PDA

View Full Version : What are peoples experiences with resupplying?

nickgann
10-23-2013, 13:38
Looking for advice or ideas on resupplying without doing any mailings... Also when is the 2014 AT guide planning to be released? Figure that will help to see how much you need to resupply from city to city.

Old Hiker
10-23-2013, 13:45
I was able to buy pretty much too much of everything up to mile 500 when I had to stop. My problem was seeing "just one more" item. I was VERY worried about running out of food. Which I didn't. Didn't even come close.

Plenty of what I wanted except for mini-bagels. Those got scarce to non-existent from TN on.

RED-DOG
10-23-2013, 14:06
It all depends on how many MPD you plan to do, on both my NOBO's, 2006 and 2012 i bought all my food along the trail, for me it was 4-6 days of food between each resupply, such as i started on springer with three days of food, made it to neels gap in two days, i had 1 day left over.
1 Neel's gap to Hiwasee GA 2 days ( i had three days of food, bought 2 days at neel's gap.
2 Hiwassee GA to Franklin NC 4 days of food.
3 Franklin NC to Fontana damn 5 days of food.
4 Fontana damn to Standing Bear Hostel 5 days of food ( i don't go to Gatlinburg ).
5 Standing Bear to Hot Springs NC 3 days of food but i do it in 2 ( i always keep an extra day of food ).
6 Hot Springs to Erwin TN 5 days.
7 Erwin TN to Hampton TN 5 days.
8 Hampton to Damascus 3 days.
9Damascus to the truck stop in Atkins 4 days.
10 Atkins to Pearisburg 5 days.
and so on the AT Compannion is a lot of help they should be out in Jan or Feb, and remember they are places between the towns you can stop and get a few things, you don't have to carry a lot of food, i do because i don't like going in to towns

hikerboy57
10-23-2013, 14:10
if you're not doing food drops, you dont need to overthink it. i planned my food supply based on the next convenient town. sometimes it was 3 days, others as much as 6 days.mostly 3-5 days.the only area its a bit of an issue is in the 100 mile wilderness in maine.

FarmerChef
10-23-2013, 14:19
I started with mail drops thinking it was cheaper and I could use my own dehydrated food. In the beginning that was true since it was closer to home for me but now that I'm at either end of the trail it is just plain easier to buy resupply items on the trail and only ship ahead the kind of ingredients I can't easily get in town (dehydrated veggies and meat). If I was to do a thru, it would be no different. Dehydrate or buy my veggies and proteins. Buy all starches and pouch proteins, desserts, snacks, etc. along the trail. It's just too easy to do this and not really that expensive. Did I mention it's convenient too? Ok. The only place that really did get me (so far) was in New England. I planned resupply at local shops and was shocked at what some of the smaller deli/convenience stores up in Vermont/NH sell things for. I mean wow. ;) But that's such a small percentage of the trail overall it's really not too much to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

RED-DOG
10-23-2013, 14:25
Most folks starts with way too much food thinking they will run out and starve, don't worry about it they are plenty of places to stop and resupply, you will not run out of food.

RED-DOG
10-23-2013, 14:37
Also there's some great resupply Info on the WB home page by Baltimore Jack.

max patch
10-23-2013, 14:56
Also there's some great resupply Info on the WB home page by Baltimore Jack.

I think that series of articles is the best thing on this website. Heres a link to the various sections:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply

nickgann
10-25-2013, 23:36
You guys rock. Thanks for all the amazing help in spite of my clearly low investment in terms of value added to the forum. These answers far exceed what I really expected and at the same time are exactly what i want to hear!

bobtomaskovic
10-25-2013, 23:45
It's easy to buy as you go. It really is. I did it on my 2011 hike and wouldn't do it any other way.

garlic08
10-26-2013, 09:44
I came to the AT with PCT and CDT experience, where 100-mile resupplies are the norm. So my viewpoint is skewed. I saw the AT as a continuous stream of groceries and restaurants, even people cooking food for you at road crossings (trail magic).

My experience is that if you can hike 100 miles without resupply, you won't need maildrops. An added bonus of that skill is being able to skip lots of towns, especially those that require a hitch. I think that adds to the wilderness experience. And lowers the cost, by the way.

