all that much more appreciated by you and allow you to give back in ways that benefit all. As much as long distance hiking has meant to my life I realize it's only one aspect of my life not all my life. I''l admit though I wouldn't be who I've evolved to be without contemplative long distance hiking. It's helped me attain perspectives I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm a self confessing full blown long distance hiking addict.
Thanks for the great advice I have a few years to think and decide what to do, but reading your comment really makes me think that Anything can happen, thanks for the great advice !!!

ajwatson
10-23-2013, 08:20
Thanks for the great advice I have a few years to think and decide what to do, but reading your comment really makes me think that Anything can happen, thanks for the great advice !!!
Everyone has said that you should take AP classes to save on tuition. You may already know this, but you won't get credit for all of your AP classes. Even though I took 8 or so APs in HS, only a few of those translated into saving real money. Most classes I only got elective credit outside my major, which is completely useless. Obviously this is difficult to factor in if you don't know where to go, though. I'm with Bill, graduate a semester early and just take a couple classes and work in your fall semester.

modiyooch
10-23-2013, 08:23
I'll way in. 1. You sound like full scholarship material, so do what's in your best interest for the college scholarship. Go to the best school and choose a career path that you think that you want, or that you have aptitude.
2. Graduate with a bachelor degree and HIKE! You are right in that hiking will change you and make things clearer. Then either go back for your Masters, or go back for 2 years to get the bachelor degree that you should have chosen, if you were off.

windels11
10-23-2013, 10:07
Everyone has said that you should take AP classes to save on tuition. You may already know this, but you won't get credit for all of your AP classes. Even though I took 8 or so APs in HS, only a few of those translated into saving real money. Most classes I only got elective credit outside my major, which is completely useless. Obviously this is difficult to factor in if you don't know where to go, though. I'm with Bill, graduate a semester early and just take a couple classes and work in your fall semester.
Hmm forgot about that , I think I will just go with graduating a semester early .

windels11
10-23-2013, 10:08
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165700 Really great journal to read!
Thank you!!!

windels11
10-23-2013, 10:15
I'll way in. 1. You sound like full scholarship material, so do what's in your best interest for the college scholarship. Go to the best school and choose a career path that you think that you want, or that you have aptitude. 2. Graduate with a bachelor degree and HIKE! You are right in that hiking will change you and make things clearer. Then either go back for your Masters, or go back for 2 years to get the bachelor degree that you should have chosen, if you were off.
I feel like I will save a heck of a lot of money hiking the trail out of HS instead of paying for college then hiking and when I'm done not even like the major I got. I would either have to get I job on something I dislike or pay even more money to go back and get the major I want.

jeffmeh
10-23-2013, 11:44
Graduate on time and apply to colleges as if you are planning to go right away. If you get into a school you like that gives you the right aid package, request a year deferral to hike the AT. Most schools respect deferrals to do something worthwhile, and are happy to bring a student in a year later with an extra year of maturity (particularly for boys). Line up a job to make some money to fund your hike, then go for it. That maturity, and the trail experience, should serve you well, regardless of what you choose to do next.

Incidentally, this is what my son (Achilles, 2012), did.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=13208 (http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=13208)

map man
10-23-2013, 22:35
In hindsight, I often wish that I had taken a break between high school and college -- to recharge the batteries, to save some money, to grow up a little more. I often think that some years of national service, military or otherwise, would have done me a world of good, before taking on college. It could be that for you a long hike on a long trail might help out regarding the "recharging the batteries" and "growing up a little more" before college. So whether it's January through August off to do the AT before college, or it's a full 15 months off between high school and college, either option could be beneficial (just so long as you don't waste it playing computer games in your parents' basement!).

hikerboy57
10-23-2013, 22:43
i agree.most arent really dead set on a career path yet, and its nice to see the real world, establish some sense of who you are before you choose a path to take.
a long distance hike can be incredibly empowering when you find out you can go anywhere, do anything you want.it gets you away from commercialism so that you canlearn how to establish priorites that are real and not superficial.it makes college so much easier if you actually are interested in the course you're studying, rather than just going through the motions to get good grades and get through 4 years.

