PDA

View Full Version : FYI HI hostel Harpers Ferry

Ken.davidson
10-23-2013, 20:47
FYI HI hostel Harpers Ferry is open. For SOBO about 2 miles before Harpers Ferry the HI hostel is open until 1December. Take a right up the hill about .3 mile before the green bridge (Rt 340) that crosses the river. You will have to cross railroad tracks and go up hill about .3 miles. Cost is $25.40 the for the night. There is no signs because of the National Park and C&O canal. Call in advance 301.834.7652. Address is 19123 Sandy Hook Rd. Knoxville, MD 21758 Clean place and the people are friendly.

Lauriep
10-23-2013, 21:37
Good to let hikers to know the HI Harpers Ferry Hostel (in Maryland, a few miles north of Harpers Ferry) is open, as their dates have been variable over the years and a number of other hostels along the A.T. are closed this time of year. The HI Harpers Ferry Hostel has just about everything a hiker is looking for.

However, the reason there are no signs to access the hostel at locations along the C&O Towpath is because this route crosses tracks owned by the CSX Railroad. It is private property and there have been two fatalities on the railroad tracks here. That is also the reason the NPS does not sign the crossing and the Potomac A.T. Club no longer blazes it. A.T. hikers should know it is not legal to cross the tracks at any point other than the official A.T. crossing at Weverton/Keeptryst Rd.

The legal access to the hostel for southbound hikers is to turn right onto Keeptryst Road (1/2 mile south of Weverton Road, just about 50 yards before the C&O Towpath), go 0.9 uphill, then turn left onto Sandy Hook Road and go downhill 0.2.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-23-2013, 23:26
Great place to stay....Lorretta is just wonderful!

Des
10-24-2013, 14:57
Great place to stay....Lorretta is just wonderful!
+1
And free make your own pancakes is always a plus.

FarmerChef
10-24-2013, 15:03
Is that where those strange blue blazes are on the C&O? My wife and I run that section often always wonder what they're there for. Makes sense that there's a hostel up there. I sure wouldn't want to drink any of the water around there ;)

Statue
10-25-2013, 10:15
Tried to stay there on my thru and is was booked out by over 100 church group members. Good to see it's open to hikers again.