A couple of posters made reference to the fear of running out of food. That's kind of a big deal for many, and it was one of the great lessons I learned on my first thru hike. It's OK to go a little hungry--most of the world does it every day--you're not going to blow up. My goal on a resupply is to come into town with a food bag that's been empty since breakfast. That day of hiking light and fast is always a pleasure.

aficion
10-26-2013, 10:27
I came to the AT with PCT and CDT experience, where 100-mile resupplies are the norm. So my viewpoint is skewed. I saw the AT as a continuous stream of groceries and restaurants, even people cooking food for you at road crossings (trail magic).

My experience is that if you can hike 100 miles without resupply, you won't need maildrops. An added bonus of that skill is being able to skip lots of towns, especially those that require a hitch. I think that adds to the wilderness experience. And lowers the cost, by the way.

A couple of posters made reference to the fear of running out of food. That's kind of a big deal for many, and it was one of the great lessons I learned on my first thru hike. It's OK to go a little hungry--most of the world does it every day--you're not going to blow up. My goal on a resupply is to come into town with a food bag that's been empty since breakfast. That day of hiking light and fast is always a pleasure.

This^ .

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2013, 10:55
Nick: Unless you're on some sort of speacialized or restricted diet (vega, kosher, no-salt, etc.) or unless you have the time and wherewithal to prepare and dehydrate your food ahead of time, I think you'll discover that most hikers prefer to shop and re-supply while actually en route, as opposed to preparing "maildrop" boxes ahead of time. There are really very few places where it might still be a good idea to have food sent, for most folks, it seems to work out better to purchase while en route, and your guidebook will provide you with everything you need to know as far as where these re-supply places are located. The main reasons to buy as you go, in brief:

1. You'll buy only what you need. Most people's maildrops, especially early on, contain much too much stuff, and you either give a lot away, or spend money mailing
unwanted stuff ahead.
2. Maildrop re-supply will cost you hundreds of dollars in postage fees.
3. You have to make sure your maildrop gets to the right place, plus you're dependent on Post Office hours of operation, schedules, etc.
4. You may well get sick and tired of certain foods, but if you've bought the stuf and boxed it up ahead of time, you're essentially stuck with it. Eating food you hate
is no fun.
5. You'll get lots of food ideas by observing what other people are eating.

Anyway, for all these reasons and more, most present-day hikers seem to do better while buying as they go. Best of luck!

Chopsbenedict
11-15-2013, 15:32
my question/issue with resupply as you go is that you have to be spending money while you arent making any. total beforehand prep means you can be essentially broke for 6 months. you obviously wont be able to go totally without money for 6 months, gotta pay your rent or mortgage i suppose, and emergency fundage, i think my thru isnt going to happen this upcoming year, but the next, but i plan to have a very high percentage of what i eat already taken care of at send off. A caveat is that im willing to eat the same old boring stuff day after day and dont need much variety, which makes the beforehand plan fit even better for me. I would also bet that even taking shipping costs into account that people spend more buying everything along the way, it might not seem like a lot but it adds up.

ChinMusic
11-15-2013, 15:59
Did my '13 thru with zero food drops. Resupply is just not an issue unless you have special dietary needs/wants.

Don H
11-15-2013, 16:53
I saved in my phone Baltimore Jack's resupply articles http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply That gave me an idea how many days of food I needed to buy between resupply points and where the stores were. It's a little dated but still very useful.

I also had 5 four day mail drops made up before I left and used 3 of them. I didn't do a mail drop in Adkins, VA but would next time since the only place within walking distance to the trail is two gas station/convenience stores. The Barn Restaurant accepts drops there and it's right on the trail and has great food.

Dogwood
11-15-2013, 18:44
Thread topics like this remind me of my first time to Manhattan going to the top of the Empire State Building. After much timely frustration and feeling lost adrift in a very tiny boat in a sea of skyscrapers, concrete, glass, steel and people I finally got someone to tell me where the Empire State Building was. "You're in front of the Empire State Building" was the man's reply. All I had to do was notice the words on the building, what intersection I was near, what the building looked like etc. Don't people know how to do an internet, WB, etc search?