CoffeeBager
10-27-2013, 10:24
College prof here. I wish more students would take time off between HS and college. The maturity you get from being out in the world for a while can go a long way toward helping you decide how to make the most of college when the time is right for you. Just Bill is right that figuring out the next stage of your life is cheaper on the trail than in college. I see way, way too many people in first-year college classes who would be more successful after a little time off from school. People who have taken a bit of time off come back to college with more discipline and a better understanding of how get the most out of college. They make college work for them rather than just going along for the ride and doing college because they aren't sure what else they should do after HS. Jeffmeh's suggestion about deferral is a good one, too, especially if you need to convince your parents or school counselor that you do have a plan beyond hiking.

Marta
10-27-2013, 21:34
My take on the situation is: It depends

How ready for college are you right now? Can you get your work done on time, without procrastinating, and without drama? If not, spend another year in high school and work on those skills. They are super-important in college.

What does your high school have to offer you? Are you cruising through, and have already taken their top college-prep offerings? As other people have already said, depending on the college you go to, AP courses may not actually save you any time and money. But they are probably a better preparation for college work than non-AP courses. (In the worst case, an AP course might allow you to start a college course in the second semester or above, but you won't be as well prepared as the kids who took the first semester in that college. That's a disaster, and happens a lot in foreign language courses, for example, where kids place out of a semester or two and flounder horribly when plunged into the advanced courses.)

How happy are you in your school and living at home? If you're miserable and chomping at the bit to get away, graduate as early as you can.

How much backpacking experience do you presently have? What sort of hiking shape are you in? If one or the other of these areas need work, you could spend the extra year accumulating experience, especially during vacations and holidays.

Ditto with the suggestions to put together as much of your own money as possible, even if your parents are willing to help you financially. That's a very maturing experience in and of itself, and gives you the moral authority to make decisions for yourself and your money.

No matter when you graduate, I vote for hiking before you go to college. The hike will very likely affect your choice of majors and the direction of your whole adult life.

Go for it!

rickb
10-28-2013, 07:58
You have probably asked yourself these questions, but I'll toss them out anyway. No need to answer them on line, of course.

Do you have a plan for what you will do if you leave the Trail after 3 weeks? 3 Months? 6 months?
If not, why not?
Do you have a program/plan in place that will help increase the probability that you will stay on the AT long enough to complete a thru hike?
What is your realistic assessment (as a percentage)that you will make it 1 month down the Trail?
How about 6 months down the Trail?

Odd Man Out
10-28-2013, 10:05
A lot of colleges will allow you to defer your admission for a year, or one semester. This would give you a break of more than 12 months (depending on the HS and College calendars). Since the AT only take 5 month (plus or minus), you would have time to earn some money to pay for your trip, and some of your college expenses. Money is a key issue. I'm OK with parents paying for college, but I think it would be a good experience to earn enough money to pay for your own gap-year expenses.

windels11
10-28-2013, 14:48
You have probably asked yourself these questions, but I'll toss them out anyway. No need to answer them on line, of course. Do you have a plan for what you will do if you leave the Trail after 3 weeks? 3 Months? 6 months? If not, why not? Do you have a program/plan in place that will help increase the probability that you will stay on the AT long enough to complete a thru hike? What is your realistic assessment (as a percentage)that you will make it 1 month down the Trail? How about 6 months down the Trail?
I've asked my self about two of these so far , thanks for some more , I really haven't thought about what I would do if I got off , but I don't find my self as one to quit so idk.. I'll still think these questions very thoroughly out .

hikerboy57
10-28-2013, 14:51
You have probably asked yourself these questions, but I'll toss them out anyway. No need to answer them on line, of course. Do you have a plan for what you will do if you leave the Trail after 3 weeks? 3 Months? 6 months? If not, why not? Do you have a program/plan in place that will help increase the probability that you will stay on the AT long enough to complete a thru hike? What is your realistic assessment (as a percentage)that you will make it 1 month down the Trail? How about 6 months down the Trail?
I've asked my self about two of these so far , thanks for some more , I really haven't thought about what I would do if I got off , but I don't find my self as one to quit so idk.. I'll still think these questions very thoroughly out . even if you don't quit there is the possibility you might get hurt and may have to come off the trail early

windels11
10-28-2013, 15:02
even if you don't quit there is the possibility you might get hurt and may have to come off the trail early
Yea I know I thought of that too , just forgot to type it in, but yea that too

Coffee
10-28-2013, 15:39
In general I'd say seize the opportunity to do something like a thru hike while young and relatively free of responsibility. I was into backpacking and hiking during high school and college and went on some trips, all less than a week and crammed into gaps between school years and summer jobs. One hike in the early '90s was from Happy Isles in Yosemite to Tuolumne. Great trip. I told myself that I would thru hike the John Muir Trail the next year. Well, I did thru hike but this year, 20 years later! You never know what might come up after getting through school. And today, I can't even remember the specifics of why I didn't thru hike the JMT back in the summer of 1993.