Rasty
11-15-2013, 19:29
Thread topics like this remind me of my first time to Manhattan going to the top of the Empire State Building. After much timely frustration and feeling lost adrift in a very tiny boat in a sea of skyscrapers, concrete, glass, steel and people I finally got someone to tell me where the Empire State Building was. "You're in front of the Empire State Building" was the man's reply. All I had to do was notice the words on the building, what intersection I was near, what the building looked like etc. Don't people know how to do an internet, WB, etc search?

The hot dog carts get in the way when looking for the Empire State building. Same thing happens here.

evyck da fleet
11-15-2013, 19:56
I did my thru w/out mail drops. I resupplied from Dollar General, Wal-Mart and grocery chains the entire way until Maine. I would think the postage and cost of excess food given away would far outweigh any pre hike savings you could get from purchasing all your food beforehand. If you don't have the discipline to save up for the cost of food, replacement gear etc for a thru hike beforehand, are you going to have the discipline to not burn through whatever cash you bring for things other than food on the occasional town stop, bar, meal or deli with trail friends if/when you become tired of eating the same thing over and over again. Just something to think about.

Coffee
11-15-2013, 19:59
I used to think that the cost of postage would make it cheaper to resupply in towns. But that might not be true based on the high prices of things like Clif bars in small towns. I can almost justify the cost of a medium flat rate box based on savings on Clif bars alone (99 cents at trader joe vs $2+ in many small towns). I go through lots of energy bars.

A.T.Lt
11-15-2013, 20:26
Reminds of once standing in Times Square on New Years Eve and being asked "What time does the ball drop??" I ***** you not!

oldwetherman
11-16-2013, 19:55
I really fell in love with mail drops.....especially since I wasn't doing them! I scored many wonderful dehydrated meals from folks that were doing mail drops and couldn't carry it all!

rusty bumper
11-17-2013, 11:17
I had only one maildrop on my hike....at Monson prior to entering the 100 mile wilderness. I decided it'd be best to carry freeze-dried dinners for that portion of the hike rather than my normal, but much heavier, tortillas, tuna, cheese, and peanut butter.

MuddyWaters
11-17-2013, 15:51

+ this.

However it is likely a bit different for folks with a 45 lb pack hiking 10 mpd than someone with a 20 lb pack hiking 25 mpd.

One of the greatest benefits of a very light pack, is the ability to cover more miles and carry less food for the distance.
With the mileage ability comes knowledge that you are never very far timewise from a town, medical help, or food.
So you can just stop worrying about those things as much.

You dont have to hike that pace. Knowing you CAN is the thing.

Nuggz
11-19-2013, 20:32
I'm starting in April and I have no idea where I'm going to get food. Im betting on that I will just figure it out as I go.

ChinMusic
11-19-2013, 20:57
I'm starting in April and I have no idea where I'm going to get food. Im betting on that I will just figure it out as I go.

Start with three/four days worth and you will be fine.

swonut
11-19-2013, 22:20

That's pretty close to my strategy. I figure by taking and wrapping my debt card with a few bills and a rubber band, I'll be able to adjust on the fly... I often think that I'm way over thinking this...

Jeff
11-20-2013, 10:45
For some reason I (and others I have spoken to on the subject) seem to lose my appetite for the first few days of a hike. Eventually it kicks in.

Venchka
11-20-2013, 13:51
my question/issue with resupply as you go is that you have to be spending money while you arent making any. total beforehand prep means you can be essentially broke for 6 months. you obviously wont be able to go totally without money for 6 months, gotta pay your rent or mortgage i suppose, and emergency fundage, i think my thru isnt going to happen this upcoming year, but the next, but i plan to have a very high percentage of what i eat already taken care of at send off. A caveat is that im willing to eat the same old boring stuff day after day and dont need much variety, which makes the beforehand plan fit even better for me. I would also bet that even taking shipping costs into account that people spend more buying everything along the way, it might not seem like a lot but it adds up.