Braveheart_SOBO13
10-30-2013, 11:22
Finish high school, go to college, and hike after college-that's what I did and I have no regrets. If you do it that way, the only thing you have to worry about is finding a job when you get home. School should come before the trail. The trail will always be there....

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 12:45
Hey, you received tons of advice, opinions, and hopefully understand more options. You are obviously an intelligent conscientious open minded wisdom seeking young man. You'll come to know what's right FOR YOU. IMHO, WB and the opinions offered here, were constructive. Seemed everyone offered something of good value. Whatever you decide is RIGHT FOR YOU I wish you well. I suspect you'll succeed and accomplish much good in life!

windels11
10-30-2013, 14:32
Hey, you received tons of advice, opinions, and hopefully understand more options. You are obviously an intelligent conscientious open minded wisdom seeking young man. You'll come to know what's right FOR YOU. IMHO, WB and the opinions offered here, were constructive. Seemed everyone offered something of good value. Whatever you decide is RIGHT FOR YOU I wish you well. I suspect you'll succeed and accomplish much good in life!
Thank you!! I never expected so much help!! The AT community is awesome ! And I can't wait to be like all of you thru hikers !! You guys are my biggest inspiration!

Dogwood
10-30-2013, 15:09
Thank you!!

You're welcome.

I never expected so much help!!

Hey, you seemed like a good kid.:) We felt the need to opine anyway. That's usually the way things are around WB.

The AT community is awesome!

Ahh shucks you caught us on a good day.

And I can't wait to be like all of you thru hikers!!

It's quite possible you will eventually have a different opinion.

You guys are my biggest inspiration!

That's nice to say. You are an inspiration to me! :D

windels11
10-31-2013, 10:58
Thank you!! You're welcome. I never expected so much help!! Hey, you seemed like a good kid.:) We felt the need to opine anyway. That's usually the way things are around WB. The AT community is awesome! Ahh shucks you caught us on a good day. And I can't wait to be like all of you thru hikers!! It's quite possible you will eventually have a different opinion. You guys are my biggest inspiration! That's nice to say. You are an inspiration to me! :D
Thanks for all the complements baha! Hopefully one day we will hike together !!

Deadeye
10-31-2013, 13:29
Graduate on time Go to college. Then hike. .

Personally, I'd reverse the order and hike before college. You can always go to college, they're happy to take your money anytime, and what you learn about life and yourself on the trail may be very influential in shaping the course of your future (no pun intended!). The key word, though, is "personally". Do what's right for you and ignore the rest of us.

Deadeye
10-31-2013, 13:30
Thanks for all the complements baha! Hopefully one day we will hike together !!

On second thought, you might want to focus on your education so that you're sure of the difference between compliments and complements!

Mumbles_2014
11-02-2013, 20:17
I graduated high school last year and currently taking classes at a community college. I plan to finish my first semester in December and then work until March for my AT hike. Considering taking a few classes in that time as well. I feel it is not the smartest idea but once I started researching I got obsessed, I don't think it possible for me to think about waiting another year or more.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2013, 20:22
should I just graduate normally and just take a year off before I go to college. Thought I should ask an actuall Thru hikers compared to a councilor.

yeah. do this

MuddyWaters
11-02-2013, 22:09
Do what you WANT to do.
There is no right way, or wrong way to live your life, as long as YOU are happy.
Dont think you MUST do things the way your parents did, or the way everyone else does.
Doing a hike before college is fine. Doing it during college is fine. Doing it after college is fine.
Just make sure you GO to college. Honestly today, its best to plan on graduate school as well.

This young lady completed a solo 1000 mile traverse of the Brooks range in Alaska.
http://milesforbreakfast.com
She wrote an article on it for BPL, which you have to me a member to read (unless purchase separately), but she sums it up with her closing statement in the article:

"I am 26 years-old. I don’t have a penny to my name, but boy do I have some stories to tell."
"Get out and Live!"

She hiked the LT in 2006,
then the AT in 2007, which would have made her 19 I believe.
Of course then she did the PCT in 2008
And the CDT in 2010
AZT in 2012
GET 2013