Currently, each USPS Large Priority Mail Box costs $16 to ship. Think about it. Before you go rooting and digging for cheaper shipping, Fuhgettaboutit. Been there. Done that. USPS Priority is the least expensive way to ship 1-2 weeks worth of food.

... Don't people know how to do an internet, WB, etc search?

Common sense. Self-Directed. Independent study. All lost arts in today's world.

Wayne

Leanthree
11-21-2013, 00:56
Start with three/four days worth and you will be fine.

I am planning to do this section in April. Neels Gap is listed as a short-term resuppy in the companion, I know it isn't a grocery store so what sort of food do they have?

Venchka
11-21-2013, 01:28
I am planning to do this section in April. Neels Gap is listed as a short-term resuppy in the companion, I know it isn't a grocery store so what sort of food do they have?
Look them up on the web. Call and ask them what they stock. THEY being the folks at Mountain Crossing. A full service outfitter.

Wayne

ChinMusic
11-21-2013, 01:34

They have lots of options. I cannot remember specifics. Like you said they aren't Walmart but they will do just fine. You will be resupplying at places with far less choices along the trail.

off-pher
11-22-2013, 22:41
The last time i was there they had tuna, peanutbutter, crackers, chips, cold drinks,
mountain house, candy,power bars, oatmeal, mac & cheese and they have hot dogs
on the roller thingy and some more things. You can buy enough to get by on. They also have a hikers box!

SS/SB
12-25-2013, 13:56
ditto buddy roll, ditto

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2014, 12:02
The food re-supply at Mountain Crossings is excellent. There are all sorts of options for breakfast, lunch, dinners, snacks. For those on a higher budget, they also have all sorts of freeze-dried stuff like Mountain House dinners. Unless you're on some sort of specialized diet or have dehydrated or prepared your own meals, there's really no need to send food sent here. Also, most folks go into Hiawassee a few days after leaving Neel Gap, (two large supermarkets there) so whether you send yourself a box to Neel Gap, or buy what you need upon arrival, keep in mind that you don't need much.

lonehiker
02-21-2014, 21:45
Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles are about the only information you need ref. this subject.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 22:58

That's pretty much what we all did.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 23:01
For some reason I (and others I have spoken to on the subject) seem to lose my appetite for the first few days of a hike. Eventually it kicks in.

Takes me about four days to get an appetite, I try to carry food I enjoy eating for those days.

Sly
02-22-2014, 10:05
Not only for food drops you can use the AT Mailing Labels page for gear drops, maps/sections of guidebooks, fuel (surface only) etc.

AT Mailing Labels (http://www.soruck.net/at/)

Lone Wolf
02-22-2014, 10:07
Looking for advice or ideas on resupplying without doing any mailings... Also when is the 2014 AT guide planning to be released? Figure that will help to see how much you need to resupply from city to city.5 thru hikes, no food mail drops. i bought town to town

AngelEyez
02-22-2014, 12:56
doing mail drops. The standers look to be 3-5 days give or take is it unreasonable to go 7-10 or more if doing mostly dried food meals. Are there weight standers

bamboo bob
02-22-2014, 20:27
3 end to end hikes never a mail drop.

takethisbread
02-23-2014, 17:52
3 end to end hikes never a mail drop.

I find mail drops to be a pain. I ressupply as i go and I find folks who do mail drops waiting for post offices to open or holding back till they open, it seems like a whole lotta fuss for no reason, unless one has dietary restrictions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shakespeare 1990
05-10-2014, 21:41
Most hikers quit the mail drops after two or three long hitchhikes followed by long waits for the PO to open... It is easier just to buy whatever is in the local store. And a good general rule is never carry more than 3-4 days worth of food, except maybe in the hundred mile wilderness. If you are disciplined, you can resupply every 3 days and save a lot of weight.

Shakes

cheetahgeek
05-17-2014, 22:01
I planned to use mail drops the whole way. Dehydrated and vacuum sealed all the goodies I purchased for the trip. I found that I didn't want most of the food I had put in my boxes. The protein bars were great though. I had to buy them online. Huge amount of protein, and vitamins. I ended up using a combo of what was in my box and food from stores along the way.